Jump to content

Keepleyland2

7/29 @7:10 Kansas City Royals vs Detroit Tigers

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, chasfh said:

This is not the track record of an organization that puts emphasis into constructing a defensively-sound team

the last few years have also been the track record of a team in a total tear down. To compare that to teams DD had built to win with seems apples to oranges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

it is the track record of team in a total tear down.

They weren't in total teardown the first seven years of the 2010s.

Defense is simply an afterthought with this front office.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chasfh said:

They weren't in total teardown the first seven years of the 2010s.

Defense is simply an afterthought with this front office.

we will agree to disagree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

we will agree to disagree.

Deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, chasfh said:

Isaac Paredes is closer.

Harold Castro says hello.

That would get a LH bat into the lineup. We only have 3 and one is Stewart who is not sure thing to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Taking his last 250 PA, which is May11 to Aug 8, 69 K (still too high), 24 BB (not bad), 264/343/486 for a 829 OPS.  You can win with that production from a plus defensive CF.  Fly in the ointment is that his BaBIP over that span was 343, which is on the high side of what JaCoby will likely sustain. 

You can win with 750 OPS from a plus CF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Harold Castro says hello.

That would get a LH bat into the lineup. We only have 3 and one is Stewart who is not sure thing to stay.

Do you like Harold Castro as a long term solution at third? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Do you like Harold Castro as a long term solution at third? 

Going back to the topic of defense, my knock on H. Castro is that he seems to be a sloppy defender. He has enough talent with his glove, but he seems to nonchalant (or give up?) plays too often for my taste. If not for that that I'd like him more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Going back to the topic of defense, my knock on H. Castro is that he seems to be a sloppy defender. He has enough talent with his glove, but he seems to nonchalant (or give up?) plays too often for my taste. If not for that that I'd like him more. 

What makes Harold valuable is his versatility. He can play five positions passably and could wield a decent enough stick to get 80 spot starts a year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You can win with 750 OPS from a plus CF.

yup. I think for JJ the key is just staying on the field. If he can keep from being nicked up all the time, I think he can do OK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Alternately, 850 OPS from a plus CF is an all-star caliber player.

****, 850 from almost any player that can reasonably field his position is an all star caliber player.

Remember when castellanos was on his valiant quest for an 850 ops and how he was a borderline all star? If he could actually catch the ball he would be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

You can win with 750 OPS from a plus CF.

 

 

24 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

yup. I think for JJ the key is just staying on the field. If he can keep from being nicked up all the time, I think he can do OK.

This is true, but elite defensive ability tends not to last very long.  We tend to think of defense as a stable skill, but it can be just as fleeting if not more so than hitting and Jones is 28.   https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2020/05/08/a-closer-look-at-defensive-aging-curves/

runs-saved-by-age.png  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jones does pass the eye test in terms of being a great defender but has his numbers ever indicated that out in cf? I know a couple years ago his metrics were elite but I thought most of that came from the corners. 

Either way though ill take neutral defense from him in cf if he can continue to hit like he has the past year or so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

 

 

This is true, but elite defensive ability tends not to last very long.  We tend to think of defense as a stable skill, but it can be just as fleeting if not more so than hitting and Jones is 28.   https://sportsinfosolutionsblog.com/2020/05/08/a-closer-look-at-defensive-aging-curves/

runs-saved-by-age.png  

I blame some of this on the HR craze as well. I give Stewart credit for trying to recapture some quickness in his workouts this year, but most guys are just were Stewart was last year,  more than willing to give up speed and throwing by optimizing their training around hitting HRs. I can't blame them because that is what the game incentivizes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The hot hand is a myth.

Justin Upton disagrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Justin Upton disagrees.

FYI he hit career HR #300 last eve. I'm watching as much baseball as I can these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, leflore said:

FYI he hit career HR #300 last eve. I'm watching as much baseball as I can these days

Wow, 300?  That doesn't seem possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Casimir said:

Wow, 300?  That doesn't seem possible.

He's only 32. I would think he has a decent shot at 400

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Why?  He started young.

Yeah, he did, I had forgotten about that.  

 

Quote

Debut: August 2, 2007 (Age 19-342d,

I think the other thing is that I still sometimes have a hard time with mentally updating the 300 HR plateau into current times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...