Keepleyland2

8/16 @1:10 Cleveland Indians vs Detroit Tigers

Have faith.  The Tigers are just 1/2 game out of the playoffs.  It aint over yet. 

Positive - good thing Al talked Mike Illitch out of paying Chris Davis. His ops this year is sub .400 and he is owed 46 mil after this season. As bad as Miggy has been, Davis has been historic

59 minutes ago, SeattleMike said:

Civil (3rd Round), Bieber (4th Round), and Plesac (12th round) all from the Indians 2016 draft. That's remarkable. The Indians lose Kluber and Bauer and replace them with a completely homegrown rotation that is just as good. 

Maybe it’s just that Cleveland knows what to do with talent they acquire.

I hate the Indians but along with Oakland they have remarkable systems. As do LAD and NYY but **** them

I am absolutely furious at Miguel Cabrera right now.   What an absolutely selfish play by him.    Go ahead and retire if you're going to play like that.....we don't need the youngins learning horrible habits from someone they look up to.   

I wanted to believe this team would seriously compete in 2021. Not really sure about that now. 

37 minutes ago, 1776 said:

I wanted to believe this team would seriously compete in 2021. Not really sure about that now. 

They have the built in excuse of no minor league season to set back their rebuild another year....bank on it.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I am absolutely furious at Miguel Cabrera right now.   What an absolutely selfish play by him.    Go ahead and retire if you're going to play like that.....we don't need the youngins learning horrible habits from someone they look up to.   

What happened?

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

I am realistically hoping that they will be competitive in 2022.  

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

What happened?

Tie game, 4-4 in the 5th inning.   We had men on 1st and 2nd,  0 outs.    Miggy on 2nd, Scooper on 1st.  Candy comes up and gets a base hit.............3rd Base Coach Ramon Santiago threw up the stop sign.............Miggy ran through it and was thrown out at the plate.   Next batter, Cammy, hits into an inning-ending double play.    

It was an EXTREMELY selfish move by Cabrera in a tie game.   Not a mistake a veteran player should make.  

I like to use Tiger nicknames.......V-Ray, JJ, Stewie and Cammy, Romie, Grinder, Candy, Scooper, Goody, Willi, Hal, Loogie, Miggy

The starting pitchers don't deserve nicknames, except Big Red (Spencer).   

3 hours ago, chasfh said:

Maybe it’s just that Cleveland knows what to do with talent they acquire.

3 hours ago, leflore said:

I hate the Indians but along with Oakland they have remarkable systems. As do LAD and NYY but **** them

Some of this is overblown. Cleveland has had some good luck recently with mid round picks, their first round has been junk. 

injuns.jpg

Outside of Lindor, it's been a whole lot of nuttin' or guys they traded away. 

If you look at their player pool for this year, only 20 guys were drafted by them. The rest through trades and FA. And before we go, well look at all those guys they traded for they must know what they are doing!, they've had some clunkers as well. See Martin, Gio Urshela for cash, etc.

They stay competetive when they trade their stars. True, my objective lens sees a team that has defeated Detroit 20 times in a row, so I probably do overblown it. 20. ****.

7 minutes ago, leflore said:

They stay competetive when they trade their stars. True, my objective lens sees a team that has defeated Detroit 20 times in a row, so I probably do overblown it. 20. ****.

I don't like losing either, but what stars have they traded? 

And they've been competitive for the last five years, sure. But, that's what happens there are ebbs and flows where teams are competitive and then they aren't. If you look at Indians the 14 years before the current run....2 playoff appearances. 

The Indians have a good manager and a system right now, but it will catch up and their luck on finding guys out of nowhere will change. Just think of our 2010-2015 run and how many guys we had that came out of nowhere or were junk and contirbuted in big ways. 

7 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't like losing either, but what stars have they traded? 

And they've been competitive for the last five years, sure. But, that's what happens there are ebbs and flows where teams are competitive and then they aren't. If you look at Indians the 14 years before the current run....2 playoff appearances. 

The Indians have a good manager and a system right now, but it will catch up and their luck on finding guys out of nowhere will change. Just think of our 2010-2015 run and how many guys we had that came out of nowhere or were junk and contirbuted in big ways. 

Over the past 25 years the Indians have won at least 80 games 20 times. Contrast Detroit, with 9. As a fan I hate seasons where I know day 1 the team will suck and has no chance. I probably do overestimate the Indians, but I much prefer their long-term plan to what Detroit has gone through. Might be lip service, but Al and Chris say that's their goal

4 minutes ago, leflore said:

Over the past 25 years the Indians have won at least 80 games 20 times. Contrast Detroit, with 9. As a fan I hate seasons where I know day 1 the team will suck and has no chance. I probably do overestimate the Indians, but I much prefer their long-term plan to what Detroit has gone through. Might be lip service, but Al and Chris say that's their goal

I don't really care about winning more than 80 games a year. It's like winning 40 in the NBA...great you're mediocore. The goal is not to win half your games, the goal is titles. Cleveland has had no better luck than we've had in that department so there is nothing to say their long term plan is better. 

Since 2000, they've had 6 playoff apperances, we've had 5. They are no better building than we are. 

The best thing for the Tigers WRT Indians is the Indians extended the wrong star players (Haffner and Sizemore) and got somewhat gun shy about extending since.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

I don't really care about winning more than 80 games a year. It's like winning 40 in the NBA...great you're mediocore. The goal is not to win half your games, the goal is titles. Cleveland has had no better luck than we've had in that department so there is nothing to say their long term plan is better. 

Since 2000, they've had 6 playoff apperances, we've had 5. They are no better building than we are. 

We differ in what we enjoy. Last season was torture to me. I'd much rather watch a .500 team with occasional playoffs than have a team go through periods of historic ineptitude between playoff runs. 

There are different ways to measure success.

Objectively the Indians transitioned between their more recent talent cores more successfully than the Tigers.

Watching the Tigers flounder against the Indians all weekend made me so sick to my stomach, I thought I had the VID...  

Isaac Paredes called up. Dawel Lugo dfa.

Tarik Skubal will start Tuesday, Mize on Wednesday.