Jump to content

Keepleyland2

8/10 @7:10 Chicago White Sox vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

I'm against any rule on banning the shift..... I don't like the concept of "illegal defense".  This isn't football.  If a team wants to put 5 guys at SS so be it.   Hasn't the use of it declined the last few years anyway?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Buddha said:

how would you expect them to adapt?

Players coming up that use the whole field will be valued a little greater than they were previously.  Guys who exclusively pull will likely be downgraded slightly.

Each org will weigh prospects in their own way, obviously, but **if** there truly is a measurable advantage to preventing the shift by using the whole field or drag bunting or whatever, the league will gravitate towards players that do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an analogy, speed became a valued commodity some 40 years ago and prospects with truly elite speed were promoted faster than they would have without that bias.  Similarly the OBP phase caused teams to favor prospects who got on base.  Valuing guys who elevate the ball is the current bias.

I guess I am trying to express that teams (and the league) will get the players they want gradually by how they value and develop prospects.  Its been happening since the the start of the farm system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Players coming up that use the whole field will be valued a little greater than they were previously.  Guys who exclusively pull will likely be downgraded slightly.

Each org will weigh prospects in their own way, obviously, but if there truly is a measurable advantage to preventing the shift by using the whole field or drag bunting or whatever, the league will gravitate towards players that do that.

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Players coming up that use the whole field will be valued a little greater than they were previously.  Guys who exclusively pull will likely be downgraded slightly.

Each org will weigh prospects in their own way, obviously, but **if** there truly is a measurable advantage to preventing the shift by using the whole field or drag bunting or whatever, the league will gravitate towards players that do that.

and i think teams will start to teach them to try to hit to all fields more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Yoda said:

I wonder why everyone hasn't already thought of that. 

because i think large organizations are slow to adapt to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. As if hitting to the opposite field is a new concept and can be taught to anyone. 

Why don't they just teach everyone to hit 70HR a year and the shift would be irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was something pretty obvious in that article posted above, which is that if you are a LH batter against the shift, the pitcher will pitch you inside.  You can't drive the ball the other way when the pitch is in on your hands.  You can do it to a mistake though, and mistakes get made.  Cabrera and JD are good examples of RH power hitters who use the whole field and react to pitch location.  Encourage all the young hitters to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

I can't tell if you're serious or just trolling. As if hitting to the opposite field is a new concept and can be taught to anyone. 

Why don't they just teach everyone to hit 70HR a year and the shift would be irrelevant. 

when i troll you you'll know it dammit!  :)

i am serious!  i think they'll eventually adapt and start deploying other offensive strategies to thwart this defensive adaptation, but that it will take time to teach and implement.  if guys have been taught to pull the ball constantly, it probably takes time to get them to not do so, especially if theyre really successful doing it.

and, again, it might be that teams figure its still better to have those guys swinging hard and pulling the ball and hitting home runs rather than slapping singles or bunting to get on base.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think hitting to the opposite field has been a known benefit for a very long time. It's not a new concept, shift or no shift. If you try to pull an outside pitch, you likely roll over and ground it to the pull side, whereas hitting it the opposite way is easier to get that ball in the air. 

The problem is, some hitters just can't do it. Kinsler is an example of a very smart player (when not running the bases) who just could never make staying back and lofting the ball the opposite way work for him. And I promise Miggy, JD, and everyone else tried to teach him how. It's probably mental, but he always thought he had to pull the ball to hit with power. It just isn't something everyone can do. Or more likely not every swing is conducive to opposite field power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

There was something pretty obvious in that article posted above, which is that if you are a LH batter against the shift, the pitcher will pitch you inside.  You can't drive the ball the other way when the pitch is in on your hands.  You can do it to a mistake though, and mistakes get made.  Cabrera and JD are good examples of RH power hitters who use the whole field and react to pitch location.  Encourage all the young hitters to do that.

amazingly enough Cabrera can (could? :depress:) take an inside pitch to right, but he is(was) Miguel-freaking-Cabrera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as drag bunting, depending on the player if a batter does that then the opposing team already wins.   Worst case scenario for the opposing team is that he gets it down for a single, for majority of batters you shift against you would gladly take that as a worst case scenario.  More than likely he doesn't get it down right and suddenly he finds himself in an 0-1 hole.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

I think hitting to the opposite field has been a known benefit for a very long time. It's not a new concept, shift or no shift. If you try to pull an outside pitch, you likely roll over and ground it to the pull side, whereas hitting it the opposite way is easier to get that ball in the air. 

The problem is, some hitters just can't do it. Kinsler is an example of a very smart player (when not running the bases) who just could never make staying back and lofting the ball the opposite way work for him. And I promise Miggy, JD, and everyone else tried to teach him how. It's probably mental, but he always thought he had to pull the ball to hit with power. It just isn't something everyone can do. Or more likely not every swing is conducive to opposite field power. 

I think it was mentioned before but just because today's players were selected for a particular set of skills and are not good at others doesn't mean there are not other players that might have been selected with better bat skill if power were not so highly valued. If the game changes those may be the players selected in the future. Look at K rate. You can as easily say that today we have a lot of hitters in the league that simply can't be taught to K less than 25% of the time. Yet thousands of players played in the Majors with K rates much less than 20% in past eras. Just because today's cross section of players can't do something is not adequate evidence it can't be done. It just means whatever "it" is is not valuable enough to have driven player selection in that direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

As far as drag bunting, depending on the player if a batter does that then the opposing team already wins.   Worst case scenario for the opposing team is that he gets it down for a single, for majority of batters you shift against you would gladly take that as a worst case scenario.  More than likely he doesn't get it down right and suddenly he finds himself in an 0-1 hole.   

The defense does not win by conceding infield single indiscriminately to opposing power hitters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...