stanpapi is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Hurricane Sandy- New York: Day 11

Here are some snippets from some of the media coverage of New York today. It's the strangest thing. I know I heard last weekend that this was being handled remarkably well by Obama and FEMA. But that's right, that was before the election, and after only day 5 without power. Springsteen has now come, done his relief concert. Now we're up to day 11, so maybe the answer is a bit different now. Today, of course being the start of gas rationing, with the added little problem of people freezing in houses that the governor describes as "uninhabitable".

But this storm was good for us and for Obama, so I'm told, because it "brought in possibilities for good politics" FOXNEWS FOX NEWS: Chris Matthews Says He's Glad Hurricane Sandy Hit the U S - YouTube. Yes. A "mainstream" media nutjob did utter that phrase, it's on video tape. So given that this was a good thing that happened, let's take a look at some examples of how this administration's efforts are working out for the people of new york:

Residents of Oceanside, Long Island took to the garbage-filled suburban streets today amid the stench of raw sewage. At a protest outside a local elementary school here, many were outraged after more than 11 days without power.

In Coney Island, residents welcomed the thought of a presidential visit as they waited for help nearly two weeks after the hurricane. “Nothing has really changed since the hurricane,” said Jay Dawson, 44, of Far Rockaway. “It would be good (President Obama's upcoming trip to NY on Nov. 15th) to draw attention to the Rockaways because we still don’t have power.”

“Please tell him to come to 35th and Surf Ave.,” said Barbara Summers, 56. “I’ve got no water, no electricity, no lights, no nothing. It has been 11 days.”

“He definitely should have come sooner,” said Orr, the chairwoman of Community Board 14. “I think he needs to be there so people can see he really does care. Saying it on TV and being on the ground are two different things. Given the devastation he should have found a way to be out here already.”

In Great Neck, many still don't have power. "Where are the boots on the ground? We keep hearing that there's added crew, there are so many people working. We're not seeing them," Nassau County Legislator Judi Bosworth told WCBS.

Babylon Town Supervisor Richard Schaffer described the situation as "mass chaos."

Gas Rationing

Gas rationing started Friday morning in New York City and Long Island where about 11 million people live. It is an odd day for these New York City drivers, and that is good for them because their license plates end with an odd number. Odd-even license plate gas rationing went into effect in New York City and Long lsland. Police officers are helping to enforce the new rules. A terminal that pumps 4.5 million gallons of gas a day to both areas was temporarily knocked out by the Nor'easter. Mayor Michael Bloomberg says the rationing system will not likely end anytime soon.

Oh, and fortunately, here's a corporate feel good story through all the devastation. Bloomingdales is collecting bottles of water for victims. You know, the bottles of water that FEMA forgot to pre-position to help these people.

"Join us in delivering 500,000 bottles of water to those affected by hurricane sandy. Bloomingdale’s is making a donation of 250,000 bottles of water. help bring the donation to 500,000 bottles and together we can provide vital relief where it’s needed most. find out more and how you can help here" »Every Bottle Counts | Facebook
    [/I]

Most of you have noticed, I have a penchant for sarcasm. Please keep in mind, all sarcasm aside, I have friends in New York. I don't like this one bit. This is not funny to me in the least. This is wrong. And while it was going to be a massive effort to fix a city like this after it takes a hurricane right in the snout, I don't like the fact that we let these people rot for days with a tepid- at best- response from FEMA and from this administration. During the re-election of this guy, who showed up for a 2 hour photo op and then left to campaign and play basketball. I certainly do not believe in massive government. But there are limited times, such as in natural disasters, where governments must act and lead. And this is not happening now. So you certainly can disagree with me politically, but ask yourself if this is the kind of response you would expect if you lived there, knowing what was said to you 2 days before the election about how this storm was being handled by this administration.
    Last edited by stanpapi; 11-09-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Blue Square Thing is offline MotownSports Fan

Oh, I've not been around for a few weeks. Did anyone hear from Sue at all?

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Square Thing View Post
    Oh, I've not been around for a few weeks. Did anyone hear from Sue at all?
    Sue has been on a few times and says that things are moving forward slowly... I think on the pet peeve thread. I think they were making pretty good progress, but the nor'easter that hit them a few days ago set things back.

My mother is in the general area as well (Paramus), but is ok. Some of the places I used to enjoy as a kid on the coast.... completely gone. :(
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

I didn't like what Matthews said either, fwiw. He did apologize but I have a sinking feeling that what he said (which he blamed being on the air for so long), was at least a bit of the truth. Just so everybody knows, he (and jerks like Maher), do not speak for me.

That said, I am not happy with what I see either-but I don't know that it's a huge failure on the part of FEMA. I think at least some of it is because it's damage that may very well take months to clean up and repair (and as I said the nor'easter didn't help) but that's easy for me to say up here where we got spared the worst of it. But, as I said it's going to take time: parts of VT that got hit hard by Irene last year are still struggling with roads that completely disappeared.

In 2008, there was a situation up here in Western MA/Southern NH where there was an ice storm that knocked out power for several weeks... and evidently most people outside of NE/upstate NY weren't aware of it-so I'm pretty sure a lack of coverage isn't the problem.

We do have a lot of organizations here that are doing their best to organize and send supplies to NY/NJ, which won't help the power situation, but maybe you could look into organizations around you. At times like this it is important for people at all levels to pitch in.
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

Blue Square Thing is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lousluggage View Post
    Sue has been on a few times and says that things are moving forward slowly... I think on the pet peeve thread. I think they were making pretty good progress, but the nor'easter that hit them a few days ago set things back.

My mother is in the general area as well (Paramus), but is ok. Some of the places I used to enjoy as a kid on the coast.... completely gone. :(
    Ta.

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Victoria's Secret saves National Guard during Sandy power outage - CBS News

The televised fashion show is held at the Regiment's armory annually and the show's producers brought along eight generators just to power the extravagant event, reports Wired.

When the New York Army National Guard's 69th Infantry Regiment's headquarters needed power, officials appealed to Victoria's Secret producers for help on Tuesday morning and by 7 p.m. that night the armory had power again, reports the site.

"We were dead in the water until Victoria's Secret showed up," Capt. Bredan Gendron, the Regiment's operations officer, told Wired.

The show is being taped Wednesday night and will air on Dec. 4 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on CBS.
    Superstorm Sandy Relief: Anheuser-Busch Turns Beer Into Water - ABC News

About 44 thousand cases of water instead of brew are heading to the New York/New Jersey area free of charge.

“Personally, for me it does mean a little bit more because I do have family affected by it,” said Anheuser-Busch Plant Manager Scott Vail, who is originally from New Jersey.

It sounds novel, but Anheuser-Busch has been converting beer lines to water lines for disaster relief dating back to the San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

Since 1988, the company has donated 71 million cans of water.
    When Sandy hit, I read quite a few stories about Anheuser-Busch being first on the scene with water in previous disasters. Good for them.
    VT

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

USA Today had an article yesterday about FEMA housing people in tents during the most recent snow storm. One guy said that you could see your breath, it was so cold inside those tents. So when people started complaining, they cut off the charging stations for cell phones and the wi-fi. "To conserve power," don't you know.

For all the fuss about it being bad to collect blankets, diapers, water, canned goods I have to say that groups like churches, even the Occupy movement, has delivered a whole lot of assistance this way to areas that Red Cross and FEMA have essentially neglected.

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This is seriously no different from any other region that has been hit by a hurricane. Gas rationing, power outages lasting two weeks, lack of water, etc. The only difference is that this was in a region not used to this sort of thing.
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan