Page 6 of 81 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Trayvon Martin

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    That written, it isn't a citizen's job to pursue and confront another who has not committed a crime simply because they look suspicious.
    I'm not saying it's his job, just saying he's not forbidden from it either. In this case, it appears clear cut, Zimmerman was some power hungry guy with a gun that killed an innocent kid. That doesn't mean everyone should simply report suspicious activity to the police and walk away. Just saying there can be some common sense put in place. Unfortunately Zimmerman doesn't have that, but I don't think you should bar everyone that has common sense from keeping their neighborhood safe.

Another example would be seeing someone actually commit a crime. If my wife came upon someone getting raped, I'd tell her to run away and call the police. If a guy came upon someone getting raped and did not do something to stop it right away, he better have some very good explanation for me not to think less of him. Guess i'm just saying there are circumstances that warrant approaching someone regardless if you think it's just suspicious or you're actually seeing something.
    VT

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

I also want to point out I was hoodie profiled jogging one night by the police. They didn't do anything different than I would expect a normal person would do in terms of just confirm I wasn't a threat, they started a conversation with me. A quick conversation resulted in them telling me to have a good night.

This zimmerman guy knew there was going to be trouble when he approached this kid. I don't think he expected to shoot him, but he expected trouble and called the police to cover his ***.
    VT

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ewsieg View Post
    I also want to point out I was hoodie profiled jogging one night by the police. They didn't do anything different than I would expect a normal person would do in terms of just confirm I wasn't a threat, they started a conversation with me. A quick conversation resulted in them telling me to have a good night.

This zimmerman guy knew there was going to be trouble when he approached this kid. I don't think he expected to shoot him, but he expected trouble and called the police to cover his ***.
    Right, both paragraphs.

One important difference re your encounter with the police was that you knew who they were because they were in a squad car and wearing uniforms. I have to say that if I was walking somewhere and an unshaven, large man pulled over his SUV then started following me, I'd be scared!

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    You want to defend Sharpton go ahead. You think that's the extent of his ranting? That it needs to be edited?

He's a bona fide bigot and whore. Makes Limbaugh look like Tim Russert. Apparantly MSNBC thinks he fits right in with them.
    Sharpton makes Limbaugh look tame? Seriously? What did Sharpton say that far and away exceeds the level of Rush Limbaugh calling a specific person, a private citizen, a slut and a prostitute? Or telling a black caller to call back when she gets the bone out of her nose? Or Limbaugh saying that NFL games look like a war between the Bloods and the Crips? Or that the NAACP should buy a liquor store and practice robberies?

Seems to me that Al Sharpton has basically been controversy-free for years now, possibly decades -- beyond basically staying alive. He'll never live down Tawana Brawley, and rightly so, because he was duped. That's on him, for sure. I'm not aware of recent incidents. Feel free to point some out. The video doesn't provide dates for these statements.

On the other hand, Rush Limbaugh can't seem to go an entire day without publicly disparaging somebody's heritage. I don't think you can't seriously equate the two, let alone maintain that Limbaugh's rotten behavior is basically nothing compared to Al Sharpton.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Right, both paragraphs.

One important difference re your encounter with the police was that you knew who they were because they were in a squad car and wearing uniforms. I have to say that if I was walking somewhere and an unshaven, large man pulled over his SUV then started following me, I'd be scared!
    Especially in Florida. I mean, wasn't 2/3rds of the "To Catch A Predator" filmed in Florida?

Trayvon didn't know if this guy was a cop, a pervy or a Penn State coach doing some special "recruiting".
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    W/O reviewing the last couple of pages, it reads like you are asking about the spokesperson for the New Black Panthers. If so, I have not seen the statement in print. This was at a 5 PM press conference covered by our local NBC affiliate in which an attorney for the Martins spooke and introduced sharpton. I sort of turned off on him and suddenly there was this spokesperson ranting his vigilante rhetoric. Interesting, it was not replayed at 11 PM.
    OK, well, with all respect due to you, I am going to conclude that this statement was not actually said. I think had these exact words been said, it would have been all over the media -- despite the liberal media elite's agenda to shield from their sycophantic audience's sensitive ears any controversial statements made by black power henchmen.

I did see the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" poster, though -- I thought it was interesting that they used Trayvon Martin's picture on the poster instead of the killer's picture. I wonder what the thinking behind that was?

Interesting article in the Tribune today about how African America parents have to have a special conversation with their sons about how to avoid certain social situation and potential pitfalls, unique to their simply being black. I don't think any of us who are white can ever really understand what it means to have to do this.

Black parents live with the fear their son could be a Trayvon Martin - chicagotribune.com

What black parents tell their sons

Trayvon Martin's killing confirms worst fears

By Dahleen Glanton, Chicago Tribune reporter

March 24, 2012

When their son was about to enter his teens, Paul and Jeanne Miller, of Flossmoor, decided it was time to have the talk.

Because you are an African-American male, they told him, some people will make judgments about you and view you with suspicion based solely on your race.

Recently, as Jeremy, 16, was preparing to get his driver's license, his father told him what to do if he were ever stopped by police: Keep your hands visible on the steering wheel at all times.

And when he asked to take part in Assassins, a popular suburban game in which teens stalk each other with airsoft guns, his parents' answer was an unequivocal no, lest someone mistake the toy that fires plastic pellets for a real weapon.

The story of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin's death in Sanford, Fla., a suburb of Orlando, has struck a particularly sensitive chord with African-American parents such as the Millers, many of whom said they live with a nagging fear that their teenage boys could be harassed or attacked.

"We live in a fairly affluent interracial neighborhood with fantastic people who don't see color, but I know there are people out there who do," said Paul Miller. "I constantly tell him, 'Don't forget you're black.' I don't want him to run into that guy who does see color one day when he's walking down the street."

Martin was shot to death last month by a man on a neighborhood watch patrol who confronted the African-American teenager because he thought he looked suspicious in the gated community. Martin, who was unarmed, was walking back to his father's house after going to the store for a can of tea and candy.

George Zimmerman claimed he acted in self-defense when he shot Martin and was not charged in the shooting, prompting protests across the country, including two Friday in Chicago and one scheduled for noon Saturday at Daley Plaza.

The case once again placed a spotlight on race in America and forced discussions about the negative perceptions some people have regarding African-American men. The recurring theme at many of the rallies has been that Martin could have been the son of any African-American.

On Friday, President Barack Obama weighed in, saying, "If I had a son, he'd look like Trayvon."

"When I think about this boy, I think about my own kids," Obama said. "And I think every parent in America should be able to understand why it is absolutely imperative that we investigate every aspect of this, and that everybody pulls together — federal, state and local — to figure out exactly how this tragedy happened."

With the election of Obama four years ago, some people mistakenly believe America is now a post-racial country, according to Cathy Cohen, a political science professor at the University of Chicago. But many young black men remain targets of racism that still exists, she said.

"The reality is that many Americans ... perceive young black men to be 'suspicious' individuals who will rob them, confront them and carry a firearm to threaten their safety, independent of whether it is true or not," said Cohen.

"Young black men go through the world being harassed, watched and stereotyped. They live with that every day, and far too many of us have ignored their reality," she said.

Marguerite Alston, of Chicago Heights, said she rarely allows her 16-year-old son, Michael, to walk home from school, but when he does, she insists that he goes with a group.

"At least there is another set of eyes if there's a problem," she said. "Someone can go and get help."

Sometimes, however, she worries when her son asks to go to a mall with a group of African-American boys, fearing that they could be accused of making trouble even if they are not.

"I know they are good kids, but it's like a red flag goes up in people's mind when they see a group of black boys," said Alston. "The first thing they think about is what they see on the news or what they've heard about. And just that quickly, something could go wrong."

Michael said he is familiar with the suspicious look to which his mother is referring.

"Sometimes when you are in certain areas that don't have a lot of black young men around, people might watch you a little more, and it can be uncomfortable," he said. "It makes me feel like I don't belong there. Not necessarily scared, but it makes me feel out of place."

Alston and her husband, Jeff, started talking to their son when he was a preteen. Growing up, Alston's five brothers had the same conversations with their mother, who stressed the importance of telling Alston's son how to avoid racially charged confrontations, Alston said.

African-American men long have claimed that they are unfairly harassed by police while driving, particularly in predominantly white neighborhoods. It has become so common that it is referred to as "driving while black."

There are tools their children can use to lessen the chances that a routine police stop could escalate into violence, they said, but there is no way to prepare them for situations such as the one that left Martin, who was wearing a hoodie and talking on a cellphone, dead.

"I have a group of kids who get stopped just walking down the street. Their pants are not even hanging off their behind. They don't have on any hoodies. They're just going through everyday life," said Cecil Reddit, who mentors teenage boys and facilitates a fathers support group for Family Focus Lawndale.

The challenge for many parents is how to prepare the boys without frightening them or making them feel their parents are being overly protective. It is also important, they said, not to make them feel as though they are less important than anyone else.

"I get very angry about this because, as Americans, we are all men," said Reddit. "We should be able to live the same way everyone else is doing and not be targeted for these types of things, but it is reality."

Jocilyn Floyd, a single mother raising a 7-year-old son in the West Chesterfield neighborhood on the South Side, said she already has begun teaching him to understand what it means to be African-American, though he is fair-skinned with green eyes and sandy brown hair.

"He is just black enough but not white enough," said Floyd, adding that her son's father is half Italian. "I'm trying to get him to understand that he can't follow along with everybody. He can't get into trouble like some kids and that you have to be careful that you're not pegged the kid with bad behavior."

To keep him grounded, she said, she has enrolled him in a private Afrocentric school, which she hopes will give him more self-esteem. But she acknowledges that how people perceive him is out of her hands.

"My concern for my son would be that, by perception or ignorance, that he could easily be a victim of an incident just like Trayvon if he's in the wrong place at the wrong time," said Floyd. "There is no way to prepare him for walking down the street while being black. When he gets older, I can guarantee you there will be a part of me that will be terrified and praying every day."

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    Sharpton makes Limbaugh look tame? Seriously? What did Sharpton say that far and away exceeds the level of Rush Limbaugh calling a specific person, a private citizen, a slut and a prostitute? Or telling a black caller to call back when she gets the bone out of her nose? Or Limbaugh saying that NFL games look like a war between the Bloods and the Crips? Or that the NAACP should buy a liquor store and practice robberies?

Seems to me that Al Sharpton has basically been controversy-free for years now, possibly decades -- beyond basically staying alive. He'll never live down Tawana Brawley, and rightly so, because he was duped. That's on him, for sure. I'm not aware of recent incidents. Feel free to point some out. The video doesn't provide dates for these statements.

On the other hand, Rush Limbaugh can't seem to go an entire day without publicly disparaging somebody's heritage. I don't think you can't seriously equate the two, let alone maintain that Limbaugh's rotten behavior is basically nothing compared to Al Sharpton.
    And another large difference is that Sharpton actually seems capable of growth, 'repentance' if you will after a misstep- for example:

Comments on gays

Sharpton was quoted as saying to an audience at Kean College in 1994 that, “White folks was [sic] in caves while we was building empires.... We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.”[57] Sharpton defended his comments by noting that the term "homo" was not homophobic but added that he no longer uses the term.[58] Sharpton has since called for an end to homophobia in the African-American community.[59]
    Comments on Mormons

During 2007, Sharpton was accused of bigotry for comments he made on May 7, 2007, concerning presidential candidate Mitt Romney and his religion, Mormonism:
    "As for the one Mormon running for office, those who really believe in God will defeat him anyways, so don't worry about that; that's a temporary situation."[60][61] In response, a representative for Romney told reporters that "bigotry toward anyone because of their beliefs is unacceptable."[62] The Catholic League compared Sharpton to Don Imus, and said that his remarks "should finish his career".[63]
    On May 9, during an interview on Paula Zahn NOW, Sharpton said that his views on Mormonism were based on the "Mormon Church's traditionally racist views regarding blacks" and its interpretation of the so-called "Curse of Ham".[64] On May 10, Sharpton called two apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and apologized to them for his remarks and asked to meet with them.[65] A spokesman for the Church confirmed that Sharpton had called and said that "we appreciate it very much, Rev. Sharpton's call, and we consider the matter closed."[66] He also apologized to "any member of the Mormon church" who was offended by his comments.[66] Later that month, Sharpton went to Salt Lake City, Utah, where he met with Elder M. Russell Ballard, a leader of the Church, and Elder Robert C. Oaks of the Church's Presidency of the Seventy.[67][68]
    On the other hand, when ole' Rush gets in a hole, his usual response is to just double down and keep digging.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-24-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

ROMAD1 is offline MotownSports Fan

without getting into the entire Al Sharpton catalog of life events...one thing that is amusing is that he was one of the loudest voices during the Bernard Goetz affair. Except at that time Goetz was celebrated by a certain mass of the citizenry who identified with him as a Charles Bronson-like character...albeit a nerdy one. This earlier event was a tipping point for a wave of manufactured outrage for both sides.

And, I got an Airman of the Month award during my Air Force basic training for knowing the specific charges he was convicted on...illegal possession of a firearm.

Titus Tiger is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Listening to the 911, Zimmerman is told NOT to follow the kid....

I find it a little contemptible that Newt thought it was disgraceful that the President would consol the parents or identify with what he would think if his daughters had been harmed and how he could pitcher Trayvon as his son.. sad... really sad

Newt Gingrich: Obama's Trayvon Martin Statement 'Disgraceful'
    http://is.gd/lZwA
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 ATT Paws
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

I sense this still has new layers

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Tiger View Post
    Listening to the 911, Zimmerman is told NOT to follow the kid....

I find it a little contemptible that Newt thought it was disgraceful that the President would consol the parents or identify with what he would think if his daughters had been harmed and how he could pitcher Trayvon as his son.. sad... really sad

Newt Gingrich: Obama's Trayvon Martin Statement 'Disgraceful'

You have to understand - Angry Redneck Guy is the only audience Newt has left and he needs to pander hard to that audience.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not saying it's his job, just saying he's not forbidden from it either.
    I'd say when the cops specifically tell you not to pursue and they are on the way, you have no business pursuing.

Even absent the phone call to the cops, it is simply isn't a good idea to pursue and confront a stranger because they look suspicious. How likely is it that doing so is going to prevent a crime compared against the negative possibility of an altercation?

Unfortunately Zimmerman doesn't have that, but I don't think you should bar everyone that has common sense from keeping their neighborhood safe.
    Is someone suggesting that we should bar people with common sense from keeping neighborhood watches?

Another example would be seeing someone actually commit a crime. If my wife came upon someone getting raped, I'd tell her to run away and call the police. If a guy came upon someone getting raped and did not do something to stop it right away, he better have some very good explanation for me not to think less of him. Guess i'm just saying there are circumstances that warrant approaching someone regardless if you think it's just suspicious or you're actually seeing something.
    I made a point of specifically stating, "it isn't a citizen's job to pursue and confront another who has not committed a crime" for that reason.

I think most would agree it is not unacceptable behavior for a citizen to try to stop a guy from assaulting a woman.

If the secret witness testimony of "John" is accurate and not some red herring, it changes a lot of the dynamic. If Zimmerman and Martin were indeed in an actual punches thrown fight...it is odd that Zimmerman could then draw on him. Supposedly "John" says that Zimmerman's face was beaten to a bloody pulp from this fight and it was this basis that the cops let him off.

Quote Originally Posted by ROMAD1 View Post
    If the secret witness testimony of "John" is accurate and not some red herring, it changes a lot of the dynamic. If Zimmerman and Martin were indeed in an actual punches thrown fight...it is odd that Zimmerman could then draw on him. Supposedly "John" says that Zimmerman's face was beaten to a bloody pulp from this fight and it was this basis that the cops let him off.
    That's what I mean about the cops not doing their job. Just because you got your *** whipped doesn't mean you didn't start the fight. When this happens in the movies (dumb *** picks a fight and gets whooped) the audience usually cheers right? Not so the Sanford PD I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    That's what I mean about the cops not doing their job. Just because you got your *** whipped doesn't mean you didn't start the fight. When this happens in the movies (dumb *** picks a fight and gets whooped) the audience usually cheers right? Not so the Sanford PD I guess.
    Changes the story from cold blooded gunning down of an angelic innocent too.

that is what I've always figured happened. Zimmerman, either by verbal challenge or an attempt to physically restrain Martin, precipitated an altercation, and probably in the heat of adrenaline and fury at being dumped on his behind drew on the kid. I still see it as Zimmerman's responsibility no matter how you cut it - but no question we shouldn't assume capital murder by any means. More as I said before - a tragic situation but one that didn't have to become a political crisis. It took the Cops and prosecutors to produce that.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 03-24-2012 at 02:34 PM.

Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

It would change that dynamic quite a bit but it still doesn't let him off the hook.

In some way I hope that's not a credible story because I fear we could see some nasty **** come about if this guy is charged with anything less than 2nd degree murder.

Imagine this scenario:

Zimmerman: "Hey! What are you doing?"

Martin: "What? Just going for a walk. Leave me alone."

Zimmerman: "It's raining..... "

"Martin: "So. Mind your own business."

Zimemrman: "Punk..... " walks away

Martin: "What did you call me? Hey... what did you say?"

Zimmerman: "You are an *******."

Martin: "**** you.... who the **** do you think you are?"

Zimmerman: "Go home ******..."

then at that point there's a fight, Martin gets the upper hand in the fight, Zimmerman feels threatened, and shoots him.

Nah... after thinking about it I don't think it changes the dynamic all that much. Even if Martin beat him up or whatever, he still shoudln't have been bothered to begin with and I'm not going to fault a 16 year old kid for not making the right decision. And further it still doesn't warrant getting shot in the chest.

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

It wasn't some unknown secret witness. What this guy saw was mentioned in the article I linked in the original post. Some video of him telling what he saw was on the news last night, although it's unclear whether the video was taken before or after this became such a national matter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    You have to understand - Angry Redneck Guy is the only audience Newt has left and he needs to pander hard to that audience.
    I know Newt is an idiot and down and out... but isn't he suppose to be the GOP intellectual?
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    It would change that dynamic quite a bit but it still doesn't let him off the hook.

In some way I hope that's not a credible story because I fear we could see some nasty **** come about if this guy is charged with anything less than 2nd degree murder.

Imagine this scenario:

Zimmerman: "Hey! What are you doing?"

Martin: "What? Just going for a walk. Leave me alone."

Zimmerman: "It's raining..... "

"Martin: "So. Mind your own business."

Zimemrman: "Punk..... " walks away

Martin: "What did you call me? Hey... what did you say?"

Zimmerman: "You are an *******."

Martin: "**** you.... who the **** do you think you are?"

Zimmerman: "Go home ******..."

then at that point there's a fight, Martin gets the upper hand in the fight, Zimmerman feels threatened, and shoots him.

Nah... after thinking about it I don't think it changes the dynamic all that much. Even if Martin beat him up or whatever, he still shoudln't have been bothered to begin with and I'm not going to fault a 16 year old kid for not making the right decision. And further it still doesn't warrant getting shot in the chest.

This is good, it is kind of hard to draw this up so Zimmerman has some kind of correctness here. Especially after 911 tells him to back away and wait for the police who are on the way.

If you give Zimmerman no room for doubt, you have to assume he acted like he did because: 1) he knew he would have police back up and 2) he wanted to pull some crap while he had a chance
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

Blog Entries

perhaps, but why not wait for the police.

Some of this is that I am not as confrontational as Zimmerman appears to be... but if I called 911 and told them there was a suspicious person in my neighborhood and was told an officer was on the way and NOT to keep following the guy... I won't get my hands dirty in a confrontation.

not sure why Trayvon had to be an angel to not be shot... lot of dead people if you need wings to not get shot
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

This is good, it is kind of hard to draw this up so Zimmerman has some kind of correctness here. Especially after 911 tells him to back away and wait for the police who are on the way.

If you give Zimmerman no room for doubt, you have to assume he acted like he did because: 1) he knew he would have police back up and 2) he wanted to pull some crap while he had a chance
    For that matter, another scenario that puts an even worse spin on it for Zimmerman is that they fought, Martin prevailed, and when Zimmerman realized he could not keep Martin there until the police came, in an "I've got to be the COP here" fantasy he shot him - that actually would pretty much elevate it back to 1st degree in my book - as it involves a clear formation of intent. All stuff we don't know but that a reasonable investigation at the scene might have had the best chance of determining.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    For that matter, another scenario that puts an even worse spin on it for Zimmerman is that they fought, Martin prevailed, and when Zimmerman realized he could not keep Martin there until the police came, in an "I've got to be the COP here" fantasy he shot him - that actually would pretty much elevate it back to 1st degree in my book - as it involves a clear formation of intent. All stuff we don't know but that a reasonable investigation at the scene might have had the best chance of determining.
    The last sentence is key to me. A scenario could be the kid grabbed Zimmerman's gun and to save himself Zimmer had to wrestle it back and it was an accident.

but I get a sense there wasn't much of an investigation
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

Vonlenska is offline MotownSports Fan

good luck proving anything against this guy.
    2003 Tigers = 2010 Tigers
    2012 AAT: Josue Carreno 0-2, 3.30 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, 2.4 BB/9, 7.8 K/9

The last sentence is key to me. A scenario could be the kid grabbed Zimmerman's gun and to save himself Zimmer had to wrestle it back and it was an accident.

but I get a sense there wasn't much of an investigation
    That would still be Negligent Homicide or Involuntary Manslaughter since he brought the gun. He has to be responsbile for this kid's death. If Zimmerman hadn't approached the kid (against the police's advice), the kid wouldn't be dead now.

Spent the last couple hours in and out on the Mad Dog radio show listening to them on this. Skewering the Miami Heat for the show of political hoodicorrectness. They played all the 911 calls where the eyewitness describe the fight and the screaming. Then the gunshot.

Lots of calls from cops to the show that there are countless black on black murders that do not have Sharpton and Jackson, Granholm and the rest of the ever lovin Liberal world down making a show. Zimmerman deserves justice but he will be hard pressed to get it. Actual justice that is.

addendum: They say they read an e-mail to ESPN employees that stipulated that they were not to mention this story at all on social media.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

OK, well, with all respect due to you, I am going to conclude that this statement was not actually said. I think had these exact words been said, it would have been all over the media -- despite the liberal media elite's agenda to shield from their sycophantic audience's sensitive ears any controversial statements made by black power henchmen.

I did see the "Wanted Dead Or Alive" poster, though -- I thought it was interesting that they used Trayvon Martin's picture on the poster instead of the killer's picture. I wonder what the thinking behind that was?
    What I placed in quotes was what I watched and listened to on the news. Take it, or as you have done, leave it.

Edit: I was going to let this ride, but have to comment Chasfh. You suggest I fabricated this statement. This perception causes me disappointment about someone I respect, but to put it in print publically quite angers me. Note I somehow still respected your last request even though I have no reason any longer to do so.
    Last edited by hueytaxi; 03-24-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

This is beginning to feel like a case I can't see ending well for anybody.
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Spent the last couple hours in and out on the Mad Dog radio show listening to them on this. Skewering the Miami Heat for the show of political hoodicorrectness. They played all the 911 calls where the eyewitness describe the fight and the screaming. Then the gunshot.

Lots of calls from cops to the show that there are countless black on black murders that do not have Sharpton and Jackson, Granholm and the rest of the ever lovin Liberal world down making a show. Zimmerman deserves justice but he will be hard pressed to get it. Actual justice that is.

addendum: They say they read an e-mail to ESPN employees that stipulated that they were not to mention this story at all on social media.
    Personally, I find the amount of black on black violence to be appalling...and I think that belief is held by many as evidenced by groups like Detroit 300. What is being conveniently left out is the fact that those murders do not evolve around a law that let's people murder other people and get away with it. That is what much of the hysteria is about.
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

What I placed in quotes was what I watched and listened to on the news. Take it, or as you have done, leave it.

Edit: I was going to let this ride, but have to comment Chasfh. You suggest I fabricated this statement. This perception causes me disappointment about someone I respect, but to put it in print publically quite angers me. Note I somehow still respected your last request even though I have no reason any longer to do so.
    The ironic thing is that I originally was going to say that I thought perhaps you might have mischaracterized the quote -- meaning perhaps you heard something said but then replayed it slightly differently -- but I thought you would have taken specific offense to that, so I dumped it. Instead, saying nothing about it either way, you assume I'm accusing you of lying.

huey, I couldn't possibly have any idea what it was you heard, exactly. All I know is that I see no quotes from anyone in that black panther club matching what you quoted, and I looked around really hard. I take quotes very seriously, and the quote you offered up was really incendiary. It worries me when quotes that may not have been made "as is" get repeated and taken at face value. Nothing serious would ever come of that here among our tightknit little group, but out in the real world, mischaracterized statements offered up as quotes that spread can lead to really ugly consequences.

Maybe I'm more sensitive to that than most. Anyway, that's why I flag that kind of thing. It's nothing personal. It never was. Fair warning, I'll probably flag that kind of thing again, regardless of who says it or from what side of the spectrum. Not always, but when it feels necessary to me. I get that it's not an endearing quality, but when important matters are being discussed, quotes and sourcing are things I feel strongly about. And I welcome you or anyone else to challenge me on that point when you see fit.
    Last edited by chasfh; 03-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.

This has become the funeral of Paul Wellstone...an orgy of a liberal pep rally that won't end well for the Left. And you on the Left know that.

Mainly because most common people, the ones who vote...follow the Costanza rule wrt to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton...do the opposite.
    Last edited by ROMAD1; 03-24-2012 at 10:53 PM.

The Wellstone tragedy led Mondale to become the first guy to lose an election in all 50 states.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

So what does Zimmerman do at this point? If he is indicted, should he release a statement? The Sanford police recorded his original statement(s?), so that is public record. Should he add anything in his defense or allow prosecution to prove their case if there is one?
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

So what does Zimmerman do at this point? If he is indicted, should he release a statement? The Sanford police recorded his original statement(s?), so that is public record. Should he add anything in his defense or allow prosecution to prove their case if there is one?
    I would think his defense team needs to be extremely careful that they not do anything that the prosecution could construe as trying to work the jury pool as it might end up resulting in a change of venue to somewhere much less disposed to armed neighborhood watch groups than suburban Orlando - esp if the Feds end up doing the prosecuting.

The 'reward' poster put out by the NBPP read: “WANTED!!! For the murder of Trayvon Martin… ALIVE, not dead or harmed,”

which makes it a bit more rhetorical than Marshall Jed Cooper style.

Group offers $10,000 for US black teen's killer - Yahoo! News

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

This has become the funeral of Paul Wellstone...an orgy of a liberal pep rally that won't end well for the Left. And you on the Left know that.

Mainly because most common people, the ones who vote...follow the Costanza rule wrt to Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton...do the opposite.
    I believe I'd characterize myself as more to the left .... maybe left centrist.
    I have no ****ing idea what this means.
    Explain it to stupid me, because I can't for the life of me figure out how Wellstone's situation equates to the death of this kid, and why "LEFT" people (who evidentally should never be considered "common people" according to you), should be thinking this won't end well for "US".

If you would, please forgive my ignorance and explain it to me.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Forget it.
    Don't bother.

I'm out of here for a while.
    I just can't take labeling and negativity anymore.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Quote Originally Posted by smr-nj View Post
    I believe I'd characterize myself as more to the left .... maybe left centrist.
    I have no ****ing idea what this means.
    Explain it to stupid me, because I can't for the life of me figure out how Wellstone's situation equates to the death of this kid, and why "LEFT" people (who evidentally should never be considered "common people" according to you), should be thinking this won't end well for "US".

If you would, please forgive my ignorance and explain it to me.
    I would but you left in a fit of pique..

Page 6 of 81 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast