Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default The 2012 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Hey, if they can start now, why can't we?

So who tries it this time for the Republicans? And would anyone dare mount a primary challenge to Obama?

I see John Boehner "The Bone" is getting a lot of face time and visibility, I could see him making a run. And I'm guessing Mitt Romney tries again?
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 01-26-2010 at 03:47 PM.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

I am running for President in 2012. I know the secret code that will prevent the Mayan apocalypse.
    And I have a ticket for one of the arks just in case.
    AAT Joe Nathan
    Tigers-Cardinals 2014 WS. Book it.
    "The escalator isn't out of order. It's just temporarily stairs."

Mark The Shark is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Sue/Bleeding Eyes Picture 2012!
    2012 Adopted Tiger -- RHP Luis Marte

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Mark, get out of my head.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smr-nj View Post
    Mark, get out of my head.
    Jean-Luc Picard Facepalm for Secretary of State!

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Vote for change!!
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Vote for change!!
    The hell with change. He's a scumbag that only supports Nazis and puppy kicking.

I'm voting for hope!

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The Shark View Post

I'm voting for hope!
    There you go!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rick Perry make a run at it. He may be out of a job by then anyway; I guess we'll see. Kay has done a reasonably good job for us in Washington, but doesn't inspire me. At the moment, I'm watching our dark horse, Debra Medina in the GOP gubernatorial primary. She's really more Libertarian politically, campaigned for Ron Paul, etc. but seem to lack the derangement we often see in libertarian party candidates. Didn't know much about her, but she performed surprisingly well in the debates.

Who knows? If she turns out to be as advertised, she might be someone to watch for 2016.

belcherboy is offline MotownSports Fan

What do you think the odds are that Obama doesn't even run for re-election in 2012 or that he doesn't get the Democrat nomination? (I don't know if that has ever happened, and it is a LONG time from now, but could the Democrats give their nomination to someone else if Obama is viewed as another Jimmy Carter 2 years from now?)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by belcherboy View Post
    What do you think the odds are that Obama doesn't even run for re-election in 2012 or that he doesn't get the Democrat nomination? (I don't know if that has ever happened, and it is a LONG time from now, but could the Democrats give their nomination to someone else if Obama is viewed as another Jimmy Carter 2 years from now?)
    If the Dems get wiped out in November, I could see Hilary resigning and taking him on in the primaries in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark The Shark View Post
    If the Dems get wiped out in November, I could see Hilary resigning and taking him on in the primaries in 2012.
    Honestly, if Obama can't change anything over the next couple years, I could see the Democrats using Obama as they did Bush in the next presidential election. If they know there is a good chance that he will lose, throw him under the bus, and run as the "anti Obama". If the GOP doesn't have a strong candidate, than it could easily keep a Democrat as president.

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

0%
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    0%
    You think so? I see Hillary as being a STRONG candidate. I would think there is at least a 10-20% chance of it happening, but perhaps it is just one of those things that never happens.

I think if Obama thought he had a good chance of losing (the election or the Dem nomination) in early 2012, he will announce that he is going to step down at the end of his term.

I don't know, he is definitely still popular so he has a long way to go before he gets to that point!

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Newt Gingrich will make a run, & I thought Palin might. Now I'm not so sure. Depending on what happens this fall, I would expect that the GOP will make a hard push to get Bobby Jindal on the ticket.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Blog Entries

Good question! John Tyler maybe?
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Blog Entries

If Palin runs for POTUS, I'll take a bite right out of my shorts.
    VT

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

I think the best potential candidate for the GOP is Patreaus.
    I think Obama will run for re-election, most likely unchallenged in a primary - unless he tanks really badly.
    "dada's moustache is so awesome" - my 2 and a half year old daughter

Sparks4Ever is offline MotownSports Fan

Somebody will run to the far left of Obama in the primary, but it won't be a serious challenge. Hillary cannot defeat Obama in 2012, and her candidacy would severely undercut him in the general election. If she runs, it would only further prove how vindictive the Clintons are.

I have no idea if Petraeus would be a good candidate or not. He is still a political unknown, although he is popular with everyone except the far left (who are not voting GOP anyway). The GOP field still looks pretty weak.
    All Time AAT: Steve Sparks

You think so? I see Hillary as being a STRONG candidate. I would think there is at least a 10-20% chance of it happening, but perhaps it is just one of those things that never happens.

I think if Obama thought he had a good chance of losing (the election or the Dem nomination) in early 2012, he will announce that he is going to step down at the end of his term.

I don't know, he is definitely still popular so he has a long way to go before he gets to that point!
    Maybe a .000001% chance.

hell, never say never.

Quote Originally Posted by djhutch View Post
    Newt Gingrich will make a run, & I thought Palin might. Now I'm not so sure. Depending on what happens this fall, I would expect that the GOP will make a hard push to get Bobby Jindal on the ticket.
    I'd vote for Bobby Jindal in the GOP primary just to make him the nominee.

Palin has a much better chance of winning than Bobby Jindal or Newt Gingrich. Which should worry the GOP that those are their best candidates.

apabruce is offline MotownSports Fan

I wonder what the consensus in January 2006 would have been speculating about the 2008 election. Probably Hillary against Romney?
    Bruce

Mammals suck.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

The chances of Obama getting the Democratic nomination in 2012 is 100%, ± 0 points.

As for the Republican nomination, name everyone you can think of who is a likely candidate as of today, and I will bet on the field.
    If there's a God, He is laughing at us and our football team.

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Tim Pawlenty I would say is one of the early favorites on the Republican side.

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I say the top runner may not even be in the public eye as yet.

The interim elections (congressional, senatorial, gubernatorial) may hold a tantalizing personality. Look to California, and see who ends up governor there, for example.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

djhutch is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    I'd vote for Bobby Jindal in the GOP primary just to make him the nominee.

Palin has a much better chance of winning than Bobby Jindal or Newt Gingrich. Which should worry the GOP that those are their best candidates.
    I don't know that those are the best candidates. My guess is Romney is probably the early favorite, along with Pawlenty as DrWho mentioned above. Jindal is interesting to me as a candidate. One thing I don't know is whether he really wants it.
    2014 AAT:Daniel Fields All-Time AAT: Charlie Maxwell
    If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball & saving an infant’s life, she'll choose to save the infant without even considering if there are men on base. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by apabruce View Post
    I wonder what the consensus in January 2006 would have been speculating about the 2008 election. Probably Hillary against Romney?
    I'm pretty sure there was a thread....

MrDeeds is offline MotownSports Fan

Hillary vs Rudy

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

It would have been more like Hillary against Rudy Giuliani
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho17 View Post
    Tim Pawlenty I would say is one of the early favorites on the Republican side.
    And if McCain made the right decision by choosing him as his running mate, we'd have a whole different political situation then we have now. We would be talking about Obama potentially becoming the first black president in 2012.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

MrDeeds is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by jonjd View Post
    And if McCain made the right decision by choosing him as his running mate, we'd have a whole different political situation then we have now. We would be talking about Obama potentially becoming the first black president in 2012.
    I'm no fan of Sarah Palin, but she definitely helped McCain during 2008. Without her, I think Obama wins by 10-12%. This is coming from some of McCain's aides who despise Palin.

sub rosa is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MrDeeds View Post
    I'm no fan of Sarah Palin, but she definitely helped McCain during 2008. Without her, I think Obama wins by 10-12%. This is coming from some of McCain's aides who despise Palin.
    palin helped mccain initially - he got a huge boost when she was announced because she was relatively unknown, and looked good. i think over the course of the campaign, she became a liability for all the reasons we remember. whether all the criticism of palin was fair or not is debatable. i think mccain might've actually done better with a more mainstream running mate.
    I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. —William Faulkner

screwball is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sub rosa View Post
    palin helped mccain initially - he got a huge boost because she was relatively unknown. i think over the course of the campaign, she became a liability. i think mccain might've actually done better with a more mainstream running mate.
    From the investor class, they wanted no part of Phil Gramm either, who was his financial guy. There were rumors he would appoint him Sec. of Treasury.
    The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it - John Kenneth Galbraith

Oblong is offline MotownSports Fan

I think Palin had a net zero effect. Yes she brought a lot of people but I also think a lot were turned away. I think it cancels out.

I was certain that 2008 would be Hillary vs. Rudy.

I do know a sitting President was not renominated by his party but I cannot remember who it was. I'll look it up in my book when I get home. James Polk was a one term President who decided not to run for a second term. He would have won. Probably our most underrated President.

I do think it's 50/50 that Biden is not on the ticket. The argument against that is that the party will not want to annoint someone so early. I just think Biden's served his purpose to Obama and being an older guy he won't want to run on his own.

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    There you go!

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rick Perry make a run at it. He may be out of a job by then anyway; I guess we'll see. Kay has done a reasonably good job for us in Washington, but doesn't inspire me. At the moment, I'm watching our dark horse, Debra Medina in the GOP gubernatorial primary. She's really more Libertarian politically, campaigned for Ron Paul, etc. but seem to lack the derangement we often see in libertarian party candidates. Didn't know much about her, but she performed surprisingly well in the debates.

Who knows? If she turns out to be as advertised, she might be someone to watch for 2016.
    I hope Steve Perry makes a run at it. I really liked him in Journey.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

Quote Originally Posted by shabba4detroit View Post
    THE VOICE!

holygoat is offline MotownSports Fan

He'd lock up the South Detroit vote for sure.

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

Quote Originally Posted by holygoat View Post
    He'd lock up the South Detroit vote for sure.
    I thought that was Canada...
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

McGriff4Hall is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Oblong View Post
    I do know a sitting President was not renominated by his party but I cannot remember who it was. I'll look it up in my book when I get home. James Polk was a one term President who decided not to run for a second term. He would have won. Probably our most underrated President.
    I believe that was Franklin Pierce, and I think Chester Alan Arthur was denied as well.
    God bless your crooked little heart.

Don't stop believin'!!

Blog Entries

He would have the most awesome campaign slogans ever! "Be Good To Yourself", "Don't Stop Believin",
    and of course the shining "City By The Bay".
    VT

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast