Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sub rosa is offline MotownSports Fan

Donald Trump has emerged in recent years as the nation's foremost China basher, going after the Asian superpower for undervaluing its currency and for taking American manufacturing and jobs. So it's at least ironic -- and at most an example of gross hypocrisy -- that Trump's own line of men's wear, the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection, is manufactured in China.

more: China-bashing Trump's clothing line made in China - Donald Trump - Salon.com
    I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. —William Faulkner

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Awesome! Shuddup Trump.
    VT Twitter

I love the smell of Red Bull in the morning.

DetroitCity313 is offline MotownSports Fan

I heard Trump say in an interview that he has made a lot of money from China. At the same time, the guy promotes globalization and free trade. How the hell does he then say we need to "bring jobs back to America" when companies like his took jobs away from America?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitCity313 View Post
    I heard Trump say in an interview that he has made a lot of money from China. At the same time, the guy promotes globalization and free trade. How the hell does he then say we need to "bring jobs back to America" when companies like his took jobs away from America?

I feel icky for defending Trump but here goes:

It happens so they can compete. If they can't stay competitive then the jobs would disappear anyway when the businesses close.

If you want businesses to bring jobs back to the US then the tax compliance burden needs to be altered.

Out of one side of their mouths, people criticize businesses for not "paying" enough in taxes and then out of the the other side of their mouths will criticize businesses for shipping jobs overseas so that they can comply with their tax burden.
    VT Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    I feel icky for defending Trump but here goes:

It happens so they can compete. If they can't stay competitive then the jobs would disappear anyway when the businesses close.

If you want businesses to bring jobs back to the US then the tax compliance burden needs to be altered.

Out of one side of their mouths, people criticize businesses for not "paying" enough in taxes and then out of the the other side of their mouths will criticize businesses for shipping jobs overseas so that they can comply with their tax burden.
    You would have to lower the tax code but also pay next to nothing to employees in order to compete with the countries big corporations outsource to. We can only compete if we pay well below a livable wage (like $3/hour).

You would have to lower the tax code but also pay next to nothing to employees in order to compete with the countries big corporations outsource to. We can only compete if we pay well below a livable wage (like $3/hour).
    Why do you think that is?
    VT Twitter

Lower the tax burden all you want but some places overseas have literally no tax burden on businesses. To top it off, they would have to pay next to nothing for the employees overseas. The labor costs are much more here than in a place like Indonesia. To compete we would have to drastically lower the tax burden and abolish all unions/labor standards.

Lower the tax burden all you want but some places overseas have literally no tax burden on businesses. To top it off, they would have to pay next to nothing for the employees overseas. The labor costs are much more here than in a place like Indonesia. To compete we would have to drastically lower the tax burden and abolish all unions/labor standards.
    You didn't really answer my question.
    VT Twitter

You didn't really answer my question.
    Please re-phrase your question. Seemed to me you were asking why I think we would have to pay so little to employees in order to compete.

Please re-phrase your question. Seemed to me you were asking why I think we would have to pay so little to employees in order to compete.
    More or less, yes that is what I am asking. What factors do you think go into a company's overhead that would justify what you believe with regards to lowering compensatory packages?
    VT Twitter

More or less, yes that is what I am asking. What factors do you think go into a company's overhead that would justify what you believe with regards to lowering compensatory packages?
    It is common sense. Labor costs less overseas because there are less labor standards/less unionization/no minimum wage/people desparate for work. And lowering the tax burden doesn't solve everything because many of these countries provide NO tax burden. Companies will generally go with the place with no tax burden/no labor standards because it is cheaper for them and results in a greater profit.

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

Rand Paul wants proof of Trump’s GOP cred – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

Washington (CNN) – While real estate mogul Donald Trump continues to raise doubt over Obama's presidential credentials, Republican Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky questioned Trump's legitimacy, not as an American, but as a Republican.
    Speaking at a Merrimack County Republican Committee fundraiser on Thursday in Concord, New Hampshire, Paul said, "I've come to New Hampshire today because I'm very concerned. I want to see the original long-form certificate of Donald Trump's Republican registration."
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

He's better off without GOP cred.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by eastside billee View Post
    Doing what? Community organizer?
    Lawyer for Acorn.

That's pretty funny. I wouldn't have guessed he had it in him!

It is common sense. Labor costs less overseas because there are less labor standards/less unionization/no minimum wage/people desparate for work.
    Again, I think you're trying to answer but you're really not answering (not on purpose mind you). You're telling me the advantages of shipping jobs overseas.

What barriers could be lifted in the United States to have companies keep the jobs in the United States?

And lowering the tax burden doesn't solve everything because many of these countries provide NO tax burden. Companies will generally go with the place with no tax burden/no labor standards because it is cheaper for them and results in a greater profit.
    Please don't answer this with "search for it yourself" because that's cheap: What countries where US jobs go have "NO tax burden"?
    VT Twitter

Boilerfan is offline MotownSports Fan

Trump is clueless

Full Video of Donald Trump’s Press Conference – April 27, 2011|Yes, But, However!

At about 17 minute mark Trump says:

This is interesting Libya because the Arab League which is Saudi Arabia and many of the wealthiest nations in the world, told us to go in and take out Gadafi. Now, if they would a said that to me, I would have said $5 Billion dollars right now. Ya know what, just for the question they would have given you all of that money they would have paid it in 2 seconds.
    Is it me or is he advertising for the US to be the worlds hitman?
    I'll panic if my kid flunks math.- Jim Leyland

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

He just wants attention.

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Trump is clueless and he wants attention.

Rush had a fun commentary though, the other day where he ran something Trump said, for example how OPEC is killing us at the pumps and we have to go to them and get them to stop. Then followed it up with commentary from the media pointing out that Trump's opinion is not well thought out, Obama can't just go to OPEC, and what are the real issues causing high oil prices. Then he would grab a clip from a democrat in the past. In the above example he used Kerry, talking about how Bush Jr. is running up the price of oil and how we need a prez (obama) that would stand up to OPEC.
    VT

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ewsieg View Post
    Trump is clueless and he wants attention.

Rush had a fun commentary though, the other day where he ran something Trump said, for example how OPEC is killing us at the pumps and we have to go to them and get them to stop. Then followed it up with commentary from the media pointing out that Trump's opinion is not well thought out, Obama can't just go to OPEC, and what are the real issues causing high oil prices. Then he would grab a clip from a democrat in the past. In the above example he used Kerry, talking about how Bush Jr. is running up the price of oil and how we need a prez (obama) that would stand up to OPEC.
    the media contradicted a Democrat?

*shocking*

I don't really see the issue with this. It's not a contradiction unless you buy the myth of the liberal media.

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by pfife View Post
    the media contradicted a Democrat?

*shocking*

I don't really see the issue with this. It's not a contradiction unless you buy the myth of the liberal media.
    not sure where you're going with this. I never heard the media laugh off the democrats when they trumped up charges that oil prices were rising because Bush wanted to line the companies of his friends, including the Saudi's.

Now that Obama is in charge and oil is going up, he gives the same line Bush gave before, something along the lines of "it's more complicated than that and you really need to understand the full economic model..blah blah blah." Of which, he has a valid point, and a much more reasonable point than Trump.

I'm not saying the republicans never do this to, it's politics at it's finest. I do find it odd that the media, instead of just reporting what Trump is saying, is so quick to defend Obama. Of course I believe in the liberal media.
    VT

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

sorry dude I either misunderstood or still don't understand your point.

When Trump says something populist but ignorant, the media takes the effort to point it out as being ignorant. When Kerry says something populist but ignorant, the media doesn't.

sinister porpoise is offline MotownSports Fan

When Donald Trump Didn’t Need Proof | The Agitator
    In 1989 Donald Trump took out a full page ad in four New York City newspapers calling for the execution of the alleged rapists in the infamous Central Park Jogger case. Never mind that the five alleged assailants were all minors, or that rape wasn't a capital crime. There was a moral panic to be stoked....

If Trump had his way, all of the Central Park Five would have been dead by 2002. That's the year Matias Reyes, already in prison for rape and murder, confessed to the crime, and insisted he acted alone. DNA tests had already confirmed that only one person raped victim Trisha Meili. Further testing showed Reyes was that person. Manhattan District Attorney Robert Morganthou later vacated the convictions of the other five suspects, all of whom had already served their sentences for the attack.
    Santana was 14 years old at the time. He says Trump’s call for the “death penalty” helped fuel the media firestorm before the suspects even went to trial.

“It says a lot about his character. If he can give the death penalty to 14-year-old, 15-year-old kids then there’s nothing he would not do. Those are characteristics of a tyrant, not characteristics of a president,” Santana said.

Santana served seven years in prison in connection with the rape and beating of Trisha Meili.

Auburndale Ray is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It appears that Trump is having a lot of fun...
    Some people are actually taking him seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    When Trump says something populist but ignorant, the media takes the effort to point it out as being ignorant. When Kerry says something populist but ignorant, the media doesn't.
    Not a big Kerry fan, but what example are you thinking of something he said as off the wall as the Trump Birther or Central Park stuff for instance? Really just curious - Like I said, not a Kerry fan but I'm drawing a blank on anything he said as a candidate that I remember as being that dumb, or are you including his immediate post Vietnam era?
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 04-30-2011 at 12:32 PM.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Donald Trump is a dirtbag.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sinister porpoise View Post
    Whoa - I've never heard that story before. That's horrible.
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    Not a big Kerry fan, but what example are you thinking of something he said as off the wall as the Trump Birther or Central Park stuff for instance? Really just curious - Like I said, not a Kerry fan but I'm drawing a blank on anything he said as a candidate that I remember at being that dumb, or are you including his immediate post Vietnam era?
    We're talking about Trump's proposal on gas prices, not the birthing or jogger stuff. I don't have an example, just following up on ewsieg's point that Kerry said something similar to Trump with regard to lowering gas prices. I don't know if he did or not, I'm assuming he did.

well it's a good thing nobody really takes Trump seriously. But the dems are trying their damnest to elevate him as the face of the opposition.

We're talking about Trump's proposal on gas prices, not the birthing or jogger stuff. I don't have an example, just following up on ewsieg's point that Kerry said something similar to Trump with regard to lowering gas prices. I don't know if he did or not, I'm assuming he did.
    Ah..Yes, similar, yet ewsieg's example also different in certian ways IMO, but rehashing the Bush years would be both boring and OT!

well it's a good thing nobody really takes Trump seriously. But the dems are trying their damnest to elevate him as the face of the opposition.
    It's not an illogical strategy though. They did they same thing in trying to put Rush out there as their main foil in the past. If you can force a party or candidate to have to distance themselves from some more outre part of their constituency, that certainly can have benefits in terms of sowing discord among the opposition. Whether it works in any given case - who know? You find out at the election.

Although in the current case, I think they do risk overplaying the hand. They might end up helping give some Repub the opportunity for a "Sister Souljah" moment WRT Trump.

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

He is polling as a leading Republican candidate. Even if Dems are just elevating him, that would theoretically just show how dumb the average Republican is to not know their candidate.
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

Titus Tiger is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    He is polling as a leading Republican candidate. Even if Dems are just elevating him, that would theoretically just show how dumb the average Republican is to not know their candidate.
    Lots of people poll well before they are actually a candidate...

I am trying to figure out the state of the GOP, There seems to be no candidate for 2012 and of the high polling non-candidates (Palin and Trump) they don't seem qualified, but that doesn't seem to be a problem with the republicans --- even those on this board (who I think of as more intelligent than the run of the mill republican).

The fact that Trump is probably as far from conservative ideology and it doesn't seem to bother anyone seems kind of funny.

I have to wonder, for the GOP as long as Obama loses in 2012 are they happy with anyone?
    http://is.gd/lZwA
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 ATT Paws
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynuts View Post
    That's because of his name recongition and nothing else. If they put Ronald McDonald or Adam Sandler on there they'd outpoll the others.

BTW, I think Sandler is a republican, along with Robert Smeigel so who knows.....

Titus Tiger is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

That's because of his name recongition and nothing else. If they put Ronald McDonald or Adam Sandler on there they'd outpoll the others.

BTW, I think Sandler is a republican, along with Robert Smeigel so who knows.....
    Or 'none of the above' It is kind of sad that most Americans are so disgusted with the political system they would vote for Ronald McDonald or a B actor
    http://is.gd/lZwA
    2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 & 2014 ATT Paws
    Welcome to
    ......what-if-sville

I wouldn't call Adam Sandler a B actor. He's one of the most bankable movie stars out there. He was also smart enough to recognize that and start his own production company.

Again, I think you're trying to answer but you're really not answering (not on purpose mind you). You're telling me the advantages of shipping jobs overseas.

What barriers could be lifted in the United States to have companies keep the jobs in the United States?

Please don't answer this with "search for it yourself" because that's cheap: What countries where US jobs go have "NO tax burden"?
    Jamaican Free Zones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Globalization as a result of NAFTA and other free tade agreements have pushed jobs out of America.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast