Keepleyland2

8/25 @7:10 Chicago Cubs vs Detroit Tigers

team were tied for last in the AL in walks coming in. 7 walks tonight a step in the right direction.

Despite having generally poor team offensive numbers the team's runs scored is reasonable. Bitching about hitting is always a fan prerogative, and they need to hit better to be a good team, but it's mainly about improving runs against for the Tigers to become a respectable team.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shelton said:

I'd move him up towards the top of the lineup.  I really like his overall approach at the plate.

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

I'd move him up towards the top of the lineup.  I really like his overall approach at the plate.

<cough> <cough> Did I hear you right? Lineup batting orders are sacred! <cough> <cough> It's like you’re de-horning a unicorn. It’s not something to be suggested casually. < Shuffling papers> Wait a second <cough> He’s an honest to God Mexican and an infielder? I stand corrected! This is genius!
A747B928-D464-4EA7-98B4-3E0BEB881E0A.thumb.jpeg.00884cdd175e925ba71fc60b441d279e.jpeg

13 hours ago, Shelton said:

Shep: “It is the first time the cubs have had the lead runner on.”

More Shep quotes, please.

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

that was a bad play by Jones. He had plenty of time to get into better throwing position and make a better throw. He might not have gotten him but it should have been a lot closer. It's about a 280' throw at ~ 80-90 mph vs the runner going  90 ft at ~20 mph.

Is that 80-90 MPH at the point of release? What is the speed of a ball thrown, say, 85 MPH at point of release by the time it has reached 280 feet? I assume there's a math for that?

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

team were tied for last in the AL in walks coming in. 7 walks tonight a step in the right direction.

That's less about Tiger hitters and more about Tyler Chatwood.

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

That's less about Tiger hitters and more about Tyler Chatwood.

you can lead a horse to water, it still has to take a drink!

22 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Is that 80-90 MPH at the point of release? What is the speed of a ball thrown, say, 85 MPH at point of release by the time it has reached 280 feet? I assume there's a math for that?

Yeah, you can calculate the drag, but I come from it from here: He  had time to get behind the ball on that catch and didn't - he just did a lazy backpedal. So when he caught it still backing up on his back foot, he made a rainbow throw 20ft off line, which if it had been on line was close enough in time that if he had gotten himself in throwing position on the catch and made a good throw, I have no doubt he would have made the play close enough to have been worth the effort to at least force the runner into a good slide, where there is always a chance he comes off the base, etc.

The point was he was not competing on a play when he should have. That situation was even a case where there was zero downside risk to airing it out.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, you can calculate the drag, but I come from it from here: He  had time to get behind the ball on that catch and didn't - he just did a lazy backpedal. So when he caught it still backing up on his back foot, he made a rainbow throw 20ft off line, which if it had been on line was close enough in time that if he had gotten himself in throwing position on the catch and made a good throw, I have no doubt he would have made the play close enough to have been worth the effort to at least force the runner into a good slide, where there is always a chance he comes off the base, etc.

The point was he was not competing on a play when he should have.

Sure, I understand your point, and it's valid, and I agree with it. I was asking something related to but beside that point because I have a passing interest in the technicals of that.

Haven't watched much of the Tigers the last few days but I see E-Sock has his ops up over .900.  That's a pleasant sight!

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Sure, I understand your point, and it's valid, and I agree with it. I was asking something related to but beside that point because I have a passing interest in the technicals of that.

OK - actually along that line a number of years ago when I was still facile with this kind of thing,  the question arose in our slo-pitch league about replacing our use of umpires with a "strike mat"  behind the plate - the theory being that in a league with minimum arc all strikes had to land within a definable distance behind the plate (ignoring for the moment the catcher having to allow all pitches to bounce). So I actually did program a differential equation simulator (Math Cad IIRC) to solve the motion of the pitch including the aero drag, but of course no spin effects (that would well over my head even then, even more so now!). So if I were *really* ambitious I could dig it out and if I still had a system it would run in I *could* tell you the approximately ending velocity for a throw from the OF. 

As you can guess I am not...xD

Actually wouldn't statcast have some kind of data on OF throws somewhere by now?

14 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Christin Stewart late inning defensive replacement?   NoooooOOOOOOHHHH!

:wink:

Jones was hurting. Had to leave the game. 

17 hours ago, Shelton said:

I still think it's BS that Paredes couldn't break most prospect top 100 lists. He's always been one of the two youngest position players in his league and hit everywhere, showing very good control of the strike zone. So he's a bit chunky and not Omar Vizquel with the glove. But he isn't Christin Stewart or Daniel Vogelbach either. 

3 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

I still think it's BS that Paredes couldn't break most prospect top 100 lists. He's always been one of the two youngest position players in his league and hit everywhere, showing very good control of the strike zone. So he's a bit chunky and not Omar Vizquel with the glove. But he isn't Christin Stewart or Daniel Vogelbach either. 

Agreed. To fangraphs credit, he made their list this offseason, which they don’t cut off arbitrarily at 100, so he was basically grouped with a bunch of players that were valued similarly at the back end of the top 100. 

So, if he was similarly valued at other places (in the same grouping as guys in the 80-100 range), he wasn’t necessarily overlooked. 

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what does microline think about paredes?

somewhat dated but:

• Like 1

How many of these “top 100 prospects“ will end up being major league players for at least ten years? That’s a fairly high bar but anyone who puts in 10 years of major league service could be said to have worked out regardless of how many rings they have or all-star games they’ve played in. Don Kelly nearly qualifies so this is a pretty wide-ranging bar. A guy who puts in 10 years is somebody clubs wanted. 

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OK - actually along that line a number of years ago when I was still facile with this kind of thing,  the question arose in our slo-pitch league about replacing our use of umpires with a "strike mat"  behind the plate - the theory being that in a league with minimum arc all strikes had to land within a definable distance behind the plate (ignoring for the moment the catcher having to allow all pitches to bounce). So I actually did program a differential equation simulator (Math Cad IIRC) to solve the motion of the pitch including the aero drag, but of course no spin effects (that would well over my head even then, even more so now!). So if I were *really* ambitious I could dig it out and if I still had a system it would run in I *could* tell you the approximately ending velocity for a throw from the OF. 

As you can guess I am not...xD

Actually wouldn't statcast have some kind of data on OF throws somewhere by now?

I know Statcast measures throw velocity because I've seen it plenty on telecasts, but I don't believe they have data on any fielders' throw on the website they maintain.

I also don't recall seeing whether the teevee showed the throw speed both at the point of release and the point of arrival. I don't know that they are interested in that, or at least sharing that with fans.