Sign in to follow this  
RedRamage

The Washington ?????

https://www.nfl.com/news/washington-retires-nickname-logo-new-nickname-tbd

Washington has officially dropped 'Redskins' as their team name as well as the logo.  New name/logo/mascot/whatever to be announced at a later date.

This thread is for discussion about this topic of course, as well as speculation on what they might go for moving forward.  What this thread is NOT for it political debate on whether this was a good or bad move.  I'll be deleting political comments here.

Part of me wonders if the team should reach out to Native Americans and try to find a respectful want to honor the people. 

The pros would be that it would make the transition easier... the new team identity would be similar enough to the old that "old school people" would have less of an issue with it.  It could also make the team appealing to Native Americans in general and increase your fan base perhaps.

That said, the downside is finding something that nearly all Native Americans would find respectful might be very hard to do.  It's a very large and very diverse group of people so it would be a huge challenge.  Additionally, whatever is chosen today might end up being less than kosher 20 or 30 years from now and the team might find themselves in the same boat again.

The press release said nothing about team colors... I tend to think they'll keep the colors as it'll make transition easier.

I thought it was interesting that the press release yesterday included the word “redskins” seven times as well as the logo.

I recall back when the nationals were becoming a thing there was a lot of discussion trying to find a DC related team name and there weren’t a lot of great options.

They could switch the name to “Arrows” and maintain a portion of their logo.  

14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I thought it was interesting that the press release yesterday included the word “redskins” seven times as well as the logo.

I recall back when the nationals were becoming a thing there was a lot of discussion trying to find a DC related team name and there weren’t a lot of great options.

They could switch the name to “Arrows” and maintain a portion of their logo.  

I noticed that too.  I mean, I guess you can't do a press release from the Washington ___________.  But still man... it just looks really weird.

Also, I got nine references when you include the Twitter name and Twitter handle that this was posted from.

As for the new name... I don't think you need to make it related to DC necessarily.  I mean the current nickname isn't DC related.  I think most Pro-sports teams aren't named something related to the city directly.  (That brings up an interesting project though... maybe some time when I'm board I'll look that up.)

11 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Washington First Nation People. The nickname could be FNPs.

Isn't First Nations more a Canadian thing?

AT $20K per filing, that comes to $800,000.   I really, really, really hope that the team just picks something else.  I hate to see this kind of stuff pay off for someone.

Since their o line used to be called The Hogs and there is a section of their fanbase that go by that why not just use that?  Or maybe even Red Hogs?  Yes I have no idea what a red hog is but I don't know what a blue devil is either and that's a nick name.  

Rumors of a story breaking in the next few days that will be more damaging to the team than the name controversy.    

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Since their o line used to be called The Hogs and there is a section of their fanbase that go by that why not just use that?  Or maybe even Red Hogs?  Yes I have no idea what a red hog is but I don't know what a blue devil is either and that's a nick name.  

Well, there is such a thing as a Red River Hog.

1024px-Pinselohrschwein_Potamochoerus_po

That face is distinctive enough that it could be used for a cool logo I think.

19 hours ago, RedRamage said:

AT $20K per filing, that comes to $800,000.   I really, really, really hope that the team just picks something else.  I hate to see this kind of stuff pay off for someone.

That article was wrong. He has spent around $20K total.

15 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

That article was wrong. He has spent around $20K total.

Ah, okay... I thought $20K per filing seemed REALLY high, but I have no knowledge on these things.  Still hope that the Washington team picks a name that he doesn't own.  I hate to see some win by essentially squatting on something like this.

Drew and Mike interviewed this guy today.  He said if Washington took him to court they would easily be able to take the trademarks from him.  He also said he sent Washington an email offering them the trademarks for free.  The team has not responded to him.  

26 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Drew and Mike interviewed this guy today.  He said if Washington took him to court they would easily be able to take the trademarks from him.  He also said he sent Washington an email offering them the trademarks for free.  The team has not responded to him.  

Yeah, he’s been making the rounds over the last few days trying to get the full story out there. Those initial articles that came out immediately after the name change became public were, unsurprisingly, a bit sensational. 

The 20k per trademark application thing was particularly hilarious. 

On 7/14/2020 at 9:10 PM, Hongbit said:
Rumors of a story breaking in the next few days that will be more damaging to the team than the name controversy.    

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/07/16/post-reports-misconduct-allegations-against-dc-nfl-team/112283662/

The Washington Post reported Thursday that 15 female former employees of the city’s NFL franchise said they were sexually harassed during their time with the team.

To their credit the team has apparently parted ways with some of the indicated offenders:

Director of player personnel Alex Santos, assistant Richard Mann II and longtime broadcaster and senior vice president Larry Michael are no longer with the team. Michael announced Wednesday he was retiring after 16 years.

Santos, Mann, Michael and former business executives Dennis Greene and Mitch Gershman were mentioned in the Post story.

The team has also hired a law firm to audit the team and determine what the culture really is.  Now, this may nor may not be a "real" investigation, but it's at least a good start.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

That is like giving someone credit for not ****ting their pants.

Well, kinda... but at least they didn't **** their pants.

I mean, they could have denied that it was a problem... they could have said that the women were over reacting... they could have said that token fall guys x, y, and z where the problem, and their gone now, so everything is a-ok.  But they seem to be acknowledging that there was/is a problem, they that they need to take action now as well as work longer term to root out the issue.

It may be a small thing, but it is a thing.  It's a start.

This, of course, assumes that the law firm's investigation is a real investigation and it will have real consequences rather than just lipstick on a pig.