Keepleyland2

8/10 @7:10 Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

C.J. Cron puts his pants on both legs at a time. Hope this injury doesn’t put an end to that.

JaCoby Jones leads the American League in OPS.  Wouldn't that be amazing if he finally turned out to be a good player?

EDIT - I always think of him as this young prospect that we just acquired, even though I know he isn't.  He's 28, and this is his 5th year on the team.  He's still here even though he has absolutely refused to get on base during the first 4 years and anybody but the Tigers would have cut him loose after last year if not sooner.  So if, after all these years, that athletic ability somehow transformed itself into a good baseball player that would be the story of the year.

Keuchel throws his team mates under the bus in postgame

“If we wanna be in this thing at the end of the season, we’re going to have to start that now. When you have enough talent to potentially win every game it’s very frustrating when you have games like this and it just seems like we were out of it from the get go... Today was one of the first games I've seen subpar play from everybody."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/dallas-keuchel-frustrated-white-sox-effort-loss-tigers

WhiteSox gonna WhiteSox

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

C.J. Cron puts his pants on both legs at a time. Hope this injury doesn’t put an end to that.

I read he offered to model Michael Scott's chair-pants line, but they were never produced

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Keuchel throws his team mates under the bus in postgame

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/dallas-keuchel-frustrated-white-sox-effort-loss-tigers

WhiteSox gonna WhiteSox

It’s satisfying to realize how much it hurts to lose to a team that lost a near record number of games last season. Opponents can’t believe they lost and turn on each other like wild animals fighting for the last shred of cartilage from a previous kill. Every time the Tigers beat almost anybody these teams feel a grinding sense of humiliation. 

IMG_2934.JPG.0c22098c508e0e1bb3760c340c368f06.JPG

I don't care for cartilage. Too chewy. Don't like the texture

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I tried to freeze frame the clip. To me it looked like it took enough of a bad hop to glance off the heel of his glove straight into the medial side of his knee. He did still have some motion in it.

“Paging Dr. Gehringer...”

This is actually mean to Shep who really does a good job policing the bad language for my saintly children's ears. 

I rank game analysts:

• Gibby
  • Petry
  • CRAAAIIIG
  • Jim Price
  • anyone else
  • anyone else
  • the memory of Rod Allen
  • anyone else
  • Morris

10 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Victor Reyes. The worst looking player that just seems to do something in every game.

Is it just me, or does he not move athletically enough at times to appear capable of being a baseball player?

8 hours ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Cando so much better against LHP's. That bodes well for tomorrow against Gonzales. Does Gardy move him up to cleanup?

I wonder if he should bat RH all the time.

image.png.b462a3d98ace71c3927c112129a0bd63.png

If they're going to try that kind of experiment, it seems like this wacked out season is the one to try it in.

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

image.png.b462a3d98ace71c3927c112129a0bd63.png

If they're going to try that kind of experiment, it seems like this wacked out season is the one to try it in.

The difference in babip may entirely explain the difference in batting average.

5 minutes ago, Longgone said:

The difference in babip may entirely explain the difference in batting average.

It seems crazy to have a BABIP difference like that over the course of a few seasons for a starter.  Maybe he drives the ball more solidly as a right handed hitter?

1 hour ago, ROMAD1 said:

This is actually mean to Shep who really does a good job policing the bad language for my saintly children's ears. 

I rank game analysts:

• Gibby
  • Petry
  • CRAAAIIIG
  • Jim Price
  • anyone else
  • anyone else
  • the memory of Rod Allen
  • anyone else
  • Morris

I wonder if Curtis Granderson has any interest in doing the in-game analyst thing.   He's a multi-kajillionare but, he seems like he could do that very well.   As for other 2006-2013 era Tigers i think maybe Nate Robertson.  Anyone else?

Granderson would be my ideal choice but I think one of the national guys would be after him. 

I too would like somebody a little fresher and from more modern teams. Gum time wouldn't be a bad choice cause he seemed to have the personality for it.

22 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It seems crazy to have a BABIP difference like that over the course of a few seasons for a starter.  Maybe he drives the ball more solidly as a right handed hitter?

Still a relatively small sample size, especially from the right side.

32 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Doesn't help that he tends be a dead pull hitter as a LHB and that plays into defensive shifting. 

One of Monroe's comments in the post game was that he stays inside the ball more as a RHB than as a LHB and that he hoped he would start doing it more from that side.

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

“Paging Dr. Gehringer...”

you sure don't see guys just crumple like that very often - didn't look like fun.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

you sure don't see guys just crumple like that very often - didn't look like fun.

Yeah, I'm not so sure that is only an innocent day-to-day injury.

6 hours ago, IdahoBert said:

It’s satisfying to realize how much it hurts to lose to a team that lost a near record number of games last season. Opponents can’t believe they lost and turn on each other like wild animals fighting for the last shred of cartilage from a previous kill. Every time the Tigers beat almost anybody these teams feel a grinding sense of humiliation. 

IMG_2934.JPG.0c22098c508e0e1bb3760c340c368f06.JPG

that grinding sense is not unlike the fork in the garbage disposal

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Doesn't help that he tends be a dead pull hitter as a LHB and that plays into defensive shifting. 

One of Monroe's comments in the post game was that he stays inside the ball more as a RHB than as a LHB and that he hoped he would start doing it more from that side.

That makes some sense.

And seeing teams shift 3 IFs to the LF side of the IF against RHBs now more than before, it would seem that dead pull right handed hitters would be wise to use the other field.

So, are we headed down a path where hitters might become more focused on hitting the other way and sacrificing power if they cannot get the HR production out of the grip it and rip it approach?

16 minutes ago, Casimir said:

That makes some sense.

And seeing teams shift 3 IFs to the LF side of the IF against RHBs now more than before, it would seem that dead pull right handed hitters would be wise to use the other field.

So, are we headed down a path where hitters might become more focused on hitting the other way and sacrificing power if they cannot get the HR production out of the grip it and rip it approach?

Also the shift is inherently more effective against LH pull hitters because you can't play the extra man as deep in LF and still throw out guys who can run a little. 

I wonder if there are any stats on whether LHH tend to be pull hitters more often than RHB?  Maybe since more pitchers are RH, most breaking balls are coming inside to LHB so pulling the ball becomes more natural. Of course in the switch hitter case he sees breaking balls coming inside from both sides.

41 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Also the shift is inherently more effective against LH pull hitters because you can't play the extra man as deep in LF and still throw out guys who can run a little. 

I wonder if there are any stats on whether LHH tend to be pull hitters more often than RHB?  Maybe since more pitchers are RH, most breaking balls are coming inside to LHB so pulling the ball becomes more natural. Of course in the switch hitter case he sees breaking balls coming inside from both sides.

I would suspect that with runners on base, LHH generally pull more as balls hit to RF are in general better to advance runners an extra base as opposed to balls that are hit to LF.  Along those lines, RHHs might take the chance to push the ball to RF for the same rationale.

9 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I would suspect that with runners on base, LHH generally pull more as balls hit to RF are in general better to advance runners an extra base as opposed to balls that are hit to LF.  Along those lines, RHHs might take the chance to push the ball to RF for the same rationale.

yes - good point.

So imagine baseball where everyone on the diamond reversed position/direction depending on the handedness of the batter....🤔

12 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Teams serious about winning have Jordy Mercer.

Just ask the 2013-15 Pirates squads what he meant to those teams.

Just don't ask either the 2017 or 2018 Pirates teams.