RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Michigan considers extending tax breaks to unborn babies

Michigan Legislation would give pregnancy tax break | wzzm13.com

LANSING, Mich. (AP) -- Michigan lawmakers are considering bills that would grant a tax break to parents who can show that a fetus is at least 12 weeks old at the end of a year.

The legislation would treat a fetus the same as a child for purposes of a tax deduction. The bills got a hearing Tuesday in a House committee and could come up for votes before lawmakers close their session in December.

Republican Rep. Jud Gilbert of Algonac says it's an attempt to recognize that a pregnancy brings expenses. The tax break could cost the state $5 million to $10 million a year in revenue.

The Michigan branch of the National Organization for Women is criticizing the legislation, saying it's an attempt to extend legal rights to the unborn.
    As a strong anti-abortionist, I have to agree with the NOW here (dang that pains me to admit!). I see no real reason for this other than to push at the edge of what's considered a human and what isn't. Now, I have ZERO problem with them attempt to define human life as starting earlier in the process, but don't try to disguise it as "recognizing that a pregnancy brings expenses." That's just plain stupid. Have the balls to call it what it is, then I'll support you 100%.

tigerkid23 is offline MotownSports Fan

I was at the Tax Policy committee hearing for this yesterday for work. Like you said, these bills (there are two bills tie-barred to each other meaning both need to pass in order for either to be enacted) are just such a blatant attempt to define human life as starting earlier under the guise of a tax break for pregnant women. I'm not sure it has the votes to get out of the committee, but it could considering the bill sponsors are the House Tax Policy chairman and another influential member of the committee (Rep. Jud Gilbert and Rep. Lisa Posthumous Lyons). If it makes it to the House floor, there are a bunch of lame duck Republican legislators who just lost their seats as the Democrats made pretty significant gains in the Michigan House who are a complete wild card. However, I think it would probably die in the Senate. I doubt the Governor would sign it either.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~ Tom Clark

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Now that's just silly.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

So, can a guy get a tax break for masturbating now, too? Or is that a penalty he'd be on the hook for.

I'd like to walk a whole slew of legislators off a short plank into shark infested water.......At all levels of government.
    Too many self serving jerks.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Lousluggage is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Now that's just silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by smr-nj View Post
    So, can a guy get a tax break for masturbating now, too? Or is that a penalty he'd be on the hook for.

I'd like to walk a whole slew of legislators off a short plank into shark infested water.......At all levels of government.
    Too many self serving jerks.
    Pretty much.
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

tigerkid23 is offline MotownSports Fan

For the record, these bills died in committee.
    "I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." ~ Tom Clark

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Bad policy. Glad that whole thing is over.
    All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infantís life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry