5 hours ago, Deleterious said:

So Phoenix went 8-0 and still missed the playoffs.  

The 8-0 is something to look at.  How did that happen?  They were 26-39 heading into the bubble, so,....

What I don't understand is they finish with the same record as Memphis.  It seems like there should be a play-in for the play-in.  I realize the NBA foes by tie breakers in normal seasons, but considering this isn't a normal season, it seems like settling ties on the court would be a better option.  Plus TV and whatever ratings they could scrape up.

thank god they are back to having games played every other day.

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

So Phoenix went 8-0 and still missed the playoffs.  

Luka sends his love.   

2 hours ago, Casimir said:

The 8-0 is something to look at.  How did that happen?  They were 26-39 heading into the bubble, so,....

What I don't understand is they finish with the same record as Memphis.  It seems like there should be a play-in for the play-in.  I realize the NBA foes by tie breakers in normal seasons, but considering this isn't a normal season, it seems like settling ties on the court would be a better option.  Plus TV and whatever ratings they could scrape up.

They got a bit lucky with other teams stars hurt or being rested against them.  Butler for Miami, SGA for OKC, Horford, Harris, Embiid, and Simmons sat or were hurt for Philly, and KP sat for Dallas while Luka only played 13 minutes.  

They are already going to start next year late.  You cant extend this season further buy adding more play in games.  

Portland is excellent at playing drop coverage with their bigs.  Completely taking away the drive and/or floater from Morant.  

Defenses going forward are going to make teams/players start taking those mid-range shots again.  

Denver and Utah tipping at 1:30PM on the east coast.  I don't know why ratings are down.  

Mitchell with 58 but they are going to lose.  His 8 second call is probably what lost it for them.  Up 4 with 1:45 left and nobody within 30 feet of him and he gets an 8 second call.  Terrible and a shame because he had a good game.

Jamal Murray is the real deal.  He was money all 4th quarter and OT.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Mitchell with 58 but they are going to lose.  His 8 second call is probably what lost it for them.  Up 4 with 1:45 left and nobody within 30 feet of him and he gets an 8 second call.  Terrible and a shame because he had a good game.

Jamal Murray is the real deal.  He was money all 4th quarter and OT.

he scored 58 points yet was the fault they lost.

something tells me there might be other reasons why utah lost 

32 minutes ago, Buddha said:

he scored 58 points yet was the fault they lost.

something tells me there might be other reasons why utah lost 

Well, Mitchell had 3 TO's in the OT.  But I was ignoring that because it doesn't get to OT if he doesn't get the 8 second call.

It was just such a stupid play.  

4 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I don't think I knew who 80% of the Nets roster was today.

black lives matter

ally

equality

freedom

i havent heard of those guys either.

honestly, basketball without home court advantage sucks.  its better than nothing, of course, but it takes away from the champion this year, imo.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Denver and Utah tipping at 1:30PM on the east coast.  I don't know why ratings are down.  

there was an article in the athletic today about ratings.  but i didnt read it because i rely on you to pay for it and summarize it for me.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

there was an article in the athletic today about ratings.  but i didnt read it because i rely on you to pay for it and summarize it for me.

It got political in the second half and I closed it.  

My subscription is up this month and I'm not sure I am going to renew it.  You're up.

It did have some pretty jaw dropping numbers in the article.

https://theathletic.com/1997343/2020/08/17/strauss-why-the-nba-has-a-serious-viewership-problem-it-needs-to-fix/

Here’s one, yet to be publicized stat to know: 45 percent. As in the league’s ABC games, its premium broadcast, are down a whopping 45 percent off what the NBA averaged back in 2011-12. In that hastily promoted lockout season, ABC games drew 5.42 million viewers on average. The final tally on this latest 2019-20 season was 2.95 million average viewers on ABC games. Every ABC game from 2011-2012 received higher viewership than 2.95 million, save for a meaningless late season 1 p.m. Thunder-Bulls game that Derrick Rose sat out.

That 2.95 million is a great number for a cable comedy, but less so for live sports on network television. Or put another way, the NBA lost nearly half its big game audience over a very brief stretch of time, eight years in fact. That’s not a small divot and it’s not normal. It most certainly does not square with the narrative of perpetual ascendance that the league had successfully marketed for a time. The big network slide has also coincided with sharp declines in local numbers and cable as well. TNT’s average NBA viewership is down over 40 percent since 2011-2012 and ESPN is down roughly 20 percent over that span. With both cable channels, I am waiting for a final read out of the numbers for specificity, but that’s the ballpark figure as of now. If you’re looking to the playoffs for salvation, you won’t find it. Last postseason saw a double digit fall in viewership. So, this isn’t just a blip or a fluke, simply brought about by the Warriors’ rough season, though that certainly didn’t help. It reflects something long standing.

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

It got political in the second half and I closed it.  

My subscription is up this month and I'm not sure I am going to renew it.  You're up.

It did have some pretty jaw dropping numbers in the article.

https://theathletic.com/1997343/2020/08/17/strauss-why-the-nba-has-a-serious-viewership-problem-it-needs-to-fix/

what's his theory?  white people are racist and refuse to watch?

56 minutes ago, Buddha said:

what's his theory?  white people are racist and refuse to watch?

He doesn't quite go that far.  He does say people are tired of the league/players always criticizing the US while turning a blind eye to China.  

He also suggested the NBA should spend more resources on growing the game domestically.  

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

He doesn't quite go that far.  He does say people are tired of the league/players always criticizing the US while turning a blind eye to China.  

He also suggested the NBA should spend more resources on growing the game domestically.  

we'll see if ratings continue to decline.  i think this may be just a bubble thing.

but i know that the black lives matter and politics stuff gets on my nerves after a while, so i bet a lot of people are bugged by it.

I didn't miss basketball nearly as much as I thought I would during the shutdown.  The DEN-UTA game is the first full game I have watched since they started back up.  And I usually watch 3+ games a night and always watch every playoff game.  

It has been really hard for me to get into it on TV.  No fans and the odd court make it look like an exhibition game.  I like the concept of the social messages instead of names on the jersey  but I just don’t like how it looks.   

hmmm.  i think the social messages on the jersey is stupid and over done for media attention more than anything else.