LineCrosser is offline MotownSports Fan

Default What does this comic strip mean?

I just noticed this comic strip in my local paper's comics section. I've never heard of it before, but I was reading the whole section, so I checked it out. I stared at this particular strip for ten minutes, and I still don't get it.

Can someone explain this to me? I don't want to know if it's funny or unfunny... I just want to know what the cartoonist's joke or message is. It simply makes no sense to me. I also ran it past my brother and best friend, who have very good analytical skills and senses of humor, and they don't get it either.

Anybody?
    As God is my witness... I thought turkeys could fly.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

the Easter Bunny tried to move in on Santa's gig.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    the Easter Bunny was bogarted Santa's gig.
    But why? And why deliver Easter eggs at Christmas and not Easter?

rhino is offline MotownSports Fan

It's more fun to deliver presents than eggs so the bunny wants in?
    "If he could have, Guillen would've tried to steal Weaver's girl, scratched Weaver's car, stolen Weaver's lunch and if he had access to a metal folding chair he probably would have tried to hit Weaver with it." -Joe Posnanski

2008 & 2009 AAT: Mike Hessman; 2010 Cory Costo; 2011 Danny Worth

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    It's more fun to deliver presents than eggs so the bunny wants in?
    But is that a guess, or is that really how you interpret it?

DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Jealousy that Santa's gig seems to outrival the Easter Bunny's gig, so he thinks by stealing Santa's holiday (and what makes Santa, Santa) will make him more popular.

That's my take. However, I think it's a pretty stupid comic. I don't find it funny at all. But then again, I rip out the comic sections for my wife out of the papers here at work a lot. I'll read them and find maybe 1-2 funny a week - Maybe. She loves them all. So I guess it's more preference. I'm sure she'd find this comic funny.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

He wants in for the milk and cookies maybe? I don't read the strip but I agree it does seem too obscure unless there is some history already established in the strip.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

RedRamage is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post
    Jealousy that Santa's gig seems to outrival the Easter Bunny's gig, so he thinks by stealing Santa's holiday (and what makes Santa, Santa) will make him more popular.

That's my take. However, I think it's a pretty stupid comic. I don't find it funny at all. But then again, I rip out the comic sections for my wife out of the papers here at work a lot. I'll read them and find maybe 1-2 funny a week - Maybe. She loves them all. So I guess it's more preference. I'm sure she'd find this comic funny.
    This would be my take. And while I do read most of the comics and find them mildly amusing, I can sympathize with you Trop... my wife doesn't generally find them funny at all. Different strokes.

For the record, I don't find this one particularly humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRamage View Post
    This would be my take. And while I do read most of the comics and find them mildly amusing, I can sympathize with you Trop... my wife doesn't generally find them funny at all. Different strokes.

For the record, I don't find this one particularly humorous.
    You know, it's got to be a harder job than you'd ever imagine. There are some I have liked in the past. I'll usually look for Frank & Ernest. I don't know if Herman is still around, but that was one I liked. I liked the Far Side as well. In the Oakland Press, I've learned maybe Speed Bump will be funny, or at least mildly entertaining a couple of times a week.

But, it's got to be hard being original and creating interesting and funny panels 7 times a week. They have these characters and you create their personality and there's only so much you can do with them. I mean, what is Family Circus going to have now that it didn't do 25 years ago. Sunday its going to be the tracking around some place with all the stuff the kids do. About twice a year Grandma and Grandpa come over and visit. But making original stuff with the same characters and personalities - what can you do?

So I don't mean to rip on them. It has to be a challenge. I just find them overly amusing, for the most part. And I have gave them a chance. Two years ago, I saved just about every Oakland Press and every Flint Journal and made my wife "Newspaper Comic Book" out of a couple of hard-cover sketch books I got at a craft store. The biggest challenge was getting rid of the comics that overlapped between the two papers. I try to make my wife something silly like this every two or three years. But doing that project I did pretty much read most of the comics, so I do know what is out there. And there were some funny ones, but if it probably didn't average even one a day.

But no more books. Ripping them out and taking them home occasionally is enough.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Obviously it has homoeroticism overtones.
    "I'm disabled"

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Maybe a poke at other retail holidays starting to encroach on each other? Gosh, I was seeing Christmas trees before Halloween.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Well, the Easter Bunny is putting on his boots and he has his Easter Eggs next to him, so it looks pretty clear to me like Santa caught him trying to horn in on his gig. What I don't really understand here is why the Bunny wants to deliver Easter Eggs on Christmas Eve. Maybe it's because Santa has a reindeer-charged sleigh to deliver his gifts, while the Bunny has to hop around the world manually (pedally?) to deliver his eggs.

It's not really very clear, is it?

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

You know, it's got to be a harder job than you'd ever imagine....But, it's got to be hard being original and creating interesting and funny panels 7 times a week. They have these characters and you create their personality and there's only so much you can do with them. I mean, what is Family Circus going to have now that it didn't do 25 years ago. Sunday its going to be the tracking around some place with all the stuff the kids do. About twice a year Grandma and Grandpa come over and visit. But making original stuff with the same characters and personalities - what can you do?
    a) good Family Circus reference.

b) Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes fame) described the very things you are discussing here as why he got out of the game. He simply ran out of fresh material that met his standards and didn't want Calvin and Hobbes to be a shadow of what it was, so he retired rather than churn out tired crap.

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

There is probably more discussion about this strip and its' meaning in this thread than the rest of the world combined.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    There is probably more discussion about this strip and its' meaning in this thread than the rest of the world combined.
    Further proof of what an elite group of trivial-minded joes we truly are...

We should try to find the author and get him to make some comments here. I'm sure one post by the author will help get this to 100 posts.

a) good Family Circus reference.

b) Bill Watterson (Calvin and Hobbes fame) described the very things you are discussing here as why he got out of the game. He simply ran out of fresh material that met his standards and didn't want Calvin and Hobbes to be a shadow of what it was, so he retired rather than churn out tired crap.
    You have to give him credit for that. It would be so easy to keep the cash cow going and kind of push the conflicts in his mind aside. I didn't know that. In fact, I didn't know Calvin and Hobbes was not in print any more. But next time I see a winning Tigers' game thread, I'll give ol' Bill Watterson a salute for the decision.

I wonder why more comic strips don't allow their characters to age. I think "Better or For Worse" does this - at least I think that's the one my wife said that's true. You don't even have to age them annually. You can make it two years is one year to slow the process. But it would seem to me doing that would help create some more material. Even if it is the same characters, they are growing older so you it makes sense their personalities would change.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

We should try to find the author and get him to make some comments here. I'm sure one post by the author will help get this to 100 posts.
    As we all jump on the new guy and his idiotic first post.....we need a distraction from the current political arena.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    As we all jump on the new guy and his idiotic first post.....we need a distraction from the current political arena.
    Hey! Is this directed at me?

guy incognito is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Obviously it has homoeroticism overtones.
    Don't know whether you were kidding or not, but that's my take as well. There's supposed to be some kind of crossdressing/roleplaying thing going on with the EB.

Gimme Dagwood eating a big sandwich and taking a nap any day.

lionstigersand... is offline MotownSports Fan

Vorshtein?
    I love it here. True story: They asked me to play the University of Michigan and I said, ‘No, I don’t like that school. Any school that has to have a football stadium that big must have a small penis.' - Conan O'Brien at the Breslin, on the topic of UofM

Blog Entries

2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    Hey! Is this directed at me?
    Not at all, the comic author.

VT

Not at all, the comic author.
    I guess I didn't understand the "idiotic first post" comment, as the cartoonist is not a member here, to my knowledge, and I created this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LineCrosser View Post
    I guess I didn't understand the "idiotic first post" comment, as the cartoonist is not a member here, to my knowledge, and I created this thread.
    No man, I love how you occasionally shake up the status quo. Good screen name. I referenced the part about getting the author to join and comment and then subsequently jumping on the newbie (author).

VT

Velma Dinkley is offline MotownSports Fan

For those who questioned why deliver Easter eggs on Christmas eve; I think the only reason the eggs were incorporated was simply to be able to identify that it's the Easter Bunny. Without the basket of eggs most folks probably wouldn't have known it's supposed to be the Easter Bunny trying to get in on Santa's gig; instead it would look like some sad bunny who wanted to ride shotgun with Santa on his special night but was told no.

As for what I immediately thought when I saw it, the E.B. just wants in on what Santa has because Christmas and Santa get more attention than Easter and the E.B. You can certainly go deeper as someone mentioned cross dressing. Or it could be a religious statement that the birth of Christ is more celebrated then his resurrection. Or maybe it is about Christmas being more commercial than Easter. But I think that's just reading way too much into a simple comic that really isn't that funny to begin with; I just see a slightly sad E.B. wanting to get some of the lovin' Santa gets this time of year.
    Last edited by Velma Dinkley; 12-19-2012 at 03:33 AM.
    JINKIES!

I see more in the explanation than I do in the strip.

VT

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

One more guess. Matt Groening killed "Life in Hell" this year - so maybe its supposed to be Binky looking for a gig. Long shot.
    'No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

2014 AAT: WXXXy AXXXXs/Ezequiell Carrera
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Very good! He always said that was one cartoon that people didn't get.
    "I'm disabled"

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Very good! He always said that was one cartoon that people didn't get.

Other than the pure absurdity of cows having tools, I don't get this one either.
    VT Twitter

I know it's only rock and roll but I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biff Mayhem View Post
    Other than the pure absurdity of cows having tools, I don't get this one either.
    Here is the explanation from Gary Larson:
    The "Cow Tools" episode is one that will probably haunt me for the rest of my life. A week after it was published back in 1982, I wanted to crawl into a hole somewhere and die.<br>Cows, as some Far Side readers know, are a favorite subject of mine. I've always found them to be the quintessentially absurd animal for situations even more absurd. Even the name "cow," to me, is intrinsically funny.<br>And so one day I started thinking back on an anthropology course I had studies in college and how we learned that man used to be defined as "the only animalthat made and shaped tools." Unfortunately, researchers discovered that certain primates and even some bird species did the same thing--so the deinition had to be extended somewhat to avoid awkward situations such as someone hiring a crew of chimpanzees to remodel their kitchen.<br>Inevitably, I began thinking about cows, and what if they, too, were discovered as toolmakers. What would they make? Primitive tools are always, well, primitive-looking--appearing rather nondescript to the lay person. So, it seemed to me whatever a <i>cow</i> would make would have to be even a couple notches further down the "skill-o-meter."<br>I imagined, and subsequently drew, a cow standing next to her workbench, proudly displaying her handiwork (hoofiwork?). The "cow tools" were supposed to be just meaningless artifacts--only the cow or a cowthropologist is supposed to know what they are used for.<br>The first mistake I made was in thinking this was funny. The second was making one of the tools resemble a crude handsaw--which made already confused people decide that their only hope in understanding the cartoon meant deciphering what the <i>other</i> tools were as well. Of course, they didn't have a chance in hell.<br>But, for the first time, "Cow tools" awakened me to the fact that my profession was not just an isolated exercise in the corner of my apartment. The day after its release, my phone began to ring with inquiries from reporters and radio stations from regions in the country where The Far Side was published. Everyone, it seemed, wanted to know what in the world this cartoon <i>meant!</i> My syndicate was equally bombarded, and I was ultimately asked to write a press release explaining "Cow tools." Someone sent me the front page of one newspaper which, down in one corner, ran the tease, "Cow Tools: What does it mean? (See pg. B14.)" I was mortified.<br>In the first year ot two of drawing The Far Side, I always believed my career perpetually hung by a thread. And this time I was convinced it had been finally severed. Ironically, when the dust had finally settled and as a result of all the "noise" it made, "Cow tools" became more of a boost to The Far Side than anything else.<br>So, in summary, I drew a really weird, obtuse cartoon that no one understood and wasn't funny and therefore I went on to even grester success and recognition.<br>Yeah--I like this country.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
    "I'm disabled"

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

It means this particular cartoonist isn't very good at his job.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

No man, I love how you occasionally shake up the status quo. Good screen name. I referenced the part about getting the author to join and comment and then subsequently jumping on the newbie (author).
    I get it now. Sorry, the way it was worded was confusing to me, and I guess I went straight to acting rashly in response. I don't normally get called an idiot by anybody but my wife.
    Last edited by LineCrosser; 12-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.

Biff Mayhem is offline MotownSports Fan

Here is the explanation from Gary Larson:

So I did get it! That story is very funny though and I'm glad it worked out for him.
    VT Twitter

I know it's only rock and roll but I like it.

Blog Entries

Some newspapers (such as our Spokesman-Review) dropped the strip for a while because of complaints about "Cow Tools."
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke