Gehringer_2

2020 Tiger Non-Game Thread Thead

19 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

My impression is that there is no baseball journalist in Detroit really worth reading anymore unless they happen to have an inside scoop and that's going to show up on twitter long before it hits the papers.  I don't get the  impression that they are overly optimistic, just not very relevant.    

Correct. If you follow McCosky on twitter or even read Jason Beck you are going going to get the basic nuts and bolts, but that is it.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

My impression is that there is no baseball journalist in Detroit really worth reading anymore unless they happen to have an inside scoop and that's going to show up on twitter long before it hits the papers.  I don't get the  impression that they are overly optimistic, just not very relevant.    

In my opinion, Evan Woodberry of mlive is very good. The rest seem pretty paint by numbers. 

McCosky does have the occasional interesting insight. But he also often acts like a child, and his editors miss a lot of his obvious mistakes. 

Fenech, I don’t even know what his job entails these days, but he has embraced the cynic’s view of the anti-Avila brigade, and he seems to insert himself into the story a bit too much. He often acts like he is a member of the White House press corps and needs to hold the powerful accountable or some **** like that. 

I miss Lynn Henning at this point. He would vacillate between overly optimistic about prospects like Kody Clemens and then overly pessimistic about how the team is doomed, often in the same week. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shelton said:

In my opinion, Evan Woodberry of mlive is very good. The rest seem pretty paint by numbers. 

McCosky does have the occasional interesting insight. But he also often acts like a child, and his editors miss a lot of his obvious mistakes. 

Fenech, I don’t even know what his job entails these days, but he has embraced the cynic’s view of the anti-Avila brigade, and he seems to insert himself into the story a bit too much. He often acts like he is a member of the White House press corps and needs to hold the powerful accountable or some **** like that. 

I miss Lynn Henning at this point. He would vacillate between overly optimistic about prospects like Kody Clemens and then overly pessimistic about how the team is doomed, often in the same week. 

Henning had his faults and pet peeves. But he warmed up to analytics long before anyone else in Detroit who wrote about the Tigers. Tom Gage covered the Tigers into the 2010s, and at the time of his retirement he was still fixated on batting average and RBI.  

I liked Henning.  He was entertaining and was one of the first Detroit journalists to cover prospects and sabermetrics a little bit and he did a good job with his Hall of Fame ballot.  He was also respectful of fans.  Sometimes he said outrageous stuff and I think he got the intended response.  It's what the masses like to read.    

• Like 1

Fulmer's year of discovery hasn't gone well(via the Athletic)Screen-Shot-2020-08-27-at-9.45.13-PM.png

Even when he was throwing 98 he didn't have the type of spin to get whiffs on his fb, now that he is down 4-5 mph its like tee ball for the hitters.

Are we talking about the guy who has pitched 14 innings, post-surgery, without the benefit of any spring training or rehab starts?

I’ll judge him more severely when he gets to 18 innings pitched.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Are we talking about the guy who has pitched 14 innings, post-surgery, without the benefit of any spring training or rehab starts?

I’ll judge him more severely when he gets to 18 innings pitched.

Right. Bringing him straight back was always a long shot, but Randy is also right, Fulmer had unsolved repertoire issues before any of the injuries hit.

I wonder what happened to his change up? His rookie year it was one of the best in the game,  infact I remember  Law rating it in the top 5 in his annual "tools" rankings. But after that rookie year it just vanished. 

36 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I wonder what happened to his change up? His rookie year it was one of the best in the game,  infact I remember  Law rating it in the top 5 in his annual "tools" rankings. But after that rookie year it just vanished. 

According to fangraphs he never completely abandoned it but he used it progressively less as time went on (which tallies with my memories). I think there was a point a couple years before he left Det when he decided he was tipping it and stopped using it almost completely. Then the last two years in Hou he has used one a little bit again, but still not much. But what can be confusing with JV is that one the things that has made him so good is that he has alway thrown his FB across a wider range of speeds and spins than most pitchers and sometimes on the Brooks break charts it wasn't even easy to tell where FBs ended and what (if anything) was clearly a change began.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

According to his charts he never completely abandoned it but he used it progressively less as time went on. I think there was a point a couple years before he left Det when he decided he was tipping it and pretty much completely stopped using it. Then the last two years in Hou he has used one a little bit again, but still not much. But what can be confusing with JV is that one the things that has made him so good is that he has alway thrown his FB across a wider range of speeds and spins than most pitchers and sometimes on the Brooks break charts it wasn't always easy to tell where FBs ended and what (if anything) was clearly a change began.

My bad I meant Fulmer.  But I guess it does apply to JV too. Lol

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

My bad I meant Fulmer.  But I guess it does apply to JV too. Lol

Oh definitely Fulmer,  he tends to become a two pitch-pitcher. It's funny - the old Tiger coaching regime didn't like guys learning to throw a lot of different pitchers - they encouraged them not to try to throw more than three. Gardy and Anderson seem to be more encouraging to pitchers who want to learn 4 pitches, yet we now have Boyd and Fulmer regressing toward using only two pitches too much.

Six-man rotation: When Nova comes back, he will return with a rotation that already consists of five pitchers: Mize, Skubal, Matthew Boyd, Spencer Turnbull and Michael Fulmer. Avila said a six-man rotation has not been discussed, "but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen." The team is contemplating three options: putting Nova in the bullpen, adding him back to the starting rotation or making a different move.

Furloughs and cuts to departments: The Chicago CubsNew York Yankees and Seattle Mariners are three teams that have made cuts to their scouting and player development departments. As of now, Avila said that won't happen with the Tigers: "Because we didn't let anybody go, because we didn't furlough, we're a better organization today." He thanked team owner Christopher Ilitch.

Avila on Daz Cameron: "Well, he needs more at-bats (because he missed summer camp with an undisclosed injury). Obviously, he's a great athlete. We like him a lot. He missed a lot of time this season, unfortunately. But he's healthy now. He's playing in (intrasquad) games. His rehab process, per se, is coming to an end now, probably by the end of this week, if not this weekend. He'll come off the injured list. He's already in games and getting at-bats. He needs more at-bats, basically. That's the bottom line. We'll get him as many at-bats as we possibly can in Toledo at the alternate training site for the remainder of this year.

Avila on Jake Rogers: "Jake is doing what everybody else down there is doing. He's working very hard. Unfortunately, we don't have Triple-A games for him to play in at this point. And I'm not sure if we're going to bring him up this year, depending on if we're going to be able to expand rosters or we're going to leave them at 28, the way it is right now. If it remains the way it is right now, then it'll be tough, unless there's an injury."

Maybe I’ve been overrating Mize. I was impressed with his stuff but Sixto’s is in a whole other level ahead.  

George Costanza: I have the perfect name. Seven. 
Sixto's parents: Hold my beer.

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Lezcano was the original Sixto.  

And a darn good player

12 hours ago, Hongbit said:

His nickname should be Sugar Man.

Have any of you Detroiters ever seen Sixto Rodriguez in the city, or know if he ever performs locally? I've watched that documentary several times and would love to meet him. Very interesting guy

Cubs inquiring about Maybin. I'm thinking he'd bring nothing of value. But if Theo would part with a prospect who has a chance - maybe a young international prospect, I'd do it. But if it's truly no value, keep him. Det still has an outside chance at the playoffs this year

Why keep him? If they send me international bonus money I'm taking it.