Jump to content

DumberAndLeaner

The Future is Now

Recommended Posts


Tigers are 3 games from the worst record in mlb, with a tough schedule going forward. Future ain't yet. They might end up at the bottom yet again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Candelario showing a little life is promising.

Mize looked good.

Castro got some hits.

Jacoby Jones and Jonathan Schoop might have some trade value.

Everything else is terrible, but we all knew that was going to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, leflore said:

Candy's ops in north of .800

I saw one of the Tigers writers(possibly Hackowski) post earlier that his OPS is over 1.00 in August.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it's wisest to tank again this year and get another round of good  draft picks? (assuming there even is a draft next year).   At least suffering through an embarrassing 60 game season is less painful than suffering through 162 games of embarrassment.

Skubal, despite the strikeouts, really doesn't look like he's fooling anyone with most pitches. Mize, otho, looks pretty encouraging. The Cubs bats appear to be cooling off right now, so here's hoping he has a good outing tomorrow.

Right now my decision to buy a boat instead of season tickets two years ago ...seems to be paying off. The boat will be paid off in one more year. If by then Avila has changed his tune, then great, but if he's still playing the same ol song and dance.....I can't say I'd be surprised.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether it is wise or not isn't terribly significant.  They don't have the talent to be win more than 60 games in a 162 schedule presently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, maybe that will be Avila's next spiel?  "We're so bad that not even spending money can help. so why bother?"  or "we'll spend some money after the core of the team is good enough to warrant it".....they could get a couple decades out of that one. 

Somehow I'd find that more believable than "the future is now".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Candelario is showing some promise at the plate, I am disappointed the Tigers chose to use him as Cron's replacement at first base.  Paredes has 2 errors in 6 games.  Granted, small sample size but Candelario seemed to be playing really good defense at third base this year and that combined with some small improvements at the plate gives me hope we might have one infield position solved the next few years.  I do think Paredes will hit so it will be interesting to see what the Tigers do this coming offseason.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hart said:

Now that Candelario is showing some promise at the plate, I am disappointed the Tigers chose to use him as Cron's replacement at first base.  Paredes has 2 errors in 6 games.  Granted, small sample size but Candelario seemed to be playing really good defense at third base this year and that combined with some small improvements at the plate gives me hope we might have one infield position solved the next few years.  I do think Paredes will hit so it will be interesting to see what the Tigers do this coming offseason.  

Next year Schoop is gone:  Candelario at 3rd, Castro at short, Paredes at 2b, Niko goes back to utility

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 5:20 PM, Hongbit said:

The future can’t  be now.  That’s impossible.   Now is now.  The future is any time after that.   
 

Unless it was yesteryear's future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, DumberAndLeaner said:

I believe that the use of absolutes, such as that, is seldom wise.   I personally suspect we will have to settle for becoming perennial wildcard chasers.......because I don't believe he is willing to pay for the price of owning a dominant team.  

We may ever know whether Illitch might be willing to pay the price for owning a dominant team ..because IMHO, Al Avila likely lacks the GM skills to ever give Illitch that opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Unless it was yesteryear's future!

Yoda.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to suggest "Days of Future Passed" .. would it age me prior to my years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

If I were to suggest "Days of Future Passed" .. would it age me prior to my years?

I believe days of future passed are calculated in dog years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tigrrfan said:

We may ever know whether Illitch might be willing to pay the price for owning a dominant team ..because IMHO, Al Avila likely lacks the GM skills to ever give Illitch that opportunity.

I suspect there is a conceptual similarity to religion, in the sense that people see what they want to see.  Those who want to have "faith" tend to cherry pick and overlook the inconvenient  aspects, while others see glaring deficiencies which they refuse to reconcile.

Personally I "fault" Avila, mostly because he is the front man.  The smoke, and spin are coming out of his mouth,  so I credit him with the overall dysfunction. But in fairness to him...I believe he is probably doing exactly the job  he's been told to do.

My approval is not necessary (to them) nor is my acquiescence available.

I've watched them trade away all the genuine talent that could be traded  away, while allowing other contracts  to simply expire. . An additional indicator came through when they decided to trade Castellanos instead of pay him the dollars  he likely would soon justify. Behavior combined, revealing a trend that is difficult to ignore

The spin and the smoke was always "sacrifices now, towards a better future"...but I just don't see how a $15 million/ yr extension for Nick would destroy our future. ..... another indicator that thrift is more important than fielding a  team worth watching. A trend that has become overly recognizable.....THAT is the general "idea" that I've taken away, as an observer.

How the organization follows through when Mize, Skubal, Torkelson, Paredes, and Candelario have managed to get 4 1/2 years under their belts,  should be very revealing. Of course that is predicated upon them ascending to a level of desirability. 

I also don't believe that the portion of Verlander's contract that we agreed to eat, was any indication of  Ilitch's generosity, what so ever. Merely  a sweetener to close the deal and make the bulk  of his salary someone else's responsibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here today, gone tomato?

Makes me wanna ketchup from yeasterday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I suspect there is a conceptual similarity to religion, in the sense that people see what they want to see.  Those who want to have "faith" tend to cherry pick and overlook the inconvenient  aspects, while others see glaring deficiencies which they refuse to reconcile.

Personally I "fault" Avila, mostly because he is the front man.  The smoke, and spin are coming out of his mouth,  so I credit him with the overall dysfunction. But in fairness to him...I believe he is probably doing exactly the job  he's been told to do.

My approval is not necessary (to them) nor is my acquiescence available.

I've watched them trade away all the genuine talent that could be traded  away, while allowing other contracts  to simply expire. . An additional indicator came through when they decided to trade Castellanos instead of pay him the dollars  he likely would soon justify. Behavior combined, revealing a trend that is difficult to ignore

The spin and the smoke was always "sacrifices now, towards a better future"...but I just don't see how a $15 million/ yr extension for Nick would destroy our future. ..... another indicator that thrift is more important than fielding a  team worth watching. A trend that has become overly recognizable.....THAT is the general "idea" that I've taken away, as an observer.

How the organization follows through when Mize, Skubal, Torkelson, Paredes, and Candelario have managed to get 4 1/2 years under their belts,  should be very revealing. Of course that is predicated upon them ascending to a level of desirability. 

I also don't believe that the portion of Verlander's contract that we agreed to eat, was any indication of  Ilitch's generosity, what so ever. Merely  a sweetener to close the deal and make the bulk  of his salary someone else's responsibility. 

I agree that you are seeing what you want to see. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, leflore said:

Here today, gone tomato?

Makes me wanna ketchup from yeasterday

SO long as we continue behaving like trained seals clapping with approval, what incentive do they have to get better?

3kynAQM.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I agree that you are seeing what you want to see. 

I just knew that eventually patience with you would be rewarded.  💡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I just knew that eventually patience with you would be rewarded.  💡

Your certificate is in the mail. It will get there in about 35 days, excluding weekends and federal holidays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...