RatkoVarda

2020 Trade Deadline

51 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

29544224-EACD-4590-8049-815D2923D997.thumb.png.877d7f01ce7109e7146124429538a076.png

The Tigers need a veteran presence in right field and I know just the person. 

Just what we need, another white honky muh-fuh

38 minutes ago, sabretooth said:

Good lookin' corn, tho

Nobody ever shows that field when the corn is low. Don't they play baseball in Iowa in June? You could only have maybe Eddie Gadell disappear into the corn if the game was in June. And maybe Dustin Pedroia.

I knew a guy who was so short that you could see his feet in his driver's license picture. That's short.

I wonder if Zack Short could get lost in the June corn...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Zack Short would dive into the corn to make a catch if the game was on the line.  And even if it weren't.  

Yes, he’s a gamer, but he has one of the worst nicknames in MLB— Zach “I will cut any of you mother ****ers that call me“ Short.  Thanks a lot, Chris Berman.

6 hours ago, socaltiger said:

I was referring to him also being over rated by top 100 list in lieu of his slow start

Mike Trout hit .220/.281/.390 in 135 PAs in his first season.

3 hours ago, sabretooth said:

Just what we need, another white honky muh-fuh

That is “another old white honky mug-fuh” to be exact. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Yes, he’s a gamer, but he has one of the worst nicknames in MLB— Zach “I will cut any of you mother ****ers that call me“ Short.  Thanks a lot, Chris Berman.

The problem is you can't be gritty if your name is Zachary.  

11 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Nobody ever shows that field when the corn is low. Don't they play baseball in Iowa in June? You could only have maybe Eddie Gadell disappear into the corn if the game was in June. And maybe Dustin Pedroia.

I knew a guy who was so short that you could see his feet in his driver's license picture. That's short.

Will you be here all week? Should I try the veal?

8 hours ago, TigerNation said:

Mike Trout hit .220/.281/.390 in 135 PAs in his first season.

Mike Trout was nineteen.

10 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Chris was going through a bit of a dark phase at that time.

12 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

You had to take a double entedre and turn it into something literal.

14 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

29544224-EACD-4590-8049-815D2923D997.thumb.png.877d7f01ce7109e7146124429538a076.png

The Tigers need a veteran presence in right field and I know just the person. 

Screw you, Roy Hobbs...........oldest rookie ever right here !

I wonder whether we'll see another 18-year old play in the majors ever again? A-Rod is the most recent one and that was a quarter century ago.

15 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I wonder whether we'll see another 18-year old play in the majors ever again? A-Rod is the most recent one and that was a quarter century ago.

I think so. There are so many International kids signed at 16, there is bound to be a kid that puts it together quickly. Plus, I think there is a good chance that the service time system may be changed to an age-based system that encourages teams to call up their good young players based on performance. So I could even see a high schooler drafted at age 17 make his debut a year later.

Interesting to think about at least. 

32 minutes ago, chasfh said:

According to which birth certificate?

22 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

According to which birth certificate?

The one that I have it on good (anonymous) authority is a fake!

4 hours ago, Shelton said:

I think so. There are so many International kids signed at 16, there is bound to be a kid that puts it together quickly. Plus, I think there is a good chance that the service time system may be changed to an age-based system that encourages teams to call up their good young players based on performance. So I could even see a high schooler drafted at age 17 make his debut a year later.

Interesting to think about at least. 

In a world where anything is possible, it's possible. The level of play of the major leagues today is so very far above the level of league that any 17- or 18-year old would be coming out of.

I'm not sure there's a way to measure it, but I'd bet the major league level is relatively much higher compared to high school, even for baseball factory-level players, than it was 75 or 50 or even 25 years ago, if for no other reason than the expanded pool of player origin is greater than it has ever been, with more of the best players from more places around the world, pushing up the bar to making the majors in the first place.

It's probably not mere coincidence that the vast majority of all the 18-year olds who have ever played big league ball played during a time when the pool for major leaguers consisted exclusively of white America.

To your point, a lot of internationals are signed at age 16 and have been for decades, but even so, the only 18-year old international to make it in the last 50 years was Alfredo Griffin, and he was overmatched until he was 21. Even freak-of-nature man-child Adrian Beltre didn't break in until after his 19th birthday.

As for Americans, Bryce Harper, SI cover boy at age 16, forewent his final year of high school to play juco ball for the expressed purpose of getting to the major leagues as early as possible, and yet even he couldn't manage to debut closer to his 19th birthday than his 20th birthday.

All that said, all it takes is for one 18-year old to break through to prove me completely wrong. But even with changes in service time acting as an incentive to bring on younger players, given the way MLB organizations have being stressing player development within their system at all levels, even at the majors, it's hard for me to imagine even another Adrian Beltre-type busting through the system in less than three years and debuting before his 19th birthday. The system is just not designed to fast-track still-growing boys to the majors in that way.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

In a world where anything is possible, it's possible. The level of play of the major leagues today is so very far above the level of league that any 17- or 18-year old would be coming out of.

I'm not sure there's a way to measure it, but I'd bet the major league level is relatively much higher compared to high school, even for baseball factory-level players, than it was 75 or 50 or even 25 years ago, if for no other reason than the expanded pool of player origin is greater than it has ever been, with more of the best players from more places around the world, pushing up the bar to making the majors in the first place.

It's probably not mere coincidence that the vast majority of all the 18-year olds who have ever played big league ball played during a time when the pool for major leaguers consisted exclusively of white America.

To your point, a lot of internationals are signed at age 16 and have been for decades, but even so, the only 18-year old international to make it in the last 50 years was Alfredo Griffin, and he was overmatched until he was 21. Even freak-of-nature man-child Adrian Beltre didn't break in until after his 19th birthday.

As for Americans, Bryce Harper, SI cover boy at age 16, forewent his final year of high school to play juco ball for the expressed purpose of getting to the major leagues as early as possible, and yet even he couldn't manage to debut closer to his 19th birthday than his 20th birthday.

All that said, all it takes is for one 18-year old to break through to prove me completely wrong. But even with changes in service time acting as an incentive to bring on younger players, given the way MLB organizations have being stressing player development within their system at all levels, even at the majors, it's hard for me to imagine even another Adrian Beltre-type busting through the system in less than three years and debuting before his 19th birthday. The system is just not designed to fast-track still-growing boys to the majors in that way.

Sure. Whoever it is is going to be a generational player. Juan Soto was 19 and 207 days when he debuted. Harper was 19-195.