Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Deleterious is online now MotownSports Fan

Default NBA Info - April 2010

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: KG: Refs Gave Durant The Jordan Treatment

KG: Refs Gave Durant The Jordan Treatment

Kevin Durant scored 37 points against Boston on Wednesday, including a 15-for-15 from the line.

Kevin Garnett, who usually doesn’t stray down this path, accused the officiating crew of Bob Delaney, Zach Zarba and Mark Ayotte of protecting Durant.

“I thought we were playing Michael (bleeping) Jordan tonight the way he was getting whistles,” Garnett said.

“We played bad on the defensive end,” a typically frank Kendrick Perkins said. “Guys missed assignments and it added up. They got to the line because they were being aggressive.

“Durant is an aggressive player, and everybody fed off of him. Missed assignments hurt us. We were more worried about scoring than the defensive end.”

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: T-Mac Interested In Signing With Magic

T-Mac Interested In Signing With Magic

Tracy McGrady said on Wednesday that he is interested in signing next season with Orlando.

"Of course because it's home, that's home," McGrady said. "I hated it that I left. I hated I left because I established myself there and made a name for myself. It was a situation where the GM [John Weisbrod] that was there made a huge mistake."

Weisbrod, whose has since been fired, traded McGrady in 2004 in a deal for Steve Francis.

"They got him out of there because he was out of his mind," McGrady said of Weisbrod.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: No Bonus Nike Money For LeBron In NYC Or LA

No Bonus Nike Money For LeBron In NYC Or LA

LeBron James has agreed to a new deal with Nike and the contract won't have bonus clauses that could trigger if he plays in a specific city, according to a report from the Plain Dealer.

There has frequently been speculation about LeBron's contract, as well as others, that there could be added money from Nike if a player is in a big market such as New York or Los Angeles.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Grizzlies Want Mutombo To Tutor Thabeet

Grizzlies Want Mutombo To Tutor Thabeet

Dikembe Mutombo sat courtside Wednesday night in Memphis with the organization hoping he can help influence Hasheem Thabeet.

“He’s very interested in Hasheem,” Griz general manager Chris Wallace said. “He wanted to come in and get together with Hasheem.”

Mutombo has served as a global ambassador for the NBA since he retired from the Houston Rockets in 2009. It is not uncommon for the former Defensive Player of the Year to visit different NBA cities throughout the season.

It is believed, too, that the Griz might talk to Mutombo about working as a paid consultant in the offseason.

Memphis struck out in its bid to hire Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, who revealed late last year that a bout with cancer would prevent him from working.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: LeBron Likely To Miss Team USA Duty For Movie Shoot

LeBron Likely To Miss Team USA Duty For Movie Shoot

LeBron James said Wednesday that his summer schedule may not allow him to take part in the FIBA World Championships in Turkey in August and September.

"I've got a really, really, really busy summer," James said. "If I had the time to be a part of the national team I would love to play and represent my country. But there's a lot of things I need to take care of first."

James will star in "Fantasy Basketball Camp," a comedy set in Las Vegas that is expected to be modeled after "The Hangover". The shooting would likely be more of a conflict with Team USA duty than his free agency decision.

James did leave the door open slightly, but sounded as if his mind was made up about Team USA.

"It is very shady right now, I'm probably not playing," James said. "There's a lot of decisions I need to make this summer before I decide to get back out on the court."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...01#STORY_25170
    Stoudemire Reiterates Admiration for Nets

It’s also because the Phoenix’s perennial All-Star is the most talented and passionate player in the power forward pool, no matter what Chris Bosh enthusiasts might tell you.

And so it was with the usual gusto that Stoudemire drew some more word pictures of himself wearing a Nets uniform for the next five years Wednesday night, when he helped the surging Suns to a 116-105 triumph in his final visit to Izod Center. “I think this franchise is definitely going to turn things around here soon. New ownership is coming in. They’re looking to move to Brooklyn. All that is a factor,” Stoudemire said. “All those high draft picks, all that can help the situation. With that being said, it’s just a matter of waiting to see how it plays out.

“You always want to weigh your pros and cons. Right now, the pros are definitely there. They have a great chance of turning the franchise around sooner or later. It’s great to see. I’m pretty sure it’s going to happen for them sooner or later. I think this offseason is going to be a big offseason for me and I have to figure out what decision to make here soon.”

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...01#STORY_25181

Mavs Record 10th Straight 50-Win Season

The Mavericks don't consider 50 wins a big deal, but they should.

Assistant coach Dwane Casey said before the game Seattle, for whom he was an assistant during much of the 1990s, expected 50 wins every season in the Gary Payton era.

The Mavs are the same in the Dirk Nowitzki era.

It's not something to be taken lightly, even if the Mavericks won their 50th game this season Wednesday and have 10 consecutive 50-win seasons.

"It's a benchmark for a successful season," Rick Carlisle said. "Most people around the league view it as a significant number. For us I don't know that it is. We're always trying to get more, more, more."

As J.J. Barea said: if you told any NBA team before the season that it would finish with 50 wins, nearly all of them would take it.

Yes, these Mavericks have bigger fish to fry. But consider that Dallas is only the fourth franchise in NBA history to string together 10 consecutive 50-win seasons, and you realize how good the Mavericks have been.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...01#STORY_25174
    Rivers: I Would Have Wrongly Picked Oden

With Kevin Durant in town for his annual visit, the annual question popped up. Back in the spring of 2007, just who exactly did the Celtics coach want when the C’s still had a chance at the No. 1 pick - Durant or Greg Oden?

“I was for Oden,” said Rivers. “I was for the size, and anyone who tells you otherwise has amnesia. For everyone now it’s, ‘I was for Durant.’ . . . Clearly I made a mistake, but that’s where I would have gone.”

Last night, Durant torched Rivers’ bunch for 37 points with eight rebounds.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Jennings, Curry Named Rookies Of The Month For March

Jennings, Curry Named Rookies Of The Month For March

The Milwaukee Bucks’ Brandon Jennings and Golden State Warriors’ Stephen Curry today were named the Eastern and Western Conference T-Mobile Rookies of the Month, respectively, for games played in March.

Jennings ranked first among Eastern Conference rookies in scoring (14.1 ppg), and second in assists (5.1 apg). On March 19, he had a career-high/team rookie record eight three-point field goals against the Sacramento Kings in a career-high 45 minutes, breaking the mark set by Ray Allen.

Among Western Conference rookies, Curry ranked second in scoring (19.8 ppg), third in assists (7.3 apg), first in three point field goal percentage (.500), second in free throw percentage (.926) and second in steals (1.79 spg). He also ranked in the top-three among Western Conference rookies in six different categories and collected three double-doubles, all of which were of the 30-point/10-assist variety. Curry is the first rookie to have at least three 30-point/10-assist games in a calendar month since Oscar Robertson in Feb. 1961.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Lakers Sign Kobe To Three-Year Extension
    Lakers Sign Kobe To Three-Year Extension

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed guard Kobe Bryant to a three-year contract extension, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “We are extremely pleased that we were able to reach an agreement and come to terms on the extension at this time,” said Kupchak. “Kobe has been a cornerstone of the Lakers for well over a decade, helping to lead us to four NBA Championships and in the process developing into one of the greatest players in basketball history.”

Financial terms of the contract were not disclosed. “Two of our main goals heading into this season were to sign Kobe Bryant and Pau Gasol to contract extensions,” continued Kupchak. “With the signing of Pau earlier this season and the signing of Kobe today, we were able to accomplish those goals, helping to keep the core of this team intact for the foreseeable future and in turn help to ensure the franchise’s continued success over the years to come.”

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Playoff Berth Might Not Save Triano

Playoff Berth Might Not Save Triano

The Raptors currently have a two-game lead over the Bulls for the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.

However, according to ESPN's Marc Stein, coach Jay Triano's job could be still be in jeopardy this summer even if they make the postseason.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Scott, Casey May Be Targets For Clippers

Scott, Casey May Be Targets For Clippers

A few names to keep an eye on for the Clippers head coaching position include Byron Scott and Mavericks assistant coach Dwyane Casey.

ESPN analyst Mark Jackson could be a candidate as well.

Marc Stein of ESPN wrote on Friday that some sources consider Scott to be the top choice, while others think its Casey.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Van Gundy Is New Jersey's Top Choice

Van Gundy Is New Jersey's Top Choice

Jeff Van Gundy remains the top coaching choice for the Nets, according to the New York Daily News.

A team official said on Thursday that president Rod Thorn wants to hire a coach with previous head coaching experience.

Thorn's two previous hires, Byron Scott and Lawrence Frank, did not have head coaching experience.

REPORT: Hurley Sr., Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen will be announced to Hall of Fame - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports
    REPORT: Hurley Sr., Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen will be announced to Hall of Fame

The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Bobby Hurley Sr., Scottie Pippen, and Karl Malone will be announced as inductees to the Basketball Hall of Fame Monday during the NCAA Championship game.

Hurley, as only the third high school coach to be enshrined in the Hall, is quite a story, but as this is an NBA blog, let's turn our attention to the other two.

It's only fitting that Pippen enter the Hall a year after Jordan, having played as Jordan's number two for his entire career (and the results without MJ were less than memorable). Pippen's place in history may be as the sidekick, but his performance was vital to the Bulls' three championships. He was a top five defender for much of his career, and versatile in a way that Jordan himself never was. Since retiring, though, Pippen has made his fair share of interesting and questionable comments. His induction speech may have the same flavor as Jordan's debacle.

Malone? Zero championships. That's the mark many people will remember outside of Utah. But Malone was thought by many to go down as the greatest power forward of all time. Of course, then Tim Duncan showed up, and the 50% of the people that think Duncan is a power forward obviously bump Malone right on down. But Malone is unquestionably Hall-worthy. He was a brutalizer in the block, great from range, and if John Stockton is in, then it only makes sense that his pick and roll partner is in.

With Jordan, Pippen, Malone, and Stockton in the hall, alongside previous 2008 inductee Hakeem Olajuwon, the mid-90's will be well represented in the Hall of Fame. Getcha flannel and Pearl Jam records ready!

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: D'Antoni Won't Say If Lee Deserves Max Contract

D'Antoni Won't Say If Lee Deserves Max Contract

When asked about the future of forward David Lee, Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni was surprisingly guarded.

"I love David Lee," D'Antoni said. "I love guys that have that talent. But we have to wait and see about all these guys."

D'Antoni has feuded with a host of players during his relatively short tenure in New York, but appears to have always supported Lee.

The forward is averaging 20.3 points and 11.9 rebounds, but critics knock him because the Knicks have never won more than 32 games in his career.

"I understand the discussion because if you're on a bad team somebody has to put the points up and you can go through all those 'why the stats are inflated,' " D'Antoni said. "At the same time he's one of the best offensive players. I don't see that it's something he can't do going forward on any team."

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Plane Carrying Heat Makes Emergency Landing

Plane Carrying Heat Makes Emergency Landing

A plane carrying Heat players made an emergency landing early Sunday in Chicago after a mechanic on board became ill, team spokesman Tim Donovan said.

The plane safely landed early Sunday at O'Hare International Airport after the man went into a diabetic coma.

Miami's trainers treated the man while the plane was in the air and he was taken to a local hospital after the landing.

"Hey everyone pray for our pilot," Dwyane Wade wrote on Twitter page. "... He went into a Coma. God bless this man and his family."

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bogut Likely Done For Season

Bogut Likely Done For Season

Bucks center Andrew Bogut will likely miss the remainder of the season after suffering serious injuries following a dunk attempt on Saturday.

"After falling hard to the floor after a dunk in the second period of the Bucks win over Phoenix, Andrew was examined at the Bradley Center by team orthopedic physician Dr. Michael Gordon and then taken to Aurora Sinai Medical Center by ambulance for more tests," Milwaukee general manager John Hammond said in a statement.

"Further testing and imaging at Aurora Sinai showed that Andrew sustained a dislocated right elbow, a sprained right wrist and a broken right hand. He was released from the hospital and no timetable has been determined for his return."

In 69 games this season, Bogut is averaging career-highs in points (15.9) and blocked shots (2.5), while adding 10.2 rebounds and 1.8 assists per game.
    That is a shame for him and the Bucks. He was playing great this year and the Bucks would have been a tough first round opponent.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Source: D'Antoni Sees No Future With T-Mac

Source: D'Antoni Sees No Future With T-Mac

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni doesn't feel Tracy McGrady has a future with the team past this season.

McGrady has averaged 8.5 points, 3.3 rebounds and 3.3 assists in 21 games with New York.

A team source said D'Antoni feels that McGrady has too far to go in his comeback to be counted on next season as an important piece of a rotation the coach expects to be massively improved.

Deadshot is offline MotownSports Fan

The Bogut video was just hard to watch. I'm not even going to post it here but if anyone really wants to watch it its on youtube. They gave Amare a flagrant on the play as well but I don't think that was the right call. Bogut hands slipped and he landed poorly.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65773/20100405/kobes_extension_worth_$835m/

Kobe's Extension Worth $83.5M

Kobe Bryant's extension with the Lakers is worth $83.5 million over three years, according to an NBA memo.

The dollar amounts are $25.24 million in 11-12, $27.84 million in 12-13 and $30.45 million in 13-14.

Bryant's deal also includes a no-trade clause.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Toronto Interested In Noah S&T, Not Lee Or Beasley

Toronto Interested In Noah S&T, Not Lee Or Beasley

The Raptors are said to have little interest in David Lee in a sign-and-trade given Lee cannot play center and Toronto needs a center to complement Andrea Bargnani.

Toronto also would not be interested in any type of sign-and-trade deal with Miami, as they are not interested in Michael Beasley.

The Raptors would be interested in Joakim Noah, should Bosh agree to a move to Chicago.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: 2010 Hall Of Fame Class Officially Announced

2010 Hall Of Fame Class Officially Announced

The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame today announced that eight individuals and two teams have been named as the Enshrinement Class of 2010. The inductees include Jerry Buss, Cynthia Cooper, Bob Hurley, Sr., Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen, along with two celebrated teams: the 1960 USA Men’s Olympic team and the 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team.”

The Class of 2010 also includes three legendary players: Dennis Johnson, Gus Johnson and international star Maciel “Ubiratan” Pereira, all of whom will be honored posthumously. The announcement was made at a press conference in Indianapolis, Indiana, the site of the 2010 NCAA Final Four.

“We are very proud to introduce the historic Class of 2010, a diverse and distinguished group that includes six players, a coach, a contributor and two elite teams,” said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. “We look forward to honoring them in Springfield this summer with a week-long celebration of basketball, highlighted by the Enshrinement Ceremony on August 13.”

To be elected, finalists required 18 of 24 votes from the Honors Committee for election into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. The Class of 2010 will be enshrined at the Springfield Symphony Hall on August 13, following a week of festivities in Springfield, Massachusetts to be staged August 7-13, 2010.

Darko Milicic teaching Al Jefferson how to play the game - ProBasketballTalk - Basketball - NBC Sports

Darko Milicic teaching Al Jefferson how to play the game

The triangle offense requires a "big with a brain" to run it correctly -- a smart and willing passer. Pau Gasol is perfect. The Bulls used to put Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan and a host of guys who could pass in the post. That seemed to work pretty well for them. Even Shaquille O'Neal is a deft passer. When he wants to be.

Al Jefferson has a brain, but he couldn't quite wrap it around how to play the post in Kurt Rambis' triangle. So the Timberwolves went away from it more and more (Johnny Flynn and the guards had something to do with that, too).

Then along came Darko Milicic. The motion and passing of the triangle feel at home to those coming from traditional European systems, and suddenly the Timberwolves offense was flowing a little better with Darko in.

And Al Jefferson noticed, as he told Jerry Zgoda of the Star Tribune.

"I see myself looking at passes now that I never would have looked at before. [Milicic] helps me open my eyes up to the game because he can pass, he can score, he does all the right things on offense. I see the things he does in games. Now, I think I'm a lot better making the right decisions."

That has carried over with Darko out due to a mild concussion. Jefferson is passing to hit the cutters. Things are opening up in the offense. It almost resembles the triangle at times.

Not that this has translated much to the win column so far. But it's all about baby steps at this point.
    His numbers since landing in Minnesota:

24 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 1.6 AST, 1.4 blocks

Not great, but not bad either. He is just now getting back into game shape because he sat the bench in New York so long. Be interesting to see if he comes back or goes home.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Wizards Unlikely To Retain Foye
    Wizards Unlikely To Retain Foye

The Wizards are unlikely to retain guard Randy Foye this summer at the price of his qualifying offer, a league source told the Washington Post.

Washington could tender Foye a qualifying offer of $4.8 million, which would give them the right to match any offer he receives from another club.

"They really don't have to do nothing. It's up to them. Whatever management does, they are going to do, no matter what the outside thinks," Foye said.

"I'm really not concerned. I think people have seen me enough in this league to know exactly what I can do and exactly what kind of player I am, if they acquire me, or whatever happens here. They know what they are getting. Being here would be important. This is somewhere I would like to be, but I understand that it's a business at the same time."

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: MRI Reveals No Tear In Bynum's Achilles

MRI Reveals No Tear In Bynum's Achilles

Lakers center Andrew Bynum had a second MRI on his strained left Achilles tendon Monday, which confirmed once again that there is no tear.

Bynum has not been cleared to play and no timetable has been set for his return to action, according to the team's official web site.

Los Angeles is just 4-4 without Bynum since he suffered the injury on March 19.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Nuggets Hoping Martin Will Practice On Tuesday

Nuggets Hoping Martin Will Practice On Tuesday

The Nuggets are hoping that forward Kenyon Martin will return to practice on Tuesday after missing a month of action with patellar tendinitis in his left knee.

They are also hoping that Martin puts aside his anger over an April Fool's popcorn prank involving teammate J.R. Smith.

Martin declined to comment on either topic Monday.

Denver's acting head coach, Adrian Dantley, said he wasn't sure what Martin would be able to do at practice or even if he'll be able to withstand the pain enough to participate in drills.

On April 1, Martin was irate over a prank played on him by Smith's personal driver, Laquan Johnson, a former Nuggets ball boy, who filled Martin's car with buttery popcorn during Denver's 109-92 win over Portland.

"That ain't no ... joke," Martin screamed in the locker room after the game. "I'm going to find out who did it. ... How 'bout if I don't play in the playoffs until somebody tells me who did it?"

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bogut Undergoes Successful Surgery On Right Hand
    Bogut Undergoes Successful Surgery On Right Hand

Milwaukee Bucks General Manager John Hammond announced today that center Andrew Bogut (7-0, 260) had successful surgery this afternoon on his right hand to repair damage incurred on his fall in the second quarter of Saturday night’s game against Phoenix. The surgery was performed at the Orthopaedic Hospital of Wisconsin by Dr. Michael Gordon and Dr. Curt Crimmins. Bogut is expected to need up to six weeks to fully recover from surgery before he can fully engage in rehab.

Bogut, 25, has appeared in 69 games for the Bucks this season and averaged career-highs in points (15.9) and blocks (2.5) while also recording 10.2 rebounds and shooting 52.0 percent from the field. He is second in the league in blocks, 10th in rebounding, 17th in field goal percentage and his 37 double-doubles rank eighth in the NBA and are one shy of his career-best set in 2007-08. Bogut’s 175 blocks on the season are the sixth-most single season total in franchise history and the most since Alton Lister had 177 in 1982-83.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...06#STORY_25277

Rivers, Wallace Make Peace

A forgiving Doc Rivers said yesterday he holds no grudges following a strange interaction with Rasheed Wallace late in the third quarter of the Celtics’ emotionally charged 117-113 victory Sunday over the Cleveland Cavaliers .

Wallace chose not to address the subject publicly yesterday, but Rivers said things have been worked out.

“We just talked about the situation and trying to control yourself and understanding that, at the end of the day when stuff like that happens, even if you think you’re in the right, you’re still in the wrong because it hurts the team,” the coach said. “Rasheed’s emotional. He’s been emotional, and some of that won’t change.”

Rivers added that he is not bothered by being so openly challenged.

“I can accept that,” he said. “It happens. It won’t be the last time. Hopefully it will be with Rasheed. It happens.

sportz4life is offline Released

Welcome to the club Doc..

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bosh Taken To Hospital For CAT Scan
    Bosh Taken To Hospital For CAT Scan

Chris Bosh has been taken to hospital for a CAT scan after suffering trauma to his face and nose in the opening minutes of Tuesday night's Raptors-Cavaliers game.

Bosh absorbed an inadvertent elbow from Cleveland's Antawn Jamison before falling to the floor in pain in front of the Cavaliers' bench about two minutes into the game.

whitesox901 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

With Milwaukee's win over the Bulls the Bucks clinch a playoffs spot. Only 2 spots left with 3 teams in the hunt.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Paul Done For Season With Ligament Tear In Finger
    Paul Done For Season With Ligament Tear In Finger

Chris Paul will miss the remainder of the season because of a ligament tear in the middle finger of his right hand.

Paul has been struggling with the injury for several games, but appeared to aggravate it further while guarding Morris Peterson during a 1-on-1 drill after Tuesday's regular practice ended.

Team officials say no surgery is required and that Paul could return to basketball activities in about seven weeks.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bosh Suffers Facial Fracture

Bosh Suffers Facial Fracture

Following their loss in Cleveland on Tuesday, the Raptors announced that Chris Bosh has a "maxilla and nasal fracture to the right side of his face."

Bosh will not travel with the team. He will be kept overnight in the hospital for additional observation.

Bosh was accidentally hit in the face by Antawn Jamison in the first period of the game.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65823/20100407/grading_the_deal_ginobili_to_sign_$40m_extension/

Grading The Deal: Ginobili To Sign $40M Extension

Manu Ginobili is ranked 41st in season FIC during the 09-10 season, giving him a Reina Value of +12%, 'deserving' Samuel Dalembert's salary just over $12M. At an annual average of $13.3M, Ginobili will need to maintain his current level of play until he's 35 for the Spurs to recoup their investment. Because of the flood of teams with cap space, Ginobili could have very conceivably made more on the open market.

Because he spent his early 20s abroad, Ginobili doesn't have as many NBA miles on his almost 33-year-old legs as most players do at that age. Provided he's healthy, Ginobili is largely the same player has has been since the 04-05 season when he first had a TS% over .600. His PER that season was 22.3 and is now at 22.8, down a little from his peak years of 06-07 and 07-08, but his production and health after offseason ankle surgery has been a pleasant $40M surprise.

Ginobili still attacks the bucket as frequently as he always has, but has dropped off in his efficiency as a finisher here from where he was before the surgery. He looks to dish off when penetrating as much as he looks to finish and that has created a spike in assist rate up to 28.2% (6.2 assists per 36 minutes, above his career average of 4.8 per 36).

He has recovered from his one-season slump from distance to shoot it at a clip of 39% in 09-10.

Defensively, Ginobili is largely still as good as he always has been.

Ginobili is one of the game's savviest players and will continue to be productive whenever he is healthy enough to be on the floor.

The Spurs undoubtedly will be overpaying a little bit in the third year of his extension when he's 35, but I think they will rest a little easier knowing they had him at below market value for the majority of his career. If Ginobili would have become a free agent, a desperate team with cap space could have offered him a balloon payment for 2010-11, leaving the Spurs completely vulnerable since they already are in cap hell. The 10-11 season will be as tax-laden as this season is with the San Antonio payroll just under $80M, but at least they will have Richard Jefferson coming off the books in the 2011 summer when Tony Parker becomes a free agent.

Grade for Spurs: B+

For Ginobili, this deal all but ensures he retires with San Antonio and also gives him the security he's earned by proving his health and value throughout a 09-10 season where he has been nearly as valuable to the team as Tim Duncan.

He struggled for much of the first half of the season, shooting 40.3% before the break and 48.7% after it. Ginobili and Herb Rudoy appear to be cashing in without a hometown discount on his late season resurgence and impeccable timing just shortly before he would have become an unrestricted free agent in a carnivorous summer.

Grade for Ginobili: A
    I think its time to let it go out there.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Bosh Will Miss Rest Of Regular Season

Bosh Will Miss Rest Of Regular Season

Chris Bosh will miss the remainder of the regular season after surgery to repair facial fractures.

It will not be until next week that a medical determination can be made concerning the extent of the injury.

“Each fracture has its own personality and no one has a crystal ball unfortunately,” said Dr. Paul Marks, the Raptors' orthopedic surgeon.

“We know that we’re looking at time frames of at least the next seven to 10 days before we get things reassessed. And at that point we’ll have a better idea of which way things are going.”

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Nellie Finally Gets Win Record

Nellie Finally Gets Win Record

Don Nelson passed Lenny Wilkens for the most wins in NBA history with a 116-107 victory over Minnesota on Wednesday with a modest amount of fanfare.

Nelson now has 1,333 career victories.

"Nellie hadn't said one thing to us about the record. He just wanted to come out and coach and find ways to win some games with the people he has," forward Corey Maggette said. "Until he got the record, he didn't mention it. Then, he called us together and told us that he loves us."

"Maybe everyone will stop hating now that he has the record," said guard Stephen Curry, who had 27 points, 14 assists, eight rebounds and seven steals.

The Warriors have won four out of their past six games.
    Its ironic such a bad coach now has the win record.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Cleveland Radio Host Says LeBron Will Re-Sign With Cavs

Cleveland Radio Host Says LeBron Will Re-Sign With Cavs

According to a Cleveland radio host, LeBron James has already made up his mind to re-sign with the Cavs but will leave after his next contract.

“I got this from a good source last night: LeBron James is not going anywhere,” Mike Trivisonno said.

“LeBron James is going nowhere ... absolutely, positively nowhere. He’s signing with the Cleveland Cavaliers,” Trivisonno said.

The radio host calls James’ apparent desire to enter free-agency a “smokescreen,” though he then says that James will end his time in Cleveland after his next contract.

James will sign “about a three-year contract ... and then he’ll move on somewhere else.”

At one point, Trivisonno appears to be hinting that his source is close to James.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65838/20100408/2010_11_cap_could_be_higher_than_$54_million/

2010-11 Cap Could Be Higher Than $54 Million

Multiple team executives told CBSSports.com that they have raised their estimate of the 2010-2011 salary cap to $53 million, and several are optimistic that the figure will exceed $54 million.

Ken Berger reports that when the July free-agent sweepstakes get underway, Donnie Walsh will be looking for a shot-blocking center and more physical, defensive-minded big men. Walsh may also go shopping for a point guard, unless the Knicks are able to sign a prime scorer who can initiate the offense.

Berger mentions an example of a sign-and-trade of David Lee to the Blazers in exchange for Andre Miller and/or Joel Pryzbilla.

Timberwolf is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I thought it was gutless by Mike Brown to go rest LeBron tonight in a game Da Bulls needed. Just like it was gutless by Phil Jackson not to play Kobe tonight against Denver.

Toronto is fighting for its playoff lives, and they are struggling to get by with Bosh out for the years. I think Mike Brown owes it to the Raptors to play his best players and give the Raptors a bone. It's called integrity.

I certainly did not like it when Eric Wedge decided not to pitch Cliff Lee in Game 162 couple of years ago in a game the Twins needed help.

I think it's unacceptable and unethical.

Mike Brown should now rest LeBron the rest of the regular season just to save face IMO. He did not look good tonight.
    "Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I don't even care if it makes me look like sour grapes. Screw them and their fans who are reading this and gloating." -- GoGoCrede on Twins fans.

whitesox901 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Why does Brown care about Toronto? The only thing he needs to worry about is keeping LeBron healthy for the playoffs.
    I hope Joe Mauer's head catches fire and that Denard Span puts it out with a rake. - Antrat

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast