Sign in to follow this  
Tigers35456884

The Case for Restoring the Proper Tiger Home Uniform

2 hours ago, Tigermania said:

I want to start a petition that Jeimer Candelario not be allowed to wear any version of the Detroit Tigers uniform ever again.

I have a completely irrational want for him to be good. I watch him fail time and again, and time and again I express optimism for his future. 

On 7/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, Los Gatos said:

I like the sharper D, especially on the navy ST/BP jersey, which I'd like to see be used as an alternate home jersey during the regular season. 

253827198_imcomingelizabeth.gif.9d09b884178fadfd011b6589e1942178.gif

• Haha 1

On 7/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, Tigers35456884 said:

Tiger fans,

I am petitioning the team to restore the team's proper home uniform here: https://www.change.org/RestoreTigersOldEnglishD

Here's why:

From 1934 until 2017, the home uniform of the Detroit Tigers, among the most iconic in all of professional sports, consisted of a rounded Old English D on the left breast, and a slightly more angular Old English D on the cap. This uniform, with its two distinct Old English D's, is the definitive look of the Detroit Tigers, having been worn for 83 of the team's 119 seasons. The rounded English D connects Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer, and the 1935 and '45 Tigers, the franchise's first two champions, to Al Kaline, whose legend was firmly entrenched by the time of the dominant 1968 team, where Denny McLain won 31 games wearing the rounded D. Its history extends to the 1984 Tigers, the franchise's last World Series winner, and finally connects us to the most recent era of Tigers baseball, where the team won American League pennants in 2006 and 2012, and Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera took home American League MVP honors between 2011-13 donning the rounded English D on their chests and the angular D on their caps.

image.png.9fefe7f1996a1f02d72a829f8e266f47.png

(1940 pitching staff sporting the round-top D on their jerseys and the angular D on their caps)

At the beginning of the 2018 season, the Detroit Tigers decided to standardize the Old English D, placing the cap D, which has only existed in its current form since 1968, on the jersey, removing the rounded jersey D that has persisted for 83 years. Apart from breaking the connective tissue that has held together every great era of Detroit Tigers baseball, the change is a big aesthetic downgrade. The thin, angular profile of the cap D, which works so well on a cap, doesn't translate nearly as well to a jersey, where its slight proportions get lost amidst the white background of the uniform.

In justifying this decision, the Detroit Tigers have misrepresented the team's proud history. They claim that the Old English D has experienced many tweaks and upgrades over the years, and that this change is just one among many. This is patently false. While it is true that the logo has changed, the great majority of this change occurred between 1901 and 1934, in the team's early days. After which time, the jersey remained consistent until 2017.

image.png.0ff92054876d00598a18ce738ba20c4b.png

(Members of the 1968 team with the round-top D on their chest and angular D on their caps)

Moreover, the Detroit Tigers and Major League Baseball have cited the need for one unified logo as the reason behind this change. But there is no reason why a team as rich in history as the Detroit Tigers cannot equally embrace the two different yet historically valuable logos. The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago Cubs all have slightly different logos for jerseys, caps, and batting helmets, and accordingly, they assign one logo as the primary and make the others alternate logos. If the Tigers were so intent upon streamlining their branding, why not take this approach?

image.png.23d6c0314b7e0234fa4db8dbcc97e1ce.png

(Tram modeling the two English D's)

Only a couple of years ago, back in 2014, the Tigers publicly voiced their support for this exact proposal. The team's vice president of communications told ESPN that "the two versions are part of our heritage, and they both symbolize our historic uniforms, so we plan to keep both of them," and that "both have equal value."

More fundamentally, why change at all? The Detroit Tigers wearing the rounded Old English D on their jersey and the angular D on their caps is a proud reminder of baseball's tradition of idiosyncrasy. Baseball stadiums across the two leagues embrace quirky throwback features like irregularly shaped outfield walls and retro brick facades, homages to the sport's humble beginnings.

image.png.3be10b8445281c41fce7cb3e3970ae1f.png

(Jordan Zimmermann giving up runs in the new home jersey)

I am asking Detroit Tigers fans to let the organization know that we want the team to restore the classic and rightful home jersey of the Detroit Tigers. Tigers fans protested when the team removed the Old English D in 1960, and it was back for 1961. We protested when the team enlarged the proportions of the cap D in 2018, and the following season, the team responded by bringing back the classic cap. If we display our desire for the restoration of the Old English D, as so many Tigers fans have been clamoring for on social media, perhaps we will succeed as we have in the past.

Go Tigers!

For further reading on the history of the Old English D, I strongly recommend taking a look at Cliff Corcoran's piece in The Hardball Times, which was of great assistance while assembling this petition:

https://tht.fangraphs.com/old-english-d-a-look-back-at-tigers-uniforms/

For the full ESPN story from 2014, click here:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10927272/uni-watch-mismatched-mlb-logos

I am hugely in favor of bringing back the bold,  rounded, three-vertical-bar D on the home jersey.  The other D looks fine on the cap, but is skinny and wimpy-looking  on the jersey, and I have hated it on the jersey since they made the change. 

8 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I am hugely in favor of bringing back the bold,  rounded, three-vertical-bar D on the home jersey.  The other D looks fine on the cap, but is skinny and wimpy-looking  on the jersey, and I have hated it on the jersey since they made the change. 

Couldn't agree more. Some things you just shouldn't mess with, and this was one of them. Win or lose, I want my Tigers to look like they have the past 8 decades. The whole notion of two logos being two too many is patently ridiculous IMO. It's not as if the Tigers were the Twins, who have something like four different jersey wordmarks, two primary logos and seven jerseys.

I never noticed but now that you hosers imprinted it on my brain I want it changed back. Why are so many cats dumber than a bag of rocks?

2 hours ago, Tigers35456884 said:

Couldn't agree more. Some things you just shouldn't mess with, and this was one of them. Win or lose, I want my Tigers to look like they have the past 8 decades. The whole notion of two logos being two too many is patently ridiculous IMO. It's not as if the Tigers were the Twins, who have something like four different jersey wordmarks, two primary logos and seven jerseys.

And while we're at it, let's go back to the predominantly black or navy blue shoes that were once the Tiger rule,  and ban the white ones forever  The white shoes look bad with the home uniform (or much worse than bad if they're the clown version Matthew Boyd is wearing tonight), and they are just godawful with the road grays. 

I wonder if in the 1910s and 1920s the Tigers wore garish bright orange socks but none of us know it because no color footage exists and because all the people who were around back then are now dead.

There is a 110 year old fella from Saginaw who told me their socks were more of a burnt sienna hue. He talks a lot about Mae West and something about being out of pennies both times that he met her. He also says Henry Ford was a major dick

9 hours ago, leflore said:

There is a 110 year old fella from Saginaw who told me their socks were more of a burnt sienna hue. He talks a lot about Mae West and something about being out of pennies both times that he met her. He also says Henry Ford was a major dick

I would have guessed magenta or raw umber.

By the way, I don't know if the Tigers are still alone in this , but at least for a long time they were the only team in the four major professional sports with a trim color on one uniform (the orange in the road gray and the road cap) that does not appear on the other.   

19 hours ago, leflore said:

I never noticed but now that you hosers imprinted it on my brain I want it changed back. Why are so many cats dumber than a bag of rocks?

Hello VMware | TheSaffaGeek

It's like FedEx and the Hartford Whalers' logos. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. 

59 minutes ago, Tigers35456884 said:

Hello VMware | TheSaffaGeek

It's like FedEx and the Hartford Whalers' logos. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. 

JORDAN! Your dad's coming. Something about an American Express bill. 

On 7/29/2020 at 2:45 PM, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Much ado about nothing, IMO

That's what we do here.  

I agree, the newer home jerseys with the two vertical bars instead of three appears cheaper to me.

They are probably saving $5/uniform, and that's likely the base truth driving the whole thing.  It suxx, but considering the product they are putting on the field, it seems appropriate.

The Nike emblem pretty much detracts from the uniform regardless. The Nike logo makes the unis look cheap.  

Are teams buying these uniforms from Nike or is Nike providing them as part of the deal? 

3 hours ago, 1776 said:

The Nike emblem pretty much detracts from the uniform regardless. The Nike logo makes the unis look cheap.  

Are teams buying these uniforms from Nike or is Nike providing them as part of the deal? 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonystitt/2019/12/19/for-a-cool-3-billion-mlb-adds-nike-swoosh-to-uniforms/#71a8d73438c2