55 minutes ago, Buddha said:

when did bo ever get embarrassed like that?  

bo's problem was that he was too conservative when he had better teams, not that his teams wouldnt alter game plans and got blown out.

True - plus he  was a coach willing to lose a game rather than bench a favorite QB so injured that couldn't even lift his arm to throw the ball.

OTOH - Bo had a lot less recruiting competition so he didn't have to play on a level playing field as often, plus he pretty much made sure not to play the teams that were likely to embarrass him. He wouldn't play the SW at all and the SEC rarely if ever. I think they played Georgia maybe once in Bo's tenure, Oklahoma once in the Orange bowl. There were probably others but I can't think of any. His reason was he believed they  were corrupt, which is fair enough, but it still did protect MI from ever playing some of the  powerhouse teams of the era.

39 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

True - plus he  was a coach willing to lose a game rather than bench a favorite QB so injured that couldn't even lift his arm to throw the ball.

OTOH - Bo had a lot less recruiting competition so he didn't have to play on a level playing field as often, plus he pretty much made sure not to play the teams that were likely to embarrass him. He wouldn't play the SW at all and the SEC rarely if ever. I think they played Georgia maybe once in Bo's tenure, Oklahoma once in the Orange bowl. There were probably others but I can't think of any. His reason was he believed they  were corrupt, which is fair enough, but it still did protect MI from ever playing some of the  powerhouse teams of the era.

in the 1970s they played big 8 schools and pac 8 schools almost every year.  then in the 1980s they went to notre dame, a good second opponent, and a patsy.  including playing both notre dame and miami the year they were #1 and #2.

they never played sec schools because sec schools would never travel.  they played florida state, texas a & m, and south carolina multiple times because those southern schools were willing to come north and play home and home series.

everybody was recruiting in the 1980s and bo still had top 5 finishes.  he could just never go undefeated and win the last game.  he was also almost never blown out.

they played miami and florida state multiple times as those programs became powerhouses.  they played washington and ucla like every other damn year.  

he had a stanford fetish in the 70s after they kept him from winning the national title in 1970.

3 total TDs, a blocked punt, turnover, missed FG and we're only halfway through the 1st!   Crazy start! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Over under was 52 coming into the game.  We're at 31 in the 1st quarter.  

Hope our Defense locks in a bit more

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

Bateman is a good WR

Was about to say the same thing,  I wouldn't mind seeing him in a Lions uniform next year.