Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast
    IdahoBert is offline MotownSports Fan

Default 10-10-11--DETROIT VS TEXAS RANGERS--4:19 PM (Game 2 ALCS-re-scheduled)

Gibby celebrating his homer in the 5th game of the '84 World Series

From Arlington, Texas

It's the Detroit Tigers
    vs
    The Texas Rangers

October 10, 2011 4:19 PM

Game 2

Brought to you by:

"If you want a guarantee, buy a toaster."--Clint Eastwood

2014 Adopt A Tiger: Aníbal Sánchez, RSP

catswithbats is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Scherzer = win

GettinMiggyWithIt is offline MotownSports Fan

Bats need to come around. We have been leaving runners on base all post season. I believe in our pitching but the bats are starting to make me nervous.

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, last night was frustrating. I'm going to the Topsfield Fair for the day so for once it's actually good that the game is later. :)

Wish I didn't have to be at work at 7 tomorrow. Oh well.
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Must Win!
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

bob2009 is offline MotownSports Fan

Interestingly, of the eight teams that made the playoffs, no team averaged fewer runs per game in divisional series play than the Tigers. And once again, we couldn't hit at all last night. You can't rely on bases loaded wild pitches to generate offense. While it was only game one, I think people need to stop griping about the strike zone and look at the main reason for our problem- we suddenly can't hit. It's been a slump for over a week now, virtually team wide. You can only get by with people like Don Kelly or Santiago picking you up for so long. If Cabrerra, Avila and Perralta don't pick it up fast, this will be a very quick series and the umpiring won't matter. When the tigers were lighting it on fire at the end of the season, I thought perhaps they were peaking a bit soon. Hopefully that wasn't the case. But this team looks dead offensively right now.

jackson_cannery is offline MotownSports Fan

Weird, flukey game last night. Somebody had to win game 1. It's a race to 4.... the bats will get it going. I have confidence.

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bob2009 View Post
    Interestingly, of the eight teams that made the playoffs, no team averaged fewer runs per game in divisional series play than the Tigers. And once again, we couldn't hit at all last night. You can't rely on bases loaded wild pitches to generate offense. While it was only game one, I think people need to stop griping about the strike zone and look at the main reason for our problem- we suddenly can't hit. It's been a slump for over a week now, virtually team wide. You can only get by with people like Don Kelly or Santiago picking you up for so long. If Cabrerra, Avila and Perralta don't pick it up fast, this will be a very quick series and the umpiring won't matter. When the tigers were lighting it on fire at the end of the season, I thought perhaps they were peaking a bit soon. Hopefully that wasn't the case. But this team looks dead offensively right now.
    This. What, one hit out of the 3, 4, 5, 6 spots last night? That's not going to cut it at all. Wilson gave up 11 base runners in less than 5 innings of work, and only two runs get scored off of that? Maybe Santiago needs to be hitting leadoff and Jackson gets bumped down.

Both bullpens combined for around 10 innings of 2 hit ball last night with 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. That doesn't sound like a bad strike zone to me.

Of to an 0-1 start in the series. Not at all insurmountable, but the lack of scoring is getting a bit annoying.

sabretooth is offline MotownSports Fan

Getting 11 baserunners in 5 innings is not a sign of bad hitting, but getting only 2 runs off of it is a sign of unproductive at-bats when we needed it -- which can be either (a) bad hitting (b) good pitching or (c) bad luck, or a combination of all three.

However, here's a comparison of Cabrera/Martinez/Avila/Peralta from the Regular to the Postseason:

Code:
    	AB	H	2B	3B	HR	BB	SO	BA	OBP	SLG	OPS
    Regular Season	2101	669	146	7	82	267	366	0.3184	0.3953	0.5117	0.9069

Postseason	81	14	4	0	2	12	27	0.1728	0.2796	0.2963	0.5759
    Even excluding Avila, the remaining three are:

Code:

Regular Season	1637	532	113	3	63	194	235	0.3250	0.3965	0.5131	0.9096

Postseason	60	13	4	0	2	10	18	0.2167	0.3286	0.3833	0.7119
    Yeah, not gonna cut it, esp. with virtually every other reliable source of extra base power except Raburn gone.

Help us middle of the lineup, you're our only hope.
    Introibo ad altare Dei

2013 AAT: Jim Price

StaffGod is offline MotownSports Fan

Sorry y'all, more bad weather coming. Probably looking at another rain delay or several. I have my doubts whether Game 2 will be played tonight.

Antrat is online now MotownSports Fan

I smell a January World Series.
    "I'm disabled"

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by StaffGod View Post
    I have my doubts whether Game 2 will be played tonight.
    Definitely wouldn't mind this. Please no more in game rain delays.

From repurposed Ford Field, it's November baseball with the Detroit Tigers playing the Milwaukee Brewers!

Jeff6851 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GettinMiggyWithIt View Post
    Bats need to come around. We have been leaving runners on base all post season. I believe in our pitching but the bats are starting to make me nervous.
    Can't tell you how many times I watched them look at a fast ball down the middle and then swing at something out of the zone.

Also, the thing that bothers me about Leyland is that he doesn't believe in OBP, so he'll keep batting Jackson leadoff and basically start the first inning with an out, most likely a strikeout. That's another reason we leave so many people on base, after we get through the guys with good OBP we get the guys with low averages.
    2012 AL Champs

Dunkin Darvin is offline MotownSports Fan

This one might not be played today.

Cecil is offline Released

The talk about Jackson is getting sickening. He had a double and a run scored. Twice there were runners on third less than two outs for our best hitters and twice they couldn't get a single run in. We also had the bases loaded and two outs for one of our best hitters. The opportunities were there for the best hitters.

We-we-we so excited
    We so excited
    We gonna have a ball today

StaffGod is offline MotownSports Fan

yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    The talk about Jackson is getting sickening. He had a double and a run scored. Twice there were runners on third less than two outs for our best hitters and twice they couldn't get a single run in. We also had the bases loaded and two outs for one of our best hitters. The opportunities were there for the best hitters.
    I can understand the frustration with Jackson, but you are right.
    Martinez and Cabrera are getting a free ride by many here.
    They had many opportunities to put that game away last night and they failed.
    But Jackson is a horrible guy to be leading off. I hope they get someone in the off-season for that role.
    Dombrowski said they'd like to get another speedy guy for the line-up.
    Hmmmmm
    "I'm disabled"

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    I can understand the frustration with Jackson, but you are right.
    Martinez and Cabrera are getting a free ride by many here.
    They had many opportunities to put that game away last night and they failed.
    But Jackson is a horrible guy to be leading off. I hope they get someone in the off-season for that role.
    Dombrowski said they'd like to get another speedy guy for the line-up.
    Hmmmmm
    Leyland has also said they'd like to add a speed guy. Seems to be a consensus there. I agree Jackson shouldn't be leading off and I have no doubt that he would be if there was a better alternative.

Charles Liston is offline MotownSports Fan

I really enjoyed Terry Francona. I didn't start watching until about the third inning, so I didn't know who it was. I just kept wondering "Hey who is that guy with at least average intelligence"? If he were a football coach he'd take a year off, get a job in the booth, and like it so much that he'd never come out again. But I thought he was really really good.

bighev is offline MotownSports Fan

Knowing the clowns at MLB they'll start the game, it will start to storm while the Tigers are batting, the MLB douchies will let the game continue, Miggy will get struck by lighting (he'll shake it off cause he's Miggy), Leyland will have to replace him with Raburn, they'll call a rain delay once the Tigers go 1-2-3, game will be postponed until Monday, and they'll have it start at the exact same time as the Lions game. Then a squirrel will run up Fister's leg and give him rabies, which he unknowingly will give to Porcello and we get swept cause Coke has to start game 4....or none of that happens and we take the series in 6.

TigerNation is offline MotownSports Fan

Yeah, Francona was terrific.

He managed against both teams in the regular season so unlike most announcers he actually has scouted them and knows about them.

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigerNation View Post

He managed against both teams in the regular season so unlike most announcers he actually has scouted them and knows about them.
    Francona was awesome.

Verlander MVP 2011 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    The talk about Jackson is not only about last night, but about the whole season.... A .316 OBP out of your lead off hitter is terrible.

The guy cannot bat lead off on a World Series caliber team, and the fact that you defend him after a night like last night demonstrates that. 1-5 with a double and 4 strikeouts is not a good day at the plate, especially for a table setter.
    2012 AAT: Jeff Jones

2012 Record at Tigers' Games: 8-4 (8-2 in Detroit, 0-2 in Cleveland)

Dunkin Darvin is offline MotownSports Fan

Arlington, Texas— Weather forecasters say there's another chance for rain during Game 2 of the AL championship series.

But the 60 percent chance of showers is likely to decrease as the system that caused two delays in Saturday night's series opener moves eastward, said Matt Mosier, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Fort Worth.

Game 1 of the series between the Detroit Tigers and Texas Rangers resumed after two rain delays in the top of the fifth inning.

The first delay was 41 minutes long. Then, 13 minutes after play resumed, umpires halted the game for 1:09.

Mosier says even though there's a rain chance, "it doesn't look like there's going to be lightening or a ton of rain ... they should be able to play the game."

From The Detroit News: Detroit Tigers - MLB | More rain possible for Tigers, Rangers ALCS Game 2 | The Detroit News

TigersSlappy is offline MotownSports Fan

Looks like it's going to be off for tonight....wonder if they'll try to go agaiinst MNF or play it in the afternoon for travel convenience?

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
    Rangers-tigers likely to be banged soon. Not raining at moment but forecast is brutal.
    8 minutes ago
    2014AAT-Buck Farmer 2013AAT-Mr Ilitch 2013 AAL-Nick Fairley 2012AAL-Willie Young 2012AAT-Dixon Machado 2011AAL-Tom "Killer" Kowalski 2011AAT-Heather Nabozny 2010AAT-Phil Coke 2008&2007AAT-Sergio Collado
    2007AT-AAT-Alan Trammell

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bighev View Post
    Knowing the clowns at MLB they'll start the game, it will start to storm while the Tigers are batting, the MLB douchies will let the game continue, Miggy will get struck by lighting (he'll shake it off cause he's Miggy), Leyland will have to replace him with Raburn, they'll call a rain delay once the Tigers go 1-2-3, game will be postponed until Monday, and they'll have it start at the exact same time as the Lions game. Then a squirrel will run up Fister's leg and give him rabies, which he unknowingly will give to Porcello and we get swept cause Coke has to start game 4....or none of that happens and we take the series in 6.
    LMAO. Thank You for bringing a smile to a depressed Tiger fan.

Sports_Freak is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by TigerNation View Post

I agree. And he actually sounds intelligent, unlike most of those guys. I still can't believe Boston fired him. They should be cursed for another 100+ years. He's going to have his choice of jobs and Boston will NOT find anyone better. Hire him DD, let Leyland retire. That would be huge for the Tigers, I would LOVE to have him as our next manager.

Verlander MVP 2011 is offline MotownSports Fan

Officially postponed. Game two tomorrow at 4:19 PM EST

2012 AAT: Jeff Jones

2012 Record at Tigers' Games: 8-4 (8-2 in Detroit, 0-2 in Cleveland)

froggyvk is offline MotownSports Fan

ALCS Game 2 postponed. 4:19 ET on Monday. #postseason #Tigers #Rangers #MLB

Detroit weather sucks.
    They should have started in Texas where the sun always shines.
    "I'm disabled"

Dawgs is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    This. What, one hit out of the 3, 4, 5, 6 spots last night? That's not going to cut it at all. Wilson gave up 11 base runners in less than 5 innings of work, and only two runs get scored off of that? Maybe Santiago needs to be hitting leadoff and Jackson gets bumped down.

Both bullpens combined for around 10 innings of 2 hit ball last night with 1 walk and 10 strikeouts. That doesn't sound like a bad strike zone to me.

Of to an 0-1 start in the series. Not at all insurmountable, but the lack of scoring is getting a bit annoying.
    Jackson just plain sucks at the plate and with the added pressure of the playoffs its effecting his defense too. He needs to hit ninth. 183 Ks for a leadoff hitter with less than 10 HRs? If I hadnt watched all season and you told me this Id call you a liar.

As for the rest of the lineup, Cmon boys pick up the pace!
    Floooorida? But thats Americas wang.---Homer Simpson

VT

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

My sister in law lives there and was here last weekend. Said it hadn't rained in like a yer.

Chris_Iott Chris Iott
    Magglio Ordonez out for the remainder of the season due to ankle injury. #Tigers
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Charlie1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Sports_Freak View Post
    I agree. And he actually sounds intelligent, unlike most of those guys. I still can't believe Boston fired him. They should be cursed for another 100+ years. He's going to have his choice of jobs and Boston will NOT find anyone better. Hire him DD, let Leyland retire. That would be huge for the Tigers, I would LOVE to have him as our next manager.
    Right-hire a loser that got eliminated by the Rays. Good idea.

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoBert View Post
    Chris_Iott Chris Iott
    Magglio Ordonez out for the remainder of the season due to ankle injury. #Tigers
    3 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
    What!?
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

KleShreen is offline Banned

Bad bad news about Magglio. He's been arguably our second best hitter in the postseason...behind Delmon...

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

BOO.
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast