Keepleyland2

Detroit Tigers Intraquad games thread

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

The starters

Boyd, Turnbull, Nova, Alexander, Fulmer (even on a pitch count)

The Pen (assuming they start with 15 pitchers)

Buck Farmer, Rony Garcia, Bryan Garcia, Joe Jiminez, David McKay, Nick Ramiriez, Gregory Soto, John Schieber, Shao-Ching Chiang, and even Anthony Castro (because we don't have enough Castros on the team).   Add to that the possibility of some other pitchers becoming available before Thursday and I'll take them.    Zimmermann is done. It's over.  Goodbye

And as far as "this will be a bad team".   I sure hope the manager and coaches and players don't have that feeling starting the season.   They added real major league players in the off-season.  Why would you come out of the game automatically throwing away 1 out of every 5 games, which is essentially what you're doing with a guy like him.  He's a disaster.   60 game season - Heck if you start the season 11-9, you're in it.  Why can't the Tigers do that?  They started 10-10 last year and this year's batting lineup is a lot better than last year's.    They were 14-16 at what would be the halfway point this year.   Anything can happen this season.   Do I think they'll be bad?  Yes, but who knows?  I sure wouldn't be giving up before it all starts.  

I like your optimism,  I really do. And I agree that Zimm is done and the Tigers would be better off parting ways. Like you showed, there are plenty of arms to fill in. I would love to see Manning and Mize up here. All the kids are going to make mistakes, get them the needed MLB experience. Enough of these high picks, let's win!

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Yeah it sounds like your coach had it wrong.  In theory at a more advanced level that would fit but when you're talking little league or even high school level players hit way more balls to LF than right and they are hit with way more authority when they are hit that way so you need more speed to cut them off.   Having a strong arm from RF rarely factors in when playing at those levels.  

As I remember it, in Little League, there were more balls hit to right field because kids swings didn't come around quick enough.  We used wooden bats back then though, so that might have been why.  

I'd keep Zimmerman around, but not in any meaningful way.  Plug him in when/where you need him.  Plenty of innings to go around to other guys, especially when Norris is healthy.  I'd rather see Agnaral or the Rule V from NY,  get meaningful innings to see what we have in them.

Zimmerman should have to earn his spot on the team just like anyone else. His contract shouldn't enter into the equation at all. The only reason you would keep him on the team is  for him to pitch well and hope some other team would take on the contract and trade for him. And if he isn't one of the best 13 or whatever pitchers in camp that isn't happening, so it's over.

14 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Avila is excited about the season:

EdJsvmSWAAICA2z?format=jpg&name=large

It's official....this team is a sleeper

8 minutes ago, Stanley70 said:

Zimmerman should have to earn his spot on the team just like anyone else. His contract shouldn't enter into the equation at all. The only reason you would keep him on the team is  for him to pitch well and hope some other team would take on the contract and trade for him. And if he isn't one of the best 13 or whatever pitchers in camp that isn't happening, so it's over.

13?  With a 30-man roster, I suspect they'll take at least 15.  There probably is room for him, allowing the kids to ease in.  Once Mize and co. start to arrive, you can cut him loose (if he's not performing).

2 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

I played a fair amount of RF because I could run and had a pretty good arm.  The slow kid played LF.  Maybe my coach was wrong?

For some historical perspective, Timmy Lupus played right field.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Avila is excited about the season:

EdJsvmSWAAICA2z?format=jpg&name=large

Just out of frame, there's a hot dog vendor heading toward him. That'll wake him up

I love listening to Tram talk about baseball more than I loved watching him manage.

I hope Franklin Perez can find more than a 90-91 MPH fastball.  Scares me.

3 minutes ago, clinker said:

I love listening to Tram talk about baseball more than I loved watching him manage.

I hope Franklin Perez can find more than a 90-91 MPH fastball.  Scares me.

I had kind of written him off, so if he does make it and is good it will be like a bonus now. 

Without looking it up, who is older? Verlander or Cabrera. 

I saw Matt Boyd and his family dining at Griffin Claw in Birmingham tonight, around 6:30, while the team was playing their intrasquad game.  I assume, for social distancing purposes, that the players who aren’t going to play in the game, leave the ballpark?

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

I saw Matt Boyd and his family dining at Griffin Claw in Birmingham tonight, around 6:30, while the team was playing their intrasquad game.  I assume, for social distancing purposes, that the players who aren’t going to play in the game, leave the ballpark?

or the treating it like spring training and once guys get their work in they go golf

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

Went to lakeland once for ST back in 93. Went to a hooters after a game and saw Tony Phillips, Mickey Tettleton and Rob Deer at a table. 

18 hours ago, leflore said:

110 million sunken cost. I could have purchased  40 million toothbrushes and a Trader Joe's burrito with that kinda money

Careful. Imagine buying 40 million toothbrushes and a Trader’s Joe burrito and not having money left over for toothpaste and floss. 

I'm set, been stockpiling for decades. Fwiw I'm also set with pancake mix, but have my concerns about expiration dates

Zimmermann missed his start yesterday due to forearm stiffness and is questionable for opening day. This is a huge setback for the Tigers! Who’s going to step up and replace his one win last year and that stingy 6.91 ERA!  

28 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Zimmermann missed his start yesterday due to forearm stiffness and is questionable for opening day. This is a huge setback for the Tigers! Who’s going to step up and replace his one win last year and that stingy 6.91 ERA!  

Damn!

😱

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Jordan, you're not going to make the team buddy. Do you want to just retire?

Nah, let's give 'em the ol' forearm stiffness routine. 

Cool man. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Jordan, you're not going to make the team buddy. Do you want to just retire?

Nah, let's give 'em the ol' forearm stiffness routine. 

Cool man. 

And there goes the end of the Zimmerman contract....

Avila should be ordered to get a large Z tattoo as a reminder to not offer BIG $'s to declining players.

Placed on the 45-day IL. Hate to see him end his career like this but also not a big surprise.