Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

VT

Buddha is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    Only going to make two points. This is my last post on the topic.

Pot meet kettle.

I wasn't patronizing you. I've never patronized you. I simply was trying to be polite towards you with my commentary. I am genuinely sorry if you thought I was patronizing you, but beyond that, blow it out your backside.

The fact you happen to have stong opinions about things that others either don't have or choose not to ram down other people's throats, in and of itself, doesn't make you a more admirable person in my book, nor does it make others robots.
    I didn't know that referring to myself as an *** hole was a compliment.

whatever.
    the above opinion is not respected by Deleterious

Truth is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    I read that last (Saturday) night along with dozens and dozens of the comments. Now I can't remember if it's in the article or in the comments where I read that the Heat will be paying for a lot of Jame's entourage. Apparently so did the Cavs but the Bulls said they wouldn't. Between that and Riley's in-season meeting with James it seems that the envelope is really being pushed. I don't expect the league to do anything but that will be an invitation for a lot more of this in the years to come and I'm not sure the league can sustain that.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I read that last (Saturday) night along with dozens and dozens of the comments. Now I can't remember if it's in the article or in the comments where I read that the Heat will be paying for a lot of Jame's entourage. Apparently so did the Cavs but the Bulls said they wouldn't. Between that and Riley's in-season meeting with James it seems that the envelope is really being pushed. I don't expect the league to do anything but that will be an invitation for a lot more of this in the years to come and I'm not sure the league can sustain that.
    You probably mean this:

It was also made known to James that the Heat would take care of his friends the same way the Cavs did -- special treatment at the arena, changing practice and travel schedules to allow for money-making late-night parties in various cities, and perhaps even hiring a James associate in a high-paying position in the organization.
    Good for the Bulls saying no.
    VT

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I think the league does have to step in, they probably have policies against hiring friends or providing extras outside of the base salaries in order to subvert the salary cap.

mtutiger is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir View Post
    But that doesn't give him the face time that he so desperately desires, does it?
    Of course not... hence the narcissism bit.
    "If you're committed enough, you can make any story work. I once convinced a woman that I was Kevin Costner and it worked... because I believed it!" - Saul Goodman
    2014 AAT: Dan Dickerson

FloridaTigers is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Udonis re-signing with the Heat, turning down MLE's with other teams
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

sportz4life is offline Released

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaTigers View Post
    Udonis re-signing with the Heat, turning down MLE's with other teams
    More important part than Mike Miller.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Tyson Chandler and Jose Calderon May Be Included in Trade
    Tyson Chandler and Jose Calderon May Be Included in Trade

The three-team trade involving the likes of Hedo Turkoglu, Leandro Barbosa, and Boris Diaw may be expanding.

Tyson Chandler confirmed to Yahoo Sports that he will be traded to Toronto while point guard Jose Calderon will get sent to Charlotte. Reggie Evans may also be included.

The details of the trade are still being finalized.
    VT

Utah closing in on deal to get Al Jefferson - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Utah closing in on deal to get Al Jefferson

Would you trade Carlos Boozer for Al Jefferson?

That's what the Utah Jazz are close to doing, as they are close to a deal that would ship the Jefferson to Utah -- and maybe send no players back to Minnesota, according to Marc Stein of ESPN. Utah has a $14 million trade exception from the Boozer sign-and-trade and do not have to send players back to take on Jefferson. However, the details have yet to be hammered out.

The deal is not finalized and the Dallas Mavericks are still in the Jefferson hunt as well.

Jefferson is younger (25) and taller than Boozer (officially just one inch, in reality more like three). Boozer is a more efficient scorer, although Jefferson -- Boozer is a career 54 percent shooter, Jefferson hovers around 50 -- and Boozer grabs a few more rebounds. But not that much. Neither will impress you with their defense.

The difference here is not that great -- Boozer has a career average PER of 20.8, Jefferson 20.3.

What does that mean? It means Utah lost very little if anything in losing Boozer to the Bulls. It means Deron Williams should be less frustrated.

It means Minnesota essentially swapped out Jefferson for Darko Milicic. Yes, we're pretty confused, too. But it's Kahn.
    And thats exactly why you want flexibility and cap space.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Former Player: LeBron's Peers Don't Respect Him For Chasing Ring

Former Player: LeBron's Peers Don't Respect Him For Chasing Ring

Many NBA players were upset with the decision made by LeBron James to join the Heat, in what is perceived as an easier way to win a title.

But Dan Gilbert's open letter created sympathy for James, according to one former player.

"The players were all mad at LeBron," said an insider, a former player of enormous influence. "Nobody respects him for going after a championship like that. They want to beat him now more than ever.

"But when the owner acted the way he did, he was letting LeBron off the hook. Now the players feel like they have to come to LeBron's defense and back him up against Gilbert."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Wolves Acquire Beasley For Two 2nd Round Picks

Wolves Acquire Beasley For Two 2nd Round Picks

The Miami Heat announced today that they have traded forward Michael Beasley to the Minnesota Timberwolves in exchange for two second round draft picks (2011 and 2014). “We felt Michael had two very good years in Miami,” said Heat President Pat Riley. “We feel he will have a very productive career, and wish him nothing but the best as he moves on.” In his two seasons with the Heat, Beasley appeared in 159 games (97 starts), averaging 14.3 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 27.3 minutes, while shooting 46.1 percent from the field.
    The #2 pick from a draft 3 years ago was just given away for nothing.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Washington Works Out Morrison
    Washington Works Out Morrison

The Wizards worked out free-agent forward Adam Morrison on Monday.

A source at the Impact Sports facility said Washington coach Flip Saunders personally conducted the workout, running Morrison through a series of shooting drills.

Nothing is imminent. Morrison is expected to work out for the Bulls on Tuesday.
    VT

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68112/20100713/warriors_sign_dorell_wright_to_$11m_deal/
    Warriors Sign Dorell Wright To $11M Deal

The Warriors have signed free-agent forward Dorell Wright to a three-year, $11 million deal.

Golden State announced the agreement on Monday night.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Wizards Reach Deal With Hilton Armstrong
    Wizards Reach Deal With Hilton Armstrong

The Hornets have reached an agreement on a contract with free-agent forward Hilton Armstrong.

The deal is believed to be worth the veteran minimum of $992,680.

Armstrong received interest from Toronto, New York, Milwaukee, Detroit and said that he worked out for the Wizards more than a month ago.

"Workout went real well, it was good vibe over there. I think it was a good decision," Armstrong said. "They told me to just run the floor, rebound, play hard, hang in there, be a big body in there. Be the big body that they know I could be. They put a lot of faith in me, and I'm expecting all of it."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Celtics Close To Deal With Nate Robinson

Celtics Close To Deal With Nate Robinson

The Celtics are nearing a deal with free-agent guard Nate Robinson, according to agent Aaron Goodwin.

"Things are going well," said Goodwin, who added that a contract could be completed by the end of the week. "We're just trying to get something worked out. But both parties are talking."

Boston doesn't have Robinson's Bird Rights, so they can't go over the salary cap in order to retain him.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Mavericks Showing Interest In Shaq
    Mavericks Showing Interest In Shaq

The Mavericks are looking for a big man and have shown interest in free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal, according to a source.

A source close to the center told the Dallas Morning News that O'Neal hasn't yet committed to Miami, which was speculated once LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh joined forced with the Heat.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Ilgauskas Will Join LeBron In Miami

Ilgauskas Will Join LeBron In Miami

Zydrunas Ilgauskas has turned down an offer from the Cleveland Cavaliers and will instead join LeBron James in Miami.

The Heat has a need for size and experience on its frontline. The team is nearly capped out after signing James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller, while retaining Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem.

Ilguaskas' agent said the player hopes to be part of the Cavs' organization after his retirement.
    VT

Ilguaskas' agent said the player hopes to be part of the Cavs' organization after his retirement.
    Sure...

Casimir is offline MotownSports Fan

I hope to someday be the Tigers' starting shortstop.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68146/20100714/ridnour_signs_$16m_deal_with_minnesota/
    Ridnour Signs $16M Deal With Minnesota

Luke Ridnour has signed a four-year, $16 million contract with Minnesota, agent Lon Babby has confirmed.

Ridnour had a comeback season in 09-10 with Milwaukee.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Knicks Meeting With Josh Howard

Knicks Meeting With Josh Howard

The Knicks are meeting with Josh Howard on Wednesday.

Howard is also considering remaining with the Wizards, but has also received interest from the Bulls and Celtics.
    VT

Twitter / Daryl Morey: Congratulations to Kyle Lo ...

Congratulations to Kyle Lowry on signing his new deal. We plan to match the agreement and we are excited he will be returning to the Rockets
    VT

Blog Entries

I'm going to sign with Miami for the minimum. Might as well, everyone's gonna do it
    "Violence on television only affects children whose parents act like television personalities" -David Byrne

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Clippers To Audition McGrady Next Week
    Clippers To Audition McGrady Next Week

The Clippers will bring in Tracy McGrady for a workout next week, Neil Olshey confirmed.

The market for McGrady has yet to materialize after he had a mixed performance for the Knicks.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Utah Informs Matthews Team Won't Match Contract

Utah Informs Matthews Team Won't Match Contract

The Jazz have informed Wesley Matthews that they will not match the offer sheet he signed with the Blazers.

Utah has decided to sign Raja Bell to a three-year deal, worth $10 million.

Bell still needs to pass his physical, which is a contingency of their decision not to match.
    http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/68160/20100714/jazz_land_raja_bell_on_$10m_deal/

Jazz Land Raja Bell On $10M Deal

Raja Bell has agreed to a three-year, $10 million deal with the Jazz.

The Lakers and Bulls were also interested in Bell.
    VT

Source: Richard Jefferson likely re-signing with San Antonio - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Source: Richard Jefferson likely re-signing with San Antonio

Richard Jefferson has certainly had an odd go of it with the Spurs. When he was traded to San Antonio by Milwaukee last summer, it was thought to be one of the off-season's greatest moves, and combined with the Spurs' other acquisitions, was supposed to thrust San Antonio back into contention. It didn't quite work out that way. Jefferson was a flub in his first season as a Spur; he was unable to hit the corner three consistently, didn't really create offense on the drive, and wasn't even a plus defender.

So naturally, he opted out of his $15.2 million salary for next season...because he was so likely to earn that back by signing a new deal. Player value this summer definitely seems to be inflated, but even with those standards in mind it's tough to say if Jefferson would even be worth the full mid-level.

Well, Spurs fans, after enduring a year of Jefferson's misfitting skills, are likely about to find out what he's worth. According to Jeff McDonald of the San Antonio Express News, the odds of RJ coming back to play for the Spurs next season are at 95%. It seemed that Jefferson's opt-out was motivated by an intent to sign a long-term deal before the inevitable lockout/new CBA, but it's unknown how long or valuable a new deal with the Spurs would be. He'd likely need a three year deal for something close to the mid-level to equal the $15.2 million he left behind, but at this stage is Jefferson really worth that much of an investment?
    VT

NBA Rumor: Shannon Brown To Re-Sign With The Lakers | Dime Magazine (dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

NBA Rumor: Shannon Brown To Re-Sign With The Lakers

Shannon Brown thought he was pretty smart. After winning back-to-back rings with the Lakers, he decided to opt-out of the final year of his two-year, $4.139-million contract (leaving $2.149 million on the table) and test the free agent waters. But just like Nate Robinson last summer, it appears no one was looking to Let Shannon Dunk on their squad. Despite Kobe Bryant wanting to bury the hatchet and grab Raja Bell for the Lakers, it appears Brown has moved closer to re-signing with Los Angeles.

The Lakers own his Brown’s “early bird” rights, which means they can sign him for up to five years and as high as the mid-level exception. While I doubt they would spend that much money on the reserve guard (the current mid-level exception pays $5.8 million in the first year), the Lakers would like to keep Brown in the mix. Last season, the 24-year-old played all 82 games and averaged a career-high 8.1 points in only 20 minutes per game.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Knicks Have Preliminary S&T Talks On Shaq

Knicks Have Preliminary S&T Talks On Shaq

The Knicks have reportedly discussed a sign-and-trade with the Cavs for free agent Shaquille O'Neal.

Reports, however, have O'Neal headed to Atlanta for Marvin Williams.

A Knicks source said, "I don't think it would work with us on all kinds of levels."
    VT

Interesting write up about the ongoing problems with NO and Luther Head.

"This Is Just So Unbelievably Wrong" - At The Hive

More info on why the Hornets are such a poor team and Paul will be out of there soon.

I Wash My Hands of These Crazypeople | Hornets Hype

Oh hey, maybe the VP is a basketball guy? Ha. Maybe he’s George Shinn’s son who has only a high school diploma, but according to his bio in the media guide “relies on his 20 years of experience in basketball to provide insight about basketball-related decisions” and “has been closely involved with the Hornets organization since its inception in 1987.” That sounds like a lot of experience. Huh. Maybe I am wrong. Except I’m not. Y’all, Chad Shinn is 30. His biography actually, no joke, IS COUNTING THE VAST EXPERIENCE HE GLEANED AS A 10-YEAR-OLD AMONG HIS QUALIFICATIONS. But hey, we do have, like, two scouts though. Let’s give a Hornets Hype shout out to our two scouts! What uuuuuupp Basketball Operations Department! Keep on fighting the good fight there. Yeah.
    Last edited by Deleterious; 07-15-2010 at 06:00 PM.
    VT

Twitter / Marc Stein: RT @Jonathan_Feigen: Rocke ...

RT @Jonathan_Feigen: Rockets reach a deal with Luis Scola, a source said. Deal for five years, worth $47 million. #hounews
    VT

sportz4life is offline Released

I love Scola, but in 5 years he will be 47..getting up there..

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Hawks Won't Sign Shaq

Hawks Won't Sign Shaq

The Hawks have no plans to sign free-agent center Shaquille O'Neal.

A source says Atlanta's ownership doesn't want to exceed the luxury-tax threshold of $70.307 million. They are currently about $4 million shy.

The Hawks still need to fill their roster with three players.

There was a report of a possible sign-and-trade with O'Neal for Marvin Williams, but a source shot down the idea.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Magic Match Offer Sheet For Redick
    Magic Match Offer Sheet For Redick

The Orlando Magic have exercised its right of first refusal and retained restricted free agent guard J.J. Redick, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed. Orlando had seven days to match an offer sheet made to Redick by Chicago on July 9. “J.J. (Redick) is a valuable part of our organization, both on the court and in our community,” said Smith. “He has worked extremely hard during his four seasons with us and improved every year. We’re happy that J.J. will be back to help us reach our ultimate goal.” Redick (#7, 6’4”, 190, 6/24/84) played in all 82 games last season with Orlando, averaging a career-high 9.6 ppg., 1.9 rpg. and 1.9 apg. in 22.0 minpg.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bucks Expected To Court Luther Head

Bucks Expected To Court Luther Head

The Bucks are expected to be among the teams interested in free-agent guard Luther Head.

Head had a deal in place with the Hornets, but the team backed out after a shift in the front office and a supposed failed physical.
    VT

NBA HD: Market Rate Update Tom Haberstroh HoopData | Hardwood Paroxysm

Interesting article comparing the price of free agents last year to this year.
    VT

Twitter / Marc Stein: RT @SamSmithHoops: Bulls h ...

RT @SamSmithHoops: Bulls have their starting two guard as NBA sources say they agree to $12.5 million three-year deal with Ronnie Brewer
    VT

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha View Post
    Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Miami World Order.

A fascinating article about James and the entire situation. Very long, so click the link to read it all.

Inside look at LeBron's free-agent coup - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

From Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski to managing director Jerry Colangelo to NBA elders, the issue of James’ immaturity and downright disrespectfulness had become a consuming topic on the march to the Olympics. The course of history could’ve changed dramatically, because there was a real risk that James wouldn’t be brought to Beijing based on fears his monumental talents weren’t worth the daily grind of dealing with him.

When the mandate had been to gather these immense egos and get the NBA’s greatest players to fit into a program, no one had a more difficult time meshing into the framework than James. Other players made it a point to learn the names of staffers and modestly go about their business without barking orders and brash demands.

No one could stand James as a 19-year-old in the 2004 Athens Olympics, nor the 2006 World Championships. Officials feared James could become the instigator of everything they wanted to rid themselves for the ’08 Olympics. For as gifted as James was, Krzyzewski and Colangelo subscribed to a belief that with Kobe Bryant(notes) joining the national team in 2007, they could win a gold medal in ’08 with or without LeBron James. Behind the scenes, officials had taken to calling James’ inner circle, “The Enablers.” No one ever told him to grow up. No one ever challenged him. And yet, James was still a powerful pull for his teammates, and everyone had to agree they could no longer let his bossy and belittling act go unchecked. These weren’t the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Team USA wasn’t beholden to him.

After the NBA witnessed the behavior of James and his business manager Maverick Carter during the 2007 All-Star Weekend, the commissioner’s office sent word to USA Basketball the league wouldn’t force James on them for the Olympics. Before Team USA gathered for the 2007 Tournament of the Americas in Las Vegas, an unmistakable message had been delivered to James through Nike: Unless you change, we’re serious about leaving you home.

“Legacies were on the line,” one league official said, “and they weren’t going to let LeBron [expletive] it up for everyone in China.”
    The Bulls still believed they were strongly in the bidding for James. They met him on July 2, and for all the discussion later about the belief that Chicago wouldn’t give jobs and access to members of James’ inner circle, the issue had never been raised with team executives.

For everything the Bulls tried to sell – from owner Jerry Reinsdorf to GM Gar Forman to coach Tom Thibodeau – there had been one thing that troubled James’ about the Bulls pitch: Derrick Rose(notes) never called and tried to recruit him.

Chicago officials never directly requested Rose to reach out with a call, and the young point guard felt James could’ve always reached out to him had he wanted to discuss the possibility of playing together. James needed to be courted, needed to be wooed and apparently it surprised him there was a star who wasn’t falling over himself to do that.
    Wade wasn’t allowed to recruit for the Heat before the end of the NBA Finals, because he was still a Heat employee. Yet before the end of the Finals, there were two June meetings that involved Wade and members of James’ inner circle – one in Ohio and another in Chicago. The NBA doesn’t seem interested in pursuing a tampering probe, but a senior NBA official wants the league to investigate whether Riley promised James employment and benefits to members of his camp.

“The bigger issue is salary-cap circumvention,” one top NBA front-office executive told Yahoo!. “You can’t promise jobs or preferential services outside of a contract or a job for a friend. If that’s part of the deal, it’s a violation.”
    VT

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast