STLTiger69 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default September call ups?!?

I was thinking about the September call ups and I was wondering who will get called up and does anyone have any dark horse candidates that might get added to the 40 man roster to be called up in September?

Some names on the Tiger's 40 man rosters include familiar names like;

Andrew Oliver
    Danny Worth
    Will Rhymes
    Ryan Perry (called back to the tigers because of Al-Al's concussion)
    Jacob Turner

And some perhaps familiar names on the 40 man roster but not spoken too often at the major league level;

Cale Iorg
    Ryan Strieby
    Omir Santos
    Clete Thomas
    Lester Oliveros
    Jose Ortega
    Brayan Villarreal
    Adam Wilk

And then some dark horse names I'm wondering if they may be added to the 40 man and called up for September (frankly, most likely not...) Names like;

Argenis Diaz
    Ben Guez
    Bryan Pounds
    Deik Scram

And just to make things more interesting, I never thought I'd say this, apparently Brandon Inge is hitting again at AAA. Inge might be back as well!

PS: Anyone know if Streiby can play outfield? (Now that Wells is gone and Magglio might not be a Tiger next year, the idea of adding another RH outfielder in the Tiger's future seems to be a good idea to me..)

Anybody have any thoughts for September call-ups?!?

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Omir Santos just began his rehab stint in GCL today. I would say he is doubtful.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

The Tigers typically don't like to call up everyone on the 40 man, they'll usually only take 5 or so players that could fill a niche or have experience. They might stretch that a little with the pennant race going, but I wouldn't expect most of those guys to be on the radar.

Strieby, Wilk, Worth, and Rhymes are probably guaranteed. With Strieby having a strong second half he's a good option as a PH bat, especially with the extra defenders coming on. Worth and Wilk are your typical fringe guys that can round out a roster, and Rhymes could fill in for some 2B with Guillen playing so poorly as of late. Perry is going to be on the roster as well.

Ortega and Iorg just aren't good enough to play in the majors. Villarreal and Oliveros might get a call up between the two of them if the Tigers feel like an extra righty would help, but they aren't particularly deserving. Clete Thomas isn't deserving either and is most likely out of the organization at year's end, but he's the only other OF on the 40 man and might get a call up just for that. I wouldn't think Turner or Oliver would be put on the roster unless one of them was spot-starting.

They already announced that Inge was coming back in September. They have an open 40 man spot already and will have another one open when Ruffin is shipped to Seattle. The Strieby-to-OF experiment has been tried and aborted already.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Roger, that probably makes him more likely... Rehab limit is 20 days, which puts its end right around September 1. The team will indubitably use a spot on a third catcher in September, and Santos is the most likely option if healthy.

As for your guys on the 40 man:
    Andy Oliver: No, can't throw strikes now and needs a mental break.
    Lester Oliveros: Doubt it, just got demoted to AA.
    Jose Ortega: Nope, not pitching well in AAA.
    Brayan Villarreal: No idea how severe his injury is, but he was just put on the DL.
    Ryan Perry: He'll count because he'll be back in Toledo once Al Al is back.
    Chance Ruffin: Probably traded next week.
    Jacob Turner: No way, gotta limit the innings.
    Adam Wilk: More than likely.
    Omir Santos: Like I said, if he's healthy, he's up.
    Cale Iorg: I have a hard time seeing him promoted.
    Danny Worth: Definitely, although he may not count, simply because I think he gets a call in August at the expense of a pitcher so the team can carry 14 position players in the postseason.
    Will Rhymes: Wouldn't shock me, but it also wouldn't shock me if DD decides not to load that gun that Leyland has pointed at his foot.
    Clete Thomas: Awful this year.
    Ryan Strieby: Finally picking it up this year... Maybe

So of guys on the 40 man, you can probably count on Perry, Worth, and Wilk as definites. Maybe on Strieby, Villarreal, Santos, and Rhymes.

After Ruffin is traded, there will be two 40 man spots. I have to think Inge gets a call up. And I'm also going to throw Fu-Te Ni in the ring with how he has pitched of late.
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Iorg is batting .107 (3 for 33) in AA Erie. Awful.

Remember how we've heard that his glove will possibly get him a nod? Well, his defense has been the worst at his position in AAA. He was moved to 3B in Erie for one game and promptly made 2 errors in 6 chances.

I honestly do not think that he could even cut it in Lakeland.

Edman85 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    Iorg is batting .107 (3 for 33) in AA Erie. Awful.

Remember how we've heard that his glove will possibly get him a nod? Well, his defense has been the worst at his position in AAA. He was moved to 3B in Erie for one game and promptly made 2 errors in 6 chances.

I honestly do not think that he could even cut it in Lakeland.
    That's quite a leap in logic to say that his defense has been the worst in AAA... I'm assuming you mean fielding percentage.

Bottom line is that his bat hasn't come around, and that renders his glove useless. You keep him around in case the bat does come around to the point where he can be an Adam Everett in his prime type, but right now he's not an option.
    http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com
    RIP estrepe... Miss ya bud!