ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

Default Puerto Rico opts for a change

Puerto Rico changes course, elects Garcia Padilla as governor | Fox News Latino

I followed this with some interest. I understand that the PR voted narrowly to become a US state. This would cause a huge ripple on the US system: 2 extra senators, another star for the flag, language issues because they talk so fast

Maybe the GOP should nominate Pudge Rodriguez...although I'm not sure anyone would follow him unless out of morbid curiosity.
    'Whatever happens, we have got
    The Maxim Gun, and they have not.

Melody is online now MotownSports Fan

Really? I do have some friends in Puerto Rico and they were posting discussions on facebook, but in Spanish and using language that is well above my baby spanish comprehension. I could tell it was political, but pretty much ignored it.

I guess I'll have to go back and wade through all that with babelfish. LOL If I had to guess, I'd bet that they were in support of the measure since we met first when our dads served together in the U.S. military.

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Unless there are two states with reasonably equal populations and one being a Republican state and the other a Democrat state, it's probably not going to happen. At least that's been my line of thinking for about three decades now.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Really? I do have some friends in Puerto Rico and they were posting discussions on facebook, but in Spanish and using language that is well above my baby spanish comprehension. I could tell it was political, but pretty much ignored it.

I guess I'll have to go back and wade through all that with babelfish. LOL If I had to guess, I'd bet that they were in support of the measure since we met first when our dads served together in the U.S. military.
    important factor: the income tax boogyman wouldn't be there because of the much lower income levels in PR. It might be the best thing for the islanders, not sure what the US gets out of the deal unless military bases and other US equities are only salvageable by granting statehood.

I'm cool with this if they also break up Texas into two states to give two more GOP senators :--)

RatkoVarda is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    Unless there are two states with reasonably equal populations and one being a Republican state and the other a Democrat state, it's probably not going to happen. At least that's been my line of thinking for about three decades now.
    PR for Dems; Cuba for GOP

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    interesting. One historical example that I can think of though...East Germany has proven to be a boat anchor on Germany. The East Germans are 47 percent-ers.

redshark63 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by RatkoVarda View Post
    Been there, done that - Missouri Compromise
    2014 AAT: Drew VerHagen

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    interesting. One historical example that I can think of though...East Germany has proven to be a boat anchor on Germany. The East Germans are 47 percent-ers.

On the other hand...Poland, and other East Europe countries who have to sort things out on their own have adapted to market economies better.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    I called that one 23 years ago.

I was working at an ad agency in 1989 and our librarian -- yes, our ad agency had a library with a full-time librarian back then -- expressed alarm at the prospect of a united Germany, because she was Jewish and had Holocaust survivors and victims in the family. I'd read a good deal about everyday life in the Soviet Union back then, and knew that the planned economy system stifled work ethic and innovation, so I told her not to worry because East Germans were going to be a drag on their economy for decades.

I don't know if she bought my line of reasoning, but I do know I turned out to be right.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Pedro Cotto for State Senator!!!
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    I called that one 23 years ago.

I was working at an ad agency in 1989 and our librarian -- yes, our ad agency had a library with a full-time librarian back then -- expressed alarm at the prospect of a united Germany, because she was Jewish and had Holocaust survivors and victims in the family. I'd read a good deal about everyday life in the Soviet Union back then, and knew that the planned economy system stifled work ethic and innovation, so I told her not to worry because East Germans were going to be a drag on their economy for decades.

I don't know if she bought my line of reasoning, but I do know I turned out to be right.
    In 1989 I was in Germany in the Air Force preparing for the big show with the Russians. At some point in the late Summer of '89 I asked my very good German friend Bernd if he thought Germany would ever be unified and he said "No, that would be impossible" and within two months the f'in wall was down. Never trust those krauts.

As for Cuba, there would be a considerable influx of capital from the US but for what? What does Cuba offer? Low wage/low skill workers? Nice beaches, perhaps.