Gehringer_2

2020 Tiger Non-Game Thread Thead

9 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

Easily. They should start working on a statue for him right now. 

I can't imagine the statue business is booming right now.  Or maybe it is?  Hard to tell.

5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know the reference, but since it is Jered Weaver, he can eat both a dick and Skyline chili.

• Like 1

And Guillen watches it go. And he watches. He takes a step. He then takes another step. He turns his head ever so slightly and looks at Weaver, then holds out his right arm and drops the bat dramatically. He fully turns to look at Weaver and hops. I haven’t seen anyone try so hard to steal a scene since the last Mel Brooks movie I saw. If he could have, Guillen would tried to steal Weaver’s girl, scratched Weaver’s car, stolen Weaver’s lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it. It was as bush league as anything I can remember for a long time.
--Joe Polanski

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

And Guillen watches it go. And he watches. He takes a step. He then takes another step. He turns his head ever so slightly and looks at Weaver, then holds out his right arm and drops the bat dramatically. He fully turns to look at Weaver and hops. I haven’t seen anyone try so hard to steal a scene since the last Mel Brooks movie I saw. If he could have, Guillen would tried to steal Weaver’s girl, scratched Weaver’s car, stolen Weaver’s lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it. It was as bush league as anything I can remember for a long time.
--Joe Polanski

GUILLEN: I like bush so I take that as a compliment. 

IIRC wasn't the whole reason why Guillen showboated so blatantly was to prove a point to Weaver that what he accused Magglio of doing was not showboating?   I seem to remember Weaver bitching at Magglio for "watching" a HR when all Magglio was doing was making sure it was fair so being a good friend of Magglio,  Carlos decided to give a giant F.U. to Weaver and show him what watching and showboating a HR really looks like.  If that's accurate I don't think what Carlos did was bush league at all. 

I will say What was kinda bush league in that game was Verlander throwing a mini temper tantrum for Aybar bunting during his no hitter, I get that's an unwritten rule but it was only a 1 or 2 run game at that time so I thought the bunt was perfectly reasonable and there was no reason for JV to get so upset about it.  

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

IIRC wasn't the whole reason why Guillen showboated so blatantly was to prove a point to Weaver that what he accused Magglio of doing was not showboating?   I seem to remember Weaver bitching at Magglio for "watching" a HR when all Magglio was doing was making sure it was fair so being a good friend of Magglio,  Carlos decided to give a giant F.U. to Weaver and show him what watching and showboating a HR really looks like.  If that's accurate I don't think what Carlos did was bush league at all. 

I will say What was kinda bush league in that game was Verlander throwing a mini temper tantrum for Aybar bunting during his no hitter, I get that's an unwritten rule but it was only a 1 or 2 run game at that time so I thought the bunt was perfectly reasonable and there was no reason for JV to get so upset about it.  

yeah Maggs hit a dinger down the line and did that whole watch will it go fair or foul thing as he jogged down the line. Weaver took exception and was acting like a ***** the rest of the game. Till Guillen did that. 

The next inmning Aybar bunted

Weaver threw directly at Avila's head after the HR.

People can debate bush league all they want, but throwing at someone's head is dangerous AF.

Forgot all about him throwing at Avila's head, yeah that's a major no no.    Considering how Avila's head seemed to be a magnet for foul tips in that era figures it would be him that had a pitch thrown at his head.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

He ducked it and handled it professionally while Weaver pitched a tantrum on the mound.

I'll never forget that.

Well everybody knew it was coming after the guillen thing. 

I remember I went to the game the day before, chose that one cause I wanted to see Jacob Turner's debut(actually sat a few rows ahead of his parents who they interviewed on the national Fox broadcast), pretty uneventful game otherwise.   So wish I went to the Sunday game instead.   

Between all the fireworks with Weaver, JV working on a no no and both of them being 1A and 1B in the Cy Young race at the time that all made for one of the better regular season Tigers games I can remember.  

1 minute ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Well everybody knew it was coming after the guillen thing. 

Sure, but I would suggest a majority, if not a vast majority, of hitters would have charged the mound.

10 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Between all the fireworks with Weaver, JV working on a no no and both of them being 1A and 1B in the Cy Young race at the time that all made for one of the better regular season Tigers games I can remember.  

Because Guillen ****ing owned whiny Jared Weaver like a gd boss.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Sure, but I would suggest a majority, if not a vast majority, of hitters would have charged the mound.

Sure. 

But, pretty sure Socia was already in the first base coaching box to get Weaver...come to think of it the ump might have been between home and the mound when the pitch was delievered. 

Pretty sure it was just the first pitch in the next AB.

If the manager wanted to pull Weaver, he had plenty of time to do it after the HR.

The umpire was behind home plate.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Pretty sure it was the next AB and a normal pitch.

The umpire was behind home plate.

Hyperbole for effect there my friend. 

Whoa, this whole thing might get shut down sooner than we imagined.

My updated autographed Tiger prospects/young guys cards.  Need a Riley Greene, but they are very expensive right now, so I’ll wait for the prices to come down on eBay.  Tork doesn’t have a card yet, and I haven’t seen a Paredes in a Tigers uniform.

38A75B87-1FF4-41BB-B3B0-7BEF36CDC777.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

My updated autographed Tiger prospects/young guys cards.  Need a Riley Greene, but they are very expensive right now, so I’ll wait for the prices to come down on eBay.  Tork doesn’t have a card yet, and I haven’t seen a Paredes in a Tigers uniform.

Very nice.  There is a 2018 Bowman Paredes in a Tigers Uniform.

7 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Very cool. I'm still an avid collector but nothing newer than 1978. Just bought 12 t205 Tigers and 7 t207 Tigers.

Serious question - will you be ordering a Topps Dr Fauci card of him throwing out the first pitch at a Nats game? Preorders for this card have doubled the previously greatest preordered card, a Vlad Guerrero rookie.

The majority of my autographed cards, besides Tigers players, are guys I grew up watching in the 70’s and 80’s. Here are some others I have...

B4164A7F-5FF2-4BE4-9F61-A09F7F4E8D15.jpeg