Oblong is online now MotownSports Fan

Default HD Online - PC Question

I notice for mlb.tv it says I can watch the games online in HD. What do I need on my PC to enable that? My monitor has an analog and DVI input. Some type of card? I bought my PC in 2004, would it be "powerful" enough to handle whatever it is I'd need?

Corky is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I think it is a matter of resolution. What resolution numbers can your video card and monitor support? 720p is 1260 X 720
    2014 AAT - Phil Coke

I was thrown out of N.Y.U. my freshman year for cheating on my metaphysics final, you know. I looked within the soul of the boy sitting next to me. - Alvy Singer

Antrat is offline MotownSports Fan

For better picture quality always use the DVI or HDMI if you have those ports.
    Blows analog away.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

Yoda is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

I think for streaming online it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Not enough that you should have to go spend 100 bucks on a new video card, which in turn you'll need a bigger power supply, etc. Just try it out once the season starts, I think you'll be just fine.
    Up above, aliens hover, making home movies for the folks back home.
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think for streaming online it wouldn't make that much of a difference. Not enough that you should have to go spend 100 bucks on a new video card, which in turn you'll need a bigger power supply, etc. Just try it out once the season starts, I think you'll be just fine.
    Usually you would be right, but MLBTV really does stream HD. He would notice a difference using a digital connector.
    And yes, make sure the power supply can handle a more powerful card.
    I found that out the hard way.

EDIT: as far as a 6 year old PC being able to play the HD, if it's in the area of 3 gigahertz, you should be alright. Might notice some hitching in the stream.
    Last edited by Antrat; 04-02-2010 at 11:24 AM.
    My neighbor thinks I'm following or even stalking her, she is worried that I may be obsessed with her and any time she hears a noise in her house she is...purified? Oh, wait: petrified. Sorry, it's not easy reading a diary through binoculars from a tree.

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    I think it is a matter of resolution. What resolution numbers can your video card and monitor support? 720p is 1260 X 720
    This is the right answer. Since you are watching on your computer monitor just make sure that your video card and monitor support the necessary resolution. The stuff about HDMI cables only comes into play if you are trying to output the display to another device, like a HD TV.

Other than resolution, the other problems that could arise are that 1) your CPU isn't fast enough, in which case the video might get choppy or freeze up, or 2) that your internet stream isn't fast enough to support the data flow, in which case the MLB app on your PC will tell you to go to a lower quality picture.
    Last edited by thewave84; 04-02-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Doesn't MLB.tv offer a trial? Or you can sign up and cancel any time on a prorated basis? Anyway, I remember trying it for a limited time a couple of years ago and ended up canceling. I'm not gonna sit in front of my computer to watch a game. I suppose you could stream to a laptop or stream to this:

MLB.com for iPad | MLB.com: Mobile

......this I am gonna get.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

thewave84 is offline MotownSports Fan

If you don't want to sit at your computer to watch the game I recommend the Roku box for displaying the mlb.com signal on your TV. The price is around $100. If you get the Roku box you don't have to worry about your PC, video card, CPU, at all because you won't use it.

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewave84 View Post
    If you don't want to sit at your computer to watch the game I recommend the Roku box for displaying the mlb.com signal on your TV. The price is around $100. If you get the Roku box you don't have to worry about your PC, video card, CPU, at all because you won't use it.
    Roku came out with a HD version of the box, as well. Roku is awesome. Wish NHL would get on board.

Greenwit is offline MotownSports Fan

Roku does Netflix too....heard only good things about it.
    Two words: Costa Rica.

DennisDubay is offline MotownSports Fan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwit View Post
    Roku does Netflix too....heard only good things about it.
    Netflix and Amazon movies, plus Pandora if you have your TV hooked up to surround sound is a nice feature.

I was going to pass on MLBTV this year, but someone very special surprised me yesterday with a $120 check.
    It's good to have quality people in your life.

;-)