Keepleyland2

Detroit Tigers Intraquad games thread

Maybe Avila is doing a totally good job? This is the best I've felt of young Tiger players in a long time.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Maybe Avila is doing a totally good job? This is the best I've felt of young Tiger players in a long time.

This could easily be 2008 Lions preseason. 

Or, 2005 when we were about to turn the corner.

5 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Seriously?? WTF??? I just saw a Tiger coach lower his mask to spit. No Spitting!

Vavra probably won't be on the field during games. Will they throw guys out of the dugout for it I wonder?

37 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I wonder how many hitters were hitting .400 at the 60 game mark? Maybe we'll see one (or more) this season?

Since 2000, Chipper Jones in 2008 was the only player to hit over .400 in the first 60 games. Cody Bellinger at .374 is the highest in the last decade. given how many pitching changes there will be this year, I doubt it happens. 

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Christin Stewart with a classic Prince slide into 2nd for a third out.

He's playing like he's being pressed by the younger guys.

Chaing putting his name in the ring for the pitcher's gold glove. Snags the Cabrera line drive - starts the DP against Dixon.

Garcia was just coming back from surgery last season. He may be a very good setup man. Better than Buck.

So, how long before we can call up the kids without burning a year of control? I would love to see some of these young pitchers against weak teams.

2 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So, how long before we can call up the kids without burning a year of control? I would love to see some of these young pitchers against weak teams.

If any come up it will start the clock but won't count a year. There would still be 6 controlled years starting next season, assuming they'd still be up. Although the pending new CBA will likely change all that. And it should include unlimited duncan donuts in the dugout

13 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I think everything pretty much scales. According to Passan, service time is supposed to be equal to

(service days/calendar days in the season) * 186

which would be

gamesPlayed/66 * 186

but that it might still be modified some. In any case, if that is what held it won't be more than a week, maybe 2.

and Riley hits another line drive.

I guess being impatient is normal. I know Tork and Green aren't ready but some of these young pitchers may be. I would rather see a young SP than any more of Zimm. He's a sunken cost, let him go and bring up a young SP.  Are we going to have 8 SP if these guys all stay healthy and here? Or will Boyd be moved for more young position players? I'm glad to see baseball back, for now.

10 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I guess being impatient is normal. I know Tork and Green aren't ready but some of these young pitchers may be. I would rather see a young SP than any more of Zimm. He's a sunken cost, let him go and bring up a young SP.  Are we going to have 8 SP if these guys all stay healthy and here? Or will Boyd be moved for more young position players? I'm glad to see baseball back, for now.

Might as well use Zimmermann up this "season".  They have the extended roster, but they probably still will need as many arms as possible that can give them multiple innings.  I think this is exclusive of bringing up Mize/Manning/Skubal.

110 million sunken cost. I could have purchased  40 million toothbrushes and a Trader Joe's burrito with that kinda money

58 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Might as well use Zimmermann up this "season".  They have the extended roster, but they probably still will need as many arms as possible that can give them multiple innings.  I think this is exclusive of bringing up Mize/Manning/Skubal.

Heck, even if they don't want to start the clock on those guys,  you've got 6 guys ahead of Zimmermann now.   Just cut him loose, eat the money.  Why remind yourself of your worst free agent signing in team history any longer? 

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Heck, even if they don't want to start the clock on those guys,  you've got 6 guys ahead of Zimmermann now.   Just cut him loose, eat the money.  Why remind yourself of your worst free agent signing in team history any longer? 

Probably because (1) guys aren't going to have a whole lot of stamina throughout the season, so extra arms will be necessary and (2) its unknown how many arms might be shelved due to COVID positives.

Hey, I get Zimmermann hasn't worked out and we all want to get rid of the contract.  But the probably need whatever arms they have to throw innings to get through these two months (if it actually occurs).

7 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because there is no benefit in doing so.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because there is no benefit in doing so.

Correct.

18 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Who are the 6 guys ahead of Zimmermann right now?  Are we talking about SPs specificallly, or just Ps in general?

Also, do you recall how many games the Tigers played last season with 13 Ps on the active roster and/or shuttled Ps up and down I-75 just to have enough pitch capacity for a game?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see how the strength of major league ready pitching has changed significantly enough between last season and this season.

And then you can layer on the other concerns with stamina and possible COVID positives.

I know there is a level of uncertainty with Alexander and Fulmer (at least right now), but to me that's better than the certainty of how bad Zimmermann will be.  

If it's just about extra bodies, there are extra bodies better than his.  

• Like 2