MotownWebGuy

Detroit Tigers: Fulmer and Alexander to split fifth spot in rotation?

https://www.motownsports.com/detroit-tigers-fulmer-alexander-starting-rotation/

New Tigers blog posted today from Bob Heyrman...  Bob looks at the possibility of the Tigers using Fulmer and Alexander as a combo in the 5th spot of the rotation.  With Norris out for who knows how long, interesting opportunities may exist for Fulmer and other young players to get work in.

13 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

https://www.motownsports.com/detroit-tigers-fulmer-alexander-starting-rotation/

New Tigers blog posted today from Bob Heyrman...  Bob looks at the possibility of the Tigers using Fulmer and Alexander as a combo in the 5th spot of the rotation.  With Norris out for who knows how long, interesting opportunities may exist for Fulmer and other young players to get work in.

I like the idea of watching Fulmer's pitch counts this season and next.  Let him use this "season" to just get back into actual on field competition and next season to rebuild stamina.  I'm glad to see him throwing again, and he clearly worked on conditioning and transformed himself a bit.

I could see it.

Was just daydreaming..........

Boyd, Norris, Turnbull, Fulmer, Mize, Manning, Skubal, Faedo, Perez, Wentz - a solid to very strong rotation should emerge from this pool of talent.

Greene, Tork, Paredes

Castro, Cameron, 2021 #1 pick

Cabrera, Rogers, Dingler.....

Some average to star potential

Add FA?

2021 push for .500

Wenceel, Meadows, Cruz

FA or 2?

2022 push for contention

I know a lot has to go right, there will be injuries and development is key. 

But the light at the end of the tunnel is starting to show itself. But what's with the dead coyote on the track?

3 hours ago, Casimir said:

I like the idea of watching Fulmer's pitch counts this season and next.  Let him use this "season" to just get back into actual on field competition and next season to rebuild stamina.  I'm glad to see him throwing again, and he clearly worked on conditioning and transformed himself a bit.

I think the odds of Fulmer making the rotation are not that good. Well, let me revise that - the odd of him staying in any rotation are not that good. This is a pitcher that had largely lost the ability to get guys out before he developed major physical issues in both his lower and upper body who is coming back to the game with a whole new body and delivery. My guess is that he is probably at least a hundred innings of competitive work away from being able to get guys out consistently in the MLB  again - with no guarantee he will get back there  at all. 

I hope he proves me wrong of course but Fulmer is not high on my list of Tigers pitching assets anymore. OTOH, we I suppose we don't really know if the Tiger's care about being competitive in this 'season'.

18 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think the odds of Fulmer making the rotation are not that good. Well, let me revise that - the odd of him staying in any rotation are not that good. This is a pitcher that had largely lost the ability to get guys out before he developed major physical issues in both his lower and upper body who is coming back to the game with a whole new body and delivery. My guess is that he is probably at least a hundred innings of competitive work away from being able to get guys out consistently in the MLB  again - with no guarantee he will get back there there at all. 

I hope he proves me wrong of course but Fulmer is not high on my list of Tigers pitching assets anymore.

I agree.  One of Avila's major blunders was not trading Fulmer when he had the chance.  Granted we don't know if some of those offers were legit or not but even if some of them were exaggerated he still had a major market at one point and could've brought a good haul.

This may seem like 20/20 hindsight but there were question marks about him even when he was performing well, most notably the lack of Ks and his previous injuries.   Also the Tigers basically committed themselves to being several years from contentions at that point so the likelihood that Fulmer was still going to be that frontline pitcher when the Tigers were competitive again was slim and even if he was he'd be up for an expensive long term contract that you may be hesitant giving out to a pitcher.    Basically it just seems incredibly risky to keep a young pitcher with an injury history when you are committed to a long rebuild.  

With that said he is still young enough and has a couple more years of control so he could prove us wrong and indeed be an asset on a competitive Tigers team but it's not something I'm counting on.

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I agree.  One of Avila's major blunders was not trading Fulmer when he had the chance.  Granted we don't know if some of those offers were legit or not but even if some of them were exaggerated he still had a major market at one point and could've brought a good haul.

This may seem like 20/20 hindsight but there were question marks about him even when he was performing well, most notably the lack of Ks and his previous injuries.   Also the Tigers basically committed themselves to being several years from contentions at that point so the likelihood that Fulmer was still going to be that frontline pitcher when the Tigers were competitive again was slim and even if he was he'd be up for an expensive long term contract that you may be hesitant giving out to a pitcher.    Basically it just seems incredibly risky to keep a young pitcher with an injury history when you are committed to a long rebuild.  

With that said he is still young enough and has a couple more years of control so he could prove us wrong and indeed be an asset on a competitive Tigers team but it's not something I'm counting on.

You admit that you don’t know what offers were legit. I don’t think you can call it a major blunder without knowing that. 

Fulmer was one of the few reasons that the Tigers went into the final weekend of the 2015 season in contention for the playoffs. And prior to a late June swoon in 2016 the tigers appeared well poised for a playoff run, with a team that still included JV, JD, Upton, Kinsler, Castellanos, and a version of Cabrera and Victor that could actually still hit. Zimmermann has yet to turn into a pumpkin. 

The fact that they were then able to miraculously finish with the worst record is something that should be celebrated more, IMO. 

But I refuse to accept that it was a major blunder to hold on to Fulmer in the mid-summer of 2016. 

And just to be clear, I do wish they had traded him then for a good return, because we have the benefit of hindsight knowing how that season turned out and his recent TJ surgery. 

I agree that we don't know what Fulmer is going forward.  But this season being what it is and next season being back to normal (hopefully), they'll have some time to see if he can pitch.  I think using him as an "opener" this season to begin that process is a wise idea.

Well, I thought maybe they use Norris & Fulmer on the same day.   Keep Norris to 3-4 innings and use Fulmer for 3 innings and just pitch them every fifth day, until one of them shows they can break out. 

But I am not so sure Jordan Zimmermann takes up a slot in the rotation this year, or even makes the team.  I can see him getting cut by next Friday.    

Boyd-Nova-Norris/Fulmer-Turnbull-Alexander.       If they start out hot, they may take one of the kids off the taxi squad.  

But then again, I don't think we're getting through the season.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, I thought maybe they use Norris & Fulmer on the same day.   Keep Norris to 3-4 innings and use Fulmer for 3 innings and just pitch them every fifth day, until one of them shows they can break out. 

But I am not so sure Jordan Zimmermann takes up a slot in the rotation this year, or even makes the team.  I can see him getting cut by next Friday.    

Boyd-Nova-Norris/Fulmer-Turnbull-Alexander.       If they start out hot, they may take one of the kids off the taxi squad.  

But then again, I don't think we're getting through the season.  

Not about innings, more about number of pitches.

2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Keep Norris to 3-4 innings

When/if Norris comes back and if he is pitching well enough to hold a spot, there won't be any reason to limit his innings/pitches.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

You admit that you don’t know what offers were legit. I don’t think you can call it a major blunder without knowing that. 

Fulmer was one of the few reasons that the Tigers went into the final weekend of the 2015 season in contention for the playoffs. And prior to a late June swoon in 2016 the tigers appeared well poised for a playoff run, with a team that still included JV, JD, Upton, Kinsler, Castellanos, and a version of Cabrera and Victor that could actually still hit. Zimmermann has yet to turn into a pumpkin. 

The fact that they were then able to miraculously finish with the worst record is something that should be celebrated more, IMO. 

But I refuse to accept that it was a major blunder to hold on to Fulmer in the mid-summer of 2016. 

And just to be clear, I do wish they had traded him then for a good return, because we have the benefit of hindsight knowing how that season turned out and his recent TJ surgery. 

I must have my years mixed up, I thought all the trade talk was in the summer of 2017 when the Tigers finally decided to wave the white flag, if it was indeed 2016 I agree that without the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't have traded Fulmer.   Like you said at that point the Tigers were still contenders and Fulmer himself was looking like an ace of the future.  Unfortunately IIRC his peripherals dropped from mid 2016-mid 2017 which made some people more skeptical about him sustaining his production long term.  

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I must have my years mixed up, I thought all the trade talk was in the summer of 2017 when the Tigers finally decided to wave the white flag, if it was indeed 2016 I agree that without the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't have traded Fulmer.   Like you said at that point the Tigers were still contenders and Fulmer himself was looking like an ace of the future.  Unfortunately IIRC his peripherals dropped from mid 2016-mid 2017 which made some people more skeptical about him sustaining his production long term.  

****, I meant 2017 and 2016. It was 2016 that Fulmer debuted. 2015 was the year we were bad from the beginning and dumped price and cespedes and got Fulmer and Boyd.

My overall point remains, though, and we still just have to disagree. At the time of the rumored trades, the tigers were still in contention and had good players. It wasn’t until JD was traded in mid-July that things had turned sour on that season. At that point, the cubs had already traded for Quintana. 

I agree, though, IF there was a good offer on the table for Fulmer at the 2017 deadline, they should have traded him. But we still don’t really know. And it looks a lot worse now that he ended up with TJ.

2 hours ago, Shelton said:

Just to pick a nit you are a year off.  2016 was when they finished in contention and 2017 was the June swoon before the sell off.    But point stands obviously