Gehringer_2

2020 Tiger Non-Game Thread Thead

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

Is that shrine new?  I've taken that ferry several times, most recently two years ago,  and I never noticed the Thomas tribute.  I did, however, see the statue of Bud Slug at Miller Park.  Now there's a monument that truly deserves to be torn down.

Shrine is probably a stretch - there are things like a framed autographed jersey. 

It was there last August when I took the ferry

I can only see bringing Mize up in this meaningless faux season if it accelerates his development more than being in Toledo. I’m not interested in holding him back by aligning myself with owners efforts to suppress player salaries through control. I get it but I don’t like it.

I’m not included in present-day celebrations of ownership prerogatives any more than ancient subject populations were included in the alleged prosperity brought to them by the Roman Empire’s roads and laws which simply rationalized the process of seizing their wealth by force. 

With pitchers Im not that concerned with service time but with that said if what people are saying about it possibly being a 2 year difference by waiting to next year its hard to say no to that. 

The longer they are under control the more valuable they are to not only us but potentially other teams if we decide to trade one of them down the road. 

For example Who knows a couple years from now all our pitchers could end up actually hitting their potential and we could find ourselves with an abundance of pitching talent. If we decide to deal from strength at that point the guy we trade is gonna have a alot more value if say he has 5 yrs vs. 3 or 4 vs 2. 

I know this is an unlikely scenario but I think stuff like this should atleast be considered before burning time on meaningless games. 

I agree with whomever posted that this will be changing with the upcoming new CBA. I see no way the players continue to get screwed by being left down for the sole purpose of hanging onto control time. That 100% favors ownership and the team and only screws the player. If Mize needs development, by all means hold him back. If not, why? 

1 hour ago, IdahoBert said:

I can only see bringing Mize up in this meaningless faux season if it accelerates his development more than being in Toledo. I’m not interested in holding him back by aligning myself with owners efforts to suppress player salaries through control. I get it but I don’t like it.

I’m not included in present-day celebrations of ownership prerogatives any more than ancient subject populations were included in the alleged prosperity brought to them by the Roman Empire’s roads and laws which simply rationalized the process of seizing their wealth by force. 

I could not care less what's good for the owners.  I am a customer and the customer is always right!

8 minutes ago, leflore said:

I agree with whomever posted that this will be changing with the upcoming new CBA. I see no way the players continue to get screwed by being left down for the sole purpose of hanging onto control time. That 100% favors ownership and the team and only screws the player. If Mize needs development, by all means hold him back. If not, why? 

The players will probably end up signing on to deal trades some short term cash for a system that is even worse for the fans than the current one. Neither the fans nor the owners care about the fans.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The players will probably end up signing on to deal trades some short term cash for a system that is even worse for the fans than the current one. Neither the fans nor the owners care about the fans.

Max does. Dude took out a full page ad thanking the fans when he left town.