Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DTroppens is offline MotownSports Fan

Default The 2012 Motownsports concert thread

I thought it would be cool to see all the concerts from all around the world (well the U.S.) people from the message board go to. Even if they aren't groups I like or even know, I like to see where people go.

Maybe we can say what we liked about the concerts or hated or just anything. Maybe a couple of us will be at the same concert and can say "Hi" just for 10 seconds. Or maybe the thread will give someone a chance to just say they are seeing one of their favorite groups.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

I started this thread right now, because I have my first concert tickets for the season.
    While watching the Pistons, we saw a commercial for Megadeth, Motorhead and two other groups I've never heard of.

These are clearly not my favorite groups. In fact, I'll probably not like the concert. But my wife loves groups like these. So we bought tickets.

We'll be at the Palace on Feb. 9, 2012 for the show. Got lucky - have two reserved tickets for just $36. I can't recall ever going to a concert at the Palace for such a cheap price.
    "Only Lions fans can predict a victory when their starting quarterback has a broken arm." -unknown

"I'm going to go the Pistons' game tonight and watch Sheed jack up threes." -unknown

Dirk Diggler is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by DTroppens View Post

We'll be at the Palace on Feb. 9, 2012 for the show. Got lucky - have two reserved tickets for just $36. I can't recall ever going to a concert at the Palace for such a cheap price.
    Wow! They usually charge at least $36 in just ticketmaster and facility fees, that's a great price.

My wife is dragging me to the Kenny Chesney and Tim McGraw concert at the football stadium here in Tampa in June. She scored 8th row tickets, so it should be pretty interesting. That's our first planned show of the year.
    Adopt-a-Tiger: 08' Lucas French, 09' Andrew Oliver 1-0 vs NCAA, 10' Daniel Fields

Adopt-a-Lion: 08' Dan Orlovsky, 09' Jeff Backus

ewsieg is offline MotownSports Fan

Tool is coming to Toledo, I won't be able to make it as i'll be out of town, but what a show that will be.
    VT

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

January 17 we are seeing Jake Shimabukuro at the Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane.

He is amazing.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Blue Square Thing is online now MotownSports Fan

I don't actually have the ticket yet, but I'll be away to get a Big Country one next week - playing up at the University of East Anglia and, allegedly, playing the entire Crossing album.

We bought tickets for what will be our second concert of the year. The first one is Megadeth and Motorhead - definitely my wife's tastes. I wouldn't ever go to that concert myself.

But concert No. 2 is influenced by my wife as well. But over the years, I've become a big fan of his as well.

Weird Al Yankovic at the Fox Theatre on May 5.

A link to my favorite Weird Al song - The Night Santa Went Crazy

Weird Al Yankovic - The Night Santa Went Crazy - YouTube

This summer will include a Poison/Def Leppard concert as well. Bret Michaels brought it up on his solo tour to Mt. Pleasant (I wasn't there, heard about it), and it's on the Poison facebook page as well.

I would guess there's a decent chance Poison will come as the headliner as well later in the summer, kind of like they did last year. Detroit is a big Poison venue, so I figure if they did that last year (and it was successful), there's got to be at least a 33% chance it will happen again this year. Last year they didn't mention the concert until the day of their first concert (I think with Motley Crue if I remember correctly).

TigersFan81371 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

We bought tickets for what will be our second concert of the year. The first one is Megadeth and Motorhead - definitely my wife's tastes. I wouldn't ever go to that concert myself.
    One of the opening bands is Volbeat, who I think is an odd fit for a Megadeth/Motorhead bill. They've got a different flavor. Here's a link to their latest album.

Beyond Hell / Above Heaven by VOLBEAT | Album | Listen for Free and Download

"Fallen" and "Warrior's Call" are the tunes that have gotten radio airplay. If you like the stuff you hear on the album, you can check out a couple earlier albums on the MySpace page.

The other opener is Lacuna Coil. I haven't really kept up with their music since "Heaven's A Lie" became a hit around '03.

Lacuna Coil Music | Listen for Free and Download
    @MrPaulOzzOslund Model citizen, zero discipline.
    *2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Harold Castro.
    *All-Time Adopt-A-Tiger: Paul Carey, Bluhm Memorial Detroit Tigers HOF Inductee

MelissaG915 is offline MotownSports Fan

seeing Jane's Addiction in February if I can get someone to work for me. Also seeing Anthony Bourdain, although I don't know if that counts as a "concert".
    AAT '12 - Dan Schlereth

The Captain is offline MotownSports Fan

I want to see Foster the People when they come to the Fillmore in June.

Auburndale Ray is online now MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Well...Glen Campbell has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease and short-term memory loss...
    But instead of sitting around his house and dying at age 75...
    He has recorded a new album and is going on his "GOODBYE" Tour...
    He is coming to Florida in Feb. and March and I hope to be able to attend one of them...
    I noticed he is coming to Michigan several times and other parts of the country...
    Here is his tour schedule:

Tour | Glen Campbell

Here is one of his just recorded tunes:
    Ghost On The Canvas...

Last edited by Auburndale Ray; 01-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Debating Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They have a few shows in Michigan or close to the area.

Van Halen, for some reason, doesn't appeal to me.

lesgoblu02 is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Debating Red Hot Chilli Peppers. They have a few shows in Michigan or close to the area.
    Was debating this as well. Then I saw John left the band and heard their first single. That's a big no.

Have Black Keys tickets in Austin in April. Very pumped.
    Every time you play a hand of you poker you wanna run through a mental check list. Head Position Hand Position Neck Position Breathing Posture. More than 25 items. It's a lot. And that why I've come up with a handy mnemonic device. Just one word: HPHPNPBPECMSPAMDCPAFTSTTL. It's easy.

jj04 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    January 17 we are seeing Jake Shimabukuro at the Bing Crosby Theater in Spokane.

He is amazing.
    How was the show?
    B.R.B. (1981-2007) We only part to meet again
    My music blog
    AAT on Brian's behalf: Jake Thompson

monkeynuts is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by lesgoblu02 View Post
    Was debating this as well. Then I saw John left the band and heard their first single. That's a big no.

Have Black Keys tickets in Austin in April. Very pumped.
    I saw The Black Keys on Dec. 30, 2010 at the Aragon in Chicago. While it was a good show, it wasn't the best...but I think that might have been more venue-related than anything they did. I love them, but haven't purchased tix yet for the at the Joe in March. I just don't think they'll be that great in a huge venue....that's not them.

Coldplay just announced an August 1st concert at the Palace I hate the Palace for concerts...but I might just be seeing those lads from Britain for a fifth time in concert this summer! I so much prefer them outdoors (seen them at DTE and Riverbend in Cincy and twice at the Palace)...but I'll take what I can get.

Coldplay announces stop at the Palace | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
    Obama '12

2012 MSU Football Unofficial Adopt-A-Spartan - Larry Caper

alwaysthrowheat is offline MotownSports Fan

Saw my favorite hip-hop performer XV a couple nights ago at a small venue here at school. He puts on a fantastic show. One of his songs is on NBA 2k12.

Concert #1 of 2012 is done.

Megadeth, Motorhead and Volbeat. Laucna Coil also played, but we missed them.

Volbeat was the best of the group. The other two don't match my tastes. Megadeth is "must go" material for my wife. I don't care for them at all. Well, a song or two are okay, but my wife loves them. We haven't missed them when they've come to Detroit in the last three years.

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jj04 View Post
    How was the show?
    Astounding. He truly is one of the great musicians of any instrument or genre. He does an incredible amount of stuff with that one uke.
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

tigerbomb13 is offline MotownSports Fan

It's Metro Times Blowout time again. It usually takes me nearly an entire week to recover from this!

2014 Adopt-A-Tiger: Robbie Ray

I think I might be seeing the Magnetic Fields in Chicago next month as well.

NeedMoreLike84 is offline Released

I am taking my wife to see the Shins.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreLike84 View Post
    I am taking my wife to see the Shins.
    I saw them at the Magic Stick in 2001 (they were actually opening for Preston School of Industry!) for less than what the service fee costs. Has anyone ever mentioned how much Ticketbastard/Livenation sucks?

Shelton is online now MotownSports Fan

The shins are still around? Used to really like this band, but their live shows really bored me.

I wanted to go see the black keys when they played new years eve in Chicago but didn't. The Aragon is indeed a terrible venue.
    AAT: Ian Kinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Shelton View Post
    The shins are still around? Used to really like this band, but their live shows really bored me.

I wanted to go see the black keys when they played new years eve in Chicago but didn't. The Aragon is indeed a terrible venue.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. The first two albums were great, but Wincing the Night Away was a letdown for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbomb13 View Post
    I think I might be seeing the Magnetic Fields in Chicago next month as well.
    I'd be interested to hear how this concert was. I've heard a couple of their records and the new single and like their stuff. Their sound is almost baroque.
    My music blog

shauntacular is offline MotownSports Fan

Was also at Gigantour last Thursday, but missed out on Volbeat and Lacuna Coil which is okay. Motorhead tore the roof off the place. Megadeth was good but then Dave almost killed the whole show by going on this long political rant which was stupid and out of place for Detroit. Still -- glad I went. Lots of vintage metal patches on denim jackets!

I got a little too drunk last night and pulled the trigger on VH tickets. Kool and the Gang be damned.
    TheCaptain: Is it just me or does one of Fielder's sons look like Miguel Cabrera?

Highly unlikely we'll go, seeing as we have a five-month-old and all, but this looks very intriguing.

http://pitchfork.com/news/45357-meta...heir-festival/
    My music blog

I heard of a new concert that I'm about 99% certain I'll be at last night. Tickets go on sale early March for

Iron Maiden with special guest Alice Cooper!!!!
    I'm calling it the retirement home tour.

18th July - Detroit, MI - DTE Music Theatre

Poor Maiden. They are going to get outstaged by Cooper. His show was, by far, the most fan energetic crowd I've heard at Pine Knob in five years last year. The energy was so high that night, you could feel the hangover from it the next night when Tesla/Whitesnake came. A lot of the same people were there and it was a dead concert.

I've never seen Iron Maiden in concert, so that should be fun. But Cooper is only going to be with Maiden for a couple days after that concert and then will probably continue his own touring for the year. I'm really hoping this means we'll see Cooper on this date, plus maybe another date reasonably close to Detroit later in July or August doing his complete show.

Blog Entries

I'm calling it the retirement home tour.
    Why would you call it that? They're obviously not retired. Having seen Maiden a couple years ago at Pine Knob, I'd say there's no need for them to be thinking about retiring anytime soon. I'm guessing the same goes for Cooper because I've heard nothing but good things about his shows on this past tour.

"Retirement home tour"? That's just ****ing stupid, man.

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

I told my wife that no matter what I have to pay, I'm getting front row seats for Maiden this tour. I haven't missed a Detroit show since 1991, but I've never been closer than 20 rows. Who knows how many more times they'll play a full US tour, I've got to get front row just once.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

Blog Entries

The last Maiden show at Pine Knob, a couple summers ago, they focused mostly on material that they've done since Dickinson returned to the band. I wonder what kind of setlist they'd do for this one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TigersFan81371 View Post
    "Retirement home tour"? That's just ****ing stupid, man.
    Upon further reflection, that was kinda douchebaggy of me. Sorry, Trop.

Upon further reflection, that was kinda douchebaggy of me. Sorry, Trop.
    No problem. I didn't even see this until right now.

I was making fun of myself as much as the groups. I know neither have died. I've seen Alice Cooper a ton over the last five years and never miss one of his albums. Welcome 2 My Nightmare is my most listened to album right now. In fact, the guy never takes a break. But he did just turn 64, and even Alice Cooper has made fun of his age. And Iron Maiden is getting up there as well. Not at Cooper age, but still climbing that mountain.

But hey, I'm going to be there as well. There's no doubt about that. And I'm going to love every second of it. So, I really was picking fun at myself as much as the groups.

I'm all for artists continuing to play as long as they can as long as they are still a solid product. There's no question these two acts are still that. And how awesome is it that they can perform now and still make a living doing what they love. Like I said, it's pretty downright awesome.

If we both end up being there, we should stop and say hi for a few minutes.

Motor City Sonics is offline MotownSports Fan

Mike Doughty is tonight.
    World Series or Bust. Guess What? Bust........again.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sonics View Post
    Mike Doughty is tonight.
    Thumbs up. Does he play any Soul Coughing material?
    My music blog

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Going to see Radiohead in ATL in 6 days!!
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

dadair6 is offline MotownSports Fan

The last Maiden show at Pine Knob, a couple summers ago, they focused mostly on material that they've done since Dickinson returned to the band. I wonder what kind of setlist they'd do for this one.
    They haven't released a setlist, but they said it's going to be similar to the 1988 7th Son tour which was also the Maiden England video/DVD. Here's that setlist;

Moonchild, The Evil That Men Do, The Prisoner, Still Life, Die With Your Boots On, Infinite Dreams, Killers, Can I Play With Madness, Heaven Can Wait, Wasted Years, The Clairvoyant, Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, The Number Of The Beast, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden.
    Last edited by dadair6; 02-24-2012 at 08:06 PM.
    "This is Michigan, for god's sake!"
    -Brady Hoke

We have our tickets for the Iron Maiden/Alice Cooper show. Can't wait!

jonjd is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Furthur at Meadow Brook on July 18!

DEAD FREAKS UNITE: Who are you? Where are you? How are you?
    Retired. Thanks for the entertainment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast