RedRamage

Hall of Fame - Who's the next Tiger (or former Tiger) in?

Just a discussion question: Who do you think the next Tiger will be to make it into the HOF?  Additionally: Who do you think will be the next former Tiger elected?  That is, someone who played at least one full season with the Tigers but will enter the Hall with someone else's hat?

Verlander, if his current injury heralds the end of his career. If Verlander overcomes it and pitches as long as he'd like to, Cabrera will beat him to the Hall.

Whitaker is next (or won't happen for him).  Followed by either Verlander or Cabrera.  Cabrera is sure-fire 1st ballot.  Verlander could be, too.  With his injury and Cabrera's declining health, will be interesting to see how much is left in the tank, for either.  What works against Verlander is a low win total (226) and lousy World Series performance (0-6).  His other stats/accomplishments should outweigh that, though.

I think there are 3 guys that are locks.  Verlander, Scherzer, and Cabrera. All 3 of these guys are first ballot HOFers, no question.  Cabrera first because I can't imagine anyone signing him once his contract is up.

I believe Cabrera has 4 more years left on his contract (including this year) or is it 3?

And btw, 220 wins in the majors now is a lot of wins.  Wins aren't looked at like they were 40 years ago.  There are only 3 active players with 200 wins right now, and there are only 10 guys that have 150.  If Clayton Kershaw retired right now, he would be a 1st ballot lock and he only has 169 wins.  Verlander and Scherzer are both in the conversation with Kershaw as the best pitcher of this era.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sheffield

I don't think he'll make it.  He's a borderline guy with connections to steroids.  

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Joe Nathan

Nathan is interesting.  He's someone who I don't think belongs but will probably get a lot of consideration as a top closer.  

43 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I don't think he'll make it.  He's a borderline guy with connections to steroids.  

Nathan is interesting.  He's someone who I don't think belongs but will probably get a lot of consideration as a top closer.  

I'd love to see Nathan get to Cooperstown quickly  - I would suggest loading him into a canon and firing toward upstate NY.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I had to name someone plausible that wouldn't ordinarily be mentioned.  I am sure you will understand.

4 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'd love to see Nathan get to Cooperstown quickly  - I would suggest loading him into a canon and firing toward upstate NY.

I figured he'd get a rise here. Seriously though, his stats are similar to Sutter's 

6 minutes ago, leflore said:

I figured he'd get a rise here. Seriously though, his stats are similar to Sutter's 

LOL. TBF, the beef is really with Dombrowski. That Nathan was done by the time he got here was not really his fault - like they say, nobody is going to turn down the money. But he was also a very easy guy to dislike. Let's just say, he was no Phil Coke.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL. TBF, the beef is really with Dombrowski. That Nathan was done by the time he got here was not really his fault - like they say, nobody is going to turn down the money. But he was also a very easy guy to dislike. Let's just say, he was no Phil Coke.

Nathan was old, but he was coming off a great year. He just took a step back and got a bit unlucky as well.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I had to name someone plausible that wouldn't ordinarily be mentioned.  I am sure you will understand.

Yes, I know you understand Hall of Fame credentials.  I just saw the name and felt compelled to comment. 

I understand why you had to respond as well.

Otherwise it is Verlander or Cabrea, whichever retires first, discussion over.

And what is the fun in that?

12 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Nathan was old, but he was coming off a great year. He just took a step back and got a bit unlucky as well.

Which is how many players' career end.

I think Scherzer will get in too so its likely going to come down to who retires first between him,  Miggy and JV.

Still talking 5 years after they retire - so likely at least another 7-8 years. I remain confident Lou will get in before that

Verlander and Cabrera are first ballot locks.

All this thread needs now is for Chaz to concern troll about whether Verlander goes in as a Tiger or an Astro.

I think that when Tork hits 600 homers in his first 5 years the Cooperstown guys will say "**** it, induct him right now".

JV and Miggy are low hanging fruit. Anybody could guess them. I'll go for a gritty player...Donnie Baseball. Don Kelly.  🤪🤪🤪

Will the Veteran’s Committee remember Nook Logan? 

10 hours ago, leflore said:

Joe Nathan

I was going to pick Nathan too.  Although Billy Wagner hasn't gotten in yet and they have very similar numbers.