Jump to content

Keepleyland2

8/1 @1:10 Cincinnati Reds vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

to yoda's point, if you watch a baseball game, they are all huddled in the dugout and acting normally.  there is no distancing.  yet there are no fans in the stands and it would be easy to put them there.

but they need ads there.

we'll see how the nhl goes because those guys are all on the bench and not in the stands.

conversely, in soccer the players are in the stands in assigned seats and everyone is masked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

mlb is failing because its players failed to act responsibly.  i suppose its a failure of management to assume that the players wouldnt go to strip clubs during a pandemic, but the union was not going to sign off on a bubble or any penalties for its members acting irresponsibly.

I put the majority of the fault on MLB. 

- We don't know that they got it at a strip club. Someone could have gotten it buying groceries and spread it through the dugout. 

- They're allowing players to gather in large numbers in dugouts and the clubhouse. That should have been banned from day 1 of summer camp. 

Ultimately it depends on how it happened. Did 17 people go out and catch it all at the same place? Or did one or two players bring it into the team and it spread from there? I think the latter is more likely. Did the Cardinals go out to a strip club as well?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

Sorry, wrong. Even people wearing masks and properly social distancing catch it rather easily. Dr. Fauci tried to explain just how contagious it is. Something like 80X more contagious than the flu.

especially if youre in a strip club without a mask on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yoda said:

I put the majority of the fault on MLB. 

- We don't know that they got it at a strip club. Someone could have gotten it buying groceries and spread it through the dugout. 

- They're allowing players to gather in large numbers in dugouts and the clubhouse. That should have been banned from day 1 of summer camp. 

Ultimately it depends on how it happened. Did 17 people go out and catch it all at the same place? Or did one or two players bring it into the team and it spread from there? I think the latter is more likely. Did the Cardinals go out to a strip club as well?  

i dont know how the cardinals got it.  you already know the story about how the marlins guys got it.  

if you wanted to do this as safely as possible, you would need to isolate these guys from their families and other potential distractions and the union would never agree to that.

i also agree with you on the dugout issue.  a disaster waiting to happen.

but i also think the players have responsibility for their own actions, and in at least one case, they did not act responsibly.  and i imagine there are more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Sorry, wrong. Even people wearing masks and properly social distancing catch it rather easily. Dr. Fauci tried to explain just how contagious it is. Something like 80X more contagious than the flu.

I agree with this, but then look at the Phillies. There may have been a lot of luck there. I haven't seen which Marlins had it, but it may have just happened to be players who weren't in close proximity to any of the Phillies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Buddha said:

i dont know how the cardinals got it.  you already know the story about how the marlins guys got it.  

if you wanted to do this as safely as possible, you would need to isolate these guys from their families and other potential distractions and the union would never agree to that.

i also agree with you on the dugout issue.  a disaster waiting to happen.

but i also think the players have responsibility for their own actions, and in at least one case, they did not act responsibly.  and i imagine there are more.

We have a theory on how the Marlins got it. That's about it. 

Otherwise I agree. Unfortunately, when MLB, coaches, etc. are acting like it's not a big deal, you're going to take fewer precautions. Hopefully that's a wakeup call for the rest of the players. Doesn't seem to be for MLB as they should have made restrictions much more strict by now, but whatever. 

Probably moot anyhow. I don't think there's a season after we find out a bunch more Cards test positive tomorrow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Sorry, wrong. Even people wearing masks and properly social distancing catch it rather easily. Dr. Fauci tried to explain just how contagious it is. Something like 80X more contagious than the flu.

Don't want to turn this into a COVID debate but while I agree that it is super contagious, way more than the flu but I think if you take proper precautions like wearing a mask, keeping your distance and washing/sanitizing your hands regularly the chances that you get it aren't very good.    

Is it still possible?  Sure, but it's unlikely.    

As I mentioned above Golf(not just the PGA Tour but the LPGA and EURO Tour) have proven that you can travel and have minimal cases.  Not a big NASCAR fan but I believe they are having the same success that golf has been having.    SO it can be done if players and staff handle things properly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Yoda said:

 

Probably moot anyhow. I don't think there's a season after we find out a bunch more Cards test positive tomorrow. 

 

probably not.

the season is already a joke considering how many games have been canceled.  just call it off.  

no revenue for the owners, no checks for the players.  nice job to everyone involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RandyMarsh said:

Don't want to turn this into a COVID debate but while I agree that it is super contagious, way more than the flu but I think if you take proper precautions like wearing a mask, keeping your distance and washing/sanitizing your hands regularly the chances that you get it aren't very good.    

Is it still possible?  Sure, but it's unlikely.    

As I mentioned above Golf(not just the PGA Tour but the LPGA and EURO Tour) have proven that you can travel and have minimal cases.  Not a big NASCAR but I believe they are having the same success that golf has been having.    SO it can be done if players and staff handle things properly.  

european soccer leagues have had no issues.  none.

they use the same lockerooms too and play without masks.  no bubbles.  but no issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I don't see how today's game is played without at least a 2 or 3 hour delay to start. Big rain system moving into the area. 

yeah - they moved it up right into the actual rain pattern. It's going to be raining all around the area in about 1/2 hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Buddha said:

to yoda's point, if you watch a baseball game, they are all huddled in the dugout and acting normally.  there is no distancing.  yet there are no fans in the stands and it would be easy to put them there.

but they need ads there.

we'll see how the nhl goes because those guys are all on the bench and not in the stands.

conversely, in soccer the players are in the stands in assigned seats and everyone is masked up.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Have they or do they plan on making bench alterations?

As far as blaming players or teams or whomever, again, why aren't there canopies in the stands behind the dugouts?  Why have we not heard of GMs/owners mandating bench & personnel in the stands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

especially if youre in a strip club without a mask on!

I just wanted to get some wings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Casimir said:

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  Have they or do they plan on making bench alterations?

As far as blaming players or teams or whomever, again, why aren't there canopies in the stands behind the dugouts?  Why have we not heard of GMs/owners mandating bench & personnel in the stands?

 

Screenshot_20200801-105942_Twitter.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

As far as blaming players or teams or whomever, again, why aren't there canopies in the stands behind the dugouts?  Why have we not heard of GMs/owners mandating bench & personnel in the stands?

yeah  - it makes no sense that they put in additional seating in the stands for pitchers and not for regular players. Well, they did make the dugout bigger, but not really enough to make a big difference or prevent the traffic jams around the dugout steps and tunnel entrances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Don't want to turn this into a COVID debate but while I agree that it is super contagious, way more than the flu but I think if you take proper precautions like wearing a mask, keeping your distance and washing/sanitizing your hands regularly the chances that you get it aren't very good.    

Is it still possible?  Sure, but it's unlikely.    

As I mentioned above Golf(not just the PGA Tour but the LPGA and EURO Tour) have proven that you can travel and have minimal cases.  Not a big NASCAR fan but I believe they are having the same success that golf has been having.    SO it can be done if players and staff handle things properly.  

But there's a chance.

The LPGA is in town and its their first event post shutdown.  One of the golfers mentioned she grabbed her golf ball out of the hole and instinctually waved to the crowd.  How many instinctual baseball behaviors have some risk to them?  And guys are mandated to eliminate some risk by distancing and masking?  It cannot be prevented, but it seems like there are plenty of instances where safety measures to reduce risk are not adequately followed at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah  - it makes no sense that they put in additional seating in the stands for pitchers and not for regular players. Well, they did make the dugout bigger, but not really enough to make a big difference or prevent the traffic jams around the dugout steps and tunnel entrances.

Is it bigger or did they just extend the roof out to the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yeah  - it makes no sense that they put in additional seating in the stands for pitchers and not for regular players. Well, they did make the dugout bigger, but not really enough to make a big difference or prevent the traffic jams around the dugout steps and tunnel entrances.

To be fair, your not likely to catch it in a traffic jam or passing by someone. It's about spending extended time around someone who has it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

 

Screenshot_20200801-105942_Twitter.jpg

Yeah, how they got it is probably on the players.

But then to vote by text to play a game, if team personnel knew of it, that's on them.

There's plenty of blame to go around.  Good grief, that is that an awful franchise when you roll in past ownership and its stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

To be fair, your not likely to catch it in a traffic jam or passing by someone. It's about spending extended time around someone who has it. 

True, but there's plenty of extended time in the dugout during the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Casimir said:

True, but there's plenty of extended time in the dugout during the game.

Correct, I just wanted to point out things like the clubhouse walkway, or steps to the on-deck circle aren't part of the larger issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

If they were to call the season now the Angels would have done the best job of FUBAR for KUMAR.

We'd pick 20th (no astros pick so we move up one spot)...I don't think anyone would have ever thought in 2021 we'd have one of the 9 best records in baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Keepleyland2 said:

We'd pick 20th (no astros pick so we move up one spot)...I don't think anyone would have ever thought in 2021 we'd have one of the 9 best records in baseball. 

I'd imagine they'll do some sort of lottery with records from this "season", last season, and maybe 2018 rolled into it somehow.

Or course, that's assuming humans are still around next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...