RatkoVarda

2020 Trade Deadline

4. Jonathan Schoop, 2B, Tigers
When Jonathan Schoop signed a one-year deal with the Tigers, speculation immediately began that he would be moved by the Trade Deadline. The 28-year-old veteran isn’t likely to be a race-changer, but he would serve as an upgrade for some teams either at second base or on the bench -- and he’ll only make a little more than $1 million during the final month of the season.

Potential landing spots: Dodgers, Athletics, White Sox

https://www.mlb.com/news/players-likely-to-move-at-trade-deadline

Right now, Toronto (13-13) and Baltimore (14-14) are tied for it. The closest team to either is Detroit at 11-15, which is on pace for 68 wins during a typical season ... and still just two games back of a playoff spot. On one hand, a team two games back shouldn't sell. On the other, before winning Friday, the Tigers had lost nine straight, and teams will give them at least something for second baseman Jonathan Schoop or catcher Austin Romine and maybe some others if Detroit is inclined to tear down 2020 and start prepping for '21.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29730354/jeff-passan-mlb-trade-deadline-preview-stars-actually-move-which-teams-sellers

If the Tigers are willing to strike while the iron is hot, then moving JaCoby Jones makes sense. Though he's off to a brilliant start, his underlying measures don't indicate he's stumbled upon a breakthrough. Rather, he seems more likely to settle back in as what he was known as entering the year: an athletic, strikeout-prone center fielder who is league-average at his best. Jones is under team control through the 2023 season, but the Tigers shouldn't wait that long to make a move: because of his swing-and-miss tendencies, he's going to become more and more of an attrition risk as he loses bat speed with each and every passing year.
When the Tigers signed Jonathan Schoop to a one-year deal over the winter, they likely had their eyes on moving him at the deadline. He occupies an odd spot in the league, as he's been productive enough to receive consistent burn on consecutive playoff teams, but he hasn't been productive enough to stick longer than was deemed necessary. Basically, he's the embodiment of that old ideal: the player you start until you can secure a better option. From now until the bottom falls out, Schoop is going to do three things: swing a lot, strike out a lot, and move a lot. Someone is going to need a new second baseman for September, and guess who'll work?
The Tigers needn't have a sense of urgency to move Joe Jimenez, who is under team control through the 2023 season, but it would be nice if another club would accelerate the inevitable breakup. Jimenez's career ERA is nearing 5.50 despite an arsenal that includes a 94 mph rising fastball and a slider that generated a 40 percent whiff rate in 2019. His velocity is down a touch this season, and he's missing fewer bats than usual … and, well, that plus his looming first date with arbitration, sounds like a reason to include him as a non-tender candidate this winter, huh? 

19 minutes ago, leflore said:

I doubt Det makes any trades

They are in a weird spot.  Not good enough to be buyers and not so out of it that they should sell.  If they can only get a Nolan Blackwood vs a Willi Castro in return for a vet, I’d prefer they hold.

I just don't see any vet Tiger bringing a decent offer. And I'm enjoying this team as configured. If they trade Schoop or JaCoby for a mid level prosect I think I'll be disappointed

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

NOW teams are willing to give up prospects?

You know with taylor trammell now being traded twice for meh players, I'm thinking the teams he plays for know more about him than that top #100 lists

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You know with taylor trammell now being traded twice for meh players, I'm thinking the teams he plays for know more about him than that top #100 lists

See Adell, Joe

15 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Padres trading for everyone

This may be some type of record for trades for one team at a deadline.  I count at least 4 catchers coming or going. 

I'm surprised another team couldn't top SD's offer, they gave up a bunch in quantity but considering how good Clevinger is and how young he is Id figure they'd net atleast 1 elite prospect and im not so sure they did.  Arias does sound intriguing though so maybe he turns out to be one. 

13 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

He's a light hitting OFer who derives most of his offensive value from his walk rate as he doesn't hit for a high average. Considering his strikeout rates, I wouldn't bet on him walking 12%+ against MLB pitchers who won't be afraid to pound the zone against a singles hitter.

11 hours ago, socaltiger said:

See Adell, Joe

Who was never traded? Don't get the comparison here.

After feeling the pressure of the surging Tigers the Buffalo Jays have gone and got Robbie Ray.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

After feeling the pressure of the surging Tigers the Buffalo Jays have gone and got Robbie Ray.  

Panic in upper NY State.  

Tigers continue to collect the offspring of Hall Of Famers/Former MLBers joining the likes of Pedro Martinez Jr., Kody Clemens, Daz Cameron,, Cam Gibson and Trei Cruz.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

based on how's he has pitched this season, might work in our favor.

Mike Minor and Robbie Ray net the Rangers and DBs almost zippo

Daniel Norris could blow up at any point; and Tyler Alexander is a decent fill in.

Little faith that Al will make right call with Norris.

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Dereck Rodriguez...The Tigers have become serious buyers.  

how did he fall off so quickly?  I guess it's good to claim these reclamation projects, though they are a lottery ticket.  Like Carson Fulmer.

52 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

BuffaBlow Jays. 

Hopefully Al is taking the stand pat position and letting other teams overwhelm him with an offer(s).  He has traditionally been a horrible poker player, letting the press, fans, and other teams know that we were desperate to make a trade.

54 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

and now Jonathan Villar