Gehringer_2

2020 Tiger Non-Game Thread Thead

Since a "Regular Season" thread is already running with a specific subject, here is general topic thread for this season.

I'll start with the pickup of Carson Fulmer. This could be DD move from the old days: Top college guy with a big arm and lot of walks. And, Oh, by the way, top tier spin on his fastball.

Seems quite the turnaround from a team that was generally clueless about player development to an organization that now has the confidence to think it can fix a guy that Don Cooper has not been able to straighten out. 

Came across the 1985 All Star game on YouTube.  The entire AL starting lineup are now Hall of Famers, except for Lou:

Rickey Henderson

Lou Whitaker

George Brett

Eddie Murray

Cal Ripken

Dave Winfield

Jim Rice

Carlton Fisk

Jack Morris

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Since a "Regular Season" thread is already running with a specific subject, here is general topic thread for this season.

I'll start with the pickup of Carson Fulmer. This could be DD move from the old days: Top college guy with a big arm and lot of walks. And, Oh, by the way, top tier spin on his fastball.

Seems quite the turnaround from a team that was generally clueless about player development to an organization that now has the confidence to think it can fix a guy that Don Cooper has not been able to straighten out. 

Tigers are now collecting 2015 first rounders:

C. Fulmer (8)

B. Burrows (22)

C. Stewart (34)

K. Funkhouser (35)

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, why not?  His minor league numbers aren't the most inspiring, but, maybe its a tweak like a different arm slot or maybe he just needs a fresh start elsewhere.  And if it turns out the Tigers can't get anything out of it, hey, nothing lost anyway.

It's about time somebody still a thead like this.

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I will say this for the Avila regime: they seem to have cobbled together a stronger bullpen, at least on potential, than anything Dombrowski concocted.

36 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It's about time somebody still a thead like this.

Engrish, pwease?

McCosky wrote some background on  Carson Fulmer today. Story is he started throwing a cutter and lost his FB. Sounds like the Tigers are looking for  him to ditch being a low ball pitcher and recover his FB velo.

Multiple Marlins Players Reportedly Test Positive For COVID-19

By Anthony Franco | July 26, 2020 at 12:30pm CDT

12:30pm: First baseman Garrett Cooper and outfielder Harold Ramirez are also among the Marlins who have tested positive, according to Robert Murray and Jon Heyman of MLB Network. And since these results were discovered on the road, the Marlins find themselves in an unfortunate position; Cooper and the other players will have to quarantine in their Philadelphia hotel for about two weeks and, for the time being, are unable to travel back to Miami with the rest of their team. From a purely baseball perspective, the news represents a considerable blow to the Marlins’ depth: Between Alfaro, Cooper, and Ramirez, they’re losing three regulars, not to mention a key piece of the rotation in Ureña.

11:32 am: “Multiple” Miami players are dealing with COVID-19 issues, tweets Craig Mish of Sportsgrid. Heyman hears the same, tweeting that two of the club’s starting position players have also tested positive for the coronavirus. Catcher Jorge Alfaro was placed on the injured list for an undisclosed reason Friday, although it remains unclear if he is among those who have tested positive.

11:08 am: Marlins right-hander José Ureña was scratched from today’s scheduled start, as noted by various reporters (including Jordan McPherson of the Miami Herald). Ureña tested positive for COIVD-19, tweets Jon Heyman of the MLB Network. Fortunately, Ureña “feels fine,” Heyman adds, but this is simply the latest reminder of the threat the coronavirus continues to pose to players and teams leaguewide.

Even if Ureña remains asymptomatic, he’ll need to twice test negative at least 24 hours apart before he’s permitted to return to the club. Miami has not yet made any roster moves related to the situation, tweets Joe Frisaro of MLB.com. With there being no minimum length for stints on the COVID-19 injured list, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Miami decide to place Ureña on the IL, even if they believe he’ll be ready to return in short order.

Ureña is ticketed for a return to the Miami rotation after splitting last year between the starting staff and the bullpen. Right-hander Robert Dugger, who started seven games for Miami down the stretch last season, will take the ball in Ureña’s stead this afternoon against the Phillies.

Yikes!

8 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Verlander blew out his elbow.

Bang the trash can slowly in his honor.

The obligatory Verlander question—if he doesn’t come back from this injury, has he done enough for the Hall? 

1 minute ago, Tenacious D said:

The obligatory Verlander question—if he doesn’t come back from this injury, has he done enough for the Hall? 

Yes.

Mike Trout just homered on a 3-0 pitch.  So what's the big deal?  It is the first time in his career he has homered on a 3-0 count and first time he has even swung on one since 2016.   

20 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Oh yes definitely

Now they're saying its a forearm strain and will be re-evaluated in a couple weeks but I think more often than not that forearm strain ends up being a UCL injury so we'll have to wait and see.  Hopefully for Verlander's sake it isn't that.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Mike Trout just homered on a 3-0 pitch.  So what's the big deal?  It is the first time in his career he has homered on a 3-0 count and first time he has even swung on one since 2016.   

Wasn't Mauer another guy that just wouldn't swing 3-0?

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Wasn't Mauer another guy that just wouldn't swing 3-0?

Yep, I think he actually went longer than Trout did at one point.  Can't argue with 2 world class hitters like them but it seems like you should atleast swing 3-0 every once in awhile.  

Nelson Cruz is unbelievable.  40 years old and still raking.  

The only thing blown out at this point is the credibility of a number of Astro beat writers. 

5 minutes ago, Hart said:

Nelson Cruz is unbelievable.  40 years old and still raking.  

I saw a stat that he led the MLB in homers in the decade of 10-19 and so far through 3 games he is leading the league in homers this decade.  As unbelievable and ageless as he is something tells me that stat isn't going to hold up the rest of the decade, but who knows maybe he'll still be raking when he's 50!

Entirely dumb and random story. The first couple games I had to have on in the background, and I only got to see part of a scrimmage game. I kept getting confused and couldn't figure out why I kept mixing up "Shoop" and this "Scope" guy Shep and Morris kept mentioning. Today I figure out why. 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Easily. They should start working on a statue for him right now.