RedRamage

Hall of Fame - Who's the next Tiger (or former Tiger) in?

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

A few years back before we traded him I thought Kinsler had an outside shot at it, at the time he was still putting up solid numbers. 

If he could've maintained his 2017 pace for 4 or 5 more years he would've finished around 75WAR and he may have had a chance but unfortunately for him he just fell off a cliff shortly after.  

I assume you mean 2016 and he was 34 then.

Age 34-35 is pretty much when one should expect a middle infielder to fall off a cliff.

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

Jarrod Washburn - I will never forget this one.....dude had a 2.5 ERA or something when we got him and it was crickets about the deal and I was so confused as to why.  He ended up blowing for us and retired after that season....weird.

IIRC it was known his shoulder was jacked at the time of the deal and he was going to retire at season's end.  It is why the Tigers were able to get him cheap.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I assume you mean 2016 and he was 34 then.

Age 34-35 is pretty much when one should expect a middle infielder to fall off a cliff.

Yeah I think that was the year.   I didn't expect him to post another 5 seasons of 6 WAR but I thought if he aged gracefully he could put up 15 wins in 5 years which would put him in the mid 70s, but instead he only put up another 2 wins total.

It was never likely that he could hang 5 years beyond age 34 as a middle infielder.

Frankly the far more likely outcome was two more seasons at 4-5 WAR and even that was pretty unlikely.

It wasn't likely he post his best season at age 34 but he did.  So yeah it wasn't likely but the fact that he not only showed zero signs of slowing down but instead playing his best would suggest that maybe he could be somebody that could handle being a regular middle infielder for another 5 years. 

Plus its not like he's Omar Vizquel, Kinsler could actually hit so even if he had to move positions he could still provide some value with his bat.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

If he wins one more CY Young and one more ring as an Astro, he goes in as an Astro. 😁

I wonder this as well... Right now if his career ended I think he'd be in as a Tiger.  But another couple of years... another few accomplishments in an Astro's uni and he might go in as an Astro.

23 hours ago, Yoda said:

I think the next Tiger in is i don't care. 

What matters is whether he goes in as a Tiger.  

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I wonder this as well... Right now if his career ended I think he'd be in as a Tiger.  But another couple of years... another few accomplishments in an Astro's uni and he might go in as an Astro.

Will the fact that he played on a team that cheated tarnish his World Series ring?  Will it impact his HOF chances at all (like not get in his first year)? 

13 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

Concern troll. :wink:

15 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

Will it impact his HOF chances at all (like not get in his first year)? 

I wouldn't think so. It was a hitting scandal and he is a pitcher.  I haven't gotten much sense of guilt by association effect tarring Houston pitchers.

3 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

Will the fact that he played on a team that cheated tarnish his World Series ring?  Will it impact his HOF chances at all (like not get in his first year)? 

Yeah....no

3 hours ago, bobrob2004 said:

It seems unlikely since he wasn't one of the ones accused of cheating.  There will probably be a group of sanctimonious writers that try to keep all Astros of the era out, but I don't think there'd be enough to keep Verlander out.