DumberAndLeaner

The Future is Now

So claims the spin thoughtfully seeded in the Fox Sports Detroit broadcasts.  I find myself wondering how serious they are about developing a winning team. Could be they simply decided that with Chron and Nova busts for the foreseeable  future, it's simply cheaper to showcase the kiddies now than it would be to hire qualified replacements?

And for that matter,  Assuming Mize, Skruball, and eventually Torkelson do develop into the stars as hoped for, will Avila and company be willing to make the financial commitment to keep them in Detroit, or will they  peddle them off as Deadline Darlings to avoid the expense?   Personally, I don't think little Itch is anxious to fund a championship,  

12 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

So claims the spin thoughtfully seeded in the Fox Sports Detroit broadcasts.  I find myself wondering how serious they are about developing a winning team. Could be they simply decided that with Chron and Nova busts for the foreseeable  future, it's simply cheaper to showcase the kiddies now than it would be to hire qualified replacements?

And for that matter,  Assuming Mize, Skruball, and eventually Torkelson do develop into the stars as hoped for, will Avila and company be willing to make the financial commitment to keep them in Detroit, or will they  peddle them off as Deadline Darlings to avoid the expense?   Personally, I don't think little Itch is anxious to fund a championship,  

I think we're all waiting to see if Illitch will spend. But poor form mentioning his dick size

It's kind of hard to find veteran replacements for Chrome and Nova in the middle of the season.  The only option was minor leaguers. 

27 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

It's kind of hard to find veteran replacements for Chrome and Nova in the middle of the season.  The only option was minor leaguers. 

I suspect that the Red Sox could have been baited with a little payroll relief.  If not them, then someone else

none of us have any idea what illitch will do with the payroll if they become competitive again.

Just being frank, I'd be delighted to see Mize, Skuball, and Torkelson have  standout debuts. But I've just become accustomed to this outfit masking thrift under a smokescreen of hype. Hope they prove me wrong.

Nova was pretty much a "high potential upside" fishing expedition, wasn't he?  A fill-in to cover innings that Zimmermann will miss.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

none of us have any idea what illitch will do with the payroll if they become competitive again.

Yep.  I like to think he isn't going to be a total penny pincher by evidence of him allowing Avila to spend like 20million each of the past couple offseasons on guys like Moore, Ross, Nova, Harrison, Mercer etc. when they could've just got guys in house to do the job for a fraction of the price.  Also was willing to eat a ton of Verlander's contract in hopes of getting a better deal and he hasn't been prudent with our draft picks either.    

So an educated guess is that if we ever get to the point of competing I think he would be open to spending some money, certainly not like his Dad but I could see him going after atleast 1 big time FA if the scenario is right.  

Yes. It IS getting very old to see a hapless pitching staff lead a hapless team. The 05 model was to sign a couple vets to help the kids. Might help when they can unload Miggy's ungodly salary. He's at .188 now? Jeesh?

The future can’t  be now.  That’s impossible.   Now is now.  The future is any time after that.   

8 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The future can’t  be now.  That’s impossible.   Now is now.  The future is any time after that.   

02EB6469-488F-4372-B9A0-0674E493E3A0.gif

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

Just being frank, I'd be delighted to see Mize, Skuball, and Torkelson have  standout debuts. But I've just become accustomed to this outfit masking thrift under a smokescreen of hype. Hope they prove me wrong.

you should always be yourself, no need to try to be Frank.

53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I believe that the use of absolutes, such as that, is seldom wise.   I personally suspect we will have to settle for becoming perennial wildcard chasers.......because I don't believe he is willing to pay for the price of owning a dominant team.  

1 hour ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I believe that the use of absolutes, such as that, is seldom wise.   I personally suspect we will have to settle for becoming perennial wildcard chasers.......because I don't believe he is willing to pay for the price of owning a dominant team.  

but this is one instance where it is absolutely true.  unless you are illitch or in his inner circle of advisors you absolutely have no idea what he'll do.  none.

2 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Theory of relativity sorta messes with that though

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

but this is one instance where it is absolutely true.  unless you are illitch or in his inner circle of advisors you absolutely have no idea what he'll do.  none.

He did say he will spend when that time comes. Could be lip service. But unless you 100% mistrust his words I think there is a 56.469% chance he will surprise and spend. Not like his pappy, but spend he will.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Where do you anticipate team payroll being in 5 years?  

23 minutes ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

I have no idea.

27 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I have no idea.

Nobody has any idea.

In 5 years they'll be playing in stadium 5hg313-6ak3007 somewhere near yUranus.

3 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

In a bank account. 

3 hours ago, DumberAndLeaner said:

You asked this, quoting a post where he literally said nobody has any idea what Ilitch will do. Do we think Buddha is Chris Ilitch? I mean I can't prove he isn't... 

4 hours ago, leflore said:

He did say he will spend when that time comes. Could be lip service. But unless you 100% mistrust his words I think there is a 56.469% chance he will surprise and spend. Not like his pappy, but spend he will.

To be fair, he does seem to love the game/team. If Al's guys pan out, I do think he'll let him spend some money. 

22 minutes ago, Yoda said:

To be fair, he does seem to love the game/team. If Al's guys pan out, I do think he'll let him spend some money. 

I think so too.

And while true that nobody can know, my gut feeling is that the payroll will increase when gate and recessions do again. Hopefully in a way where they can sustain relevance and avoid 114 FRIGGIN LOSSES in the future. Last year was worse than '03 for me, and my shadow, slingin-sam

8 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Nobody has any idea.

I have a theory.