Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Default How much does a gun cost?

I have been thinking about spending some of my Christmas money on a gun. There just seems to be a rash of robberies and burglaries lately and I want to be able to defend myself. I don't like guns, but I understand the need. What kind of handgun would someone like me want? I don't have much money.......can you buy used guns anywhere?
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

hueytaxi is online now MotownSports Fan

Gun stores and pawn shops nation wide sell used guns. The first question should be how much time are you willing to invest to handle a gun safely?
    Your basic question indicates to me, a gun may not be your solution. Are you planning on carrying, using on the road or at home. All are factors to determine what is appropriate.
    I would not recommend a handgun for home protection. A fired round will most likely penetrate a wall and exit your living area being a danger to others. For the untrained, shotguns are best with #4 or smaller shot.

Back to the top.....you can buy a new 9mm semi automatic for <$150 or a good 9mm semiautomatic for >$700. You pay for quality. Used guns in good condition do not lose much value. Those I have purchased recently I value at 85% of my cost.

Think of alarm systems, a big dog, Mace or a stun gun before making the decision. Then if you decide to purchase, ask about an instructor who will work with you on your gun.
    Live your life for what it can be and not for what it was.

MMXIV AAT: KYLE RYAN
    VT

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

This is something I know almost nothing about. But when my oldest daughter's fiance decided that he wanted her to be able to protect herself in that way, he first signed her up for some classes at a local gun range so that she could handle several weapons and decide which of them she was most comfortable operating. She seemed to think that was very helpful.

She has her CHL, but AFAIK doesn't ever carry it with her. Honestly, it's more for his comfort when she's home alone than hers. As I recall, her weapon came from a pawn shop and cost in the $300-$400 range (in Texas). But she told me that she feels like her bulldog and alarm system are sufficient protection.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I keep a one iron by our bedside,. It seemingly cannot make solid contact with a golf ball but I am sure that it would make a serious dent in some loser intruder.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Great response Melody. I bought my daughter a .38 revolver after teaching her how to use it. She has not fired it since and I feel it is now a liability and a wasted asset.

VT

Melody is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    Great response Melody. I bought my daughter a .38 revolver after teaching her how to use it. She has not fired it since and I feel it is now a liability and a wasted asset.
    You know what? The fact that her fiance' thinks about these things, even if it's a bit over the top, makes us just love him more.

EDIT: He's not protective in the way that he thinks he has to protect her, but rather concerned with her ability to protect herself. I think that's just awesome.
    Last edited by Melody; 12-27-2011 at 01:21 AM.

Quick thought on semi automatic hand guns..........they use a magazine loaded with ammo. Those magazines have an internal spring that will lose strength if left loaded and idle. An empty magazine should always be available, a loaded & inserted magazine, and a loaded extra. These should be rotated, meaning unloaded in rotation at least every two months for reliability. I recall a cheap carbine that used a magazine and would jam on the 2nd round. I sold it at a good loss and found the weapon was fine, I just overtaxed the magazine springs.

VT

shabba4detroit is offline MotownSports Fan

My gun expert relative recommends a revolver with a safety for the novice handgun owner who will likely remain a novice one-gun owner (as opposed to his first gun on the way to becoming a gun guy). The reason being is safety -- it is easier to determine that the gun is unloaded, and most gun accidents occur when someone thinks a loaded gun is unloaded. He also says that things like size and brand are going to be specific to the user -- the right gun for you may not be the right gun for me. I don't know that I helped any at all, but enjoy the exercise of your second amendment rights.
    ‎"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

William Earnest Harwell (1918-2010), from the Song of Solomon.

LJK004 is offline MotownSports Fan

I have to agree with what Huey said. If you have no intentions on carrying it for personal protection, get a nice 12 guage pump shotgun. A good shotgun is better for in home protection and a good quality one is substantially cheaper than a high quality handgun. Furthermore, there is a lot less hassle in getting a shotgun than a handgun. No permits required, and no waiting. You walk into the store and pick it out and go home with it that day. Again though, you pay for quality. If you spend $100, you get a $100 gun, if you spend $500 you have a much nicer piece, and isn't your life worth a few extra bucks?

If you are determined to go with a handgun, and it is again only for the home, not carry, a revolver is an excellent choice. Reason number one, for an inexperienced shooter, the probability of malfunction is less. As Huey also mentioned, springs weaken over time and dust/grime can get in it over time as well. A revolver isn't nearly as picky as a semi-auto when left alone for long periods of time. Lastly, if a revolver does misfire, you just pull the trigger again and move on. No messing with racking slides, possibly having to dig a bullet out, etc. Of course, that being said, do not neglect your firearm. Treat it right and it will treat you right.
    2012 Adopt a Tiger - Matt Hoffman

toadhunter911 is offline MotownSports Fan

Some good advice here.

For a used handgun, like a Taurus revolver in .38 caliber, figure between $250.00 and $300.00.
    “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 NIV84

John_Brian_K is offline MotownSports Fan

I have a 12 gage sitting 2 inches from my head at night...along with a mag light a pair of nun chucks and a machette....I never need them and you cannot see them because of the night stand, but when I first got the shotgun I felt much better and slept better at night...you just never know.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

Gehringer_2 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by LJK004 View Post
    ..... As Huey also mentioned, springs weaken over time .... .
    I don't doubt you and Huey are reporting fact about the weakening of magazine springs, but not being a gun person it peaks my engineering curiosity why manufacturers compromise their designs in this regard - or put differently, what other design choice are they making that is driving them to skimp on the robustness of the springs? There must be some as there is no metallurgical reason for a spring to ever weaken in service if it is well designed and applied -(just for contrast consider the virtually infinite cycle life of an automotive suspension coil). Something to do with weight or size no doubt. Maybe just good for business if it keep users coming back for replacement magazines.....
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

2014 AAT: Willy Adames
    2013 AAT: Javier Betancourt

Quote Originally Posted by Gehringer_2 View Post
    I don't doubt you and Huey are reporting fact about the weakening of magazine springs, but not being a gun person it peaks my engineering curiosity why manufacturers compromise their designs in this regard - or put differently, what other design choice are they making that is driving them to skimp on the robustness of the springs? There must be some as there is no metallurgical reason for a spring to ever weaken in service if it is well designed and applied -(just for contrast consider the virtually infinite cycle life of an automotive suspension coil). Something to do with weight or size no doubt. Maybe just good for business if it keep users coming back for replacement magazines.....
    This....it is ALWAYS this.
    "And that is part of the larger pattern of the appeal of a new online collectivism that is nothing less than a resurgence of the idea that the collective is all-wise, that it is desirable to have influence concentrated in a bottleneck that can channel the collective with the most verity and force."

ballmich is offline MotownSports Fan

Some good advice in this thread. Definately do some soul searching to see if owning a gun is right for you. And if so, do the research and take a safety course.

But if you come to the conclusion that owning a gun is the route you want to go, and if it's purely for home protection purposes, go get yourself a cheap security model 20-guage shotgun. The sound of a shotgun chambering a shell is pretty universal, and should be a deterrant in and of itself. Everyone knows this sound. And if you do have to fire it, you really don't have to have great aim to him home. A moving target and lots of adrenaline make this an important feature.

But as Huey pointed out, get the right kind of shot, because otherwise it will end up in your neighbor's house. That's the last thing you want.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

drownwithyou is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by John_Brian_K View Post
    along with a mag light a pair of nun chucks and a machette....
    I bet an intruder would crap his pants if JBK came flying out of his bedroom with nunchucks and a machette.
    2014 AAT: Guido Knudson Lakeland stats: 4.2 IP - 0.00 ERA, 0.857 WHIP, 10 K/4 BB, 2 Saves
    Twitter | Last.fm | Blog

Furthermore, there is a lot less hassle in getting a shotgun than a handgun. No permits required, and no waiting. You walk into the store and pick it out and go home with it that day. Again though, you pay for quality. If you spend $100, you get a $100 gun, if you spend $500 you have a much nicer piece, and isn't your life worth a few extra bucks?
    In California there is a registration process, and it does take about a week. So you can't walk out with it same-day. It cost around $25 or so.

As far as the cost, for a novice who simply is planning to use it for home defense, I'd recommend a cheaper model. In the event that you do use it, almost certainly it will be confiscated as part of the investigation, in which case you will be without it for a long time (if you ever see it again).

I also think for a novice, a 20-guage works just as well for this situation, and with less recoil than the 12-guage. But that's personal opinion.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight; my goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me. -- Psalm 144:1-2

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    I bet an intruder would crap his pants if JBK came flying out of his bedroom with nunchucks and a machette.
    Yeah it is a pretty funny visual...they have always been there before I got the shotgun...so I just kind of left them there...I always grab the shotgun first when I hear a noise at night.

You know, they say that hanging a US flag in front of your house is a deterrant, because often it is synonomous with a gun-toting military veteran. So if you are on the fence on getting a gun, perhaps just a flag and a good baseball bat will suffice for home defense.

The problem lies with the fact that the spring is constantly compressed and not cycling throughout its designed range. Metalurgically, the weakining of the spring would be negligible, however from a design standpoint is where you run into the issue. If a spring is always compressed then it will tend to lose some of its springiness.

Quote Originally Posted by ballmich View Post
    In California there is a registration process, and it does take about a week. So you can't walk out with it same-day. It cost around $25 or so.

As far as the cost, for a novice who simply is planning to use it for home defense, I'd recommend a cheaper model. In the event that you do use it, almost certainly it will be confiscated as part of the investigation, in which case you will be without it for a long time (if you ever see it again).

I also think for a novice, a 20-guage works just as well for this situation, and with less recoil than the 12-guage. But that's personal opinion.

Here in Michigan, we don't have a wait period on shotguns, only handguns. As for the cost of a handgun purchase permit, I'm not sure, as I haven't needed one due to the rules being different for persons who have a CPL (concealed pistol license).

As for the advice, true a cheap one may be better in that regard, but I still wouldn't go for the really cheap ones, if for no other reason than I think my safety/life is worth the extra couple bucks on a 1 time purchase. Secondly, in the event that an intruder is in your house, you'll have so much adrenaline flowing you won't even notice the recoil, and I want something that drops an intruder in one shot. A 20 ga. is an excellent weapon, but I'm going for pure dropping power and getting the 12 ga.

DaYooperASBDT is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with what Huey said. If you have no intentions on carrying it for personal protection, get a nice 12 guage pump shotgun. A good shotgun is better for in home protection and a good quality one is substantially cheaper than a high quality handgun. Furthermore, there is a lot less hassle in getting a shotgun than a handgun. No permits required, and no waiting. You walk into the store and pick it out and go home with it that day. Again though, you pay for quality. If you spend $100, you get a $100 gun, if you spend $500 you have a much nicer piece, and isn't your life worth a few extra bucks?

If you are determined to go with a handgun, and it is again only for the home, not carry, a revolver is an excellent choice. Reason number one, for an inexperienced shooter, the probability of malfunction is less. As Huey also mentioned, springs weaken over time and dust/grime can get in it over time as well. A revolver isn't nearly as picky as a semi-auto when left alone for long periods of time. Lastly, if a revolver does misfire, you just pull the trigger again and move on. No messing with racking slides, possibly having to dig a bullet out, etc. Of course, that being said, do not neglect your firearm. Treat it right and it will treat you right.
    Good point. A round of #00 buckshot will take care of any intruders quite nicely! At close range #4 will do the trick - and would be better choice for urban areas as mentioned above! I have been thinking about getting a pistol someday for tramping around in the U.P. - which I hear is starting to have a few large cats running around. (note that I avoided the C word)

Right now I only have a .410 shotgun, and a .22 rifle for plinking. I've been borrowing rifles for deer hunting but plan to finally get a bolt-action 30-06, probably a Rem 770, next fall.
    Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 12-27-2011 at 03:25 PM.
    2014 Adopt A Tiger: Casey Crosby
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

The thing is that I am quite poor myself. I don't think I have anything anyone would want to steal. I have an old large TV that is worthless and heavy and would be more pain to move than it's worth. My computer is 5 years old (runs fine). I guess a cell phone would be worth something, but I hate that piece of crap smartphone so much that I'd be glad to get rid of it.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Blog Entries

I wish somebody would steal my whole damn house, I must owe at least 15K more than it's worth.
    Dad had a CPL (obtained in early 60's after buying a tavern), and he carrried something similar to this
    for about 50 years (.38 service revolver)

Last edited by DaYooperASBDT; 12-27-2011 at 03:30 PM.
    These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... Morons.
    VT

The problem isn't so much with the actual theft of things. The problems lies in the fact that the intruder doesn't know you don't have anything to steal, and if you meet face-to-face...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drownwithyou View Post
    He should add a gasoline can, at least!

And remember, with a pistol you might get to do this:

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
    VT

Who is the Drizzle? is offline MotownSports Fan

Don't buy something so expensive that you'll miss it if an intruder steals it.
    We will bankrupt ourselves in the vain search for absolute security. - DDE
    Those who take the extreme positions in American political and economic life are always wrong. - DDE

Quote Originally Posted by DaYooperASBDT View Post
    Good point. A round of #00 buckshot will take care of any intruders quite nicely! At close range #4 will do the trick - and would be better choice for urban areas as mentioned above! I have been thinking about getting a pistol someday for tramping around in the U.P. - which I hear is starting to have a few large cats running around. (note that I avoided the C word)
    Right now I only have a .410 shotgun, and a .22 rifle for plinking. I've been borrowing rifles for deer hunting but plan to finally get a bolt-action 30-06, probably a Rem 770, next fall.
    Personally, at my house, I use low-recoil #00 buckshot. However, being able to quickly and accurately fire the gun is of extreme importance when using this method. If you miss the target, catastrophic consiquences can occur. In other words, don't miss. I also like to keep a few slugs handy just in case, the problem being, if you have a need to reload you are in a real world of (trouble)... Of course the .45 is ready to go as well. Am I nuts? Maybe, but I bet whoever decides to break into my house would wish he hadn't...
    Last edited by LJK004; 12-27-2011 at 04:10 PM.

H&R (Harrison and Richardson make some fine weapons on the lower end of cost. When my simple .22 revolver began misfiring, I found the firing pin was hitting between the rounds in the cylinder. The mainspring was broken and it was plastic. For $9, I ordered two made of spring steel. Why would they compromise on such a major component?

VT

Blog Entries

Yeah, 00 buckshot leaves a nice sized hole at ranges of 5 to 15 yards, but no room for error.
    Turkey hunters tend to use something like #4 to provide more room for error (and it's illegal in MI to smaller than #4 on turkey).
    VT

zimm is offline MotownSports Fan

please remember that if you buy a gun of any sort, and a criminal breaks in while you are not home, he will take the gun unless you have a heck of a gun safe (which is probably not in your budget.) i don't think i'd ever want to be responsible for putting a gun into the hands of a criminal as a result of my actions, unwittingly or not. and since you're buying a gun because of a reasonable fear of break ins and you know you'll be leaving your house all the time, it's only a logical consequence that any gun you buy will be stolen if you do not have a chance to use it to prevent the theft.
    Last edited by zimm; 12-27-2011 at 04:48 PM.
    Evil

Originally Posted by CASPER WELLS:
    Don't make me come out to Ferndale and whip your ***, boy.

Good addition Zimm.

VT

Quote Originally Posted by zimm View Post
    please remember that if you buy a gun of any sort, and a criminal breaks in while you are not home, he will take the gun unless you have a heck of a gun safe (which is probably not in your budget.) i don't think i'd ever want to be responsible for putting a gun into the hands of a criminal as a result of my actions, unwittingly or not. and since you're buying a gun because of a reasonable fear of break ins and you know you'll be leaving your house all the time, it's only a logical consequence that any gun you buy will be stolen if you do not have a chance to use it to prevent the theft.
    It was not a result of your actions....I guess I must be a cold hearted bastage because I would not lose much sleep over some criminal breaking into my home and using my gun to shoot someone....same as I would not feel guilty if a thief stole my car and used it to run over someone.

JGROTH is offline MotownSports Fan

I sense a lot of overkill in this forum. First of all, a 410 with #4 shot is just as effective,and a lot less kickback as a 12 gauge for home protection. For in car protection in sugest a 22 with a 4"bbl.. For carrying, I feel a38,2"bbl.,loaded with 38p,95 gr ammo. I must say a a gun owner(last count over 200) I have my favorites which are different than I mentioned above.

Johnny Mac is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

My family members own a bunch of guns, my dad has a double barrel shotgun, a rifle and a handgun. My uncles both own a lot of firearms, varying all sorts of kinds. I shoot at our cottage in the UP a lot. This past year I got to shoot a sniper rifle a friend of mine owned. That was awesome.

Myself, I only own one gun. And I would recommend it for someone who has less knowledge and is looking to get a gun.

Ruger® New Model Single-Six® Convertible Single-Action Revolver Models
    2010 AAL Louis Delmas - 84 tackles 2 sacks 2 FF - Pro Bowl Alternate
    2010 AAW Johan Franzen (Mule) - 76 games 28 goals 27 assists +5
    2011 AAT Jhonny Peralta .324/.359/.500 1 HR 4 RBI

Auburndale Ray is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

My guns are not for show nor are they collector items...
    They have no historical value nor sentimental value...
    They are for self-defense...
    I know how to use them effectively...
    And I feel safer with them in my house...
    It's not that I dwell on their presence...
    But I am glad to know that I have them, if needed...

With the talk of revolvers and shotguns, Taurus offers a compromise in their Judge and variants. 5 shot revolver capable of firing .44 long colt cartridges or .410 shotgun rounds.

VT

The problem lies with the fact that the spring is constantly compressed and not cycling throughout its designed range. Metalurgically, the weakining of the spring would be negligible, however from a design standpoint is where you run into the issue. If a spring is always compressed then it will tend to lose some of its springiness.

Forgive another OT chime, but actually LJK - that is exactly what will not happen unless the design puts the metal beyond the elastic limit in the compressed state, which a 'good' design (good from the standpoint of the spring that is) will not. A spring can be held in a compressed state indefinitely without loss of force produced as long as the design is correct. Again, think of your car. Its sits on springs in a highly compressed state for years with no return force degradation. It's not hard to imagine why they probably push the spring very close and thus occasionally over that limit (and thus to incremental degradation) in order to save deadspace in the magazine. They don't have to do that, but it probably would cost them some other objective like magazine length that is judged to be more important.

I was just surprised that that is apparently the design decision made. I would have thought that reliability would always be paramount in weapon design - so an interesting point to learn.
    Last edited by Gehringer_2; 12-28-2011 at 01:03 AM.
    You argue with the umpire because there is nothing else you can do about it. - Leo Durocher

Actually your springs on your car do degrade substantially over 100K. You just accept the softer ride and related loss of handling. You will find most automotive enthusiasts will replace shocks at about 50K and springs at twice that to restore the new car agility.
    In case of the ammo magazine, it will only be the first round that will jam. the rest will normally function correctly. May have to do with "bedding" in the top of the magazine. The problem is exacerbated with non round tip ammunition. the idea of poor construction to have owners buy new magazines is only applicable to the ignorant owner. Simply relieving the tension for a short period of time, will allow them to be reused. I don't know if this is inherent in all magazine fed weapons, I doubt it is. I would associate it more with mass produced firearms at the lower end of the market.

VT

Something I usually add to discussions for new gun owners. A question of cost was in the title and the answer is more broad than we have covered. What are you willing to spend and I don't mean out of you wallet. Will you ever use the weapon for self defense? CAN YOU? Can you take a human life under any circumstances? Could you live with the consequences? You drop that hammer or allow that firing pin to drive into the primer and your life is immediately changed forever. Right or wrong, your head is forever altered. Will you take the time to retain proficiency through regular practice? Even at 10'; in the dark and afraid, the human body becomes a small target if your aiming point is not automatically felt.

VT

Quote Originally Posted by hueytaxi View Post
    Actually your springs on your car do degrade substantially over 100K. You just accept the softer ride and related loss of handling. You will find most automotive enthusiasts will replace shocks at about 50K and springs at twice that to restore the new car agility.
    In case of the ammo magazine, it will only be the first round that will jam. the rest will normally function correctly. May have to do with "bedding" in the top of the magazine. The problem is exacerbated with non round tip ammunition. the idea of poor construction to have owners buy new magazines is only applicable to the ignorant owner. Simply relieving the tension for a short period of time, will allow them to be reused. I don't know if this is inherent in all magazine fed weapons, I doubt it is. I would associate it more with mass produced firearms at the lower end of the market.
    Hmm - so the '1st' round would be when the spring force is highest - correct? That adds sufficiently to my confusion that I shall have to sleep on it....

Hmm - so the '1st' round would be when the spring force is highest - correct? That adds sufficiently to my confusion that I shall have to sleep on it....
    I wonder if the 1st round under the highest spring pressure is possibly pushed out of full alignment. When this has happened to me, I have inserted a fresh round into the receiver prior to inserting a magazine. I wonder if "jacking" a round into the empty receiver instead would eliminate the occasional jam. I need to go to the range and play. This needs research and I like this type of research.

VT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast