DumberAndLeaner

Why are they playing night games?

With public access to the stadiums all shut down due to the plague, it seems a waste that they are paying to light up the empty  stadiums, when they could just as well start most games at 4 PM, and  simply delay the broadcasts until prime time.  It's not like they have  to wait for people to get off work so that they can attend in person. 

This might be the worst thread in the history of this website. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

This might be the worst thread in the history of this website. 

What?! If they can tape and delay fake moon landings they certainly can tape delay fake baseball games.

• Haha 1

The results of the games would never leak out ahead of time.  

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Gee, I broke my own record. ☢️

At least you kept off the weight.

38 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The results of the games would never leak out ahead of time.  

I guess what you are saying is, that people will not watch if they knew in advance that their team lost?

Or that the excitement of not knowing which team will win is what makes the games worth watching?

A previous boss that I had, who was never wrong about anything, I might add..... felt differently. He was convinced that watching tape delay was just as good as over the air live.

Back in the days before pervasive cable sports networks, while I was living in Oakland. I used to tell my boss that I wanted to get home to watch the A's play in Detroit over their local broadcast channel in Oakland. He thought that was foolishness, and that I needed to tape the games  with a VCR.....instead.

The next morning, there was a VCR on my desk, new and still in the box. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Shelton said:

At least you kept off the weight.

Earning your ire, might be akin to a badge of achievement. 

Not entirely dissimilar to being expelled from a lunatic asylum. ⚖️

• Thanks 1

Plus, there are opportunities for synergy.

During the actual game time, fox sports could just air a group of beloved Detroit sports figures sitting around "man cave" style, with just general jock talk.....occasionally veering into cryptic gametalk debating specific plays in the game underway...which will serve as an interest builder for viewers to want to watch the tape delay version later, just to see WTH the jocks were talking about .

Could end up being the template for future of sports broadcasting. 

because people work during the day.

you can close the thread now.

Listening to Jack Morris and Craig Monroe engaging in jock talk before the game would be must see TV.  

I am really excited about the next two games.   Do the Tigers have a chance to improve greatly over the next few years or more treading water or worse?

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

What?! If they can tape and delay fake moon landings they certainly can tape delay fake baseball games.

So did the nba pre 1980

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

because people work during the day.

you can close the thread now.

That's okay, we'll record the game for them, that way they can't FF through the commercials.  

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

I miss smarter and fatter. 

So do I, but V-Mart was getting up in his years.....many claimed to be happy to see him retire, and we all knew that Miggy was heir apparent to the DH slot.

9 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

With public access to the stadiums all shut down due to the plague, it seems a waste that they are paying to light up the empty  stadiums, when they could just as well start most games at 4 PM, and  simply delay the broadcasts until prime time.  It's not like they have  to wait for people to get off work so that they can attend in person. 

They could play a game in the morning and a game in the afternoon and if it was a split MLB could choose which game to show/count depending on which team they like more or which market they value more.

• Like 1

Why don't the Yankees wear cotton uniforms? Danny Tartabull would love that. 

They can play three three inning games each day.  The team that wins the most games wins the day.  You only get one win, but all the individual stats from all the games count.  They only show the game that determined the winner.  

They could bring back the kissing bandit. First team to 5 gets a kiss. First team to 10 gets to motorboat. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Listening to Jack Morris and Craig Monroe engaging in jock talk before the game would be must see TV.  

Only if you add Eli Zaret to the mix

😉

18 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Morris actually seems to be getting better.  Craig, not so much.  But at least now we don't have to suffer through Johnny Kane in the stands with the fans.

16 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

So do I, but V-Mart was getting up in his years.....many claimed to be happy to see him retire, and we all knew that Miggy was heir apparent to the DH slot.

So we got older and worser.  But maybe not fatter.  Reports say that Cabrera is in the best shape of his lifer