Keepleyland2

7/30 @7:10 Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

None of the sports journalists I follow tweeted on their furlough. If they ain’t working, they ain’t tweeting.

5 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Maybin injury silver lining is Reyes can play every day. Better we find out about him and Stewart this year.

I would continue to play Jemier for the same reason. Give him the "full" season. I think Gardy and many have already passed on Lugo.  He's on the team because Al is desperate to salvage something from the JD trade. Having said that Lugo will probably play tomorrow.

Yup, agree on playing Reyes, Stewart, and Candelario.  They can sneak Lugo in there by shifting Candelario to 1B or DHing one of Candelario/Cron/Lugo when Cabrera needs a game off.

Honestly, I think next season is still a rebuild, so no harm in keeping Candelario around.  If Paredes is ready, Candelario can play 1B to hold that space for Torkelson.  If Candelario finally clicks, good.  If not, hey, it didn't work out, but Paredes and Torkelson should have the infield corners by 2022 anyway.

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I was just looking at his numbers, they weren't quite as good as I thought 37-39 though still over 850. My memory is skewed because we were in Minn the year (2010) he put up 1000 ops in 340 AB and that stands out in my memory. I'd certainly take that!

I would ecstatic with Thome's age 37-39 years from Cabrera.  There's a reasonable chance that Cabrera is the .750 OPS guy we saw last year so an 850 OPS would feel like we won the lottery at this point.  That would probably means he stays healthy, which is less likely than him having lingering injury issues every year.    

I don't know if Cabrera can intentionally trade average for power at this point but I would take that trade off in a heartbeat.  The days of him hitting for average and power are clearly past and a .280 average with 15 home runs in 500 at bats just isn't going to cut it.  Give me a .240-.250 average with 30+ home runs (albeit a juiced ball) any day of the week.

3 hours ago, Hart said:

I would ecstatic with Thome's age 37-39 years from Cabrera.  There's a reasonable chance that Cabrera is the .750 OPS guy we saw last year so an 850 OPS would feel like we won the lottery at this point.  That would probably means he stays healthy, which is less likely than him having lingering injury issues every year.    

I don't know if Cabrera can intentionally trade average for power at this point but I would take that trade off in a heartbeat.  The days of him hitting for average and power are clearly past and a .280 average with 15 home runs in 500 at bats just isn't going to cut it.  Give me a .240-.250 average with 30+ home runs (albeit a juiced ball) any day of the week.

I've been suggesting him take this approach for a couple years now.  The Cabrera that can hit 330 and 40 bombs appears to be long gone so I think it's going to be a choice of one or the other(to a certain extent probably not going to hit either target if he tried).   He can go the route that he has been the previous few years of still trying to spray the ball to all fields and have a relatively good average of .280-.290 but with no power or you can take the ole Adam Dunn approach and just punt average and either take a walk or swing for the fences. 

I think the latter may be Cabrera's best option cause he's still strong enough but he isn't as quick or have the reflexes of his younger self.  He may only hit .240-250 but if he can hit 30 bombs and draw a decent amount of walks he could still provide some value offensively.   I'd choose that over an empty .280 BA, especially considering his station to station baserunning.