ROMAD1

What will be the October Surprise this year?

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I typed in Google "Biden are you a junkie" and literally every mainstream media outlet has a report on it. What is the appropriate level of coverage it would need to satisfy you? 

I think he's just saying it didn't dominate the news like you might expect that type of comment to result in today.  If Trump had said that, it would have been the main headline on every major news source until he did something else to push it down.  Of the ones I saw that did report it, it also didn't mention the reporter was black.  Had to learn that through my conservative friends Facebook feeds.

In the 10 minutes of news I happened to see last night the only Trump/Biden news I saw had Biden driving around in a Corvette.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I think he's just saying it didn't dominate the news like you might expect that type of comment to result in today. 

Why would it dominate the news in any scenario?

Not defending the comment in anyway, it's classic Biden gaffery. But in a world where 150000+ Americans are dead from Coronavirus, supplemental UI has expired, a major world city was leveled in an ammonium nitrate explosion, etc., why would that comment be A1?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I think he's just saying it didn't dominate the news like you might expect that type of comment to result in today.  If Trump had said that, it would have been the main headline on every major news source until he did something else to push it down.  Of the ones I saw that did report it, it also didn't mention the reporter was black.  Had to learn that through my conservative friends Facebook feeds.

In the 10 minutes of news I happened to see last night the only Trump/Biden news I saw had Biden driving around in a Corvette.

Biden isn't president. Haven't we forgotten the attention to Obama's birt certificate and tan suit? Trump literally just said it is what it is to 150k people dying. If fat *** didn't want scrutiny, he shouldn't have ran for President. 

For what it's worth, I watch the local Fox affiliate every morning for news. To the extent that I watch any TV news, that's where I go.

The Presidents comments and tweets, let alone any comments by Biden, don't "dominate" the programming. Probably because of *waves hands around* all of these other things going on.

Relax folks.  I wasn't saying Biden's comment was worse than anything Trump said.  I didn't say there aren't other points that work in reverse (ie., Benghazi vs Russian bounties).   

My point, and it's a simple point, a man running for POTUS, hasn't been out in the forefront like a major party candidate normally would be, and by all accounts considered to be the front runner with less then 100 days to go until the election responded to a rather simple question by a black reporter with 'are you a junkie?!?!'.   

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Why would it dominate the news in any scenario?

Not defending the comment in anyway, it's classic Biden gaffery. But in a world where 150000+ Americans are dead from Coronavirus, supplemental UI has expired, a major world city was leveled in an ammonium nitrate explosion, etc., why would that comment be A1?

It's a "gaffe" because that's how media portray's Biden's misstatements - he's given the benefit of the doubt.  When Trump says something that's similarly stupid the media portrays him as a hateful, crappy person.  Trump is a crappy president and I'm not voting for him but I can see his point when he complains about "fake news".

• Like 1

Just now, ewsieg said:

Relax folks.  I wasn't saying Biden's comment was worse than anything Trump said.  I didn't say there aren't other points that work in reverse (ie., Benghazi vs Russian bounties).   

My point, and it's a simple point, a man running for POTUS, hasn't been out in the forefront like a major party candidate normally would be, and by all accounts considered to be the front runner with less then 100 days to go until the election responded to a rather simple question by a black reporter with 'are you a junkie?!?!'.   

But then you made this point, which I then responded to:

19 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I think he's just saying it didn't dominate the news like you might expect that type of comment to result in today.

And subsequently gave reasons for why the comment, in fact, wouldn't dominate the news.

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

I think Biden's team has strategized having him sit in his basement and let Trump self-destruct is the safest path to EC victory.  Biden's candidacy has been among the lowest profile I can recall in any POTUS election in my lifetime.

1 minute ago, Euphdude said:

It's a "gaffe" because that's how media portray's Biden's misstatements - he's given the benefit of the doubt.  When Trump says something that's similarly stupid the media portrays him as a hateful, crappy person.  Trump is a crappy president and I'm not voting for him but I can see his point when he complains about "fake news".

Trump has a history of actions to back up his comments.

I also read the context of Biden's comment. Apparently, Biden felt he was being stereotyped by the reporter based on age and he retorted by stereotyping the black reporter. 

56 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Indeed - Biden is a gaffe machine and his comms team will want to keep that out of the public eye as much as possible.  To Biden's benefit -- his "are you a junkie" comment  yesterday to a black reporter didn't get much coverage from MSM.

trashing reporters is the norm now, they don't cover Trump doing it either these days.

2 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's a "gaffe" because that's how media portray's Biden's misstatements - he's given the benefit of the doubt.  When Trump says something that's similarly stupid the media portrays him as a hateful, crappy person.  

Trump does a good enough job conveying his crappiness on his own.

25 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I disagree.   Trump insults reporters almost daily and no one cares.   There was a time where we did, but that time isn't now.

The irony here is the exchange with the reporter came about from the media scrutinizing Biden's cognitive ability. 

5 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I think Biden's team has strategized having him sit in his basement and let Trump self-destruct is the safest path to EC victory.  Biden's candidacy has been among the lowest profile I can recall in any POTUS election in my lifetime.

I suspect this is not only strategy but also b/c of the pandemic.

• Like 1

The Joe Biden comment was, IIRC, the number one trending thing on Twitter yesterday morning. The political press seemed quite taken by it.

Maybe it's less that it's not covered and more that people just don't react the way that some want them to react to the comment.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

But then you made this point, which I then responded to:

And subsequently gave reasons for why the comment, in fact, wouldn't dominate the news.

Actually that's the argument I made to say it would dominate the news in today's world.   If I told a black co-worker, in a serious manner "are you a junkie?!?!" i'm not finishing the week at work if he reports it.  If he has it on videotape, i'm not finishing the day.  

And I think most of you would agree, if Trump did this, it would be non-stop coverage, until he did something else stupid enough to bump it.  That's all I was trying to say.  

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

I disagree.   Trump insults reporters almost daily and no one cares.   There was a time where we did, but that time isn't now.

To this day his mocking a disable reporter continues to get play and brought up when they talk about how he handles media.  If he were the one to call a black reporter "are you a junkie?!?!?" because of a simple question, it would be played back to back with his mocking of the disabled reporter.

Just now, ewsieg said:

Actually that's the argument I made to say it would dominate the news in today's world.   If I told a black co-worker, in a serious manner "are you a junkie?!?!" i'm not finishing the week at work if he reports it.  If he has it on videotape, i'm not finishing the day.  

And I think most of you would agree, if Trump did this, it would be non-stop coverage, until he did something else stupid enough to bump it.  That's all I was trying to say.  

I totally don't agree.  Trump does this kind of stuff all the time and it's definitely not non-stop coverage.

3 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Trump says about 20-30 things every time he holds a press conference that are as or more nuclear weapons grade as that comment. 

Guess what I woke up to on the front page of the New York Times this morning? 

1. Coronavirus
  2. Jobless Claims
  3. Beirut
  4. Trump's Bank Being Subpoenaed (ie. unrelated to anything he said in yesterday's press conference)

Again, there's a lot of other **** going on in this world than the Presidential Election.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ewsieg said:

To this day his mocking a disable reporter continues to get play and brought up when they talk about how he handles media.  If he were the one to call a black reporter "are you a junkie?!?!?" because of a simple question, it would be played back to back with his mocking of the disabled reporter.

"get play and brought up" = "non-stop coverage" now I suppose.   

How many times has Trump trashed Yamiche and it isn't being brought up now?    The dude spent most of his COVID pressers fighting and trolling the press for the last 3 months and we're not talking about that.

8 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's also the first election in your lifetime taking place in the middle of a pandemic where rallies and events are cancelled.  That's why it's low profile.  Trump is president so he gets to do press conferences and such and be in the news.  BIden's not running anything government related right now so there's nothing for him to do.  He can't show up at an auto plant like he could in a normal campaign.  They're not hiding him in the basement.

• Thanks 2