ROMAD1

What will be the October Surprise this year?

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

an extension of that is that gaffes or verbal slip-ups or dumb statements that would have been news in previous cycles (such as Hillary's Deplorables comment) perhaps aren't going to break through in the same way they did before

I would also like to believe that as the stake go up, people are simply less interested in/swayed by trivialities.

Or maybe another way to look at it is that the Repubs already ignore mountains of faults in Trump because the various GOP constituencies are persuaded of the existential importance of their issues, whether it be abortion, white supremacy or maintenance of gay exclusion. The rise of Trump has given the D side reasons to take the threat of the other side as a more existential threat, so why shouldn't the left, feeling the same kind of threat level, start taking a "Cyrus" view of their imperfect guy? Thus  things like 'gaffe' coverage get less traction?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would also like to believe that as the stake go up, people are simply less interested in/swayed by trivialities.

I was going to follow up on my comment with something to this effect, you beat me to it.... it's a luxury to be able to focus on the trivialities of a Presidential election as it is a sign that times are good.

And the times are not good right now.

32 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I was going to follow up on my comment with something to this effect, you beat me to it.... it's a luxury to be able to focus on the trivialities of a Presidential election as it is a sign that times are good.

And the times are not good right now.

Yep - Maslow's hierarchy indeed.

I guess the good news here is that she didn't wait until late October to make this announcement, thus frontburnering 2A as THE top issue for the election and driving all the red hats to the polls. As it is, I'm not so sure Trump won't be able to keep this on the top of the pops for the next three months. Guns is the one thing red hats get the most excited about, and they have a bottomless appetite for maintaining a siege mentality concerning the issue.

That the NY AG is black will be just icing on the cake for them.

I'm ambivalent about it..... on one hand, the organization is, by all accounts, corrupt from the top-down. On the other hand, while their political standing is damaged on account of its corruption, it seems like a needless political fight to have in the middle of an election year.

4 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I know several gun owners who hate the NRA

What if the Republicans were to hammer home the point that dissolving the NRA is the first step toward the inevitable dissolution of the Second Amendment? Are your friends immune to that messaging?

Just now, chasfh said:

What if the Republicans were to hammer home the point that dissolving the NRA is the first step toward the inevitable dissolution of the Second Amendment? Are your friends immune to that messaging?

If they were smart, they would just migrate to Gun Owners of America or some other lobbying group that isn't wildly corrupt.

The thing about the NRA is that while they can animate partisanship on the R-side, they increasingly drive it on the D-side now too.

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

What if the Republicans were to hammer home the point that dissolving the NRA is the first step to dissolving the Second Amendment? Are your friends immune to that messaging?

Yes because they don't like the NRA for the very reasons the AG pointed out.  They would see right through that.  Don't get me wrong, they are always bitching about the fact that they think people are overreacing to the AR 15 and all of that so they're still very protective of gun rights... they just don't see the NRA as any vehicle for protecting it.  These aren't democrats and I assume will vote for Trump. 

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

If they were smart, they would just migrate to Gun Owners of America or some other lobbying group that isn't wildly corrupt.

The thing about the NRA is that while they can animate partisanship on the R-side, they increasingly drive it on the D-side now too.

I agree, but that's not the point, though. The point is using this action by the NY AG to scare the **** out of the red hats that teh gummint blacks are coming for their guns.

Just now, chasfh said:

That's not the point, though. The point is using this action by the NY AG to scare the **** out of the red hats that teh blacks in gummint are coming for their guns.

so it's exactly what they've been doing for decades?

2 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yes because they don't like the NRA for the very reasons the AG pointed out.  They would see right through that.  Don't get me wrong, they are always bitching about the fact that they think people are overreacing to the AR 15 and all of that so they're still very protective of gun rights... they just don't see the NRA as any vehicle for protecting it.  

You have gun owner friends with nuanced views about it. could we apply that to Trump-loving gun owners?

Seems to me that if they're frauds, then they're frauds regardless of the politics, and should be pursued as frauds. I'm good with this.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pfife said:

so it's exactly what they've been doing for decades?

yuuuuuup

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

You have gun owner friends with nuanced views about it. could we apply that to Trump-loving gun owners?

Believe it or not, there are people who will vote for Trump in November who have nuanced views on any number of subjects. Guns included.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Believe it or not, there are people who will vote for Trump in November who have nuanced views on any number of subjects. Guns included.

Correct.  Most Trump voters are not drooling idiotic white morons that is stereotyped.

28 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yes, although I'm not talking about those guys. I'm talking about R using the NY AG action to excite scared red hats to the polls.

5 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Yes, although I'm not talking about those guys. I'm talking about R using the NY AG action to excite scared red hats to the polls.

And?

I swear, we've had about 15-20 different iterations of this argument over the past few months.... something happens, and then "what'll that do to the red hats to fire them up"?

Probably just best to assume that Trump's base is gonna be fired up regardless... to the extent that I worry about this action against the NRA, it's less to do with his hardcore base and more to do with perhaps some marginal swing voters who are sympathetic to the NRA.

giving the gun voters more rage fuel wasn't something I hoped for.   The NRA does need to be broken up.  Particularly for their ties to Russia and as a vessel for Russian interference. 

3 hours ago, ewsieg said:

... My point... a man running for POTUS... responded to a rather simple question by a black reporter with 'are you a junkie...

Don't care one whit.

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And?

I swear, we've had about 15-20 different iterations of this argument over the past few months.... something happens, and then "what'll that do to the red hats to fire them up"?

Probably just best to assume that Trump's base is gonna be fired up regardless... to the extent that I worry about this action against the NRA, it's less to do with his hardcore base and more to do with perhaps some marginal swing voters who are sympathetic to the NRA.

Exactly.

Don't care one whit.

Let the NRA go up in flames.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And?

and its a stupid lawsuit designed solely to increase the public knowledge of the new york attorney general to further her political chances in the future.

and the only realistic october surprises that will matter will be a vaccine or joe biden dying.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

and its a stupid lawsuit designed solely to increase the public knowledge of the new york attorney general to further her political chances in the future.

are you aware of the NRA's excesses?  Do you know this is a political show?

1 minute ago, ROMAD1 said:

are you aware of the NRA's excesses?  Do you know this is a political show?

im aware.

did you see her PR announcement yesterday about the big news!  and the big press conference today?

its all politics, man.

• Thanks 1