Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default Historic Tiger Baseball #10--Owen "Donie" Bush





    Today's Featured Tiger Player


    --Owen "Donie" Bush --
    (1908-1921)

    (click on name for statistics)


    [b]Some contend that Owen "Donie" Bush was the Tigers’ greatest shortstop before Alan Trammell. A sabremetrics study in the ‘90s claimed he had the 12th highest career range factor of any shortstop in history. When the Tigers called him up from Indianapolis in late 1908 he was a 20 year-old kid who stood just 5'6" and weighed 140. He was so nervous it wasn't until he reached Detroit that he discovered he had forgotten his spikes and glove and had to borrow Charley O'Leary's equipment to make his first major league start. Donie was the spark that catapulted the Detroit Tigers to the pennant in 1909.

    He played great defense, he didn't strike out, and he walked like crazy. Indeed, he led the league in walks five times, including each of his first four years, but not including 1915, when he walked a career high 118 times. Over twelve full seasons as Tiger shortstop, he averaged 89 walks a year, including an average of 94 walks per season during his prime, from 1909 through 1917. But his walk totals may be even more impressive than that indicates. For example, in 1909, he led the AL with "just" 88 walks - but that was 26 more than anyone else in the league.

    When he first came up, he batted second, after outfielder Davy Jones; later he batted first. Putting his walks and stolen bases in front of the two best hitters in the league, Ty Cobb and Sam Crawford, he sparked a Tiger offense that regularly led the league in runs scored, and Bush himself scored a lot of runs. From 1909 through 1917, he averaged over 101 runs scored per year.

    He managed for several years in the majors, with some success, including the 1927 National League pennant with the Pirates; he was later Ted Williams' manager at Minneapolis in the American Association, and is often credited as a very positive influence on Williams' development. He then became manager, general manager, and eventually owner of the Indianapolis team in the AA.
    The team's ballpark was for many years named Donie Bush Stadium.
    by Brad Smith



    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donie_Bush

    http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...Bush_Donie.stm

    http://www.thedeadballera.com/Obits/...nnie.Obit.html

    http://www.cosmicbaseball.com/bushball.html



    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  2. #2
    Fool Inc.'s Avatar
    Fool Inc. is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,930

    Default

    He might be the Babe Ruth of walks.

  3. #3
    redshark63's Avatar
    redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Commerce Twp., MI
    Posts
    11,226

    Default

    FYI to all, SABR (we're not just stat guys!) has a website called the Baseball Biography project. It has a whole bunch of player biographies, it is completely supplied by volunteers.

    Donie Bush is not in there, he is going to be in the upcoming SABR publication, Deadball Stars of the American League (the National League edition came out a year or two ago).

    Hey Burt, is Charlie Bennett on your list? Technically he is not a Tiger, being a Detroit Wolverine, but his ties to the Tigers early years are really strong. His is a great story (I think the Free Press did a write-up on him in the past year or so).

    http://bioproj.sabr.org/

  4. #4
    syrett4's Avatar
    syrett4 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lafayette Park
    Posts
    1,957

    Default

    Keep it up Bert, I am enjoying my T206 collection a lot more now!! Thank You. I know look at my Matty McIntyre card in a totally different light.
    But you aren't a man. Men are not supposed to like Streisand movies. Its just not right. - Estrepe1 VT

  5. #5
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redshark63
    FYI to all, SABR (we're not just stat guys!) has a website called the Baseball Biography project. It has a whole bunch of player biographies, it is completely supplied by volunteers.

    Donie Bush is not in there, he is going to be in the upcoming SABR publication, Deadball Stars of the American League (the National League edition came out a year or two ago).

    Hey Burt, is Charlie Bennett on your list? Technically he is not a Tiger, being a Detroit Wolverine, but his ties to the Tigers early years are really strong. His is a great story (I think the Free Press did a write-up on him in the past year or so).

    http://bioproj.sabr.org/
    He is now...Thanks for the tip. The first Tiger park was named in his honor after all.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  6. #6
    redshark63's Avatar
    redshark63 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Commerce Twp., MI
    Posts
    11,226

    Default

    Bert,
    I meant to ask you, since you are such a big Cobb fan, is it safe to say you are a Coke drinker?

  7. #7
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by syrett4
    Keep it up Bert, I am enjoying my T206 collection a lot more now!! Thank You. I know look at my Matty McIntyre card in a totally different light.
    Thanks. It's easy to just look at the pictures and forget that they were real players and had a real history. I know they have all become a lot more real for me since I started doing this..
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  8. #8
    FloridaTigers's Avatar
    FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Somewhere, Nowhere.
    Posts
    22,164
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    Yeah, many times you look back at the 1910s or before that and just see old photos of old players...but now this puts those "old players" in a different, new perspective.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

  9. #9
    Corky's Avatar
    Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Posts
    32,496
    Blog Entries
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoBert
    He is now...Thanks for the tip. The first Tiger park was named in his honor after all.
    He must have been good to have the St. Louis park named after him also.

    2014 AAT - Phil Coke


    I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

  10. #10
    DTroppens's Avatar
    DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Fenton, MI
    Posts
    37,389

    Default

    In my old time baseball games Bush is one of the funest players to play. Those low batting averages but great walk numbers and his bunting ability makes him fun guy.

    It's funny. You'll see stats that have him as one of the greatest fielding players at his position at his time but in other stuff you read about how his deficiencies at playing shortstop. For many years his fielding percentage was worse than most SSs during his era if I remember correctly but his range factor was always high. If anyone wants to see something interesting check out fielding percentages in the early 1900s. I bet many here don't realize how many more errors there were in that era than there are now. I think some think "oh maybe 50 more a year" but don't really realize how much different the numbers are for various reasons - poor equipment, poor fields and probably just not as good caliber fielding players because the game was still in its early stages.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

    "I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

  11. #11
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redshark63
    Bert,
    I meant to ask you, since you are such a big Cobb fan, is it safe to say you are a Coke drinker?
    I have a paunch to prove it.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  12. #12
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens
    In my old time baseball games Bush is one of the funest players to play. Those low batting averages but great walk numbers and his bunting ability makes him fun guy.

    It's funny. You'll see stats that have him as one of the greatest fielding players at his position at his time but in other stuff you read about how his deficiencies at playing shortstop. For many years his fielding percentage was worse than most SSs during his era if I remember correctly but his range factor was always high. If anyone wants to see something interesting check out fielding percentages in the early 1900s. I bet many here don't realize how many more errors there were in that era than there are now. I think some think "oh maybe 50 more a year" but don't really realize how much different the numbers are for various reasons - poor equipment, poor fields and probably just not as good caliber fielding players because the game was still in its early stages.
    Thanks Dave. That is a very cool addition to thread. You know, those dinky little gloves were nothng like the one's guy have today. I'd like to see how well today's players would handle a ground ball with those gloves.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  13. #13
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  14. #14
    zimm's Avatar
    zimm is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Ferndale, MI
    Posts
    7,536

    Default

    Great stuff Bert!

    I haven't posted on any of these but wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying them and anticipate each new edition.
    Evil

    Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

  15. #15
    Tyrus's Avatar
    Tyrus is offline Released
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The crappy part of Dee-Troit, MI
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redshark63
    Bert,
    I meant to ask you, since you are such a big Cobb fan, is it safe to say you are a Coke drinker?


    Well, I'm a Keith Hernandez fan...oh, never mind!

  16. #16
    Tyrus's Avatar
    Tyrus is offline Released
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    The crappy part of Dee-Troit, MI
    Posts
    11,029

    Default

    All-Time Tiger shortstops:

    1. Alan Trammell
    2. Billy Rogell
    3. Donie Bush

  17. #17
    IdahoBert's Avatar
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    32,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zimm
    Great stuff Bert!

    I haven't posted on any of these but wanted to let you know I'm really enjoying them and anticipate each new edition.
    This is good to know. It motivates me to keep doing it. And I will.
    "If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

  18. #18
    Corky's Avatar
    Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Liberty Lake, WA
    Posts
    32,496
    Blog Entries
    31

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by IdahoBert
    Was Bush constipated a lot?

    2014 AAT - Phil Coke


    I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

  19. #19
    Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW OH
    Posts
    12,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens
    In my old time baseball games Bush is one of the funest players to play. Those low batting averages but great walk numbers and his bunting ability makes him fun guy.

    It's funny. You'll see stats that have him as one of the greatest fielding players at his position at his time but in other stuff you read about how his deficiencies at playing shortstop. For many years his fielding percentage was worse than most SSs during his era if I remember correctly but his range factor was always high. If anyone wants to see something interesting check out fielding percentages in the early 1900s. I bet many here don't realize how many more errors there were in that era than there are now. I think some think "oh maybe 50 more a year" but don't really realize how much different the numbers are for various reasons - poor equipment, poor fields and probably just not as good caliber fielding players because the game was still in its early stages.
    I've never really made a connection in fielding % between the 2 eras, but it certainly would not surprise me that today's game should be played more error free given the technological advances of today like you alluded to. Better gloves, better fields, better baseballs, better athleticism, the Tom Emansky video,.... today's defenders are truly spoiled vs yesteryears'.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •