Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deleterious is offline MotownSports Fan

Default NBA Info - January 2010

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Billups Doesn't Know When He'll Return
    Billups Doesn't Know When He'll Return

Nuggets point guard Chauncey Billups doesn't know when he'll be able to return from a strained groin.

Denver planned to rest Billups in back-to-back games earlier this week and have him return on Saturday at Utah.

"I don't know man, I really don't know, to be honest," he said Wednesday when asked about facing the Jazz.

"It doesn't hurt to walk around or even jog — I feel good — it's the cutting, trying to get by a defender," Billups said. "That's my problem most of the times."

He has missed five of Denver's last six games.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Durant Has Sixth-Straight 30-Point Game

Durant Has Sixth-Straight 30-Point Game

The Thunder won their fifth straight game on Thursday as Kevin Durant notched his sixth consecutive 30-point contest.

Oklahoma City defeated Utah 87-86 and Durant scored 31 points to break the franchise record for consecutive 30-point explosions.

"We're finding a way to win games," Nick Collison said. "We've been talented for a long time and now we're finding a way to win even when we don't play well."

The franchise hadn't won five games in a row since March 18-25, 2005 when they were located in Seattle and known as the Supersonics.
    VT

Two NBA players, teammates on the Washington Wizards, draw guns on each other in their own locker room - NYPOST.com

Wizards Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton pull pistols on each other

Guess they're still the Bullets at heart.

NBA all-star Gilbert Arenas and his Washing ton Wizards teammate Javaris Crittenton drew guns on each other in the team's locker room during a Christmas Eve dispute over a gambling debt, The Post has learned.

League sources say the pistol-packing point guards had heat ers at the ready inside the Verizon Center, the Washington, DC, home of the Wizards -- whose name was changed from the Bullets over gun- vi olence concerns.

It was the three- time all-star Arenas, 27, who went for his gun first, sources said, draw ing on the 22-year-old Crit tenton, who quickly brandished a firearm as well.

It was not clear whether other teammates saw the shocking standoff, which happened on a practice day.

The duel in DC -- unprecedented in sports history -- was sparked when Critten ton became enraged at the vet eran guard for refusing to make good on a gambling debt, a source said.

"I'm not your punk!" Crittenton shouted at Arenas, according to a league source close to the Wizards.

That prompted Arenas to draw on Crittenton, who then also grabbed for a gun, league security sources said.

A playground pal of Crittenton's from Atlanta, Kendrick "Bookie Ball" Long, confirmed the locker-room standoff and said he learned of it directly from the third-year player out of Georgia Tech.

"He [Arenas] was f- - -ing with him; he [Crittenton] was just defending himself!" declared Long, who said the dispute was over money but would not elaborate.

The Wizards announced on Christmas Day that Arenas had admitted to bringing guns to the locker room and had turned them over to team security. No ammunition was handed over.

The NBA club's statement didn't disclose how Wizards officials discovered that Arenas was storing weapons on the job.

But a league source said Arenas' weapons were uncovered only after the confrontation with Crittenton.

Wizards General Manager Ernie Grunfeld declined to comment. "It's in the hands of [Washington] authorities," said Grunfeld, a former star Knicks player and president. "We're going to get to the bottom of this, if there is a bottom to this."

Washington police said they were investigating Arenas for gun-possession violations. But the Wizards' gun grab has also drawn the attention of the feds.

"We're working with the Metropolitan Police Department on the investigation. That's about all we can say at his point," said Ben Friedman, a spokesman for the US Attorney's Office in DC.

The feds have been investigating gambling within the NBA since disgraced ex-referee Tim Donaghy admitted betting on games and feeding information to bookies. It was not clear whether the gambling debt that sparked the Arenas-Crittenton duel had anything to do with league games.

A top players-union official said he was shocked by the allegations. "This is unprecedented in the history of sports," said Player's Association Executive Director Billy Hunter. "I've never heard of players pulling guns on each other in a locker room."

Team owner Abe Pollin -- his sensitivity heightened by the fatal shooting of his good friend Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin in 1995 -- changed the club from the Bullets to the Wizards in 1997 because he didn't like the violent overtones of the original name. Pollin died in November.

Arenas, who has three kids, reportedly told team officials he brought guns to his Verizon Center locker so they wouldn't be close to his newborn at their home in Great Falls, Va.

He denied pulling a gun on Crittenton and even mocked the suggestion he would ever point a weapon at a teammate.

"You guys, I wanted to go rob banks, I wanted to be a bank robber on the weekends," Arenas said sarcastically after a game this week.

Firearm laws in Washington are among the nation's strictest. Until a recent US Supreme Court ruling, private ownership of guns was illegal in the nation's capital.

As it stands now, gun owners are allowed to transport firearms only within DC under very limited circumstances -- such as taking the weapon to be registered or to a practice range. There's no provision under current DC law for a private citizen to have a gun at work.

In 2003, Arenas pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon in San Francisco.

Arenas claimed the gun was legally registered in Arizona -- where he was star player for the University of Arizona Wildcats -- and said he forgot he needed California authorization to carry it there.

Crittenton hasn't played a minute this season for the Wizards and has struggled to overcome a bone bruise and strained tendons.
    VT

Timberwolf is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I will be stunned if Vinny Del Negro is fired anytime soon.

Jerry Reinsdorf loves to prove his critics wrong and brag about it. He took a chance on Del Negro and everyone called him out on it so he is not about to fire him now especially after a playoff run last year that helped when KG got injured that push that series to seven games. After all, he gave Terry Bevington much more rope at his job until he caved to public pressure who wanted him fired as the manager of the White Sox even though I maintain the guy can manage.

How about when Ozzie Guillen was in the process of self-destruction? Jerry kept him on. Vinny is one of Jerry's guys so it won't happen.

Plus, Jerry can make a case that Rose, Noah and Thomas developed well under Vinny even though I don't think that is the case.

If Vinny won't be fired after losing to the Nets, blowing that big lead against the Kings, or going 0-2 against the Timberwolves last year, when will he be fired? I just don't see it happening.

For anyone that thinks Gar Forman is in charge of the Bulls themselves, they are kidding themselves. It's Reinsdorf that runs the show now so unless Reinsdorf gives up on Vinny, Vinny will stay.

I wonder why Vinny was hired over D'Antoni in the first place. D'Antoni won in this league, and he took the Suns to the Conference Finals every year. Plus, D'Antoni has gotten the most out of his Knicks roster, which is terrible. Comparing Knicks roster and the Bulls roster, I wonder what D'Antoni would have done with the Bulls roster that feature much more talent than the Knicks.

I know Reinsdorf does not like D'Antoni's disregard for defense, but how are they a better defensive team under Vinny? Bulls never play defense, and we saw that in the first round of the playoffs last year whenever Ray Allen was open. Vinny also has no use how to use his timeouts.
    Last edited by Timberwolf; 01-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.
    "Thank you. My thoughts exactly. I don't even care if it makes me look like sour grapes. Screw them and their fans who are reading this and gloating." -- GoGoCrede on Twins fans.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Kobe just did it again.
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Nate Robinson Finally Sees Court, Explodes For 41

Nate Robinson Finally Sees Court, Explodes For 41

After being benched for one month, Nate Robinson had his number called on Friday night and responded with 41 points in a Knicks 112-108 overtime victory against Atlanta.

Nate was surprised when Coach D'Antoni entered him into the game late into the first quarter.

"I got nervous," Robinson said. "I don't know. I felt kind of sick. I was just real, real nervous. I was just going to do everything [D'Antoni] asked me to do.

Robinson made 18 of 24 shots from the field and came within four points of his career high. He had 11 of New York's 13 overtime points and dished out eight assists.

"Against a great team, Nate single-handedly carries us," said teammate David Lee. "It was unreal to watch him play tonight."

The Knicks win was their second at Philips Arena this season.
    Sounds about right.
    VT

Caught this info on TV, so no link.

The Nets have been out rebounded in 21 straight games. That is a NBA record.
    VT

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...03#STORY_23416
    Rivers: Garnett Out Ten Days or More

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers indicated Saturday that forward Kevin Garnett could be out for 10 days or more with a hyperextended right knee.

Discussing injuries to his three starters -- Garnett, Paul Pierce (right knee infection) and Rajon Rondo (sore left hamstring) -- prior to Saturday night's game with the Toronto Raptors at TD Garden, Rivers said Pierce and Rondo were the closest to returning, with Garnett looking at a three-week recovery window after being kicked in his surgically repaired knee twice during a three-game trip this past week.

"KG's still 10 days, maybe, I don't know," said Rivers. "I have no idea, I honestly don't. There is some history with hyperextended knees that we kind of know that it takes at least two weeks, sometimes three. We know it won't be longer than that, but we don't know how quickly. There's a history there -- not with [Garnett] -- but with league history."

Rivers continued to stress that Garnett's injury should not be a long-term issue.

"It won't be that long," Rivers said after Friday's practice. "When I did this, I looked at the schedule and the days off, and I thought this was the time to do it."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Denver's Andersen Suffers Ankle Injury

Denver's Andersen Suffers Ankle Injury

Nuggets forward Chris Andersen sprained his left ankle on Sunday night against the 76ers.

He suffered the injury with 7:33 left in the first half of Denver's 108-105 loss to Philadelphia.

X-rays on the ankle were negative.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Versus Strikes Deal To Televise D-League
    Versus Strikes Deal To Televise D-League

Versus today announced an agreement with the NBA Development League, the NBA’s official minor league, to air 10 regular season and six playoff games throughout 2010.

The NBA D-League regular season games will air on Versus on Saturday nights at 11 p.m. ET, beginning Jan. 16, when the Fort Wayne Mad Ants meet the Sioux Falls Skyforce. Versus will tip off NBA D-League playoff coverage on April 10. All regular season and postseason games will be presented in HD.

“We are very excited to announce this new partnership with the NBA D-League and to have the opportunity to showcase the league’s future stars to a national audience,” said Marc Fein, Executive Vice President of Programming, Production and Business Operations for Versus. “As we do with all of our partners, we also look forward to super-serving basketball fans by surrounding the high-paced NBA D-League game action with many hours of complementary NBA programming.”

“Teaming up with Versus provides us with another great outlet to showcase the incredible talent of the NBA D-League throughout the season,” said Dan Reed, President of the NBA D-League. “Last season, 20 percent of NBA players had NBA D-League experience and, through this agreement with Versus, more fans than ever will have the opportunity to see many future NBA players in action.”
    Even though its just a few games. I have to imagine that is the first minor league with a national TV deal.
    VT

Lbh24 is offline MotownSports Fan

Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban rips NFL for scheduling of NFL playoff games - ESPN Dallas

DALLAS -- Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is firing criticism at a league office again, but this time he has the NFL in his crosshairs.

Cuban is upset that the NFL scheduled the Dallas Cowboys' home playoff game against the Philadelphia Eagles for Saturday night, which conflicts with the Mavericks' home game against the Utah Jazz.

More on the Mavs

News, notes and analysis of the Mavericks from ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan, Tim MacMahon and the rest of our team. Blog.

"I know we're just little pissants compared to the NFL, but seriously, the NFL is turning into the ugly American when it comes to sports leagues," Cuban said. "They don't give a crap about anybody but themselves."

Cuban continued his rant via Twitter on Wednesday, pointing out a second NFL game going head-to-head with an NBA game in Boston.

Tweeted Cuban: "NFL couldnt schedule the Pats for late game on Sun rather than opposite Celtics @1pm?"

The Boston Celtics host the Toronto Raptors at 1 p.m. ET, while the New England Patriots open the playoffs at home against the Baltimore Ravens at the same time.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello has declined to respond to Cuban's comments.

The Mavericks' sellout streak of 334 consecutive games is not in jeopardy Saturday night because all the tickets have already been sold, Cuban said. However, he anticipates a high number of no-shows.

Cuban had nothing but praise for Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, his partner in bringing the NBA All-Star Game to Cowboys Stadium in February. However, Cuban lashed out at the NFL, which he said could lose the political support of other professional sports leagues if it continues to be inconsiderate with its scheduling.

"There's a balance between all the leagues," Cuban said. "They deal with similar issues. They deal with issues with copyright, antitrust, [Federal Communications Commission], all kinds of things. And it's going to bite them in the *** one day."

Cuban concluded with a jab at the NFL.

"Maybe the other leagues, when it comes to supporting them, will pull a Jim Irsay and disappear in the middle of the night," Cuban said, referring to the Colts' move from Baltimore to Indianapolis that was actually orchestrated by Jim Irsay's father Bob in 1984.
    Cuban needs to pick his battles better.
    Water is wet.
    The sky is blue.
    2009 Piston: Rip Hamilton - Guard
    2010 Adopt-A-Tiger: Lloyd McClendon

Deadshot is offline MotownSports Fan

Speaking of the Colts, the Pacers have already moved their start time that coincides with the Colts first playoff game (not this week, they have a bye). Maybe Cuban should just shut up and do the same. What he's doing right now is not a good business move, and I think he realistically knows that he can't compete with the Cowboys.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Powe Will Begin Practicing Soon

Powe Will Begin Practicing Soon

Cavaliers forward Leon Powe says he's been cleared to start practicing after the team's upcoming road trip.

"The doctors won't let me play until after the All-Star break," added Powe, who is recovering from ACL and microfracture surgery in his left knee.

He has career averages of 6.6 points and 4.2 rebounds in 189 NBA games.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Nets Ban Gambling During Team Flights

Nets Ban Gambling During Team Flights

There are indications that the N.B.A. is now considering new gambling restrictions for players. On Wednesday, the Nets informed players that gambling was no longer permitted on team flights.

“We did,” Rod Thorn, the Nets’ president, said Thursday in a telephone interview in which he confirmed that the team had instituted a ban. “I think after this incident with the Wizards that we just decided that we would not have any on our planes. We’ve never had a problem with it. But obviously, you can see what can happen.”

It is not clear whether any other teams are preparing to restrict gambling on team flights. A half-dozen team executives contacted on Thursday said they were not considering any new rules.

Donnie Walsh, the Knicks’ president, said the Arenas case had caused him some concern over his own team’s gambling activity.
    VT

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...08#STORY_23528

Darko Milicic Absent; Buyout Imminent?

The Knicks and Darko Milicic could be headed toward a buyout.

Milicic, who has already stated that he plans to continue his career in Europe next season, was conspicuously missing from Thursday night's game against the Bobcats. The 7-footer has become such an afterthought that the Knicks did not even bother to reveal that he did not show up for work.

Milicic's agent, Marc Cornstein, confirmed that his client was missing due to "personal reasons" and said that Milicic would rejoin the team today.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh would not rule out the possibility that Milicic may not finish the season in New York but quickly added, "He practices hard and kept himself in shape.

"It's not like he's pulling some kind of rebellion or something. His agent hasn't asked me for trades. The only thing I heard Darko say is that he's going to Europe next year." Milicic last appeared in a game on Nov. 1.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Miller Downplays Argument With McMillan, Wants To Stay In Portland

Miller Downplays Argument With McMillan, Wants To Stay In Portland

Portland point guard Andre Miller opened up to the media on Friday about a heated conversation he had with head coach Nate McMillan one day earlier.

"Just things that happen on every team. Eighty-two games, ups and downs, disagreements, good times, bad times, you know, you learn from it and move on," Miller said.

The veteran said that everything is fine between him and McMillan and that he apologized to his teammates.

"That was just something we cleared up as a team, man to man. It was definitely nothing to be made a big deal out of. This happens on every team and it wasn't a big deal to me, you know, we just want to move past it. We learn from our experiences and move on," Miller added.

He even discussed the possibility of a trade.

"Anything's possible. I understand that it's a business, but, you know, I came here for a reason. And the reason was to win and that's what the team is doing, regardless of the injuries. And I'm the type of player that doesn't bail out when things aren't going my way. I want to contribute to the team. I don't have any personal agendas but winning. And that's all that matters. I think I'm a professional, a good character guy, and I feel that's what this organization is and that's why I want to be here."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: 76ers Refuse To Give Jordan Vote Of Confidence

76ers Refuse To Give Jordan Vote Of Confidence

Philadelphia coach Eddie Jordan is officially on the hot seat.

76ers president Ed Stefanski refused to say that Jordan would finish out the season with the team, which is off to a 10-24 start.

"It's not just the head coach," Stefanski said before the 76ers took on the Raptors on Friday night. "It's the coaches, the players and myself. No one is happy here."

"If you're looking at the record, I haven't done a real good job so far," the executive added.

When asked to review Jordan, Stefanski simply said, "I'm not happy with anything."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Anthony Randolph May Have Broken Ankle

Anthony Randolph May Have Broken Ankle

Warriors forward Anthony Randolph may be out for a significant period of time after suffering an ankle injury on Friday night against the Kings.

After the game, Golden State announced that X-rays showed Randolph suffered a sprain and a possible fracture.

Team sources told the Oakland Tribune that the preliminary diagnosis is a fracture and he'd be out four to six weeks.

Randolph was trying to contest a shot by Kings forward Jason Thompson when he landed awkwardly on his ankle.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Lakers Among 14 Teams That Owe Luxury Tax

Lakers Among 14 Teams That Owe Luxury Tax

Fourteen NBA teams are in line to pay luxury tax this July unless they make moves prior to February's trade deadline.

ESPN published the list of teams this weekend, with the Lakers having the biggest liability.

Below are the 14 teams that owe luxury tax and their current total:

Lakers ($21,430,778)
    Mavericks ($17,891,714)
    Celtics (14,324,318)
    Knicks ($14,107,734)
    Cavaliers ($13,011,251)
    Magic (12,574,601)
    Spurs ($10,185,572)
    Wizards ($8,658,888)
    Nuggets ($5,490,379)
    Suns ($4,887,977)
    Jazz ($4,858,225)
    Hornets ($3,331,809)
    Heat ($2,817,658)
    Rockets ($2,611,747)
    VT

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Sean Williams Waived By New Jersey

Sean Williams Waived By New Jersey

The New Jersey Nets have requested waivers on forward Sean Williams, Nets President Rod Thorn announced today. Williams, who was selected by the Nets in the first round (17th overall) of the 2007 NBA Draft, averaged 4.3 ppg, 3.5 rpg and 1.2 bpg in 126 career games. This season, Williams appeared in 20 games for New Jersey with averages of 2.6 ppg, 2.3 rpg and 1.0 bpg.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Redd Leaves Game After Hurting Knee

Redd Leaves Game After Hurting Knee

Bucks guard Michael Redd left Sunday's game against the Lakers after hurting his left knee in the second quarter.

He immediately went to the locker room and did not return.

After the game, Milwaukee coach Scott Skiles said he wasn't aware of the injury's severity.

Redd has struggled with knee problems in recent seasons and it appears as though he may have suffered a setback in his on-going recovery from left knee surgery.
    VT

Jayson Williams pleads guilty to aggravated assault in 2002 shooting - Sporting News staff reports - NBA - Sporting News

Jayson Williams pleads guilty to aggravated assault in 2002 shooting

SOMERVILLE, N.J. — Former basketball star Jayson Williams pleaded guilty Monday to aggravated assault for accidentally killing a limousine driver in his bedroom, finally closing one notable chapter in his troubled post-NBA life.

Williams was awaiting retrial on a reckless manslaughter count but pleaded guilty to the lesser count for the 2002 death of Costas Christofi.

The guilty plea to the assault charge carries a minimum 18-month sentence because a gun was involved. The more serious charge of reckless manslaughter carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence.

Last week, Williams was charged with drunken driving after crashing his SUV into a tree in New York.

Williams was acquitted in 2004 of aggravated manslaughter and convicted of trying to cover up the crime. The jury deadlocked on a reckless manslaughter count and a retrial on that charge was due to start this week.

Witnesses testified during the trial that Williams was showing off a shotgun in his bedroom when he snapped the weapon shut and it fired, hitting Christofi in the chest. They also testified that Williams initially put the gun in the dead man's hands and told witnesses to lie about what happened.

The defense maintained the shooting was an accident and that Williams panicked afterward.

Years of legal sparring followed the trial.

In November, it appeared a plea deal had been reached, but was indefinitely postponed at the last minute. His lawyers asked to be removed from his defense.

Williams had been free on bail since the Feb. 14, 2002, shooting. He paid more than $2 million in 2003 to settle a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Christofi's family.

Williams, 41, played nine seasons with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets before a leg injury forced him to retire in 2000. He was in the second year of a six-year, $86 million contract.

He became an NBA analyst for NBC but was suspended after Christofi's shooting. He attempted a short-lived comeback in the minor league Continental Basketball Association in 2005.

Williams has suffered several recent personal setbacks.

His wife filed for divorce last year and police used a stun gun on him in a New York hotel after a female friend said he was acting suicidal. He was charged with assault in May after allegedly punching a man in the face outside a North Carolina bar, but charges were dropped.

Williams' father, E.J., with whom he owned a construction business, died in South Carolina in November.

Last week, he was charged with drunken driving after crashing his SUV into a tree in New York. He was in the passenger seat when officers arrived, and he told them someone else had been driving, according to police. But witnesses told police they saw him in the driver's seat, and officers said no one else was in the car. He is due back in a Manhattan court March 3 on that charge.
    That didn't take long...
    VT

Like clockwork.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Redd Out For Season With ACL, MCL Tears

Redd Out For Season With ACL, MCL Tears

Michael Redd suffered tears to the anterior cruciate ligament and medial collateral ligament of his left knee during the game Sunday. He will miss the remainder of the season.

This is the same injury -- tears to both knee ligaments -- that Redd suffered approximately one year ago.

Redd is 30 years of age and the injury is considered career threatening.

“We are deeply disappointed for Michael who worked so hard to make it back from this injury,” said John Hammond in a statement to RealGM. “We know Michael will work tirelessly to get himself healthy again and we will support him fully in his efforts.

“Although Michael is out for the season, we still have over half the season to play. That gives all of our players, especially our younger guys, the opportunity to earn more playing time the rest of the season.
    VT

DrWho17 is offline MotownSports Fan

Caron Butler on Rockets' wish list - TrueHoop Blog - ESPN

+ Having lost 13 straight games, the perimeter-heavy Detroit Pistons would like to get their hands on Carlos Boozer. A Boozer-for-Rip Hamilton trade works, but Utah doesn't want to take back the three years, $38 million remaining on Hamilton's contract, even though he'd made a sweet backcourt mate for Deron Williams.
    Was thinking about this, what about Boozer/Kirlenko for Hamilton/Prince. Utah gets cap relief this year about 7 million, gets a player they need at the 2 on a reasonable contract, gets an expiring for next year, and this for a two guys they don't want, and one who will walk next year.

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Despite Apparent Offers, Hornets Unwilling To Deal Paul, West
    Despite Apparent Offers, Hornets Unwilling To Deal Paul, West

Jeff Bower, general manager/head coach of the Hornets, did not deny that teams have called expressing interest in trading for Chris Paul or David West. One reported deal this week had the San Antonio Spurs willing to exchange point guard Tony Parker for Paul.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have expressed interest in West since November.

Since last season, the Dallas Mavericks have expressed interest in obtaining Paul and taking on the remainder of Peja Stojakovic's hefty contract to make the deal more attractive for the Hornets.

But Bower said the Hornets have no intentions of trading away any members of their core to get under the luxury-tax threshold.

"The foundation of our plan has always been to maintain our core group of players and to look at ways that wouldn't affect our overall basketball team on the court," Bower said.

The Hornets are very close to being save from the luxury tax.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Dallas Went After Boozer With Money-Saving Move For Jazz
    Dallas Went After Boozer With Money-Saving Move For Jazz

The Mavs made an attempt to convince Utah to part with Carlos Boozer by proposing a significant cost-saving deal, according to sources.

Utah was not swayed by the potential $2.5M in savings.

Dallas offered the partially guaranteed contract of Drew Gooden, along with Kris Humphries and Shawne Williams in their offer for Boozer.

Instead of an indicator of future frugality, Utah's trade with Oklahoma City that dealt Eric Maynor and Matt Harpring saved them significantly and makes dealing Boozer less urgent.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Heat Will Take First Big Free Agent To Commit
    Heat Will Take First Big Free Agent To Commit

The Miami Heat have LeBron James as their top outside free agent target, but their top priority overall will be to re-sign Dwyane Wade, according to two sources.

``They're going to get a feel for who they have the best shot at and will craft their strategy accordingly,'' a source close to the Heat said. ``They will pursue more than one guy. James is their top choice, but if they get a yes from Chris Bosh or Amare Stoudemire, I'd be shocked if they told either to hold on so they can wait on LeBron'' -- unless Miami has strong reason to believe James is coming. ``If they get one of those three, they would feel confident they can keep Wade. Their biggest anxiety is losing Wade.''

The Heat expects to have between $17 million and $22 million in cap space after re-signing Wade.
    VT

http://www.hoopsworld.com/HeadlineSt...14#STORY_23640

Lakers First Team to Reach 3,000 Wins

Andrew Bynum posted 22 points and 11 rebounds, and the Los Angeles Lakers became the first NBA team to have 3,000 wins with a 100-95 win over the Dallas Mavericks at American Airlines Center.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Lakers Unlikely To Swing Major Trade
    Lakers Unlikely To Swing Major Trade

The Lakers aren't likely to pull off a major trade prior to next month's deadline.

Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times writes that the Lakers don't possess the right contracts to make a significant move.

They have the expiring contracts of Adam Morrison at $5.3 million, Derek Fisher at $5 million and Jordan Farmar at $1.9 million, but most teams will want Los Angeles to take back long-term, expensive deals in return.

The Lakers already have the league's highest payroll at $91.3 million, which includes an additional luxury tax hit of $21.4 million.

In addition, the team has already committed $83.7 million towards just eight players for 2010-11.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Orlando Could Become Gilbert's Landing Spot
    Orlando Could Become Gilbert's Landing Spot

It is appearing unlikely that Gilbert Arenas will ever play for the Wizards again, leading many to speculate on where he could possibly land.

Sources told ESPN.com that Magic general manager Otis Smith, who was part of Golden State’s brain trust when the Warriors drafted Arenas in 2001, continues to be one of Arenas’ closest confidantes in the league.

Sources say it’s a virtual certainty that Arenas will lobby Smith to be the GM who gives Arenas a second chance, largely based on the strength of that friendship.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Knicks Don't Dismiss Notion Of Dealing For Arenas
    Knicks Don't Dismiss Notion Of Dealing For Arenas

Donnie Walsh didn't entirely dismiss the concept of New York trading for Gilbert Arenas when asked about it on Friday.

"I don't know if he's available, and I don’t know if he’s going to be able to play. There are a lot of questions, and we’ll have to see as time passes what the story is, but I know this: When I had guys in the same situation, I traded all of them," Walsh said.

Walsh was running the Pacers when he was essentially forced to trade both Ron Artest and Stephen Jackson for behavior issues.

"I’d have to make that decision at that time," said Walsh when asked if he would sacrifice his future cap space to acquire Arenas. "But he’s a very good player."
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Milwaukee To Sign Stackhouse

Milwaukee To Sign Stackhouse

The Milwaukee Bucks will sign Jerry Stackhouse to a contract for the remainder of the 2009-10 season, according to NBA front-office sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Stackhouse is expected to formally sign with the Bucks on Monday or possibly Tuesday.

After an audition for the New York Knicks in August, Stackhouse rejected an invitation to Houston Rockets training camp in October to replace the injured Rashad McCants when the Rockets told Stackhouse he'd have to win a roster spot in camp to stick.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Marbury Signs Deal In China

Marbury Signs Deal In China

Stephon Marbury will become the highest profile American to play in the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) after he agreed to join China's Shanxi Club.

"The aim of signing Marbury is to pay back our fans and try to win more games in the rest of the season," said Shanxi boss Wang Xingjiang.

Marbury wanted to promote his personal brand of shoes in China and will not receive an exorbitant salary.

Shanxi last season hired former NBA player Bonzi Wells, who scored as many as 50 points a game.
    VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: No LeBron As Nate, Wallace, Brown To Compete In Dunk Contest
    No LeBron As Nate, Wallace, Brown To Compete In Dunk Contest

Nate Robinson of the New York Knicks will attempt to become the first three-time winner of the slam dunk competition when he defends his title in Dallas. Robinson will compete against the Charlotte Bobcats’ Gerald Wallace and the Los Angeles Lakers’ Shannon Brown.

The Toronto Raptors’ DeMar DeRozan and the Los Angeles Clippers’ Eric Gordon will compete in the NBA All-Star Slam Dunk-In, a single-round slam dunk competition that will be held at halftime of the Rookie Challenge.

LeBron James announced during last year's dunk contest that he would compete this season, but he is not scheduled to appear. Many have speculated that LeBron would be allowed to compete up until the start of the contest, should he change his mind.
    VT

This years all-star jerseys.

VT

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: Tyreke Evans Sued In Delaware County

Tyreke Evans Sued In Delaware County

Sacramento rookie Tyreke Evans and his cousin are amongst four named in a wrongful-death civil suit filed in Delaware County, the Philadelphia Inquirer is reporting.

The family of Marcus Reason, who was killed by Jamar Evans, Tyreke's cousin, in November 2007 in a drive-by shooting, is asking for a judgment in excess of $50,000.

In January 2009, Jamar Evans pleaded guilty to third-degree murder and weapons offenses. He was sentenced to nine to 20 years for murder and other weapons charges. He also received eight years of probation.

Jamar Evans was 16 when he pulled a gun and fired from the passenger side of a Ford Expedition driven by Tyreke Evans.

Tyreke Evans drove off immediately after the gunfire. He was not charged in the crime, and police said he cooperated in their investigation.
    VT

Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys | Dime Magazine (www.dimemag.com) : Daily NBA News, NBA Trades, NBA Rumors, Basketball Videos, Sneakers

Top 15 Most Popular NBA Jerseys

When it comes to NBA jerseys, there’s probably no bigger popularity contest or indicator. Sure some T-Mac fans can sit at home and keep voting for him to start in the All-Star Game, but are they rushing to the NBA Store in New York City or shopping on NBAStore.com for his threads? I don’t think so. With that in mind, here are the NBA’s Most Popular Jerseys since the start of the 2009-10 NBA season.

1. Kobe Bryant – Lakers
    2. LeBron James – Cavaliers
    3. Dwight Howard- Magic
    4. Derrick Rose – Bulls
    5. Dwyane Wade – Heat
    6. Kevin Garnett – Celtics
    7. Chris Paul – Hornets
    8. Paul Pierce – Celtics
    9. Shaquille O’Neal – Cavaliers
    10. Pau Gasol – Lakers
    11. Carmelo Anthony – Nuggets
    12. Steve Nash – Suns
    13. David Lee – Knicks
    14. Allen Iverson – 76ers
    15. Kevin Durant – Thunder

While nothing on this list is too shocking, here are a couple observations:

- How is David Lee on this list? Sure he plays in New York and is the fan favorite, but to see more jerseys than Durant (and even Iverson) is kind of crazy to me.

- Next year, a lot of these guys are going to sell even more jerseys after they switch teams in free agency. I’m looking at you Bron, Shaq and Lee.

- Why is no one buying Dirk Nowitzki jerseys? And where is Brandon Jennings on this list? I can understand why no one wants an Amar’e Stoudemire or Chris Bosh jerseys, because they’re soon to be throwbacks.

- I wonder how many jerseys Gilbert Arenas sold this year, and what the NBA did with all the extra stock when he was suspended.

- Does anyone, besides Austin, own a Tim Duncan jersey?

- When will Brandon Roy crack the Top 15?
    VT

RipHam23232 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious View Post
    - How is David Lee on this list? Sure he plays in New York and is the fan favorite, but to see more jerseys than Durant (and even Iverson) is kind of crazy to me.

- Next year, a lot of these guys are going to sell even more jerseys after they switch teams in free agency. I’m looking at you Bron, Shaq and Lee.

- Why is no one buying Dirk Nowitzki jerseys? And where is Brandon Jennings on this list? I can understand why no one wants an Amar’e Stoudemire or Chris Bosh jerseys, because they’re soon to be throwbacks.

- I wonder how many jerseys Gilbert Arenas sold this year, and what the NBA did with all the extra stock when he was suspended.

- Does anyone, besides Austin, own a Tim Duncan jersey?

- When will Brandon Roy crack the Top 15?
    1. He plays in NY and is a fan favorite.

3. Brandon Jennings plays in Milwaukee, I wouldnt be surprised if the average fan has yet to hear much about him.
    2010-11 AAW: Niklas Kronwall

Former Adoptees: Justin Verlander, Ruddy Lugo, Kirk Maltby, Gosder Cherilus, Eric Gordon

RealGM: Basketball Wiretap Archives: With Implications For 2010 Cap, Ticket Sales Beating Forecasts

With Implications For 2010 Cap, Ticket Sales Beating Forecasts

This season's NBA ticket revenues have not dropped as much as the league office projected over the summer. The league expected a 6% to 7% drop in ticket sales but there has been only a 1.7% drop to date.

Attendance is flat or ahead of last season's pace in the majority of NBA arenas. The Nets and Pistons account for most of the small overall decline.

"The fact that we're only down roughly 1.7% going into tonight's games, I'm pleased about," said NBA executive Chris Granger.

With this large piece of basketball-related income so far beating forecasts, the league's salary cap might drop significantly less than first feared. The NBA sent a memo to teams last July warning of a decline in the cap to a figure between $50.4 million and $53.6 million for the 2010-2011 season. But revenues could be on pace for the 2010 cap to be above $54 million and perhaps closer to this season's cap of $57.7 million.
    VT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast