Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Sen. Paul filibusters defense bill

Sen. Paul filibusters defense bill - The Hill's Floor Action

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) is holding up a vote on the Defense Authorization Act until he gets a vote on his amendment affirming the Sixth Amendment of the Constitution and the indefinite detention of Americans.

Paul is seeking an agreement in principle to get a vote on his amendment when the Senate takes up the defense authorization bill that funds and sets the agenda for the U.S. military.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) had said at the beginning of the week that he wished to move onto consideration of the Defense Authorization Act, S. 3254, before leaving for Thanksgiving break Thursday night.
    “[Republicans] say they want to move to the defense authorization bill, so I said yesterday, fine, let’s move to it,” Reid said on the floor Thursday. “But my friends can’t take ‘yes’ for an answer.

“[Democrats are] not the cause for why the defense authorization bill is not being brought to the floor.”

Reid agreed to allow an open amendment process on the defense bill because he said Senate Armed Service Committee leaders, Sens. Carl Levin (D-Mich.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.), agreed to wade through and table all the non-germane amendments offered.

Paul’s amendment would give American citizens being held by the military rights to a fair trial with a jury of peers and the right to confront the witnesses against him or her.

“A citizen of the United States who is captured or arrested in the United States and detained by the Armed Forces of the United States pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force (Public Law 107–40) shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense,” the amendment states.

Reid said he hoped Republicans resolve the issue so the Senate can proceed to the Defense Authorization Act when it resumes work on Monday, Nov. 26.
    The whole family is nothing but trouble makers.
    VT

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a lot of issues with Rand Paul, but the guy does a lot of good for us all.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

So is he actually talking endlessly?

Good for him.
    "dada's moustache is so awesome" - my 2 and a half year old daughter

Quote Originally Posted by pfife View Post
    So is he actually talking endlessly?

Good for him.
    No, at least I don't think so. I just checked all the C-SPAN channels and they aren't showing it. I assume they would if he was up there babbling on.

My guess is they are at a point where amendments can still be introduced. So Paul introduces this one knowing it doesn't have the votes to pass. But also knowing Reid wont bring it to a vote because people will look bad for voting it down.

I really should read up on this kind of thing.
    VT

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

I believe Americans already have these rights.

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    I believe Americans already have these rights.
    I was actually just thinking that. Can you make a law that is already on the books? Still, going with Deleterous thoughts, even saying it's a law already and trying to put Paul aside will just raise the question of, if it is law, why isn't that what is going on in examples x, y, and z?
    VT

Mr.TaterSalad is offline MotownSports Fan

At least someone had the courage to stand against this Big Brother bill. Anyone, right, left or center should be appalled by some of the provisions in the NDAA. Screw the Consitutions, basic rights of man are being violated by the NDAA. In a crowd full of cowards and snakes Rand Paul is yet another half-honest man, putting all politics aside. This is a very important filibuster and Paul is doing it for all of us with and for that he should get everyone's gratitude!
    "Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind"- Fred Rogers

Blue Square Thing is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TaterSalad View Post
    At least someone had the courage to stand against this Big Brother bill. Anyone, right, left or center should be appalled by some of the provisions in the NDAA. Screw the Consitutions, basic rights of man are being violated by the NDAA. In a crowd full of cowards and snakes Rand Paul is yet another half-honest man, putting all politics aside. This is a very important filibuster and Paul is doing it for all of us with and for that he should get everyone's gratitude!
    Why did he vote for AUMF in 2001 then?

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Square Thing View Post
    Why did he vote for AUMF in 2001 then?
    Rand Paul? He wasn't elected to congress until 2010.
    Last edited by Melody; 11-17-2012 at 07:08 AM.

Blue Square Thing is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Rand Paul? He wasn't elected to congress until 2010.
    Ah, I assumed it was Ron - didn't read closely enough.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.TaterSalad View Post
    The language of Rand Paul's amendment begins "A citizen of the United States who is captured or arrested in the United States[...]"

then a list of rights already preserved for Americans captured/arrested in America. AFAIK this is a publicity stunt. If he wanted to change things lobby for all these rights to be given to Americans arrested abroad.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
    VT

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Good video.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2