Jump to content
84 Lives!!!

2021 MLB Draft (FUBAR for KUMAR)

Recommended Posts

43 minutes ago, socaltiger said:

Ok thanks. Sounds like we are in a good place no matter what. I hope the MLB draft is not something to look forward to after this year.

Count on it for 2022, unless you think this team has surprises in store this year.  Think we’re top 5, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BetMGM Michigan $600 Risk-Free bet

BetMGM Michigan Sports Betting
Michigan online sports betting is now available! Start betting at BetMGM Michigan now and get a $600 risk-free bet bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan Now

6 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Count on it for 2022, unless you think this team has surprises in store this year.  Think we’re top 5, at least.

They could squeak out the top 5. PIttsburgh is god awful. Texas, Baltimore, Miami are all pretty bad. There will be a couple of flops. KEEP HOPE ALIVE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

They could squeak out the top 5. PIttsburgh is god awful. Texas, Baltimore, Miami are all pretty bad. There will be a couple of flops. KEEP HOPE ALIVE

I’m not pro-tank anymore, but if squeaking out of the worst 5, allows use to be the 6th or 7th worst team, I can’t get really excited about that.  However, if we see some individual progress, that will be exciting, i.e., Candelario, Castro, Turnbull building on last year, and some others emerging.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’m not pro-tank anymore, but if squeaking out of the worst 5, allows use to be the 6th or 7th worst team, I can’t get really excited about that.  However, if we see some individual progress, that will be exciting, i.e., Candelario, Castro, Turnbull building on last year, and some others emerging.

Expected upgrades:

Norris, Skubal, W Castro, Grossman, Paredes, Mize., Ramos, Soto, B Garcia

Unexpected possible improvements

Manning, Fulmer, Urena

Expected fall-offs:

Jimenez, Cabrera, Boyd (could put Cron here but he played so little he didn't contribute much)

Unexpected possible falloffs

Jones, Candelario

 

Been burned too many times to be confident but on balance the roster argues net improvement.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda like where we are. There are three great prospects, and we just take the one who's left when it's our turn to pick. This is one of those drafts where it might actually be easier than having the #1 pick and having to make that choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

(could put Cron here but he played so little he didn't contribute much)

 

Plus he plays for the Rockies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Plus he plays for the Rockies

True - but his loss still counts as part of the changes in the Tigers this season as compared to last - as in at this point he was better than anyone has proved they will be at 1b this season. Nunez could change that, or if Paredes can force Schoop to 1b  then he might be an upgrade or at least a non-downgrade there. Or lightening could strike and Cabrera could play 1b well.....

In any case I don't think Torkelson is coming north so Candelario (our other 2020 1b) seems likely to stay at 3rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

True - but his loss still counts as part of the changes in the Tigers this season as compared to last - as in at this point he was better than anyone has proved they will be at 1b this season. Nunez could change that, or if Paredes can force Schoop to 1b  then he might be an upgrade or at least a non-downgrade there. Or lightening could strike and Cabrera could play 1b well.....

In any case I don't think Torkelson is coming north so Candelario (our other 2020 1b) seems likely to stay at 3rd.

Just the way you wrote it, made it seem like you had a brain fart and thought Cron was back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Just the way you wrote it, made it seem like you had a brain fart

OK - that may be usually be a fair assumption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Jack Leiter with a 16K no hitter today...the bum did issue 1 walk though.  

That sounds better than 8 K in 6 of his last 8 games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tiger337 said:

That sounds better than 8 K in 6 of his last 8 games.  

He had 8 k twice in one game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henning today speculating that Leiter and/or Rocker  could fall from 1 2 based on signing difficulty. Could be a break for the Tigers, though you always have to take Lynn with a grain of salt when he's riffing

 

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/03/22/detroit-tigers-draft-watch-shot-vanderbilt-jack-leiter-kumar-rocker/4799211001/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kdog said:

 

Other things being even remotely equal, I want the guy that gets K's with his FB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rocker's fastball velocity has dipped to low 90's his last few starts. That could end up impacting his draft stock if he doesn't regain his velocity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31263131/how-one-high-school-game-change-mlb-draft

Behind a paywall but a good write up on Brady House.  The game in question came against the top pitching prospect in the 2022 draft(apparently one of the best hs pitching prospects in several years).    It was noted that the Tigers brass and scouts were one of the teams that were in attendance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN Tier 1 rankings:

Lawler

Leiter

Tier 2:

Marcelo Mayer

Kumar Rocker

Gunnar Hoglund

Henry Davis

Brady House

Sal Frelick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2021 at 9:05 PM, Scottwood said:

Rocker's fastball velocity has dipped to low 90's his last few starts. That could end up impacting his draft stock if he doesn't regain his velocity. 

wasn't it a velo drop that had knocked Brady Singer out of the top spot when Mize passed him as the consensus #1? I don't which will be the better pitcher in the end, but Singer is now doing about the same as Mize. Prospect's are a moving target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see the Tigers taking House. They went with Greene over CJ Abrams in 2019 and I think taking House over Lawlar or Mayer would be somewhat similar. Take the better hitter and trust that their defense will still be above average even if they have to slide down the defensive scale (CF to RF for Greene and SS to 3B for House).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scottwood said:

I could see the Tigers taking House. They went with Greene over CJ Abrams in 2019 and I think taking House over Lawlar or Mayer would be somewhat similar. Take the better hitter and trust that their defense will still be above average even if they have to slide down the defensive scale (CF to RF for Greene and SS to 3B for House).

I wouldn't call House the better hitter, more power, sure, but he's not the better hitter, at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Michigan Sports Betting Offer

Michigan launched online sports betting and casino apps on Friday, January 22, 2021. We have selected the top Michigan sportsbooks and casinos that offer excellent bonus offers. Terms and conditions apply.

BetRivers Michigan - Get a 100% up to $250 deposit bonus at their online sportsbook & casino.

Click Here to claim $250 deposit bonus at BetRivers Michigan For Signing Up Now

FanDuel Michigan - Get a $1,000 risk-free bet at FanDuel Michigan on your first bet.

Click Here to claim $1,000 Risk-Free Bet at FanDuel Michigan

BetMGM Michigan - Get a $600 risk-free bet at the BetMGM online casino & sportsbook

Click Here to claim $600 risk-free bet at BetMGM Michigan

   


×
×
  • Create New...