Sign in to follow this  
Tigers35456884

The Case for Restoring the Proper Tiger Home Uniform

Tiger fans,

I am petitioning the team to restore the team's proper home uniform here: https://www.change.org/RestoreTigersOldEnglishD

Here's why:

From 1934 until 2017, the home uniform of the Detroit Tigers, among the most iconic in all of professional sports, consisted of a rounded Old English D on the left breast, and a slightly more angular Old English D on the cap. This uniform, with its two distinct Old English D's, is the definitive look of the Detroit Tigers, having been worn for 83 of the team's 119 seasons. The rounded English D connects Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer, and the 1935 and '45 Tigers, the franchise's first two champions, to Al Kaline, whose legend was firmly entrenched by the time of the dominant 1968 team, where Denny McLain won 31 games wearing the rounded D. Its history extends to the 1984 Tigers, the franchise's last World Series winner, and finally connects us to the most recent era of Tigers baseball, where the team won American League pennants in 2006 and 2012, and Justin Verlander and Miguel Cabrera took home American League MVP honors between 2011-13 donning the rounded English D on their chests and the angular D on their caps.

image.png.9fefe7f1996a1f02d72a829f8e266f47.png

(1940 pitching staff sporting the round-top D on their jerseys and the angular D on their caps)

At the beginning of the 2018 season, the Detroit Tigers decided to standardize the Old English D, placing the cap D, which has only existed in its current form since 1968, on the jersey, removing the rounded jersey D that has persisted for 83 years. Apart from breaking the connective tissue that has held together every great era of Detroit Tigers baseball, the change is a big aesthetic downgrade. The thin, angular profile of the cap D, which works so well on a cap, doesn't translate nearly as well to a jersey, where its slight proportions get lost amidst the white background of the uniform.

In justifying this decision, the Detroit Tigers have misrepresented the team's proud history. They claim that the Old English D has experienced many tweaks and upgrades over the years, and that this change is just one among many. This is patently false. While it is true that the logo has changed, the great majority of this change occurred between 1901 and 1934, in the team's early days. After which time, the jersey remained consistent until 2017.

image.png.0ff92054876d00598a18ce738ba20c4b.png

(Members of the 1968 team with the round-top D on their chest and angular D on their caps)

Moreover, the Detroit Tigers and Major League Baseball have cited the need for one unified logo as the reason behind this change. But there is no reason why a team as rich in history as the Detroit Tigers cannot equally embrace the two different yet historically valuable logos. The New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Chicago Cubs all have slightly different logos for jerseys, caps, and batting helmets, and accordingly, they assign one logo as the primary and make the others alternate logos. If the Tigers were so intent upon streamlining their branding, why not take this approach?

image.png.23d6c0314b7e0234fa4db8dbcc97e1ce.png

(Tram modeling the two English D's)

Only a couple of years ago, back in 2014, the Tigers publicly voiced their support for this exact proposal. The team's vice president of communications told ESPN that "the two versions are part of our heritage, and they both symbolize our historic uniforms, so we plan to keep both of them," and that "both have equal value."

More fundamentally, why change at all? The Detroit Tigers wearing the rounded Old English D on their jersey and the angular D on their caps is a proud reminder of baseball's tradition of idiosyncrasy. Baseball stadiums across the two leagues embrace quirky throwback features like irregularly shaped outfield walls and retro brick facades, homages to the sport's humble beginnings.

image.png.3be10b8445281c41fce7cb3e3970ae1f.png

(Jordan Zimmermann giving up runs in the new home jersey)

I am asking Detroit Tigers fans to let the organization know that we want the team to restore the classic and rightful home jersey of the Detroit Tigers. Tigers fans protested when the team removed the Old English D in 1960, and it was back for 1961. We protested when the team enlarged the proportions of the cap D in 2018, and the following season, the team responded by bringing back the classic cap. If we display our desire for the restoration of the Old English D, as so many Tigers fans have been clamoring for on social media, perhaps we will succeed as we have in the past.

Go Tigers!

For further reading on the history of the Old English D, I strongly recommend taking a look at Cliff Corcoran's piece in The Hardball Times, which was of great assistance while assembling this petition:

https://tht.fangraphs.com/old-english-d-a-look-back-at-tigers-uniforms/

For the full ESPN story from 2014, click here:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/10927272/uni-watch-mismatched-mlb-logos

• Thanks 1

I am petitioning for a leap to an alternate reality where I am younger, thinner and where there is no Oxford comma and the Tigers don’t suck. 

Alternate Reality Fund Donations Accepted Here

15 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I am petitioning for a leap to an alternate reality where I am younger, thinner and where there is no Oxford comma and the Tigers don’t suck. 

I’d love to help any way I can, but I think it’s a bit easier to bring back the old home uniform than fire Al Avila and manipulate time. 

32 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

3/11/2022

Pack some bloomers, water, saltines and cheez wiz. Leave the green hornet mask at home. Be ready....

Was the home jersey really exactly the same from 1934 to 2017? Maybe my imagination, but seems to me that some years it was a slightly different size or slightly higher or lower on the jersey.

Doesn't this D in 1956  seem unusually large and centred?

ty-cobb-harvey-kuenn-al-kaline-1956.jpg

2 hours ago, Tigers35456884 said:

I’d love to help any way I can, but I think it’s a bit easier to bring back the old home uniform than fire Al Avila and manipulate time. 

Quitter! 🙂

2 hours ago, Tigers35456884 said:

Not quite. In 2019 they reduced the size of the cap logo, but didn’t bring back the old jersey logo. 

I thought the cap looked stupid and for the same reason everyone else did. It looked like a cheap knockoff you’d give to kids in a T-ball league. I’ve been a Tiger fan for 60 years, but the D on the uniform doesn’t bother me. I’ve always liked the gray road jerseys more than the home jerseys anyway for some reason. I think the 1960s road jerseys with the simple block lettering of DETROIT are stratospherically cool. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Was the home jersey really exactly the same from 1934 to 2017? Maybe my imagination, but seems to me that some years it was a slightly different size or slightly higher or lower on the jersey.

Doesn't this D in 1956  seem unusually large and centred?

ty-cobb-harvey-kuenn-al-kaline-1956.jpg

From ‘34 to ‘17, you had plenty of manufacturer changes (McGregor Sand Knit in the 70s and 80s followed by Russell Athletic in the 90s and 2000s, and finally Majestic), which resulted in a slightly variations in size and placement, but during that time the logo was always the round top D. In their PR material used to justify the change, the Tigers claim the jersey logo has changed many times over the years, but that’s really only true between 1901 and 1934, after which time you had the ‘consistent inconsistency’ of the round top D on the jersey and the pointy D on the cap (the current cap logo has been used since 1968).

image.jpeg.6e8081eed70270432def19adbd2a9cc2.jpeg

image.png

image.thumb.jpeg.3cf696f9a902a8e66ff9cdfae993293e.jpeg

Take a look at these three fellas. Due to manufacturer differences in the intervening decades, the cut, material, and size of the logos aren’t identical. But the round top D stays pretty damn consistent.

image.thumb.jpeg.b3194abb3a7407a3aad0176b5c93c947.jpeg

The new one. On an already minimalist uniform, changing the chest logo turns out to be a pretty big deal. Something’s off about it. Just not the same Tigers uniform. It’s too dainty and slight to hold up to the blank white canvas IMO. 

It's not a big deal to me, in fact I always liked the look of the more angular D(That's what she said?) anyway and I always thought the logo on the hat should match the jersey.   I get the whole history and tradition thing but to me I don't really care much about that.   But to each their own.  

I like the sharper D, especially on the navy ST/BP jersey, which I'd like to see be used as an alternate home jersey during the regular season.  The Nike logo placement is a more material change than the D, in my opinion, though I feel it helps balance/fill the blank canvas somewhat.

a.jpg

b.jpg

I fully support the idea behind this... I am not a fan of the new D on the jersey.  Every time I see it I cringe.  part of that could be due to the horrible teams we've had in the last few years but overall it just seems to be a solution in search of a problem.  There was no need to do this.  If they wanted to sell jerseys they could have introduced it as an alternate jersey to wear on certain day games like other teams do...  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tigers35456884 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3cf696f9a902a8e66ff9cdfae993293e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b3194abb3a7407a3aad0176b5c93c947.jpeg

Although I prefer the rounded D on Cabrera's jersey, I can go with either version as long as it matches the hat.

I kind of wonder how people would feel about a road jersey mimicking the home jersey, with the only difference being road grays instead of home whites.

47 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

I like the sharper D, especially on the navy ST/BP jersey, which I'd like to see be used as an alternate home jersey during the regular season.  The Nike logo placement is a more material change than the D, in my opinion, though I feel it helps balance/fill the blank canvas somewhat.

I know the idea of an alternate home jersey has its supporters, and I definitely agree that the sharper D works well against a navy background, but I've always felt that the home jersey was sacred. The tuxedo of baseball, as Ernie Harwell often said. The consistent inconsistency of the two D's, like it or not, was the longest-tenured look in franchise history.

27 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Although I prefer the rounded D on Cabrera's jersey, I can go with either version as long as it matches the hat.

I kind of wonder how people would feel about a road jersey mimicking the home jersey, with the only difference being road grays instead of home whites.

Interesting idea. I'd certainly be behind it if the Tigers were to reinstate the rounded D. I've always seen the road jersey as a canvas for experimentation, as the variations over the years typically mimic the prevalent trends of the day. I know plenty of fans, myself included, would love an alternate road jersey or two. 

14 minutes ago, Tigers35456884 said:

I know the idea of an alternate home jersey has its supporters, and I definitely agree that the sharper D works well against a navy background, but I've always felt that the home jersey was sacred. The tuxedo of baseball, as Ernie Harwell often said. The consistent inconsistency of the two D's, like it or not, was the longest-tenured look in franchise history.

Interesting idea. I'd certainly be behind it if the Tigers were to reinstate the rounded D. I've always seen the road jersey as a canvas for experimentation, as the variations over the years typically mimic the prevalent trends of the day. I know plenty of fans, myself included, would love an alternate road jersey or two. 

I am not in favor of an alternate home jersey.  The Stars and la Tigres jerseys are fine one offs.  But no blue or orange home tops.  Ice cream white only.

Question that has long been on my mind?

What good does signing a petition do aside from getting you a bunch of junk mail?

10 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

What good does signing a petition do aside from getting you a bunch of junk mail?

As far as I’m aware, it’s the best format for those who agree with the proposal to show their support to the organization. Certainly beats emailing the Tigers or DMing them on twitter. If you’re got a better way, I’m all ears. 

With change.org, you’re always free to unsubscribe from their emails after signing. 

2 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I currently get 8,000 emails a month. One more isn't gonna do much

Pretty sure I signed this petition a month or so back. The new D doesn’t really bother me though because it is identical to the hat. 

I agree with Bert’s take on the road unis from the sixties. I wish the Tigers would go back to those while wearing the white letter D on the hat as well like the sixties. That was a really good clean look. Bring it back.

6 hours ago, Casimir said:

Like the Yankees. I think that might be an interesting look. Not a Yankees fan but I like how they’ve stayed pretty consistent with their unis. 
I don’t really like the current Tiger road unis. 

Without looking it up, I think all standard road jerseys have the full city named.  I think the current Tigers road jersey but with all navy script Detroit and number, and no piping would look nice, maybe on a slightly darker gray.  And add this guy on a sleeve patch:

z.JPG

I hadn't noticed the diff. Guess I ain't that observant. But I am tall.

On 7/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, Los Gatos said:

Without looking it up, I think all standard road jerseys have the full city named.  I think the current Tigers road jersey but with all navy script Detroit and number, and no piping would look nice, maybe on a slightly darker gray.  And add this guy on a sleeve patch:

z.JPG

Perhaps something like this?

You Must See I Almost Cried When Miguel Cabrera Did This To Mike Trout |  Detroit tigers baseball, Miguel cabrera, Detroit tigers

I want to start a petition that Jeimer Candelario not be allowed to wear any version of the Detroit Tigers uniform ever again.