Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Default I need some lazagna!!!

Anyone that follows me on Facebook knows I'm a huge food junkie. No idea why, but the last year or so I've developed a huge craving for Lazagna. I keep buying these frozen things from Stouffer's and they're actually really good, but I'd love to try making my own.

Anybody have a good recipe? This needs to happen soon!
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

smr-nj is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Yoda, I'll put together my recipe for it (ok, actually my grandmother's), but first, you have to acknowledge that you spell the word like this:

L A S A G N A.

No "z"........... Capicse?

Give me a day or so and I'll put one together. Nobody in the family's ever written it down.
    Of all the things in life I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries

question: Do you make your own meatballs?

Blog Entries

Holy crap... that would be amaSing :)

I don't always make my own but I have in the past.
    Facebook

Walt is offline MotownSports Fan

The lack of spelling from a guy that does tattoos is unnerving.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Lousluggage is offline MotownSports Fan

All of a sudden I feel like a trip to the North End might be in my near future... lasagna (or eggplant parm), a slice of pizza, followed by cannoli...

...then I'll walk home and do my absolute toughest workout. ;)
    This spot, and a place in my heart, is reserved for TC.

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

There are also some good recipes on the internet. I'd suggest looking for one that tells you how to make your own sauce as well.

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lousluggage View Post
    All of a sudden I feel like a trip to the North End might be in my near future... lasagna (or eggplant parm), a slice of pizza, followed by cannoli...

...then I'll walk home and do my absolute toughest workout. ;)
    Just thinking about working out with a huge Italian meal in my stomach triggers my Ralph reflex.

hueytaxi is offline MotownSports Fan

I'm not a lasagna fan, but I would trust our ladies of MTS to lead you straight. I am learning t expand my Italian horizons though.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN; MMXV AAT: TBD
    VT

Melody is online now MotownSports Fan

Not homemade, but next time you buy frozen you should try the Marie Callendar's. We like it a lot better than the Stouffers. Walmart carries it.

I've got a recipe, but I think I'd rather try Sue's grandmother's.

Archer Farms at Target is also very good.
    It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. -Carl Sagan http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/...yx-d41sg12.png

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Not homemade, but next time you buy frozen you should try the Marie Callendar's. We like it a lot better than the Stouffers. Walmart carries it.

I've got a recipe, but I think I'd rather try Sue's grandmother's.
    I have and I like it quite a lot as well. All of her food is great.
    Facebook

Melody is online now MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Archer Farms at Target is also very good.
    Most of those Archer Farms products are surprisingly good. They have a number of products that I like better than the name brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Melody View Post
    Most of those Archer Farms products are surprisingly good. They have a number of products that I like better than the name brand.
    Everyone seems to think that archer farms is just a generic store brand, but it isn't. Target's generic is market pantry.

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

Everyone seems to think that archer farms is just a generic store brand, but it isn't. Target's generic is market pantry.
    that's because they're right. archer farms is also one of target's own store brands. it's just positioned as a bit more upscale than market pantry.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

pfife is offline MotownSports Fan

We've gotten frozen lazagna from both Walmart and Cosco (they're sold in packs of 2 trays, not sure the brand names) and both of them are totally superb. They kick the crap out of stouffers. Crammed with riccotta.

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    that's because they're right. archer farms is also one of target's own store brands. it's just positioned as a bit more upscale than market pantry.
    Only one in 5,000 have a severed human finger as opposed to one per 2,500 for market pantry.
    "I'm disabled"

Quote Originally Posted by Antrat View Post
    Only one in 5,000 have a severed human finger as opposed to one per 2,500 for market pantry.
    plus, they're a finger from an actual member of the archer family, whereas market pantry fingers come from illegal immigrants working in the factory.
    Evil

To me there is a difference between a store brand and a generic. Generics usually just have the basic items without much imagination,and at a lower price point. This does not describe archer farms IMO. Last time I looked at lasagna in the freezer at target, there were no less than 4 varieties at about the same price as "name brands."

To me there is a difference between a store brand and a generic. Generics usually just have the basic items without much imagination,and at a lower price point. This does not describe archer farms IMO. Last time I looked at lasagna in the freezer at target, there were no less than 4 varieties at about the same price as "name brands."
    well, now you're confusing store brands with generics. generics are sold without a brand attached to the product. store brands are very much branded. you're labeling low price point store brands as generic and high price point store brands a store brands, which is just not accurate.
    Evil

well, now you're confusing store brands with generics. generics are sold without a brand attached to the product. store brands are very much branded. you're labeling low price point store brands as generic and high price point store brands a store brands, which is just not accurate.
    Well, I am glad I will no longer be mistaken about something so important.

Well, I am glad I will no longer be mistaken about something so important.
    i was an advertising major.
    Evil

chasfh is offline MotownSports Fan

Are there actually any real "generics" anymore, anyway? The kind sold in the white box with oly the word "lasagna"? I haven't seen that kind of generics packaging in maybe thirty years. Do they still have those somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
    Are there actually any real "generics" anymore, anyway? The kind sold in the white box with oly the word "lasagna"? I haven't seen that kind of generics packaging in maybe thirty years. Do they still have those somewhere?
    they do exist, and since there is no brand associated with them, they can be created pretty much instantly. but retailers have had tons of success with store brands, which leverage the brand equity of the associated stores, so they're a logical choice.
    Evil

PuNk42AE is offline MotownSports Fan

In our company the goal is around 25% Total Sales by Private Brand. Of course due to the economy the last few years we've been able to beat it by a good margin.
    VT B.R.B. "We only part to meet again"

2014 AAT: RHP Warwick Saupold

Æ

John_Brian_K is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Anyone that follows me on Facebook knows I'm a huge food junkie. No idea why, but the last year or so I've developed a huge craving for Lazagna. I keep buying these frozen things from Stouffer's and they're actually really good, but I'd love to try making my own.

Anybody have a good recipe? This needs to happen soon!
    I am huge believer in eating what you crave. When I crave a burger I eat a burger. As long as the cravings are not constant. I have gone through stretches where I will eat a certain food non-stop like you are doijg though.

On that note....my lasagna receipe is whatever looks good online when I type in 'lasagna receipe'

I always forget how I make it...so I just do a search and whatever looks or sounds good I will go with.

I always tend to under sauce my lasagna bigtime. It always comes out dry.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

screwball is offline MotownSports Fan

Lasagna and spaghetti sauce are/can be pretty close to the same thing.

Here's one to try;

Needed;
    1 crock pot
    1 lb lean beef/hamburger
    1 Italian sausage
    1 large can tomato juice (64 oz)
    1 small can tomato paste (6 oz) (Italian spiced if you can find it)
    1 oregano (maybe 1/4 cup but I really don't know - I just put it in and taste)
    1 onion powder (or real onions if you prefer)
    1 garlic powder (or use a real one)
    1 Parmesan cheese (about 1/8 cup) (not real sure - I just eye ball it)

The ratio is around 1/4 cup oregano, about 2-3 tablespoons of onion, and 1-2 garlic, and 1-2 Parmesan. Of course salt and pepper to taste.

For the sauce;

Pour can of tomato juice in crock pot and let get warm. Add can of tomato paste, oregano, garlic, onion powder, and parm. cheese. Put some cuts, holes or whatever in Italian sausage and add to pot. Brown hamburger and sprinkle with all the above ingredients, then add to pot. Only use what hamburger you want to the sauce, the rest is for meatballs if you want them. Let cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, depending on how hot your pot is.

Once cooked, you can use right away, but better if put in the fridge and used the next day. What is not used can be frozen. This will give you the sauce to make whatever kind of lasagna you want.

If you want meatballs, and perhaps spaghetti, the meat balls are made;

Meatballs;

Same stuff, same way, except;

Put you hamburger in a bowl. Add all ingredients above (minus sausage, but you could cut skin off and brown that too) with the addition of 1 egg (to hold things together) and the secret ingredient - potato chips. Yes, potato chips. I like to use a brand made locally because they are rippled and made different, but any will work. Put a few handful of chips in a plastic bag or between a folded sheet of wax paper. Take a rolling pin and roll them until they turn into little pieces.

Grab burger and ingredients and mix, adding the crushed chips until the mixture will ball up nicely. You will be able to tell by the feel. Roll burger into little balls, and then brown in skillet. I like to really cook them until almost dark brown and hard. Don't worry, they won't stay that way.

Add balls to crock pot (after draining on paper towels) and let cook for same length. Put over spaghetti, but again, better the next day, and is thicker too. The balls have to cook in the sauce. It makes them tasty, and they melt in your mouth.

Simple, easy, and yummy.
    The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it - John Kenneth Galbraith

Blog Entries

Ok, this is ----- to the best of my "guess-timates" of ingredient amounts ----- my grandmother's version of lasagna.

Feel free to tweek to suit your own taste. Leave the meat out if you just want a cheese lasagna. Works fine that way.

Some of the cheese ingredients may actually be more than you need, but better that than too little.

And re: the tomato sauce - it never hurts to have extra. Don't skimp when you're adding the sauce into the lasagna layers - the "no-cook" noodles soak up a lot of liquid.

One last thing - It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not bad - doesn't take so long. Enjoy the process! Impress your friends and family!

================================================== ========================

LASAGNA

*** 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish ****

Ingredients:

*1 pkg (9oz.) “no cook” lasagna noodles – (Ronzoni is a brand I’ve used) -
    note: If you're brave enough to boil your lasagne noodles, more power to you. I've never had a lot of luck - usually had to buy twice as much because half of them were stuck together or ripped apart.

*about 5 cups tomato sauce (if buying store sauce, get 2 – 24oz. jars)
    (It's great if you have your own homemade sauce that you’ve cooked your meat in, but if not, when you buy the jarred sauces, try to get one that’s fairly smooth --- like a marinara., or even a meat sauce. You don’t really want a chunky sauce with other vegetables in it.)

*3-4 meatballs mashed (4 – if “smallish” meatballs, 3 if reg/large ones)
    *2 Italian sausage (cooked) chopped (sweet or hot, your choice, or one of each)
    *about 1 1/2 lbs. whole milk ricotta cheese
    *2 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
    *1 extra large egg beaten (or 2 small/med)
    *½ - ¾ cups grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan if you prefer)
    *2 TBS fresh chopped parsley – or – 1 TBS dried parsley
    *Salt & Pepper

-----------------------------------
    Heat oven to 375 degrees
    -----------------------------------

In large bowl stir together ricotta, beaten egg, parsley, ½ cup grated cheese, and about 1 ¾ cups of mozzarella cheese. Season w/ salt & pepper (a shake or 2).

Spoon 1 – 1 ½ cups sauce into 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.

Place no-cook lasagne noodles into dish, lining the bottom. You may have to break a few into pieces to get the bottom covered.

Spread ½ of your cheese mixture onto the noodles (use a knife or cake spatula)
    Crumble half of your meat mixture on top of the cheese.

Pour another cup or so of sauce onto the top of this layer.

Repeat – another layer of noodles, cheese, meat, sauce.

Now, one more layer of noodle . Spoon more sauce over the noodles, sprinkle w/ the rest of your grated cheese, and lastly, the rest of your mozzarella cheese.
    Loosely cover with foil. (You don’t want the foil touching the cheese.)

Bake about 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
    If you like your top layer of mozzarella cheese browned, take the foil off and let it go another 5 or so minutes.

Now I want to make a spaghetti bake.

Blog Entries

One more thing....

If you take my grandmother's recipe and throw oregano into it, I'll come out there and chop your hands off.

Quote Originally Posted by smr-nj View Post
    One more thing....

If you take my grandmother's recipe and throw oregano into it, I'll come out there and chop your hands off.
    I would be tempted to add some spinach. I like the green stuff in my pasta, especially with ricotta.

Blog Entries

I would be tempted to add some spinach. I like the green stuff in my pasta, especially with ricotta.
    I think spinach would be great in it. I'd probably not use it with the meat version, though, but definitely w/the cheese version.
    I think a garlic/olive oil sauteed spinach added as a layer would be awesome.

I think spinach would be great in it. I'd probably not use it with the meat version, though, but definitely w/the cheese version.
    I think a garlic/olive oil sauteed spinach added as a layer would be awesome.
    Yeah, probably better as either meatless, of with a reduced amount of sausage.

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

I like to replace the ricotta with a bechamel sauce.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    I'm sure that would taste good, but isn't that more like a moussaka? Without the ricotta, I think we can safely say that it's no longer lasagna.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    i prefer to make mine with 1/2 ricotta and 1/2 cottage cheese. it lightens it up a bit.
    Evil

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

Mr. Bigglesworth is offline MotownSports Fan

And re: the tomato sauce - it never hurts to have extra. Don't skimp when you're adding the sauce into the lasagna layers - the "no-cook" noodles soak up a lot of liquid.
    QFT.

Long story that isn't relevent, I once used extra sauce -> lasagna turned out better -> now I often make my lasagna with twice the sauce originally called for.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bigglesworth View Post
    QFT.

Long story that isn't relevent, I once used extra sauce -> lasagna turned out better -> now I often make my lasagna with twice the sauce originally called for.
    Not long at all

and quite relevant.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

A "major food junkie" who is into Stouffer's? Hmm.

Plus, I don't think I've ever met anyone not into food.

Thanks to post #28. We are attempting to duplicate that as I write but without the meat and with spinach and eggplant. Salute!
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast