Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
    DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Maybe because "accomplishing his task" is the easiest job of any of the 12 pitchers on the team. Shocking that people get annoyed with a pitcher that routinely lets a lot of hitter reach base (send highest WHIP on the team). That's a disaster waiting to happen, as we've already seen this year. See also, Joaquin Benoit.
    He's accomplished the task and it's early. Gosh, if he's doing this in mid-May, blowing games left and right, then address the issue. He's pitched less than a game's worth of innings. And even through that "ineffective" work, he's done the job more often than not.

He's earned the right to work his way through this by "accomplishing the task." If he had three blown saves, then we'd have another issue. He doesn't.

And it wasn't like Texas made it easy on anyone pitching for the Tigers yesterday. NOTHING came easy for any pitcher yesterday. And, maybe, just maybe, we should give the opposing team some credit for that?
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    Thought of something just now...what about a wild pitch? That's not an error, but is also the pitcher's fault...would that impact their ERA?
    Yes a WP is counted against the pitcher as pitching, not the D. So a WP will not contribute to a run possibly being unearned.
    'No Way To Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

The Truman Show is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    He's accomplished the task and it's early. Gosh, if he's doing this in mid-May, blowing games left and right, then address the issue. He's pitched less than a game's worth of innings. And even through that "ineffective" work, he's done the job more often than not.

He's earned the right to work his way through this by "accomplishing the task." If he had three blown saves, then we'd have another issue. He doesn't.

And it wasn't like Texas made it easy on anyone pitching for the Tigers yesterday. NOTHING came easy for any pitcher yesterday. And, maybe, just maybe, we should give the opposing team some credit for that?
    But the Rangers didn't really do anything; Valverde just issued two really easy walks.
    I cohost a terrific AL Central podcast here:http://invertedw.com/
    I tweet here:http://twitter.com/champaigncaviar

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post

No. Closers should not be judged on whether or not they don't blow saves. Valverde's peripherals are ****ing terrible and he WILL blow tons of them if he keeps this up. Don't be so short sighted.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

Quote Originally Posted by Vonlenska View Post
    No. Closers should not be judged on whether or not they don't blow saves. Valverde's peripherals are ****ing terrible and he WILL blow tons of them if he keeps this up. Don't be so short sighted.
    How in the world am I being short-sighted? He's struggled. I GET IT. Gosh, I don't think I haven't said that. He's in a funk. I get it. But he's earned the right to work his way out of it, particularly because he's getting the saves and hasn't cost the team a game yet.

He's a closer that has a pretty amazing recent track record in save situations. Heck, the Tigers haven't lost a game in a season-plus since he's been inserted in save situations. That includes easy ones, harder ones and all the ones in between. He's earned the right to work out of this funk and figure it out. His track record has earned him that right. And, besides, he hasn't cost the team a single game yet this year with this funk. In fact, he's saved every game since his blown save. That earns him the right to continue to work through this as well.

The people that are short-sighted are the ones that want to jump ship on April 22, acting as though he hasn't earned this right to work out of this funk. Is he going to make a living all year with a WHIP of what he has right now? Probably not. But over this short-term it hasn't cost the team and he's still done the job. And he has a track record understanding how to do the job. And even LAST NIGHT, he closed the victory.

Where his performance hurts the Tigers is today if the Tigers need him. Maybe he tossed too many pitches that Leyland can't use him. But, if he is available and the Tigers lead by one entering the ninth inning today, Leyland will put him in as he should. Valverde has earned the right to work himself through this. And the Tigers have all the motivation to see if he can, based on what he did last year. If it's mid-May and he's still doing this stuff, then it's time to worry.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

It's kind of like the offense so far. Gosh, they have me frustrated at this point in the season. There are reasons why it isn't producing like many of us expected. But do I start thinking now that those things won't change, players won't make adjustments and eventually succeed because the offense hasn't produced over the last week or so?

Of course you don't. Many of those pieces have a track record. And you have to trust they can get themselves out of this funk. Chances are, they will.

And because they are 10-5 right now, that certainly lessens the issue. You can be more patient to let it work itself out, because up to this point, they've done enough to win and it's not overly hurting them right now.

If the issues don't work themselves out in a month, it'll catch up with the team and those issues will need to be addressed. Right now, it's still way too early, particularly with personnel that have track records and have earned the right to "right the ship" because when they have, they've been effective.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213