Thread: Wankel?

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default Wankel?

How many remember Wankel?

Just ran across this entry:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/27/m...rotary-engine/

Mazda builds final rotary engine

Mark it down, auto enthusiasts. Mazda built its last rotary engine on Friday, June 22.

By final, we mean the line that assembled Renesis engines for Mazda's RX-8 sports car was idled, and there are currently no plans to restart its production. Mazda has a long-running history of building Wankel powerplants, and its production of the high-revving engine has seen a few stutters since Mazda put the first dual-rotor Wankel in a production car in 1967.

Of course, it's always possible that Mazda finds a way to solve – or at least drastically improve – the failings of the Renesis: high fuel consumption and poor emissions. We've been hearing about the so-called 16X rotary for years, and we'd love to see it enter production at some point in the not-terribly-distant future.

For now, though, join us in remembering some of Mazda's past rotary-powered machinery in the image galleries above and below. Even if the world never sees another production rotary, at least it's been a good ride.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Mazda is working on a high performance green turbo diesel that may debut at LeMans. Mazda has been prolific in racing since the 70's and I would think this motor will also find it's way into the RX8 or 9. I recall when the bearings wore out, the motor was junked. A friend learned how to rebuild them and began selling them back to racers. His improvements were much better than the current day race motors.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

My dad used to have an RX7... that thing was fun to drive.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

screwball is offline MotownSports Fan

They are still around for other things as well. A few years ago I did some work for a place in Ohio who are developing a rotary engine for use in vehicles like jet ski's, and other small crafts. Not sure where they are now, but the design is basically the same. Will run on gas, propane, or natty gas.

Neat stuff.
    The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it - John Kenneth Galbraith

CMRivdog is offline MotownSports Fan
    Farmington Hills, Michigan, United States

I came close to buying a GLC in 1978. I weighed the decision against getting married and moving to a new city.

The marriage has lasted 34 years. Much longer than the "Great Little Car" would have
    “There are only two means of refuge from the miseries of life:
    Music and Cats!” Albert Schweitzer

Gehringer_2 is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by screwball View Post
    They are still around for other things as well. A few years ago I did some work for a place in Ohio who are developing a rotary engine for use in vehicles like jet ski's, and other small crafts. Not sure where they are now, but the design is basically the same. Will run on gas, propane, or natty gas.

Neat stuff.
    I knew one of the engineers on GMs Wankel development team back in the day (yes they made a major effort but never solved the sealing to a solution they could sell to corporate). The house was full Wankel mathoms. Rotors turned into bookends, doorstops, lamps, you name it!
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    My dad used to have an RX7... that thing was fun to drive.
    I owned one....second generation. Kind of gutless at low rpms but you could quickly red line it to 8k. On west TX highways where everything is flat and you could see forever I once took it to just over 120 mph. I kind of wince thinking about that.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

apabruce is offline MotownSports Fan

I owned a little Mazda station wagon in the early 70s. It had a rotary engine and was a lot of fun to drive. I remember assembling the plastic model of the engine.

I divorced the car along with the wife who drove it in 1977. She got the Wankel, I got the Rabbit.
    Bruce

Mammals suck.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwit View Post
    I owned one....second generation. Kind of gutless at low rpms but you could quickly red line it to 8k. On west TX highways where everything is flat and you could see forever I once took it to just over 120 mph. I kind of wince thinking about that.
    The RX7 and early 240Z competed in the same racing classes and I agree with you. In the corners, the Datsun torque would pull the RX7, but speeds were equivalent.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

screwball is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I knew one of the engineers on GMs Wankel development team back in the day (yes they made a major effort but never solved the sealing to a solution they could sell to corporate). The house was full Wankel mathoms. Rotors turned into bookends, doorstops, lamps, you name it!
    Part of my career has been in development. I'm used to seeing humans among piles of prototype parts stacked around them in their cell (I call them cells, most people call them cubes). We live in a cave surrounded by parts, drawings, computers, phones, and food droppings all over our desk because that's where we eat (and some of us are pigs).

It might sound sexy but it's really not. Especially when it doesn't work.
    The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it - John Kenneth Galbraith