Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Default President Obama Supports Gay Marriage

Great to see President Obama come out and say what I think he's believed in his heart for years - that gay marriage is OK. I've always thought that he would publicly not support it for political reasons...and that has been my biggest disappointment in him. I'm fairly confident the liberal base is pumped right now. Equality for all. I love it.

First Read - Obama backs same-sex marriage
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

I don't think the West Virginia thing was the main cause of this proclamation, but I do think he needed to pump up his base, and this will definitely help with that. It will be interesting to see what pledges he makes toward the gay community as it gets closer to the election.

pyrotigers is offline MotownSports Fan

Good news, it would be nice to know whether he was lying in 2008 or now though
    Kobernoooooous

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Awesome! Whenever I'm tempted to believe Romney's promises of spending cuts, I'm just going to remember the last couple weeks where Romney cowers and fires a gay adviser and then Obama does this. One is reading the political leaves and trying to regress, one is reading them and feels confident enough to move forward. Forward slowly, but forward.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotigers View Post
    his position is evolving as his candidacy evolves. the tainted, obvious truth.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

tigerbomb13 is offline MotownSports Fan

2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Robbie Ray

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

What stunning leadership! Will his bust on Mount Rushmore include his moistened finger in the air?

2008. I think without a doubt he stood by a position he did not believe for years...but it's a new day and I'm thrilled he is finally behind the issue.
    Obama '12

pfife is online now MotownSports Fan

Easy. He was lying in 2008.
    "dada's moustache is so awesome" - my 2 and a half year old daughter

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    What stunning leadership! Will his bust on Mount Rushmore include his moistened finger in the air?
    Your boys have always gone against the popular opinion on this matter

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I approve his declaration.

Next.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

jaymo is offline MotownSports Fan

Romney will now face the decision of how much harder he wants to pretend to support a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

It will be an interesting 6 months.
    There are 30 MLB teams so each one should win the World Series on average once every 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo View Post
    Romney will now face the decision of how much harder he wants to pretend to support a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

It will be an interesting 6 months.
    HE's going to claim credit for Obama's "evolution" pretty soon.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

It's about freaking time. Thanks to Joe Biden for leading the way on this. You don't like gay marriage - then don't marry a gay person. Problem solved.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pfife View Post
    There's ALWAYS a caveat!

However, the path to the constitutionality of regulating marriage at the Federal level is pretty rocky. The first step is to not impede the states that want to legalize it. For the Feds to make a law regulating it, it would have to based on either spending power or the commerce clause.

DOMA gets around this by regulating only the federal government's position and whether states have to accept marriages from other states -- the latter of which is probably a violation of the Privileges and Immunities clause, but that didn't stop Congress from passing it. But for the Federal government to mandate that all states legalize same-sex marriage would be nearly constitutionally impossible.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    Awesome! Whenever I'm tempted to believe Romney's promises of spending cuts, I'm just going to remember the last couple weeks where Romney cowers and fires a gay adviser and then Obama does this. One is reading the political leaves and trying to regress, one is reading them and feels confident enough to move forward. Forward slowly, but forward.
    The gay adviser quit in the face of campaign staff objections. The fact that some nuts tried to take credit makes it true that they had any impact. Regardless, Obama took Cheney's position today and he did so because he was being pressured by donors (an inordinate number of his bundlers are gay).

It will be interesting to see if he can inspire young voters with this...my experience though says their own economic plight might weigh more heavily.

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

Obama, what a flip-flopper.

The guarantee of civil rights was never meant to create new rights for minorities.

Until now. When we apparently need to reinvent or redefine the institution of marriage to allow people who self-define as minorities based upon a behavior they practice to have the newly invented "right" to marry someone of the same gender.

Last I checked, no one will deny a man a marriage license to marry a woman merely because he is a homosexual. A gay man has the same rights as a straight man in this situation.

What you call rights is in fact social disorder. You'll historically find similar social disorder in other empires in decline.

And in the privacy of the voting booth, the results don't equal the noise.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he can inspire young voters with this...my experience though says their own economic plight might weigh more heavily.
    I have a feeling this will resonate very strongly with college-aged kids.
    Obama '12

Quote Originally Posted by shabba4detroit View Post

The guarantee of civil rights was never meant to create new rights for minorities.

Until now. When we apparently need to reinvent or redefine the institution of marriage to allow people who self-define as minorities based upon a behavior they practice to have the newly invented "right" to marry someone of the same gender.

Last I checked, no one will deny a man a marriage license to marry a woman merely because he is a homosexual. A gay man has the same rights as a straight man in this situation.

What you call rights is in fact social disorder. You'll historically find similar social disorder in other empires in decline.

Yes...Bob and Jim marrying down the street will lead to China taking over the US.
    Last edited by monkeynuts; 05-09-2012 at 04:33 PM.
    Obama '12

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

HE's going to claim credit for Obama's "evolution" pretty soon.
    And he'd be right to do since Obama did nothing today but take a federalist, states right position.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    Yes...Bob and Jim marrying down the street will lead to China taking over the US.
    But the fact that we are dealing with fluff like this while the million man Chinese army is honing its foreclosure skills might. And that this, rather than a strong foreign policy, influencing the voting masses might. And that people who think that dumbing down a historical comparison to inaccurate and prevaricated absurdity makes them clever have unfettered access to the internet might also.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

T&P_Fan is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Obama is great. I like the way he operates.

But the fact that we are dealing with fluff like this while the million man Chinese army is honing its foreclosure skills might. And that this, rather than a strong foreign policy, influencing the voting masses might. And that people who think that dumbing down a historical comparison to inaccurate and prevaricated absurdity makes them clever have unfettered access to the internet might also.
    Geez...I didn't realize this was so emotionally tramatic. It's not like gay marriage will cannabilize the government's agenda for the next three years.

You can go hide in some 1950s concrete bunker tonight...I'll have a martini and watch some Will & Grace tonight to celebrate...
    Obama '12

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    Geez...I didn't realize this was so emotionally tramatic. It's not like gay marriage will cannabilize the government's agenda for the next three years.

You can go hide in some 1950s concrete bunker tonight...I'll have a martini and watch some Will & Grace tonight to celebrate...
    Will & Grace. Isn't that like Amos and Andy for homosexuals?

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Who is the Drizzle? View Post
    I see what you did there
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Will & Grace. Isn't that like Amos and Andy for homosexuals?
    Just spit beer all over my screen....Bravo! I'm not against the equal rights bit, just call it a union. Uncomfortable about it? Yeah slightly I admit. No celebration though.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Bigot.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

I"m told that in the black community homosexuality is very frowned upon... in fact the rumor, heard from multiple people, is that it's one reason why one congressman who shall not be named, hint(his wife is in jail!, remains in the closet. And why he married that whack job.

I think it's a strategic move. He knows Mitt is vulnerable with the religious right so this forces his issue. I don't see it hurting Obama and in fact may be a result of his own troubles that he had to resort to reassuring his base.

Your boys have always gone against the popular opinion on this matter
    "always" is a bit strong.

TheCouga is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I"m told that in the black community homosexuality is very frowned upon... in fact the rumor, heard from multiple people, is that it's one reason why one congressman who shall not be named, hint(his wife is in jail!, remains in the closet. And why he married that whack job.

I think it's a strategic move. He knows Mitt is vulnerable with the religious right so this forces his issue. I don't see it hurting Obama and in fact may be a result of his own troubles that he had to resort to reassuring his base.
    This is true. Gay marriage isn't especially popular in the black community -- especially the religious black community. Probably why Obama was hesitant to support it at first.

I do think this was done to force Romney into an uncomfortable position -- either alienate the tea party base that is already skeptical of him -- or alienate moderates, whom he is trying to court. I don't really think it has anything to do with Obama's campaign. He'd do this whether he was having troubles or not. It's a pretty decent political move to force Romney into a corner.
    Distribution of wealth is not in any way democratic. It is, in fact, tyrannical, in that a very select few own almost all of it, while most have little to no access. To have a country that prioritizes wealth over individual rights is the antithesis of democracy.

I don't think Obama needs to worry about losing support in the black community to a guy whose religion only accepted black people when Brigham Young University's football and basketball teams stopped being competitive.

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post

With both VP Biden and Education Sec Arne Duncan both coming out in favor of gay marriage this week, along with the vote last night in North Carolina, I think he had to make a definitive statement or the issue would dog him in the press for a a while. Probably address it now rather than let it fester.
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    And he'd be right to do since Obama did nothing today but take a federalist, states right position.
    If you applied the President's statement today, the Loving's would still not be allowed to get married.
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Biden and Duncan's comments were ore planned I think. If was part of the overall strategy.

sub rosa is offline MotownSports Fan

let's assume shabba is wrong (which is often safe to do) that homosexuality is a choice that people make. or that he's wrong that it's a "disorder" like schizophrenia.

would it matter to those who oppose gay marriage if it's actually an imprint in your dna like your hair color, skin tone, left-handed, etc., rather than a "choice" or "disorder?"
    I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. —William Faulkner

I just heard something that made me laugh out loud on Red Eye.

Gavin Macinness: "Obama should marry Joe Biden, it would be a slap in the face of the voters...."'hey voters, wake up!'"

That show is about as gay friendly as you'll see on FoxNews so everyone laughed at the non-sequitor.

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

i guess this is proof that Obama is not a muslim. if there's any group that hates gays more than christians, it's muslims...
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

sub rosa is offline MotownSports Fan

guess you had to be there...
    I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. —William Faulkner

I'm very glad that Obama finally came to this decision. However...

I'm not going to say that this is a great thing for him. I agree with the OP. He always believed this, and failed to lead since he flip-flopped to some "centrist" position on this issue. Don't dig that. No credit for doing what you're supposed to do.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast